Thread: Transformers: The Last Knight Discussion/Analysis/Thoughts *Warning-Spoilers*

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Transformers: The Last Knight Discussion/Analysis/Thoughts *Warning-Spoilers*

I have not seen it yet but thought I would start a thread for people that have. I reserved my seats for tonight 22:30 Imax 3D. I am beyond excited, these are my favorite events of the year. Yes its not just a movie release but more like an event. It does not matter what movie I have seen of Mr. Bay's in theaters, they all make the audience go crazy. Never have I experienced reactions of this magnitude in any other movie release. He just knows what the audience likes and proceeds to turn it up even higher. There is nothing like a Bay experience. Not only are his movies a celebration of motion pictures, Cinematography and every single aspect of Film making. They are also a celebration of human kind and how amazing a species we are.

I will check in tomorrow to post, I have class that starts at 7am haha, but it is well worth staying up and watching what Bay & Co. have created.

Congratulations Mr. Bay!

Default Re: Transformers: The Last Knight Discussion/Analysis/Thoughts *Warning-Spoilers*

I got my seats reserved for Optimus Prime Time in IMAX 3D and I am counting down the hours. There's no better feeling than the hype on the day of!!!
    Ya just wanna die for the guy. Now that's leadership... Or brainwashing or something.

Default Re: Transformers: The Last Knight Discussion/Analysis/Thoughts *Warning-Spoilers*

Just got home from the theater and my main question is why no explanation of megatron.

Just watched... I'll rant more on this tomorrow but bottom line, this franchise needs a fresh start, and I never thought I'd say that being a Michael Bay fan.

It was a blast. Frankly I felt 1st act was awkwardly rambling. But when protagonists went to England then I got a non-stop fun ride. Anthony Hopkins & Laura Haddock delivered delightful characters. And New robot 'Cogman' was...just fucking gorgeous.

*Spoilers*-Bay, You Mad Genius

Wow, so I ended up getting home at 2am and could not fall asleep. My adrenaline was still going and I found myself trying to remember everything I had just seen. Like the last entries in the franchise there is simply to much to soak in and appreciate with the first viewing. I cannot wait to see this film again...multiple times!!

That being said, my overall impression of the film was Amazing. Like every other viewing I have had in the past with a Bay film, the crowd was going nuts. There were maybe 10 times where my friends and I instinctively turned towards each other in awe haha, exactly what I had hoped would happen. My second viewing I will be switching theaters because the 3D at the Imax I went to was sub-par (A lot of Ghosting and double image were present) but I know it was the theater and not the movie, it was still disappointing to say the least that this particular theater cannot get their image correct. The last 3 movies I have seen there were exactly the same. I will have to wait for the true Imax 3D when I buy it on Bluray 3D. Like Age of Extiction, it will be my best looking 3D movie by far.

I loved all the Decepticons and Autobots, thought they were full of character. When Bumblebee rips himself apart and reconnects, the crowd lost it. I thought they had shown the whole scene in the trailers. Luckily I was wrong and there was quite a lot more shots included. I loved Nitro Zues, but was dissapointed they they cut out the part where he flies away like in the trailers. Cogman was a joy, what a neat character. The story was very coherent and easy to follow. I have read people talking about the fact that the movie was hard to follow.....okay....if you say so lol.

Overall it was exactly what I had expected and then some. The cinematography was insane as usual, the sound was incredible too. Loved the production design, that satellite in the ocean was super cool. I also loved all the human characters, Vivian was a very nice addition. I thought Izzy was great as well. All in all the cast was perfect and really nailed their characters.
    I was very happy to see so many throwbacks to Revenge of the Fallen and the other films, I did not expect so much. That picture of Shia was hilarious!
    When I heard Bumblebee speak I lost my mind haha.

I could keep going on but you get the idea. As a hardcore Bay fan, I am very sorry to see him go. I dont think anyone else can come close to delivering an experience like these films. They are one of a kind and cannot be duplicated. Movies have tried but fallen short by a long stretch.

In closing, thank you Mr. Bay for giving me the best cinematic experiences ever. It has been an absolute blast, I very much look forward to seeing what you have in store for us in the future. As a Top-tier director you can only keep innovating and setting the standard for what an audience expects at the movies, only to have other directors and films try to emulate it, which is to be expected and welcomed.

Thank you,
    Dan

Okay I guess i'll be the guy..

I've been a TF fan for 30 years.. I still remember driving my wife crazy in 2006/2007 leading up to the first film; she hated me because all talked about and read about was that movie every day for a year.. i was borderline obsessed. When i saw Prime transform for the first time, my sinuses started acting up.. It was a really well done movie.. Part 1 and Dark of the Moon remain the only 2 that i can sit and watch all the way through with minimal complaints.

With that being said, I felt burnt out after The Last Knight was over, and i'm ready to see what another director can do with this... It really hurts me to say that, since I'm both a huge Bay fan and a huge Transformers fan. We were told before both the 4th and 5th movies that these were fresh starts to the franchise, and that turned out to be not true in both cases.

I'll start with what i liked, but the bad outweighed the good for me:

IMAX 3D is really the way to see this. The effects were incredible as usual, and some of the action scenes were great (Bumblebee being blown apart was my favorite scene), and the action was expertly shot. Anthony Hopkins was great, and most of the comedy worked (the scene where Cogman was playing the organ while Hopkins was talking was probably the funniest one).

The story seemed interesting at first, but I got the same feeling here after watching as i did with the Revenge of the Fallen story.. It felt convoluted and i was left with a lot of questions. RotF had the writers strike to blame for alot of it's problems, but The Last Knight had no such excuse... Prime got to Cybertron and was asking what happened to his planet, like he didn't see it get destroyed completely at the end of Dark of the Moon. Cybertron went from being blown up into a billion pieces, to only being kind of blown apart, but still planet shaped.. How did Megatron come back as Megatron when he was clearly Galvatron in the last movie? Why were there baby dinobots? Did Quintessa actually brainwash Prime or did he just decide to want to save his planet all of a sudden at the expense of his friends?

There were characters in this that literally didn't need to be there. It was great seeing Simmons again, but I was left wondering what his point was. That scientist guy was a weird addition too. The black guy was the most pointless of all. And as with the other movies, the Decepticons (except for the leader) were reduced to secondary characters who were destroyed in no time at all (seriously, the ones Megatron demanded be released lasted literally about 5 minutes).

Another thing that bothered me going back to the 4th movie was Sam not being mentioned by any of the Autobots, especially Bumblebee. I know Shia isn't doing any more TF movies, but the fact that he was completely forgot about after being such an integral part of the Autobots story for 3 movies is ridiculous. (and no, a 2 second photo shot doesn't count). You'd figure that even Lennox or Simmons would've asked about him at some point.

I could probably go on, but you get my point.

Also, I've seen all 5 TF movies on day one (or day zero), and this was the first one that didn't get an applause from the theater at the end. It would not surprise me if this one is the lowest grossing film in the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by timtationx View Post
    just watched... I'll rant more on this tomorrow but bottom line, this franchise needs a fresh start, and i never thought i'd say that being a michael bay fan.

this!!!!
    Optimus: One shall stand- one shall fall. Megatron: You still fight for the weak- that's why you lose!

What can I say? I liked it. A lot.

All things being equal, I preferred TF4 by a tiny bit due to a stronger emotional component surrounding the Autobots (come on, who didn't tear up a bit in TF4 when Optimus came riding in on the Dinobot or renewed his visage after scanning the new truck) but certainly this is nowhere near as bad as TF2 or Bad Boys 2, both of which had me checking my watch every few minutes.

As opposed to the critics, what held me was its IMHO strong story line. I loved the tie of the autobots to history and the Merlin story line.

I also can't be the only one that noticed in several shots Laura Haddon looked exactly like Megan Fox.

Note that I never watched the cartoons nor know anything about Transformers other that was has been presented in Michael's films; as with the Marvel movies I wonder if knowing too much about the characters clouds fans' opinions of what is actually presented on-screen.

For example, I know nothing about Megatron other than that he's the bad guy/leader of the Decepticons.

Missed opportunity - they should have shown the transformation of the car from the Citroen into the Lamborghini the way they did other remodels in the past rather than just cut.

Also, IMAX 3D was the perfect format for this film and its scope.

Quote Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
    Note that I never watched the cartoons nor know anything about Transformers other that was has been presented in Michael's films; as with the Marvel movies I wonder if knowing too much about the characters clouds fans' opinions of what is actually presented on-screen.
    You hit the nail on the head with this. Fans of transformers want the movies to be like what they remembered from the cartoons, but that is not what these films have been intended to be. I think that the 5 films what they were intended to do - bring in new fans. I admit I was a child of the 80s and love the cartoons. Granted I stopped watching them when I "too cool" to watch cartoons, and these movies brought me back to transformers. I watched the entire series of Transformers Prime, bought the blue rays, and I own multiple copies of the first 4 movies in the franchise. I have several of the toys, and I will buy more of them when I see them in stores. My brother complained about the first movie, and I doubt he has watched any of the movies since. He told me that the first movie ruined his childhood. I told him he was foolish because if he just learned to accept the changes that were made with the movies, he would actually have a pretty entertaining series to watch. He told me he wouldn't. His loss.
    "Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing." Optimus Prime