Thread: I saw TLK and this needs a Director's Cut

Senior Member Bot of Badassness's Avatar

Default I saw TLK and this needs a Director's Cut

I'm still alive! I've been back home in New Zealand for a few weeks now after spending over two months travelling Europe (and going to Egypt!) and going around the UK, just when The Last Knight came out too! It was my first movie in IMAX, and I saw it in IMAX 3D of course. Got to see lots of the filming locations while I was there too.

The movie, though, oh boy. I was extremely disappointed and really didn't enjoy it. My main issues were that the first hour or so was incredibly rushed and choppy and that the action throughout the movie had no rhythm to it. You could almost feel that the movie had been entirely butchered. My least favourite part of the whole movie was Megatron's negotiation with the US military. The whole sequence felt rushed and had no atmosphere, plus the Decepticon names appearing onscreen was just plain weird.

What did I learn shortly afterwards? The movie was incredibly cut down, no doubt on studio orders. Whole sections were removed such as the stuff at Newcastle, whole character arcs were removed such as Cogman using his Headmaster ability, Bumblebee duking it out with Barricade in London, and Sqweek's big transformation moment that we were promised. I feel not only were these cut for time but the studio instead wanted to save these payoff moments for a future movie. Oh the circumstances for a shared universe. Steve Jablonsky has even come out and said how hard it was to recompose music right up till release and things kept on being taken out.

A clearly brilliant Michael Bay movie has been cut to shit. That's my opinion and I think it is crystal clear here. The spark that was in the first four movies wasn't present here and I think it is laying on the cutting room floor there somewhere! What happened to the Optimus/Bumblebee fight! I felt nothing there because it suddenly started then suddenly ended.

I don't even feel the motivation to buy the Blu-ray, even after a whole month now to accept what has happened. However, if there is another cut, a longer cut made available, with everything restored, you bet I'll get it day one! Michael has seemed disappointed with the finished product ("it's the way the ball bounces" meaning it was out of his control) and I'm sure his intended cut is what wasn't released. If that rumour of a 3 hour cut was true, and that was his intended cut, please Michael, release it on the Blu-ray! Let this movie stand proudly alongside the others!

Positives though. I loved Hot Rod! I love how Merlin was a drunk. I loved the opening medieval battle, I wanna see more of that if we ever get a full medieval movie from Michael. I absolutely loved Anthony Hopkins, he was incredibly funny.

Default Re: I saw TLK and this needs a Director's Cut

Quote Originally Posted by Bot of Badassness View Post
    I'm still alive! I've been back home in New Zealand for a few weeks now after spending over two months travelling Europe (and going to Egypt!) and going around the UK, just when The Last Knight came out too! It was my first movie in IMAX, and I saw it in IMAX 3D of course. Got to see lots of the filming locations while I was there too.

The movie, though, oh boy. I was extremely disappointed and really didn't enjoy it. My main issues were that the first hour or so was incredibly rushed and choppy and that the action throughout the movie had no rhythm to it. You could almost feel that the movie had been entirely butchered. My least favourite part of the whole movie was Megatron's negotiation with the US military. The whole sequence felt rushed and had no atmosphere, plus the Decepticon names appearing onscreen was just plain weird.

What did I learn shortly afterwards? The movie was incredibly cut down, no doubt on studio orders. Whole sections were removed such as the stuff at Newcastle, whole character arcs were removed such as Cogman using his Headmaster ability, Bumblebee duking it out with Barricade in London, and Sqweek's big transformation moment that we were promised. I feel not only were these cut for time but the studio instead wanted to save these payoff moments for a future movie. Oh the circumstances for a shared universe. Steve Jablonsky has even come out and said how hard it was to recompose music right up till release and things kept on being taken out.

A clearly brilliant Michael Bay movie has been cut to shit. That's my opinion and I think it is crystal clear here. The spark that was in the first four movies wasn't present here and I think it is laying on the cutting room floor there somewhere! What happened to the Optimus/Bumblebee fight! I felt nothing there because it suddenly started then suddenly ended.

I don't even feel the motivation to buy the Blu-ray, even after a whole month now to accept what has happened. However, if there is another cut, a longer cut made available, with everything restored, you bet I'll get it day one! Michael has seemed disappointed with the finished product ("it's the way the ball bounces" meaning it was out of his control) and I'm sure his intended cut is what wasn't released. If that rumour of a 3 hour cut was true, and that was his intended cut, please Michael, release it on the Blu-ray! Let this movie stand proudly alongside the others!

Positives though. I loved Hot Rod! I love how Merlin was a drunk. I loved the opening medieval battle, I wanna see more of that if we ever get a full medieval movie from Michael. I absolutely loved Anthony Hopkins, he was incredibly funny.
    I'd take a directors cut. However it will all have to be rendered it's not like there's finished robot footage on the cutting room floor. All the interviews I've read make it sound like it was Bays decision to have it shorter than AOE. So I don't think it's going to happen, I think if it was going to happen they'd have done it for the earlier movies.

Don't get me wrong I'd love it if we got one though.

Quote Originally Posted by fu2kimus_prime View Post
    ... it's not like there's finished robot footage on the cutting room floor...
    its happened before. there was finished robot footage for AOE that was on the trailers but never seen on the movie or bonus content.

Quote Originally Posted by CesarCardoso View Post
    its happened before. there was finished robot footage for AOE that was on the trailers but never seen on the movie or bonus content.
    Yep but I've only ever seen a few seconds of robots that didn't make the final cut. I'm not doubting that there's a few snippets here and there, but enough for an extended cut I doubt it. Though like I said I'd love to be wrong about this and them actually do an extended cut for the blu ray.

Indeed a 180 minutes Director's Cut for Transformers The Last Knight is needed because clearly studios managers forced whole scenes to be cut. The director always takes the blame and is always obliged to tell that any cut is wanted and not forced.. that is the sad part of the business that ends up ruining products in the process then studios managers blame others and are never ashamed by their own wrong actions.
    Now if they want to earn a lot of money from this movie they better have the 180minutes true Director's Cut get released on Blu-Ray and Blu-Ray 4K at the best possible quality. Because that is what customers want to buy the product.
    The CGI for scenes that were cut is usually finished 90% if not 100% complete and fully polished... just taking a look at all the making of videos and deleted scenes on many movies thru the years is proof of that along with rumors from the business spread on the 'net on how things work. Which is anyway a real nonsense because the CGI costs money and has to be paid .. so why the heck studios managers just oblige directors to trash excellent and expensive scenes that have nothing wrong and should be included with no cuts ? They enjoy wasting money and losing money or what?
    Well.. WarnerBros allowed Zack Snyder to release Batman V Superman 180minutes Director's Cut on Blu-Ray so there is no reason why Paramount shouldn't do the same with Michael Bay Transformers movies and now with this Transformers 5 that was cut too much.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzero View Post
    Indeed a 180 minutes Director's Cut for Transformers The Last Knight is needed because clearly studios managers forced whole scenes to be cut. The director always takes the blame and is always obliged to tell that any cut is wanted and not forced.. that is the sad part of the business that ends up ruining products in the process then studios managers blame others and are never ashamed by their own wrong actions.
    Now if they want to earn a lot of money from this movie they better have the 180minutes true Director's Cut get released on Blu-Ray and Blu-Ray 4K at the best possible quality. Because that is what customers want to buy the product.
    The CGI for scenes that were cut is usually finished 90% if not 100% complete and fully polished... just taking a look at all the making of videos and deleted scenes on many movies thru the years is proof of that along with rumors from the business spread on the 'net on how things work. Which is anyway a real nonsense because the CGI costs money and has to be paid .. so why the heck studios managers just oblige directors to trash excellent and expensive scenes that have nothing wrong and should be included with no cuts ? They enjoy wasting money and losing money or what?
    Well.. WarnerBros allowed Zack Snyder to release Batman V Superman 180minutes Director's Cut on Blu-Ray so there is no reason why Paramount shouldn't do the same with Michael Bay Transformers movies and now with this Transformers 5 that was cut too much.
    There's a lot of scenes that I wanted from TF5 that never happened. It would be great if Paramount is considering an extended home release.

I just seen this last week. Usually there is something about a Transformers movie that I absolutely loved and made the movie awesome but I cant think of any part of this one that had anything good in it... Revenge of the Fallen had more reasons for a re-watch to enjoy. It really felt like they were re-writing the previous films and took away
    [possible subtle spoilers]

TF1 The arrival to earth scene because bee has been there for hundreds of years
    TF1 the Cube
    TF2 ascension of Sam to Transformer "Heaven", or whatever you might call that
    TF2 Matrix of Leadership
    TF3 destroying Cybertron from the warp field
    TF3 re-write to hating and then loving Autobots which happens again in TF4
    TF4 removing the Decepticon threat or lack there of in TF5
    TF4 they were terraforming earth from the intro but appearantly they were terraforming an enemy to have more resources
    TF5 bee had a ladies voice box, how did he get a different one

I dont really get how anything could fix this mess. Sorry about the rant. I was really hoping for a cool Unicron world at war thing that would have started 60 minutes into and lasted the rest of the movie like the rest of the movies usually focus on.

I loved the film and agreed, it needs to be as long or longer than AoE. The editing was crap at the start, all over the place, and not even a traditional transforming title, they already had one with the trailer!

It would help on bluray sales too and we can get the new rendered scenes, the third Hobbit film had entire CGI sequences added in the extended version, this can too.

To all of you who hopes to get a Director's Cut of The Last Knight on Blu-ray can stop hoping.
    The details have already been revealed of the Blu-ray release and it's coming to a store near you already on September 26th.

http://screenrant.com/transformers-5...-release-date/

Senior Member Bot of Badassness's Avatar

Unless they're doing a later release. Dark of the Moon did it with 3D and a truck load of special features, as did The Force Awakens. Or any of the Middle Earth movies where there was almost a whole year after the theatrical release for an extended edition, also with many special features.

This has only 80 minutes of extras, surely there is a hell of a lot more. These movies usually come with at least 2 hours worth of behind the scenes stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by frolunda71 View Post
    To all of you who hopes to get a Director's Cut of The Last Knight on Blu-ray can stop hoping.
    The details have already been revealed of the Blu-ray release and it's coming to a store near you already on September 26th.

http://screenrant.com/transformers-5...-release-date/
    The only transformers film neither myself or my best friend will buy. It was that much of a disappointment for us. Hopefully the Bumblebee Movie will be written Better.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
    -John Wayne (The Shootist)

Quote Originally Posted by MrX View Post
    The only transformers film neither myself or my best friend will buy. It was that much of a disappointment for us. Hopefully the Bumblebee Movie will be written Better.
    I'll buy the ordinary 2D version cause the 3D sucked in the movie and I'll wait till it's on sale for like 5 in an online movie store.
    What concerns the Bumblebee movie, right now I have a feeling that it'll be like the Herbie movies, with the difference that he just might transform into robot mode once or two times tops in the movie...