Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grand theft Auto 4

Banned

Default Grand theft Auto 4

Release date: 4/29/08, 81 days left.
    http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/trailer_splash.html

This game will be massive, it will revolutionise video gaming. The biggest hit of the year, it will smash records.
    The added realism will be awesome, more pedestrians, stronger law enforcement, so many side missions... http://www.gta4.net/news/index.php

Video Games are the future of the entertainment industry, films won't be able to compete.
    Last edited by BeetleJuice; 02-08-2008 at 10:34 AM.

Default Re: Grand theft Auto 4

Man that looks Sick!!! The trailer was awesome! I'll be putting in a few hours on that one

Once the Uncanny Valley is crossed video games like this will practically die off. I don't see them as the future of entertainment. No one would want to play a game that looks real with a great story only to be interrupted by pushing buttons.

I don't think it will revolutionize gaming but it will the genre. I want to play and are eager to purchase it but I think it will be Saints Row with slightly better things. I predict a disappointment in gameplay (same old style run&gun). It will look purty but thats probably it. We haven't seen any gameplay footage yet, so in other words I don't have my hopes up. Biggest hit of the year is a guarantee.

I don't get involved with stories that glamorize crime.

even in Fable, I found it near impossible to finish the evilly.
    "...my heart is turned to stone; I strike it, and it hurts my hand..."

I so fucking can't wait.
    GTA was the only series I always bought a console for (expect the first ones of course).
    GTA 3 came out. I bought a PS2 extra for that. PC version came out, I sold my PS2.
    GTA San Andreas. Bought a PS2 again. pc version. bought that too.
    Now. GTA4. I'll buy a PS3 or Xbox360 (probably the latter, since its cheaper). as soon as the pc version comes out, I'll buy that and sell the console.
    If you have GTA you don't need any other game period. You can do ANYTHING in this game. It just blows me away each time. And finally it has fucking breathtaking graphics too. This is easily the most anticipated game of gaming history and the best one too.
    Ahhh, 2 more months.

The only other game I'm waiting for too is Heavy Rain (although completely different kind of game)
    Last edited by Simon; 02-10-2008 at 05:32 AM.

I just pre-ordered my copy today, I can't wait to play it.
    Jesus respawned in 3 days.....

Now that's lag.

this wont revolutionize anything. It'll be more of the same. Which is what people want. It'll be shitty graphics when compared to other games, and it'll probably have more shitty aiming controls.

Moderator / formerly "Gunrock" The Great's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xAgonyxScenex View Post
    this wont revolutionize anything. It'll be more of the same. Which is what people want. It'll be shitty graphics when compared to other games, and it'll probably have more shitty aiming controls.
    qft

Quote Originally Posted by Devastator View Post
    Once the Uncanny Valley is crossed video games like this will practically die off. I don't see them as the future of entertainment. No one would want to play a game that looks real with a great story only to be interrupted by pushing buttons.

I don't think it will revolutionize gaming but it will the genre. I want to play and are eager to purchase it but I think it will be Saints Row with slightly better things. I predict a disappointment in gameplay (same old style run&gun). It will look purty but thats probably it. We haven't seen any gameplay footage yet, so in other words I don't have my hopes up. Biggest hit of the year is a guarantee.
    Quantic Dream, the guys who made Indigo Prophecy and the Heavy Rain tech demo (view that here) claim they have crossed the Uncanny Valley. Here's the story to that:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=31603

Check out the other tech demo here:

http://kotaku.com/348511/heavy-rain-...rocks-my-world

This is gaming revolution right here!

A friend of mine watched a spot on this on the discovery channel.........quite impressive

...oh and by the way.....IF we'll see this in video games....imagine what the US military is doing with it right now
    Last edited by guitarded; 02-09-2008 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarded View Post

A friend of mine watched a spot on this on the discovery channel.........quite impressive

...oh and by the way.....IF we'll see this in video games....imagine what the US military is doing with it right now
    we wont...and if we do...it wont be for decades

Quantic Dream, the guys who made Indigo Prophecy and the Heavy Rain tech demo (view that here) claim they have crossed the Uncanny Valley. Here's the story to that:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=31603

Check out the other tech demo here:

http://kotaku.com/348511/heavy-rain-...rocks-my-world
    Yea I've seen that. Impressive and they're near the edge but its more than just a story and movement its also the look. If they created better textures and spent more time modeling they could back up their statement.

This will make everyone stupid, lol. It looks like a smaller version of Doc's brain scanner in Back to the Future.

lol, on a more positive note, this technology could prove useful for parapalegics or for those with any other spinal cord damage.

I suppose prosthesis would be a preliminary trial for this, depending on far away stem cell research is from perfection...

I always said...anything you see in science fiction will become a reality 10 -20 years down the road.

Yea I've seen that. Impressive and they're near the edge but its more than just a story and movement its also the look. If they created better textures and spent more time modeling they could back up their statement.

This will make everyone stupid, lol. It looks like a smaller version of Doc's brain scanner in Back to the Future.
    it's got nothing to do with textures. You could use textures from say mass effect, or even the textures in the Heavy Rain demo....whats going to make it more believable are the animations....animations are key. period. As long as the graphics are some what photo real, it's fine. they just have to work on new muscle structure movements for animation rigs.

I agree with you on that one Ag. Still some choppiness to take care of...but I don't think any of these standalone game consoles are strong enough to pull it off ....maybe on an "Alien" gaming computer....for those that want to spend that kind of dough

I agree with you on that one Ag. Still some choppiness to take care of...but I don't think any of these standalone game consoles are strong enough to pull it off ....maybe on an "Alien" gaming computer....for those that want to spend that kind of dough
    the current controllers are pretty damn near perfect

LOL...perfect until something better comes along

it's got nothing to do with textures. You could use textures from say mass effect, or even the textures in the Heavy Rain demo....whats going to make it more believable are the animations....animations are key. period. As long as the graphics are some what photo real, it's fine. they just have to work on new muscle structure movements for animation rigs.
    Its got everything to do with textures. It has to be absolutely real looking first with movement adding to the affect. Thats what crossing the Uncanny Valley is all about. This trailer is in the valley and never even came close to climbing out. Its only impressive because its for a game.

animations are not key. period

Its got everything to do with textures. It has to be absolutely real looking first with movement adding to the affect. Thats what crossing the Uncanny Valley is all about. This trailer is in the valley and never even came close to climbing out. Its only impressive because its for a game.

animations are not key. period
    dude...we're talking in the confines of a video game. Not a hyper photo real CG movie like Spirits Within.

Textures are a given for movies. They are going to look photo real. Textures in triple A video games, are considered photo real. Textures aren't even an issue, unless your a small independent development house with employees who aren't that skilled.

The Uncanny Valley has EVERYTHING to do with animations. The uncanny Valley refers to the tiny animations your cheeks make when you talk. The way the skin around your eyes stretches when you smile, or your eyes move around. This is what they refer to when they talk about over coming the uncanny valley. The stiffness of a face that makes it look fake.

I guarantee you if you took the textures of say Commander Shepard from Mass Effect and you were able to throw in all those tiny animations that make a character breathe life...you'd sit there slack jawed in marvel at how realistic it looked.

Let me even refer you to an entry in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

"...if the entity is "almost human", then the non-human characteristics will be the ones that stand out, leading to a feeling of "strangeness" in the human viewer."

In other words, if a CG character looks photo real, then any abnormal movements make it repulsive. Like the stiffness in the face from lack of proper animations. Thats what people refer to when they mention the Uncanny Valley in video games. The theory is "the more real something visibly looks, the more you notice unnatural things". Those things are and have always been animations, or the characters movement. I don't know who taught you about the Uncanny Valley...but they were very mistaken. =P

It always been about movements, no matter how photo real it is.

Sora....your in the video game industry..back me up!! haha
    Last edited by xAgonyxScenex; 02-11-2008 at 12:25 AM.

You're talking about being in it. They claimed to have crossed which is what I am trying to get you to understand. Read my previous statements more thoroughly please. I know the Uncanny Valley and I know what it takes to cross it. THIS is crossing it(virtually).

"There is no uncanny valley any more," declares French developer

You're talking about being in it. They claimed to have crossed which is what I am trying to get you to understand. Read my previous statements more thoroughly please. I know the Uncanny Valley and I know what it takes to cross it. THIS is crossing it(virtually).

"There is no uncanny valley any more," declares French developer
    Either I'm somehow not understanding what your tryign to say, or your not explaining it will enough.

they claim to have fixed it for the medium of video games, or at least fixed it to the point where it's gotten a lot better.

The link you sent is for absolutely getting out of the uncanny valley.

My point was....even if the textures looked that real, if the proper movement wasn't there, then your in the uncanney valley. If those types of realistic movements were put into the Heavy Rain character it would also move past the uncanney valley. My point was that getting out of the uncanny valley relies more on movement then textures.

I think whats confusing us both is the damn Wikipedia link where its about robots being close to humans more than it is about game/cg characters. I've been talking about cg characters it seems to me your referring to robots.

The HR character or any cg/video game character could have those realistic movements but it would need the textures to get out of the valley, not the other way around. If it doesn't look the part it fails before it even moves. Thus is the case with HR lady. For an example in film: look at the Spider-Man movies. He moves realistically but does he look that way? No, and we all have said that the cg looks like shit. Look at Hulk as well. Same thing.

We both know what we're talking about but it got lost on slightly different subjects. lol

Anyway GTA4; wasn't this supposed to have co-op of some sort?

I think whats confusing us both is the damn Wikipedia link where its about robots being close to humans more than it is about game/cg characters. I've been talking about cg characters it seems to me your referring to robots.

The HR character or any cg/video game character could have those realistic movements but it would need the textures to get out of the valley, not the other way around. If it doesn't look the part it fails before it even moves. Thus is the case with HR lady. For an example in film: look at the Spider-Man movies. He moves realistically but does he look that way? No, and we all have said that the cg looks like shit. Look at Hulk as well. Same thing.

We both know what we're talking about but it got lost on slightly different subjects. lol

Anyway GTA4; wasn't this supposed to have co-op of some sort?
    no i wasnt talking about robots...i was talking about video game characters. The term uncanny valley was coined by a robots designer anyways. The same principles apply. I didn't even look up uncanny valley in wikipedia until after i had posted the post where i linked it.

the uncanny valley refers to something that is realistic enough for us to have an emotional attachment too. I agree that realistic photo real textures are important, but without the proper "undead" movements you don't get a realistic look. When they talk about it in terms of robots they say that while the robots looks realistic (and realistic is a wide spectrum) the fact that it doesn't move like a human is what brings it into the uncanny valley. And by that it means when the robots talks, it might look real but as soon as it starts talking the only things moving is the mouth up and down like a puppet. It just looks off. You don't need things to be photo real to the point of not being able to distinguish it from an actual human to be able to come out of the uncanny valley. If thats what you think, your more then welcome to that opinion, you just aren't in the same opinion group as 99% of people who talk about the uncanny valley.

This whole time we have been talking about video games. This is considered photo real in the land of video games:

If that character model had the same degree of animation as that website you sent me...it would have successfully passed the uncanny valley. Hell it doesn't even need the degree of animation to pass the uncanny valley. Thats what these guys are talking about, and that what EVERYBODY in the games industry has been talking about. Hence why i have been saying that movements are more important then the quality of photo real. Photo real can be a wide range of texture detail under the right artificial lighting conditions.

Here is a great article that talks about the Uncanny Valley that you should read.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6153667/index.html

It ALL talks about subtly in movements and animations. I think you understand the concept of the Uncanny Valley, I just think you are looking at it the wrong way. You can't compare the Uncanny Valley in movies to the Uncanny Valley in video games...totally different ball park. also, I think you are relying WAAAY to heavily on absolute perfection in terms of textures and movement. As long as something looks and move real enough for you to have a positive emotional response to the subject. And your able to see it as realistic without it looking overly disturbing, then you've crossed the Uncanny Valley.

As for GTA...no co-op but they will have multiplayer...which will fall apart horrible if they dont fix the aim mechanic. which I hear they are working on, with an over the shoulder ala Gears of War feel to it.
    Last edited by xAgonyxScenex; 02-11-2008 at 02:37 AM.

Fuck, its about 5:30 in the fucking morning and I've been up since 7. I don't know what the fuck I was thinking yesterday or tonight. God, I feel like such an ass. Just now I realized maybe this isn't my field to get into. Everything that's been taught to me is wrong or I half understand it. That's it, no more. I quit. I'm going back to comics, writing, and books.

yer the game may look good but compared to Mass Effect it's still behind the 8ball.