Thread: Rogue One

Default Re: Rogue One

Aaah! You beat me to it!!
    Looking very good!! Rogue One - A Star Wars Story or aka Star Wars: Episode 3 ½!!

io9:
    There's Good News and Bad News for the Star Wars Spinoffs
    Quote Originally Posted by James Whitbrook
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

And now the bad: Page Six is reporting that Disney executives are panicking about the film, which is apparently not testing well in the cut director Gareth Edwards has provided, and are prepping expensive and intensive reshoots to take place throughout July.

A source from Disney also told Page Six that reshoots were expected, citing a desire to ensure the film has the same quality as The Force Awakens. Whether it’s the good spin or the bad, take all this with a pinch of salt for now.

Bleedingc Cool:
    The Reason I’ve Been Given Why The Star Wars: Rogue One Comic Was Cancelled
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston
    Money had certainly been spent on it. It would have been a big seller for the publisher. So why exactly was it that the Star Wars: Rogue One mini-series and one-shot comics from Marvel were cancelled months after being announced?

I’m told it’s all down to rewrites. Re-writes, reshoots, changes to the movie and no time of budget for a comic book creative team to keep reworking and reworking pages

The strength of Star Wars, as I have said many times before, are the "lightsaber duels" and the "Jedi - Sith conflicts." People are drawn and attracted to those mystical aspects of the movie.

Remove those, and you're left with a space shoot-em-up movie. And that's "Star Trek" territory. And nobody does that better than Star Trek!

The reason for the reshoots is to make the movie funnier and lighten the mood cause it was seen as too dark and war movie like. They have to match the tone of Episode IV.
    It's not a prequel that takes place years before Episode IV: A New Hope. It takes place just weeks before and it will literally end just 10! minutes before the start of Episode IV!
    Here's the story from The Hollywood Reporter.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ar-wars-898562

Jezus!! 40%??!!!! That sounds like a hell of a lot! No doubt there will be a bunch of scenes that will require different amounts of CGI effects to make them complete, and with 40% being re-shot that isn't good news for all the effects teams that are involved of making the movie. All previous completed scenes will end up in the trashcan and they will be forced to start from scratch to complete all the new re-shot scenes.
    No doubt that all the personal that are involved of making this movie will have to clock in some serious overtime hours during the last part of the summer and during the fall so that the movie will be finished in time for the premiere in December...

‘Rogue One’ Reshoots: Disney Attempts to Reassure Fans; Brings on Tony Gilroy to Handle Script
    Gilroy previously did uncredited re-write work on director Gareth Edwards’ ‘Godzilla’.
    Quote Originally Posted by MATT GOLDBERG
    Additionally, while McQuarrie isn’t involved with these reshoots, there is another collaborator coming on board. Michael Clayton writer-director Tony Gilroy “was brought aboard the project in the spring to offer notes on the first cut and write some additional material to enhance the story.” Now he’ll be writing new dialogue and also serving as second unit director. Gilroy previously did some uncredited re-write work on director Gareth Edwards’ Godzilla.

For those concerned about the tone, EW says that this will indeed be a war film. “The movie is very different than [The Force Awakens], and that’s intentional,” one source says.

'Star Wars: Rogue One' Enlists Renowned Stunt Coordinator for Reshoots (Exclusive)
    Simon Crane joins screenwriter Tony Gilroy in helping work on the first standalone 'Star Wars' movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ritman, Borys Kit
    Veteran stunt coordinator and second unit director Simon Crane has been tapped to assist with the lengthy reshoots for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Rogue One, being directed by Gareth Edwards, will undergo significant additional filming this summer, it was revealed earlier this week. Disney and Lucasfilm are hoping to accomplish several goals with the reshoots, including working on the tone of what has been described by sources as a “war movie.” The lightening of the feel of the film is meant to broaden its appeal.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens grossed more than $2 billion worldwide, and while Disney isn’t expecting similar returns for this movie, the bar has been set high for subsequent franchise installments. In other words, a paltry $400 million isn’t going to cut it for a Star Wars movie, so Disney wants as broadly-appealing a film as possible.

The involvement of Crane, who has crafted the action sequences of movies such as World War Z, and the Tom Cruise sci-fi action movie Edge of Tomorrow, also indicates that Rogue One’s action is being worked on as well.

In addition, THR has confirmed that Tony Gilroy, a screenwriter whose credits range from asteroid blockbuster Armageddon to three Jason Bourne movies and the Oscar-nominated Michael Clayton, is working on the new pages for the script. Gilroy, like Crane, has a relationship with producer Frank Marshall, husband of Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy.

Sources say Gilroy, who also directed a trio of movies including Bourne Legacy, also will be involved in helming the reshoots, which will take place at Pinewood Studios outside London. The length of the reshoots has not been revealed; some sources have pegged the shoot as lasting up to six weeks.

Crane began his career in stunt work on movies such as Aliens, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Batman, Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Total Recall and Saving Private Ryan. More recently, he worked on Mr. & Mrs. Smith, World War Z and Edge of Tomorrow. He eventually began doing what most masterful stunt coordinators do, taking over action sequences himself as a second unit director. He did so on 2001’s Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, while more recent work included World War Z, Maleficent, and this summer’s Jason Bourne.

Rogue One’s release date remains December 16.

So there's this rumor floating online that the main character in Rogue One is Rey's mother.

If true this changes the whole thing. Rogue One becomes so much more interesting!

Star Wars: Rogue One - A Star Wars Story official trailer. I don't think I'm the only one who say that December 16th can't come fast enough!

Here it is boys and girls!! The final trailer for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story!!
    It's gonna be epic!! Goosebumps on your arms man!! Goosebumps!!
    The trailer says December 16th, but we get it already on December 14th!!!!!

The tickets has now been released! Got tickets to the premiere on December 14th and to December 17th as well when I'm gonna go and see it for the second time with a bunch of friends! The countdown is on!!

Rogue One composer Michael Giacchino describes music of the Star Wars standalone
    'Bravado is a dangerous thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ANTHONY BREZNICAN
    What inspirations will we hear in the music?
    It does borrow from traditions that both John [Williams] and George Lucas borrowed from when they made the original Star Wars, you know. George was looking at Flash Gordon, the old serials, and John was looking at [Gustav] Holst and different composers along the way to get a baseline for what he wanted to communicate. There is a wonderful musical language that John put together for the original films. I wanted to honor that vernacular but still do something new with it, something that was still me in a way.

Did you incorporate many elements of John Williams’ score?
    I think absolutely there are a couple of times when you want to hit upon something that was from the past. For me, even as a fan, it was about going, “Oh, this particular idea would be great if we did it here. I would want to see that if I were watching a Star Wars movie.” As a kid who grew up with John’s music and who was catapulted in this direction because of what he did, I had a very specific idea of what I wanted to use and how I wanted to use it. That being said, I’d say the score is 95 percent original but with little moments [of Williams’ classic score] here or there to accent. If I were sitting in that seat and I heard that, it would totally raise the hairs on my neck.

Can you describe the opening title theme? Do you use elements of his work there?
    It’s done slightly differently here because it’s not one of the saga films, it’s not one of the trilogies. It’s sort of its own thing and the whole idea from the very beginning was these should be standalone movies. So it’s going to be a slightly different way to get things kicked off.

Los Angeles Times:
    'Making "Star Wars" is a team sport': 'Rogue One' director Gareth Edwards on reshoots, inspiration and trepidation
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Rottenberg
    Unshaven and slightly rumpled, with a laid-back demeanor and dry sense of humor, Gareth Edwards doesn’t instantly strike you as the type of person who would command an army, cinematic or otherwise. But if “Star Wars” has taught us anything, it’s that warriors come from unexpected places.

Growing up in England, the 41-year-old Edwards was inspired to become a filmmaker by his deep passion for George Lucas’ beloved space opera. Now, as the director of “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” — the first in a series of planned standalone spin-off films set in the galaxy far, far away, distinct from the ongoing episodic saga — he finds himself a key player in the creative expansion of the franchise.

Set shortly before the events of 1977’s “A New Hope,” “Rogue One,” which hits theaters Dec. 16, chronicles the mission of a ragtag group of rebels to steal the plans to the Empire’s planet-destroying Death Star. Featuring a diverse ensemble cast including Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Forest Whitaker and Donnie Yen, the film is the closest thing to a full-on war movie ever seen in the “Star Wars” series, blending the familiar spectacle of interstellar dogfights, droids and laser battles with a gritty cinema verite style, a visceral kind of violence and a degree of moral murkiness new to the franchise.

Getting the film to the finish line was something of a battle in itself. Over the summer, reports emerged that “Rogue One” was undergoing extensive reshoots, with screenwriter Tony Gilroy — who shares final screenwriting credit on the film with Chris Weitz — reportedly being brought in to help iron out issues with the story, including the film’s ending. While reshoots are standard practice on big-budget films, “Star Wars” fans, ever sensitive to the slightest tremors in the Force, aired their worries en masse online.

Collider:
    Gareth Edwards on George Lucas’ Reaction to ‘Rogue One’: “I Can Die Happy Now”

‘Star Wars’: Kathleen Kennedy Teases Future Appearances From Forest Whitaker’s Saw Gerrera

The Lucasfilm president reveals they originally intended to dig deeper into the character's story in 'Rogue One'.

Star Wars Bits: Mark Hamill Defends Jake Lloyd, New Interviews, and a Possible ‘Rogue One’ Blu-ray Release Date
    The official release date for the Rogue One Blu-ray and DVD has yet to be revealed, but a March 28, 2017 arrival is starting to look likely.