Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transformers: The Last Knight Discussion/Analysis/Thoughts *Warning-Spoilers*

Default Transformers: The Last Knight Discussion/Analysis/Thoughts *Warning-Spoilers*

I have not seen it yet but thought I would start a thread for people that have. I reserved my seats for tonight 22:30 Imax 3D. I am beyond excited, these are my favorite events of the year. Yes its not just a movie release but more like an event. It does not matter what movie I have seen of Mr. Bay's in theaters, they all make the audience go crazy. Never have I experienced reactions of this magnitude in any other movie release. He just knows what the audience likes and proceeds to turn it up even higher. There is nothing like a Bay experience. Not only are his movies a celebration of motion pictures, Cinematography and every single aspect of Film making. They are also a celebration of human kind and how amazing a species we are.

I will check in tomorrow to post, I have class that starts at 7am haha, but it is well worth staying up and watching what Bay & Co. have created.

Congratulations Mr. Bay!

Default Re: Transformers: The Last Knight Discussion/Analysis/Thoughts *Warning-Spoilers*

I got my seats reserved for Optimus Prime Time in IMAX 3D and I am counting down the hours. There's no better feeling than the hype on the day of!!!
    Ya just wanna die for the guy. Now that's leadership... Or brainwashing or something.

Default Re: Transformers: The Last Knight Discussion/Analysis/Thoughts *Warning-Spoilers*

Just got home from the theater and my main question is why no explanation of megatron.

Just watched... I'll rant more on this tomorrow but bottom line, this franchise needs a fresh start, and I never thought I'd say that being a Michael Bay fan.

It was a blast. Frankly I felt 1st act was awkwardly rambling. But when protagonists went to England then I got a non-stop fun ride. Anthony Hopkins & Laura Haddock delivered delightful characters. And New robot 'Cogman' was...just fucking gorgeous.

*Spoilers*-Bay, You Mad Genius

Wow, so I ended up getting home at 2am and could not fall asleep. My adrenaline was still going and I found myself trying to remember everything I had just seen. Like the last entries in the franchise there is simply to much to soak in and appreciate with the first viewing. I cannot wait to see this film again...multiple times!!

That being said, my overall impression of the film was Amazing. Like every other viewing I have had in the past with a Bay film, the crowd was going nuts. There were maybe 10 times where my friends and I instinctively turned towards each other in awe haha, exactly what I had hoped would happen. My second viewing I will be switching theaters because the 3D at the Imax I went to was sub-par (A lot of Ghosting and double image were present) but I know it was the theater and not the movie, it was still disappointing to say the least that this particular theater cannot get their image correct. The last 3 movies I have seen there were exactly the same. I will have to wait for the true Imax 3D when I buy it on Bluray 3D. Like Age of Extiction, it will be my best looking 3D movie by far.

I loved all the Decepticons and Autobots, thought they were full of character. When Bumblebee rips himself apart and reconnects, the crowd lost it. I thought they had shown the whole scene in the trailers. Luckily I was wrong and there was quite a lot more shots included. I loved Nitro Zues, but was dissapointed they they cut out the part where he flies away like in the trailers. Cogman was a joy, what a neat character. The story was very coherent and easy to follow. I have read people talking about the fact that the movie was hard to follow.....okay....if you say so lol.

Overall it was exactly what I had expected and then some. The cinematography was insane as usual, the sound was incredible too. Loved the production design, that satellite in the ocean was super cool. I also loved all the human characters, Vivian was a very nice addition. I thought Izzy was great as well. All in all the cast was perfect and really nailed their characters.
    I was very happy to see so many throwbacks to Revenge of the Fallen and the other films, I did not expect so much. That picture of Shia was hilarious!
    When I heard Bumblebee speak I lost my mind haha.

I could keep going on but you get the idea. As a hardcore Bay fan, I am very sorry to see him go. I dont think anyone else can come close to delivering an experience like these films. They are one of a kind and cannot be duplicated. Movies have tried but fallen short by a long stretch.

In closing, thank you Mr. Bay for giving me the best cinematic experiences ever. It has been an absolute blast, I very much look forward to seeing what you have in store for us in the future. As a Top-tier director you can only keep innovating and setting the standard for what an audience expects at the movies, only to have other directors and films try to emulate it, which is to be expected and welcomed.

Thank you,
    Dan

Okay I guess i'll be the guy..

I've been a TF fan for 30 years.. I still remember driving my wife crazy in 2006/2007 leading up to the first film; she hated me because all talked about and read about was that movie every day for a year.. i was borderline obsessed. When i saw Prime transform for the first time, my sinuses started acting up.. It was a really well done movie.. Part 1 and Dark of the Moon remain the only 2 that i can sit and watch all the way through with minimal complaints.

With that being said, I felt burnt out after The Last Knight was over, and i'm ready to see what another director can do with this... It really hurts me to say that, since I'm both a huge Bay fan and a huge Transformers fan. We were told before both the 4th and 5th movies that these were fresh starts to the franchise, and that turned out to be not true in both cases.

I'll start with what i liked, but the bad outweighed the good for me:

IMAX 3D is really the way to see this. The effects were incredible as usual, and some of the action scenes were great (Bumblebee being blown apart was my favorite scene), and the action was expertly shot. Anthony Hopkins was great, and most of the comedy worked (the scene where Cogman was playing the organ while Hopkins was talking was probably the funniest one).

The story seemed interesting at first, but I got the same feeling here after watching as i did with the Revenge of the Fallen story.. It felt convoluted and i was left with a lot of questions. RotF had the writers strike to blame for alot of it's problems, but The Last Knight had no such excuse... Prime got to Cybertron and was asking what happened to his planet, like he didn't see it get destroyed completely at the end of Dark of the Moon. Cybertron went from being blown up into a billion pieces, to only being kind of blown apart, but still planet shaped.. How did Megatron come back as Megatron when he was clearly Galvatron in the last movie? Why were there baby dinobots? Did Quintessa actually brainwash Prime or did he just decide to want to save his planet all of a sudden at the expense of his friends?

There were characters in this that literally didn't need to be there. It was great seeing Simmons again, but I was left wondering what his point was. That scientist guy was a weird addition too. The black guy was the most pointless of all. And as with the other movies, the Decepticons (except for the leader) were reduced to secondary characters who were destroyed in no time at all (seriously, the ones Megatron demanded be released lasted literally about 5 minutes).

Another thing that bothered me going back to the 4th movie was Sam not being mentioned by any of the Autobots, especially Bumblebee. I know Shia isn't doing any more TF movies, but the fact that he was completely forgot about after being such an integral part of the Autobots story for 3 movies is ridiculous. (and no, a 2 second photo shot doesn't count). You'd figure that even Lennox or Simmons would've asked about him at some point.

I could probably go on, but you get my point.

Also, I've seen all 5 TF movies on day one (or day zero), and this was the first one that didn't get an applause from the theater at the end. It would not surprise me if this one is the lowest grossing film in the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    Okay I guess i'll be the guy..
    With that being said, I felt burnt out after The Last Knight was over, and i'm ready to see what another director can do with this... It really hurts me to say that, since I'm both a huge Bay fan and a huge Transformers fan. We were told before both the 4th and 5th movies that these were fresh starts to the franchise, and that turned out to be not true in both cases.
    I'm gonna side with you here, dude. I've spent all day collecting my thoughts:

For the first time in ten years I walked out of a TF movie disappointed. Disappointed that it wasn't better, that it didn't live up to my hype; to my fond memories of ROTF and DOTM. Last night I saw the movie twice. Once in IMAX 3D, the second in RealD and in DBox. But at the end of the long night, it was like waking up knowing that Santa isn't real.

It sucks too. I want to like this, love it even. For all my years of film school I defended Michael as a genius auteur who's in a league of his own, and as one of our greatest living filmmakers. I still hold to this sentiment, but The Last Knight leaves me baffled. The sheer amount of brainless stupidity thrown around here is inconceivable. Almost every moment left me questioning it: "What is Michael doing?" I thought. All the other films, no matter how dumb some moments got, always had an element of fun to them. A steady stream of fun. running throughout, pumping the movies with a child like sense of wonder. But The Last Knight felt cynical to me. And I think its my fault...

I have to wonder... have all my years of screenwriting classes turned me into a film snob? One who gaffs at directors like Michael? I wouldn't describe myself as one by any means, and that's why I'm more mad at myself than I am at the film. Why can't I enjoy this. It's an awful feeling to want to love something so dearly, only to be constantly questioning yourself.

I love Michael and his films. He's a goddamn genius. But something here was off. It wasn't clicking. There were pieces but not a whole. It felt like the movie magic of the others (the first film especially) had been blown away. I might be over dramatic here, but these films have been a huge part of my life. Maybe I'm in a weird state of mind right now.

Anyways,

Things I liked:
    the IMAX 3D
    Cogman
    Hopkins
    Frank Welker and this version of Megatron
    the action sequence in London (going to the library, Bee/Barricade chase)
    Bee finally getting to speak again
    Day Trader
    Ya just wanna die for the guy. Now that's leadership... Or brainwashing or something.

As a huge Bay and Transformers fan, it breaks my heart to say this: Worst. Transformers. Ever.

I have never left a transformers movie disappointed until now.

Agreed with reasons above.

Also, how can bumblebee suddenly dismantle and join himself? It looked cool but how did he get this power suddenly? Why doesn't any of the other transformers have this?

Watched it last night

Barricade, the baby Dinobots, Cogman, Viviane Wembly, Hot Rod, Nemesis Prime, the concept of Unicron

My personal questions and analysis. Will add to the list as I remember more...

1. The organic hand shown in TF4 believed to be the “creator’s hand” looks nothing like Quintessa’s hand.
    But Quintessa could turn into an organic looking being like she did at the end of TF5 when she transformed into a human. So, the organic looking alien hand in TF4 – was it Quintessa’s? Did she take on a different organic form then? If not, was it the real creator? Or maybe Quintessa’s the creator and the organic alien hand in TF4 was something else?

2. Megatron’s new form can easily be explained by the fact he’s got that red paint on his face. We know a Transformer gets that from Quintessa’s “touch.” So at the end of TF4 he probably followed Prime to Cybertron. And the reason he didn’t freeze in space like Prime did, was because he’s got that “lego transformation” thing. So he got to Cybertron first and got back while Prime froze in space.

Just got back. So many things I liked, and an equal amount I didn't.

I really, REALLY..... REALLY wanted to see Unicron. Every time I saw a horn I got excited. In trailers I saw ships flying into an opening that looked so much like the mouth of Unicron in planet form. Turns out that was just a vent/shaft of the under water ship that the submarines used to enter it.

I'd hoped that the planetoid flying to Earth in the trailers was NOT Unicron. It was Cybertron which is cool, continuity issues notwithstanding.

I was hoping Unicron would be extra-terrestrial rather than based within/on Earth. But at least he is 'planet-sized'. But it raises a whole host of questions. Must have been one heck of a deep sleep if he never awoke in the 3rd movie when Cybertron was being teleported to Earth by Sentinel Prime, why didn't he wake? Was it just me or did it end up feeling like Unicron was a target and almost victim in this movie? He's meant to be this ominous, malevolent being, not the inner structure of humanity's home that's kept us safe and alive for millennia.

There's this weird inconsistency in the look and feel of the transformers. The little blue guy that is Izabella's friend looks far more G1 and less 'intricate' than say, Wheelie or any of the other bots. The knights looked, well, like statues, while the protoforms looked substantially different to the Autobots, which is fine I guess. But even guys like Megatron barely resembled their alternate vehicle that they transformed into. You know, the whole part that makes them 'transformers' really wasn't done well IMHO. We didn't even get a nice Optimus transformation which was almost a central part of every episode of the cartoon. Cogman looked Steampunk.

I loved the moments on the big ship, and with Cybertron falling all over Earth. Looked incredible. I'm just curious as to what was happening with the laws of physics with this? What with that scientist carrying on about physics, he forgot to mention that our planet would likely suffer huge gravitational warping, tidal waves etc. At least Independence Day 2 attempted to simulate this when the big ship arrived.

I really couldn't care for the bots in most of this film. Prime was AWOL for most of it anyway.

Ugh. I dunno. It was a fun ride with great cinematography, effects and sound. But I'm just wish there was more reason to love the individual robots and the humans. I just felt no care for anyone in the movie, except maybe planet Earth, Prime, Unicron and Bumblebee.

Best part of the movie was when Bee finally spoke in his own voice to compel Nemesis Prime to go OP.

It was a great movie, and fun. But I'd really love to see a reboot in a fresh style. Neil Blomkamp?

It was AWESOME!
    Cogman is very cool. Crazy but cool.
    The Last Knight is my 2nd favorite Transformers movie.
    Dark of the Moon is still #1.

COLLIDER - spoilers

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

My entire theater was having a blast with the movie. People were really enjoying it and it was a great communal experience. It's one of the most entertaining movies I've seen this year. And after all these years, my conclusion is simple - people who are not dedicated, hardcore fans of the robots, those who simply go for the entertainment, tend to be the ones who trully enjoy these movies and make them so popular. Most of the people (audience members, not critics with agendas) who hated this new movie are huge fans of the robots and they care mainly about the robots. Well, I don't watch the live-action "Transformers" for that. I watch these movies, first and foremost, because I'm a fan of Bay's work. He's the main reason for my interest in these movies. Without him, I don't think I would bother with them. Of course, I like the actors and the crew behind the camera. The robots, yes I like them as well, but I don't really care who has more screentime, who transforms into what, and how many transformations are in the movie. I'm watching this franchise strictly as an epic action/adventure, made by a filmmaker I respect and admire. That's it.

And as a piece of action/adventure entertainment, "The Last Knight" did its job. I really enjoyed the movie and especially Anthony Hopkins's character. I didn't expect to see him in action, but there he was - he fought and died like a hero. The core story was pretty easy to digest and I liked the fact that they brought back Simmons and the Witwicky name. There are a lot of other stuff to talk about, but I'll leave it for another day...
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Just remembered another thing that was funny to me.. When Bee spoke, Prime said "I haven't heard your voice since Cybertron fell"... But he spoke at the end of the first movie lolol

Watched this last night in 4 DX. It was an amazing experience!

Ive been a Transformers fan for over 30 years now, and as a hardcore fan I have a few questions, and can analyse things over, and over again. I always however try to watch as just an average movie goer, and this to me was Bay at his best! I love the pacing of this movie, in the past few TF movies we've had an action packed opening and endings but things slow down at the mid point. This started fast and never let up, even moments of exposition were kept brief, and felt action packed thanks to Hopkins obviously having too much fun as the eccentric Burton, and Cogmans antics kept things entertaining too.

As a hardcore Transformers fan I thought this delivered too! Every character got a moment to shine! I got legitimate chills when Bumblebee spoke to Prime to make him see sense. Other favourite bits were Megatron negotiating, and the roll call of his crew was amazing, as was Lennox interaction with him.

I thought all the new robots added a lot, especially Sqweeks, and the baby Dinobots, and Izzys interaction with them added moments of heart when needed.

Overall I thought this was the 2nd best of the movies, with DOTM coming in a close third. If this truly is Bays last then he's gone out with a huge bang, and I thank him for his hard work on my favourite franchise, and can't wait to see what he does next.

I'm going to see it again in a few days in proper IMAX 3D the way it was meant to be seen. I only expect my opinion of it to get better.

I do however think it is time for a change. International box office will be huge, but franchise fatigue has affected American audiences. And I think Paramount needs to have a long think about where we go in the future. Obviously they need to find a director that can wrap up the Unicron story arc, and finish The Quintessa story.

From there I think it's time for a reboot, instead of the planned countless spin offs.And by reboot I don't mean what most of my fellow fans mean by being more G1. Ten years ago Transformers was going through a similar situation there was nothing bad with it. They just stayed the same for a bit too long, and losing a bit of mindshare. Then along came Bay, and tore up the rule book, he shook up the universe, and the way they were designed, had his own vision for the universe he wanted to create. And he didn't let himself get influenced by fans of any era.

And if this is Bays last outing I think that's what we need again. Someone to come in and ruffle feathers, and dare I say piss people off with the direction they take. Because that's when Transformers is at its most exciting, and at its best.

Just back from the movie tonight and I have to say I absolutely loved it from start to finish! I really hope Michael that you stay with the Transformers franchise. Without your direction these movies would not be the same. Thoroughly enjoyable and hugely entertaining, the magic is back again! Thankyou Michael , this is a must see movie and I can't wait to see it again this weekend!

... Continued from my last post …

3. Thermal captions (?) from the Military showing Megatron around the sites of the Unicron horns, and his desire to acquire Merlin’s staff further solidifies my earlier analysis that Megatron did indeed travel to Cybertron and back. He knew about Unicron and the Staff from Quintessa.

4. So Barricade was allowed by the government to just roam FREELY as a Police Cruiser?? They could have freed a non-Police Decepticon instead and let that one lead them to Megatron in the beginning (?)

To be continued…

5. Assuming my above analysis are correct… why didn’t Megatron come back to earth with new minions? Quintessa should be able to provide him with a new team. Instead he had to ask the humans to free some Decepticons?? What was the government doing with the captured Decepticons anyway?

6. When the Decepticons were being introduced one by one did anyone else notice that it had a TMNT feel to it?

Won't be able to see this movie until July 15th or so. I'm not reading any posts here because I don't want my judgment clouded. I do however want to know one thing and one thing only:

Did they get rid of that stupid lego block transformation?
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
    -John Wayne (The Shootist)

Quote Originally Posted by MrX View Post
    Won't be able to see this movie until July 15th or so. I'm not reading any posts here because I don't want my judgment clouded. I do however want to know one thing and one thing only:

Did they get rid of that stupid lego block transformation?
    Yep, only traditional Transformations in this movie!

I saw the movie last night and found it pretty good. This could be my second favourite Transformers movie after Dark of the Moon.

It seems like this was the best of the five movies we've had so far in terms of pacing. I didn't feel like there were points where the movie dragged or the plot was slowing down, or if there were any, they were brief. This could be due to the new writing team; then again, the fact that this movie had so much robot screen time, spread throughout the movie, helped. On that topic, for all the 'no plot' complaints that the Transformers movies get, they actually have quite involved plots, and this one is no different. It felt like a lot of effort went into worldbuilding and lore with this one, introducing new ideas and concepts as well as building on the knighthood theme Ehren Kruger introduced in Age of Extinction, all of which made for interesting viewing between the action so I was never bored (also a possible contribution to the perception of a good pace). In fact, I feel like I need to watch it again to take it all in.

I haven't even seen that many movies with Anthony Hopkins in them, but I have this mental image of him as a classy, reserved elder statesman sort, so it was unusual seeing him as the quirky Edmund Burton, who doesn't hesitate to speak his mind or do what he thinks is necessary. Now I'm imagining he took the role to have a bit of fun.

It was good to see Josh Duhamel and John Turturro back, as well as the Wheelie cameo and hearing Topspin speak, but I was somewhat bummed that Tyrese Gibson didn't appear, since there was talk of him returning.

I must admit to being somewhat surprised at the sheer number of different 'bots in this movie, even though several of them were background characters. After Age of Extinction, I was expecting a smaller robot cast (not that I'm complaining!).

With the new overarching direction from the writers' room, I'm definitely curious to see where this leads with Transformers 6, with Quintessa at large in addition to Megatron and a dormant(?) Unicron in our midst.

In the meantime, thank you, Mr. Bay, for taking us on another fantastic ride!

Saw it last night. It's the worst of them all. A story that is just a mess, comic parts that don't work at all with a C-3PO/Jar Jar Binks Star Wars transformer combo, characters that are literary cannon fodder and exit the movie as fast as they were introduced, 3D that wasn't even near as good as I thought it would be after all this "It's shot in Real 3D with 3D IMAX cameras" talk and cause of that, the picture changed size in several scenes from full screen to a letterbox with black stripes over and under the picture and then back to full screen when it's seen on an ordinary movie theater screen and it's poorly edited in several scenes as can be seen in the trailers and clips that were released before. The best part is a car chase in London and that of course when it comes to movies nowadays, it's visually very good. This is the first Transformers movie that I won't see at the movies more than one time. Time for someone else to take over, but then again it's not 100% Bays fault that the movie looks like it does. The screenwriters, editors and producers are to blame too, and as long as they stay the same, I'm not sure how much different the next movie will be with a new director considering that how The Last Knight is ended with a massive cliffhanger ending and the next one is forced to more or less literary start where this one ended.
    Can't give it more than 2/5 points. Had high hopes for it after seeing the trailers, but those hopes were shot down pretty fast when the movie started...

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Magnus View Post

It was good to see Josh Duhamel and John Turturro back, as well as the Wheelie cameo and hearing Topspin speak, but I was somewhat bummed that Tyrese Gibson didn't appear, since there was talk of him returning.
    Yeah, I think it was because of the last Fast and Furious but he couldn't appear due to schedule conflicts, but he was supposed to be in it.

I wasn't expecting to see the movie until this upcoming weekend, but I was able to see it on Saturday. I bought my ticket very late Friday night for a 9:30 am showing. I didn't expect to see the theater filled, but it was! The group that was in there with me laughed at the funny parts, and cheered at the end. It felt good.

I think that the fact that this the 5th movie in 10 years has caused some audience fatigue with the series. I think that is why the box office return domestically wasn't as high as previous films. I think some are tired of the series and wish it would go away. They may be tired of the intense action sequences, the comedy (I for one am NOT), and just the way that the movies flow. I go into these movies with one thing in mind - I am not looking for an academy award winning movie (although one can make the case for the visuals and the sound editing/mixing). I am looking to be entertained.

If this is in fact Mr. Bay's last time directing, he did a great job. The visuals were top notch. The story was much better than the AoE. We got actual character development out of some of the bots. We were treated to another Jablonsky's scores (this was as good as the first one).

I think now that they have done 5 movies, Paramount needs to relax on the pacing a bit going forward. They have to do a hard reboot of the franchise and it should start with TF6. I know they are looking at doing it in 2019, but I think it needs to be put off. Allow the Bee movie to do its thing next summer, and give the franchise a break. I know that it is Paramount's cash cow, but it needs to be reset and the stories from the writers room should be planned accordingly.

Just my two cents. Very well done - it was a hell of a run with 5 movies. I can't wait to see it again - this time in IMAX 3D. Then once it gets released on blue ray I will be purchasing it and taking a few days off from work to watch all 5 as a marathon
    "Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing." Optimus Prime