Thread: R.I.P. Dodge Viper 1992-2011

Unhappy R.I.P. Dodge Viper 1992-2011

Who would win in a fight between a 3-headed hell hound and a snake? In a case important to a great number of high-horsepower-lovin' enthusiasts, it appears it's going to be Satan's canine.In all the hoopla over the past few weeks about Dodge's new entry to the Muscle Car Wars, the media stories popping up hinting Chrysler may be thinking about discontinuing the Dodge Viper have gone relatively ignored by the majority of the product press. Unfortunately for those with a love of the serpentine-named supercar, we've learned through several of our sources that the decision to kill off the next generation of the Dodge Viper has already been made.

more:
    http://jalopnik.com/354292/the-dodge...-send-rd-funds

Default Re: R.I.P. Dodge Viper 1992-2011

This may be more of a result of the new CAFE standards along with their rebuilding plan. Both Ford & GM have also made dramatic decisions regarding High output V8s as they prepare for the 35mpg standards which will go into law in the not too distant future. Spending mass $$$ on a new Viper that won't top the current models simply because of federal Law just doesn't seem to do the namesake justice.

Granted they probably could do it... but they are not in the financial state to warrant those efforts.

Even the Corvette isn't immune to drastic change. The modern Muscle Car era is starting to come to a close.

But while change can be hard, just like loosing your beloved family dog, One can still find room in their hearts to adopt a new addition to the family.... I refer to the Tesla Roadster.
    Last edited by ScarCrow28; 02-08-2008 at 06:22 PM.

As sweet as the tesla roadster is, or any electric supercar, they just won't have that heart throbbing rumble.

...I'll still buy a 2010 Dodge challenger

Quote Originally Posted by Z28 Autobot View Post

Who would win in a fight between a 3-headed hell hound and a snake? In a case important to a great number of high-horsepower-lovin' enthusiasts, it appears it's going to be Satan's canine.In all the hoopla over the past few weeks about Dodge's new entry to the Muscle Car Wars, the media stories popping up hinting Chrysler may be thinking about discontinuing the Dodge Viper have gone relatively ignored by the majority of the product press. Unfortunately for those with a love of the serpentine-named supercar, we've learned through several of our sources that the decision to kill off the next generation of the Dodge Viper has already been made.

more:
    http://jalopnik.com/354292/the-dodge...-send-rd-funds
    SON OF A BITCH!
    "...my heart is turned to stone; I strike it, and it hurts my hand..."

i will own a dodge viper one day!

Quote Originally Posted by xAgonyxScenex View Post
    i will own a dodge viper one day!
    Same here.

I'm not happy one bit with Chrysler's decision to kill the Viper. The Challenger's already lost my vote. The car just looks bland - compared to even the Mustang GT, it's surprisingly blah in the looks department. With the new Camaro being considered, it's no contest - winner, Chevrolet. Then, on top of that, it looks to be a porker - Edmunds' Inside Line once estimated it to be around 3600 lbs., and I can't imagine that the production version will be significantly less, if any. The final nail in the coffin is the fact that for what looks to be this first model year (and maybe beyond), there's going to be no manual. Not even an option. It was bad enough in the 300C and Charger SRT-8 models, but that's just inexcusable here. Even the Mustang had the good graces to shore up a five-speed from word, "Go."

But never mind the Challenger. Why is it, with all the other completely crap models in the combined lines of Chrysler, they opt to kill the one car that, some 19 years ago, almost single-handedly saved Dodge from irrelevance, if not outright extinction? Hell, if someone over there had half a working brain, they'd realize that it could save their asses once again, with some half-decent promotion and the cutting of a whole lot of lineup fat. No one needs the Nitro, Avenger, Sebring, Aspen, PT Cruiser, Caliber, and Compass. And what's this crap I'm hearing about "better interiors"? The last few Dodges I've sat in and driven have had good interiors. You want leather and wood lining your dash, buy a frickin' Benz.

Frankly, while my love for the Viper and Charger will never die, my support for the company behind them - or at least, the current people in charge of it - has just dried up.
    "You can't fix stupid." - Ron White

Shame about the Viper. It was a beast. Scar is right though. But its a shame because this new round of Muscle Car wars didn't even get started if you look at it that way with these new regulations. Even the new Camaro is being rumored to have a Green option.

As far as Tesla though, the 100+k price tag is still a bit steep for something that looks like a Ferrari mated with a Miata. Not to mention their Federal Air Bag Exemption would make me hesitant until they complied. Yes it is all electric and the exemption is to help bring it to the market quicker. But it is still under that "novel and exclusive" category. ...and fodder for a whole new thread itself.

Yah vipers are really cool...hell you don't have to own one...just save up a grand and you can rent one for a day or two at most dream car rentals. Be a great ride to have while you're on vacation

As for the challenger being bland..it is slightly different than the concept version...but me thinks the blandness was a marketing schem to see what the aftermarket will come up with. Trust me...the second year and 3rd year challengers will reign supreme over the mustangs with aftermarket wall stripes...rims, and a shaker hood. If Dodge pulls up their socks, we'll see a 6.1 based 426 under the hood complete with a shaker hood. They'll sell more of these cars at $50g's than the viper ever did..
    ...expect to see a lot of charger owners trading in their srt's for the new challenger

It needed to die(hibernate hopefully). Almost 20 years old and the way the market is going now its financially better for Dodge to drop it. Not to mention its went down in popularity. When you ask people now that aren't into cars their usual top car would be Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, or an import manufacturer. Not to long ago, Viper was always listed.

Eventually the other muscle cars will become endangered creatures as well.Remember the Gremlin?How bout the Pinto?Rarely seen,yet pictures are still showing-up everywhere.The end of this majestic creature's production will only mean the preservation of the remaining Vipers alive today.We as human beings need to take the initiative and fight for the rights for this beast.Congress wants muscle cars extinct.Imagine going to an auto museum with your child and the area marked Viper...empty......sad but true.What ever happened to the Edsel?It all started with the ugly cars and their short history.They didn't stand a chance.Now the beautiful ones.I feel like I'm writing a similar story to Dr.suess's the Lorax.I'm saddened.The roar of its pipes will echo through the concrete jungle long after Diesel,Leaded gasoline,Unleaded gasoline,ethynol.....and on and on....

On a serious note:The car did absolutly well when it first appeared.The car is like the last person stated before I did.it more than likely saved dodge.I dont recall their trucks being popular then either.until after the Viper/Prowler/pt cruiser/ram truck designs.My grandfather had a 90's dodge truck before the new designs.It was uuuuuuuggghhhhh-leeeeee.

Well you guys can thank Mercedes Benz for basically sucking the money out of Chrysler.
    Before MB bought out Chrysler in the merger of "equals" mother mopar was actually the most profitable of the big 3..they had the best lineup at the time..cab forward..new designs and yes the new PT was about to debut..remeber the Pronto? MB basically sucked every dime from them before tossing them to CERBERUS..The Viper would be on a roll and on par with today IF MB was not owner for a while.
    The other thing is CAFE is killing much of the cars in mopar..and the rating of the Challenger?? Lets just say it is a retro car in both look and MPG..and performance is sub par..weight? try over 4000lbs. But back to CAFE..to compete Chrysler really has to cut the cost and trim the products like mentione above..the PT, Nitro, Crossfire, Magnum and a few others are gone..redundant and not needed..
    and you will not ever see a 426 Challenger anymore with the CAFE standards...and if anything the Challenger is goingto cost close to 45K as is..that is sad..it is not a player to the Camaro and the Mustang..it is as it was just above and below like it was back in the heyday.
    Lets put it this way Mopar is in bad shape..and are behind Ford in the turnaround of the industry..GM has the boat in the right direction, Fords turning the ship still and Chrysler is still pumping water out of its boat and trying to make the turn to profit..

The Camaro is going to be a green muscle car..the Mustang is also going to "transform" to the point where it will be more of an option other than V8's for future performance..kinda like the 80's..anyone remember the Turbo T/A, or the Turbo Mustang GT, Syclone or Typhoon? V6 performance is going to be a real selling point for the future muscle car..and its not a bad thing..since the CTS is a base of 300HP right now..and a DI turbo version is looking to the 400+ version..
    Its going to be rough in the changing of things but at any time any one of these cars could be axed..the Camaro just got out alive..the RWD Impala and Buick and maybe GTO were axed..the Mustang might get pulled or put on a smaller platform ala Mustang 2..and Mopar well whos to say..they are making the cuts..

Do you really think that the camaro and mustang are that different from their 60's counterparts??? The fucking mustang still has wheelhop. I watched the debut of the supercharged gt500 at a local dragstrip, and the fucking car wheel hopped off the line with ...had so much trouble with traction and ran a best time of 12.20. The very same day, I watched a stock viper pull an 11.9 second time with no wheel hop and equipped with factory rubber. Both cars have IRS (independent rear suspension). I suspect the camaro will be similar to the mustang as it was in the 60's. Both cars need help from the aftermarket....

The challenger and viper are two different animals...

The street challenger weighs 4200 lbs, and a nifty telemetry gauge so that drivers can see their performance without going to the track. a race version can be bought from the factory with a 392 package with 535 hp and dana 60 rear end for those who dislike IRS (independent rear suspension)...The race version runs 11.5 seconds in the quarter mile right from the factory....cheaper than the viper...

The car was built for drag racers.....not the lemans

Whether they decide to deliver a 426 package from the factory...who cares, Aftermarket 6.1 based 426's are already being made, and well on their way to over 600 hp naturally aspirated

Ford and gm have to supercharge their engines to make that kind of power

As for turbo 6's....dodge already has turbo 4 cylinders that will run low 12's with minor modifications
    Last edited by guitarded; 02-11-2008 at 11:20 PM.

Thumbs up Re: R.I.P. Dodge Viper 1992-2011

Quote Originally Posted by guitarded View Post
    The challenger and viper are two different animals...

The street challenger weighs 4200 lbs, a race version can be bought with a 392 package with 535 hp and dana 60 rear end for those who dislike IRS (independent rear suspension)...The race version runs 11.5 seconds in the quarter mile right from the factory....cheaper than the viper...
    Ohh yea I know that...missions totally seperate for the Viper vs. Challenger..and the race version is not street legal..so that sucks..and kinda makes the street version of the Viper more credible..
    http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html

The car was built for drag racers.....not lemans
    The race version? Yea I guess for the price thats steep.. see how it sells..did you know GM and Ford also sold race versions of thier cars..

Whether they decide to deliver a 426 package from the factory...who cares, Aftermarket 6.1 based 426's are already being made, and well on their way to over 600 hp naturally aspirated
    Ford and gm have to supercharge their engines to make that kind of power
    You sure? From the factory sure but aftermarket? Heck back in 2002 I remeber the last Camaro's were being built aftermarket and Bergers with 427's in them with power around 550HP optional and that was all motor..But motors from the factory? The Z06 is a LS7 based 427 and 505 HP with no adder..give it to an aftermarket?? sure your talking 650 HP range..just like your aftermarket 6.1's
    GM sells NA HP crate engines..
    Multiple LSX engines that give anywhere from 450HP to 550+ HP..
    572 ci. BB 620 HP
    572ci. BB 720 HP

okay I am rambling I am off to bed

I'd never buy a crate motor from any company, be it gm ford, or chrysler. They are overpriced, and for the money, you can build a much stronger and more powerful motor elsewhere using nascar grade connecting rods and bolts...

Both versions of the challenger were built for drag racing...and the street challenger will sell successfully....I used to be a chevy guy...I don't hate them, and if I had the money, I'd buy both the challenger and a camaro. I just prefer mopar these days. I used to drive a hopped up 72 chevelle when I was 16......Fire engine red paint...chrome rims..modded 350, 350 turbo trans, and a 12 bolt rear end sporting 3.73 gears....I hated the rocker design in early gm's

If chrysler were to build a factory 6.1 based 426..it would have to be 600+ horsepower, since their crate 392 already cranks out 535 hp

As for the aftermarket 600 hp n/a 426's..yep...I'm sure. There's a place in texas formerly known as "The Hemi Shop" They've been working with the modern smaller hemi's since their debut, and have successfully planted one of their motors into a Magnum (wagon) which runs low 11's naturally aspirated. Another shop in minessota, called "Sharadon Performance" has built their own 392 and have been playing with superchargers and turbos. I myself have turbocharged my hemi truck to roughly 600 crank hp on a stock engine...which leads me to my next detail about a local shop 20 minutes from me called "For Hemi's Only." They build old school bigblock 426's that turn 700hp on an engine dyno...naturally aspirated. Imagine the power they get with a supercharger or turbo .They are doing the machining for my next motor, where with the use of my turbo will crank out 800 hp...not bad for a street 5.7 hemi
    Last edited by guitarded; 02-12-2008 at 12:06 AM.

ohh no doubt..hell look at what the Ford guys are doing with the Cobra's. sick cars..
    it comes down to if you have the $$$ you can buy the speed. And if your a mopar guy or GM or Ford you can buy a fast car and turn it faster.

But what I was getting at is the new goverment CAFE regulation that they just passed last month. If you have not read about it..I will look it up, but basically a factory large V8 with over 600HP is a pipe dream now for any company. The new regs just about crushed the HP wars to the point where V8's are going to cost a little more to make than before to be profitable. This ZR1 vette that just came out might be the last very fast vette for a while from the factory with that power and a bigger engine.
    One reason Mother Mopar dropped the Viper was cus of the regs comming out. The cost of such a short term and small profit just did not match up to the company.
    You should of heard about the stuff from Ford GM and Chrysler that was in the pipe till the goverment changed the rules..now..its all up in smoke..
    Thats what I was getting at man..and to bring it back yea I actualyl have seen one of the Magnums you are talking about..just a nice car with a very nice sound to it ..deff .not a grocery getter when its fired up

Maybe it should - R.I.P. internal combustion engine

Yes, I read about it in the paper.
    Somehow, I think Ferrari, and Lamborghini have a hand in it, because they are getting pissed off that americans can sell this kind of hp for less than $150g's...

..but if the government doesn't put a cap on the hp wars...where will it end?

...we'll just see 700hp turbo 4 cylinders like the older cosworths..but then again....a 35 mpg rule will affect everything...not just v8's.

I wonder how this will affect the pickup truck market...since they need to make some power for hauling and towing...

Yes, I read about it in the paper.
    Somehow, I think Ferrari, and Lamborghini have a hand in it, because they are getting pissed off that americans can sell this kind of hp for less than $150g's...

..but if the government doesn't put a cap on the hp wars...where will it end?

...we'll just see 700hp turbo 4 cylinders like the older cosworths..but then again....a 35 mpg rule will affect everything...not just v8's.

I wonder how this will affect the pickup truck market...since they need to make some power for hauling and towing...

Well it wont really affect the truck..its mostly the V8 cars that are the victims. The trucks have the MDS and DoD systems already and soon a Diesel hybrid system..

MDS is overated in trucks...because of their weight and aerodynamics of bricks.

The system is only practical on flat land...with a tail wind....any time you just touch the gas pedal, and all 8 cylinders kick on again

Diesel is the best route, they just need to incorporate electric heaters for winter time because they tend to run cooler than gas engines

I know a few construction workers and they swear by the MDS in thier trucks..they see the diff when they fill up..I was skeptical thats why i asked..but I guess with everything its how you use it. and GM has the hybrid pick up now and it is supposed to get really amazing gas milage..but again the towing suffers..

and yea Diesel is the way to go especially with the advances in that type of engine..

Its all new tech..and some will last some will fail..remeber the first MDS..the 4-6-8 Caddy engine...EEEK..

and on the way home today i saw a sweet 300C SRT-8..rolling down the highway..man that thing is sick..just one nice ride

yah, i remember the original caddy mds.....

I don't know how anyone can swear about mds in a truck...unless they're afraid to say they made a mistake....If you're towing anything...the mds will not work....it's the same system from any company...8 solenoids to keep the valves closed on 4 cylinders

To get good use out of it in a truck, they must be cruising at 40 mph on highways....

My truck does not have mds...but with the turbo on my hemi and cruising the highway at 74 mph (120 km/h) , I'll get 385 to 400 miles (620-650 km) on a 25 gallon (96 litre )tank of gas. My truck weighs 5800lbs

Damn thats good man for that truck..wow...and yea the guys I worked with do some 45 min on the highway to and from work..so I guess highway does work for them..they dont tow but they got some stuff in the bed..saws and stuff..next time I run into them working on a job I will ask them about the MPG..

My by far favorite car made in recent history. Damn sad.
    The only thing worse than stupid people are stupid people who bother me...
    Bumblebee1983:
    I'm da bomb.
    xXRavenXx:
    I'm Da Bomb... you can be my igniter though **Humms Light My Fire by The Doors** lol
    Bumblebee1983:
    As for being your igniter.....umm.....okay.
    xXRavenXx:
    **Thrilled with BB Raven sings afternoon delight from Anchorman**