Thread: The meaning of the name

Default The meaning of the name

The Last Knight

What do you think it means and alludes to?

Some may think it alludes to Optimus Prime. I do not.

Remember that Michael Bay had mentioned during promotion of Age of Extinction that certain things and events in AOE would not be answered until later films. In fact some of the stuff may have seemed irrelevant or unimportant. And even if it was, it would wait until later movies to be answered. So if you want answers you will need to start there first.

However I believe that is now coming into play.

Prime is a Knight

They had the Knights Temenos ship in AOE that Lockdown used and was constructed in the ancient times of Cybertron as an exploration ship for the Great Knights.

Who are the Great Knights?

I found this plot point touching on that in AOE in an article. Here it is:

4: The Knights of Cybertron:
    "One of the most confusing portions of the film had to do with the notion of ‘the Knights of Cybertron’. The film very only briefly touched upon this idea. So briefly in fact that I feel like I’d need to see it three more times to get it right – but I don’t have 9 hours to devote to that endeavor. What the film told us is that Optimus Prime is one of these Knights; and the Dinobots MIGHT be as well. Though before we start talking about why these character may or may not be Knights of Cybertron, let me explain what this actually means.
    The Knights of Cybertron is an idea from the comics and it refers to the first Transformers ever made. This also refers to the a few artifacts from that time of first creation such as Optimus’s Matrix of Leadership. So calling Optimus one of these Knights makes him one of the first transformers – whether directly or indirectly by inheriting the Matrix. This is why when Lockdown is talking about how ‘the creators’ want Optimus back, he isn’t talking about transformers in general but Optimus specifically.

As for the Dinobots, I honestly can’t recall if they are directly referred to as Knights of Cybertron; however, they are indirectly hinted at being closely tied to them. If Lockdown was indeed collecting the Knights of Cybertron to bring to their creators, then the Dinobots presence on that ship means they might share that title as well. The contrary point to this is that strange spider-like alien we saw spit on Hound. Why was that thing there? Was it another non-transformer creation that the ‘creators’ wanted back?

In any case, even if the Dinobots weren’t the first Transformers (of Cybertron), they were certainly one of the early creations of the Quintessons. I’ll go into more detail about this later; but if the Quintessons were cyberforming Earth 65 million years ago, their first transformers would have been created soon after – rather than 5,000 years ago as Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen had made it seem with the seven ‘Primes’. It makes sense that they would create robots in the form of the beings they had just made go extinct. Perhaps the Dinobots are the first of a different breed/evolutionary chain of Transformers. The Primes could form the Cybertron vehicle-esque branch of Transformers; and the Dinobots could form the more biomechanical Transformers we find in the Wolves, Scorpinoc, Ravage, etc. Either way, the Knights of Cybertron will play a major role in the following two films – as well as the Dinobots hopefully since they are so closely tied to the ‘creators’."

https://theinsightfulpanda.com/2014/...omment-page-1/

<<< This article brought up valid points. It also was dead on about how the Knights would play large roles in the upcoming movies. So, who is the Last Knight? Or what is it alluding to?

People need to remember that the movie titles are not ever singular and always allude to another meaning.

Revenge of the Fallen: Many thought it was the revenge of the Decepticons from defeat at the end of the first movie. And it was. But it also was about revenge of the Fallen character.

Dark of the Moon: Points to the dark side of the moon where the ARK and Decepticons were housed. But also the arrival of Cybertron as our moon.

Age of Extinction: Arrival of the Dinobots but also the destruction of the surviving Autobots by Lockdown, putting them to near extinction on Earth. But also Megatron/Galvatrons arrival that risked humanities extinction with the Seed.

My hunch is that as usual the name is two-fold. It likely deals more with Prime and his attack on the Creators. But also on the arrival of the Last Knight.

And who or what could that be? I'm going with this for now:

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Last_Autobot

This would be the Autobot version of ROF essentially. I also believe this will be the bring the arrival of Unicron by the awakening of the Last Autobot (Knight) to help take on the Creators and defeat them. In turn the Creators will unleash Unicron as their last resort, which we won't officially see until the 3rd movie. Like the article above mentioned, why else did they need planets of Transformium unless they were going to use it on something bigger, planet sized, too?

Default Re: The meaning of the name

The Last Knight

I'm going to assume this means the arrival of Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime is possibly incoming.

Because if you go by the Transformers: The Movie cartoon from the 80's, Hot Rod becomes Rodimus Prime.

Which means going by the Bay version of Transformers, Hot Rod would be the Last Knight.

Of course it's an assumption. But the fact is, we have to remember the Bay version of Transformers is a modified version of the cartoon. So what we see in the cartoon may not end up the same in the live action movies. It likely will be altered a bit.

My assumption is that we are looking at the arrival of Hot Rod.

It's obvious Prime is not Prime for part of this go around. A new Autobot leader will need to emerge. And like in the cartoon Bumblebee will not be it. He's a warrior, loyal friend, but is not a leader.

So...Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime are likely incoming. That's my take on the name. The arrival of the Last Knight to help lead the Autobots on Earth while Prime is away.

And especially since Galvatron and the arrival of the second gen Transformers have now arrived in the Bay versions of the cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by whitetigergrowl View Post
    The Last Knight

I'm going to assume this means the arrival of Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime is possibly incoming.

Because if you go by the Transformers: The Movie cartoon from the 80's, Hot Rod becomes Rodimus Prime.

Which means going by the Bay version of Transformers, Hot Rod would be the Last Knight.

Of course it's an assumption. But the fact is, we have to remember the Bay version of Transformers is a modified version of the cartoon. So what we see in the cartoon may not end up the same in the live action movies. It likely will be altered a bit.

My assumption is that we are looking at the arrival of Hot Rod.

It's obvious Prime is not Prime for part of this go around. A new Autobot leader will need to emerge. And like in the cartoon Bumblebee will not be it. He's a warrior, loyal friend, but is not a leader.

So...Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime are likely incoming. That's my take on the name. The arrival of the Last Knight to help lead the Autobots on Earth while Prime is away.

And especially since Galvatron and the arrival of the second gen Transformers have now arrived in the Bay versions of the cartoon.
    however in the current Transformers cartoon Bumblebee is the leader so it's a possibility he's taking the Robots in Disgue route for inspiration

Do you think the Knight of Cybertron and the Primes are the same?

or

Is the Transformer canon being ignored. No primes, none of that history?

Default Re: The meaning of the name: The Last Knight

Quote Originally Posted by whitetigergrowl View Post

4: The Knights of Cybertron:
    I hope the Knights of Cybertron have a bigger role in the movie.The concept art from Josh Nizzi is very cool.

Age of Extinction Concept Art
    Knight 02
    f2e4d5c00ea750e3044b79b40a5e230f.jpg

Knight 4
    473b286cb0a3031d5a57d5d80bccef77.jpg

Black Knight

How about Grimlock?

The title "The Last Knight" has nothing to do with Optimus, its in relation to the impending threat .

Quote Originally Posted by shadowinvid View Post
    The title "The Last Knight" has nothing to do with Optimus, its in relation to the impending threat .
    I agree.
    Revenge of the Fallen: The Fallen
    Dark of the Moon: Sentinel Prime
    Age of Extinction: Lockdown
    The Last Knight: ???

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I agree.
    Revenge of the Fallen: The Fallen
    Dark of the Moon: Sentinel Prime
    Age of Extinction: Lockdown
    The Last Knight: ???
    There is nothing in the title of DOTM and AOE that indicates WHO or WHAT the threat really is. It was a double innuendo in most all title cases.

ROTF: Its the revenge of the Decepticons after their defeat in the first movie as well as the revenge of the Fallen character.

Dark of the Moon name had little to do with the bad guy and didn't hint at that bad guy being Sentinel in the title. The dark side of the moon, confirming that mankind is not alone in the universe.

AOE was a double meaning. The Dinobots arrival and the potential extinction of the human race by Galvatron and Lockdown.

The titles have almost always had double meanings. This is no different.

Default Re: The Knights of Cybertron

Cool Re: The meaning of the name

I would love a poster of Grimlock in his knight form! Nelson, will we see such a thing next month?