Thread: I visited The Rock today

Cool I visited The Rock today

I've spent most of my life in Bermuda, but this week I got a chance to visit my relatives in California. I had to take advantage of the opportunity to see the main setting of Michael's 1996 classic up close.

It was fun to spot the different locations used in the film. Among them was the recreational yard where Ed Harris and Sean Connery had their showdown. It's very strange to view environments that have been so glamorized in movies in the mundane light of day!

However, I should mention Park Ranger Bob is long gone. There's now a portable audio production you listen to as you walk through the penitentiary, and it's a LOT more informative than Bob ever could be. (Then again, being more informative than Bob isn't much of a challenge.)

I also met William Baker, aka "#1259," one of the last surviving former inmates of Alcatraz. He was gracious enough to sign a copy of his book for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Alcatraz-1259...ywords=%231259

And before you ask, yes...they were selling copies of THE ROCK in the gift shop, along with ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ. All in all, a great trip.

Default Re: I visited The Rock today

Quote Originally Posted by MitP View Post
    I've spent most of my life in Bermuda, but this week I got a chance to visit my relatives in California. I had to take advantage of the opportunity to see the main setting of Michael's 1996 classic up close.

It was fun to spot the different locations used in the film. Among them was the recreational yard where Ed Harris and Sean Connery had their showdown. It's very strange to view environments that have been so glamorized in movies in the mundane light of day!

However, I should mention Park Ranger Bob is long gone. There's now a portable audio production you listen to as you walk through the penitentiary, and it's a LOT more informative than Bob ever could be. (Then again, being more informative than Bob isn't much of a challenge.)

I also met William Baker, aka "#1259," one of the last surviving former inmates of Alcatraz. He was gracious enough to sign a copy of his book for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Alcatraz-1259...ywords=%231259

And before you ask, yes...they were selling copies of THE ROCK in the gift shop, along with ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ. All in all, a great trip.
    Cool. I wanna visit that place someday.

Default Re: I visited The Rock today

Awesome, I'm going next week!!! Part of my honeymoon!

Driving to LA afterwards... Mr Bay, fancy a drink?
    I've always defended Michael Bay against attacks that his films are full of stupid explosions, girls in underwear and mindless characters... but then he made Transformers 2 and I conceded...