Thread: Kate Beckinsale now whining abut Michael Bay

Default Kate Beckinsale now whining abut Michael Bay

Kate Beckinsale Says She Was Body Shamed by Pearl Harbor Director Michael Bay

Kate Beckinsale revealed that she was criticized about her appearance by director Michael Bay when they worked together on the 2001 film Pearl Harbor.

"I don't think I fitted the type of actress Michael Bay the director had met before," the actress, 42, said as a guest on Friday's episode of The Graham Norton Show, according to Digital Spy. "I think he was baffled by me because my boobs weren't bigger than my head, and I wasn't blonde."

Beckinsale says she was told she needed to get in shape to play her role – even though she didn't see why what her body looked like was relevant to her character.

"I'd just had my daughter and had lost weight, but was told that if I got the part, I'd have to work out," she said. "And I just didn't understand why a 1940s nurse would do that."

http://www.people.com/article/kate-b...me-michael-bay
    Why not wait fifteen years to complain?

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Default Re: Kate Beckinsale now whining about Michael Bay

I saw that too. Now, it's not a secret that Michael Bay could be a challenging director to work with, but I don't think he wanted to hurt Beckinsale with the stuff he said. It's also not the first time he's been "misunderstood" publicly, as far as media coverage on him is concerned. Not to mention that in this case Beckinsale got the part. If Bay really felt that way from the moment he met her then why bother with her? Why bother with an actress that he didn't like from the start? Studio pressure? I don't know. Whatever the case though, if the media keeps on pushing it would be best for him to address the situation.

By the way, I remember seeing a video of a private party in LA (five years ago or something) and both Bay and Beckinsale were there chatting and laughing. So, that's that.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Default Re: Kate Beckinsale now whining abut Michael Bay

It's just tactless, offensive remarks. Appearance is sensitive issue to anyone, especially actress. I know Bay's very blunt and demanding filmmaker, but that's impolite.
    But I don't understand why she's beating a dead horse. And frankly I don't give a damn about conflict or fuss behind the scene. I just want great cinematic experience and Bay & Beckinsale delivered that.

*cough cough*

Q: What made you choose Kate Beckinsale?
    A: I didn’t want someone who was too beautiful. Women feel disturbed when they see someone’s too pretty. I’m not saying Kate’s not pretty. When you look at Titanic, Kate Winslet is pretty, but not overwhelmingly beautiful. That makes it work better for women. Our Kate is very funny, could hang with the guys. She’s not so neurotic about everything, like some actresses. she was solid, and I think the three of them had some really nice chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by greensmoke View Post
    It's just tactless, offensive remarks. Appearance is sensitive issue to anyone, especially actress. I know Bay's very blunt and demanding filmmaker, but that's impolite.
    But I don't understand why she's beating a dead horse. And frankly I don't give a damn about conflict or fuss behind the scene. I just want great cinematic experience and Bay & Beckinsale delivered that.
    What did he say that's tactless?

Michael's official response on the home page is brilliant and says all it needs to.

If, for example, you are going to star in an action film, it's your personality that defines how you take being told to get a trainer: helpful advice or a crack at your weight.

Note even the press doesn't state Michael had issues with Kate's breast size or her weight; those were said by Kate, not MB and not quotes.

Knowing MB the way we do, I'm sure all the running scenes Kate needed to do were not shot in one take.

Quote Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
    What did he say that's tactless?

Michael's official response on the home page is brilliant and says all it needs to.

If, for example, you are going to star in an action film, it's your personality that defines how you take being told to get a trainer: helpful advice or a crack at your weight.

Note even the press doesn't state Michael had issues with Kate's breast size or her weight; those were said by Kate, not MB and not quotes.

Knowing MB the way we do, I'm sure all the running scenes Kate needed to do were not shot in one take.

Well I don't have a problem with "work out to be action star" thing. I don't think that's absurd demand. But I think that remarks are problematic.
    She said, "‘Kate wasn’t so attractive that she would alienate the female audience.’ He kept saying it everywhere we went.” Well that's not a high praise at all.

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by greensmoke View Post
    She said, "‘Kate wasn’t so attractive that she would alienate the female audience.’ He kept saying it everywhere we went.”

I think I understand what Bay meant by that. I may be wrong, but the way I see it he wanted to say that she is not attractive in a bimbo/Pam Anderson/Playboy bunny-type of way. And guess what? She's not.

She's certainly pretty, no doubt about that, but in the more traditional sense of the word. She's classic beauty. She's not a sex bomb beauty. If she was, I think Bay was right in pointing out that she would probably alienate some female viewers, at least as far as "Pearl Harbor" is concerned. I mean, you can't have a nurse that looks like Pam Anderson. Those nurses can be found in *other* movies.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."