Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit

Default The Hobbit

I haven't seen this posted here yet, if it has, delete it please.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...fae087024a2b8e

I for one, couldn't be happier, since PJ was out of the question for the director's chair, I had been worried about who they would pick to direct, well not anymore, I have been a del Toro fan for a while and I think he's perfect for this project. I think the article linked really nailed it on del Toro's description:

Few filmmakers have the cachet that del Toro has, as well as a deep love for the source material, an assured grasp of fantasy filmmaking and an understanding and command of geek culture as well as its respect. Del Toro has built that goodwill through such films as the Oscar-nominated "Pan's Labyrinth," "Hellboy," "Blade 2" (which was made by New Line) and "The Devil's Backbone."
    If you've seen any of the behind the scenes footage of any del Toro movie you'll know what kind of approach and dedication to expect for The Hobbit.

Default Re: Guillermo Del Toro to direct The Hobbit!

Interesting.

I've heard (rather read) the rumors about this.

I, for one, have not seen a del Toro movie....but I suppose I should before I make any judgments.
    I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.

I like Del Toro....but he is over rated. Thats not saying he is a bad director. And as far as I know...he's just in talks to direct at the moment

If you seen Blade 2 then you seen his work.

Quote Originally Posted by Devastator View Post
    If you seen Blade 2 then you seen his work.
    Ummm........I can't remember if I've seen Blade 2. I thought Blade was pretty well done....and I might have seen Blade 2, but I can't remember.

I'm a dog chasing cars. I don't know what I'd do if I caught one. I don't have plans. I just do things. I'm not a schemer.

I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments.

I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.

He is a great visualist, always has been. Blade 2 was his most commercial film though.

From Variety:
    Del Toro quits 'Hobbit' - Helmer bows out of Tolkien project, citing delays
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave McNary
    Guillermo Del Toro has dropped out directing "The Hobbit" movies due to the ongoing delays in getting the films greenlit.

Del Toro made the surprise announcement Sunday on The One Ring web site, adding that he will continue to co-write the screenplays based on J.R.R Tolkien's "The Hobbit."

"In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming 'The Hobbit,' I am faced with the hardest decision of my life", Del Toro said in a statement. "After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien's Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures."

New Line shares financing rights with MGM/UA, which bought the original rights in 1969. Reps for New Line and MGM were not immediately available.

Del Toro has been writing the scripts with Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Phillipa Boyens and director Guillermo del Toro but the back-to-back-films had not been officially greenlit by New Line and MGM -- which would trigger calculation of the budget and setting a start for lensing in New Zealand. But MGM's ownership has remained unresolved in the wake of the struggling studio putting itself up for sale in November.

"The Hobbit" films are being exec produced by Jackson and Walsh with MGM and New Line co-financing. The two pics are based on JRR Tolkien's novel, which follows the adventures of Bilbo Baggins, who obtains the ring that was the centerpiece for "The Lord of the Rings."

In his posting, Del Toro said he remained grateful to Jackson, Boyens and Walsh along with New Line and Warner Brothers and to all his crew in New Zealand.

"I've been privileged to work in one of the greatest countries on earth with some of the best people ever in our craft and my life will be forever changed," he added. "The blessings have been plenty, but the mounting pressures of conflicting schedules have overwhelmed the time slot originally allocated for the project. Both as a co-writer and as a director, I wlsh the production nothing but the very best of luck and I will be first in line to see the finished product. I remain an ally to it and its makers, present and future, and fully support a smooth transition to a new director."

Del Toro had said two days earlier at a news conference for "Splice" that "The Hobbit" pics remained in limbo until the MGM financial crisis was resolved.

"It's not greenlit," he told reporters. "That's categorical. We've been caught in a very tangled negotiation. There cannot be any start dates until the MGM situation gets resolved. They do hold a considerable portion of the rights."

He also said that all the creatures had been designed, adding, "We've designed the sets and the wardrobe. We have done animatics and planned battles sequences.... We are very, very prepared for when it is finally triggered."

Del Toro's directing credits include "Pan's Labyrinth," "The Devil's Backbone and the two "Hellboy" pics. He committed to direct "The Hobbit" films in April, 2008, with the pics expected at that point to come out at the end of 2011 and 2012.

It's unclear which directing project del Toro will tackle next. In September 2008, he made a long-term commitment to Universal, where he has a first-look deal, with a quartet of directing projects including an adaptation of the Dan Simmons novel "Drood" and remakes of "Frankenstein," "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" and "Slaughterhouse-Five."
    From Heat Vision:
    Guillermo del Toro leaves 'The Hobbit'

From Deadline:
    Del Toro Leaves 'The Hobbit' As Helmer; Peter Jackson Won't Retake Directing Reins
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE FLEMING
    The development is good news for Universal, whose executives were initially fuming after they made a deal to establish del Toro as a major supplier of tent poles, only to watch him commit five years to The Hobbit. Del Toro can return to such projects as Frankenstein, HP Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness, Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five and the Dan Simmons novel Drood. In addition, del Toro is working on the second and third installments of The Strain, a terrific series of vampire novels he's writing with Chuck Hogan, which absolutely begs for a movie transfer.

Right now the Spyglass guys have made a deal to be for MGM and now the studio is saved as The Hobbit can go on as Peter Jackson is now director of this project for production in 2012.

Default The Hobbit!

'Hobbit' pics to begin shooting March 21 - Peter Jackson's hospitalization led to delay
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave McNary
    Peter Jackson will begin shooting "The Hobbit" films on March 21, the New Zealand-based production company has announced.

Jackson had been hospitalized Jan. 26 with a perforated ulcer, leading to what was then termed a "slight delay" in the start of production. Production had originally been scheduled to start in February.

Production company 3Foot7 Ltd. made the start date announcement Monday in New Zealand.

"This date has been chosen following practical considerations of the filming schedule requirements, actor availability and the NZ seasons," it said. "Shooting will take place at Stone Street Studios in Miramar and on location around New Zealand."

"Hobbit" cast includes Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins and Andy Serkis, Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen and Cate Blanchett reprising their roles from "Lord of The Rings" trilogy. Other cast include Richard Armitage, Ken Stott, Graham McTavish, William Kircher, James Nesbitt, Stephen Hunter, Rob Kazinsky, Aidan Turner, Peter Hambleton, John Callen, Jed Brophy, Mark Hadlow, Adam Brown, Mikael Persbrant and Sylvester McCoy.

Wood's character in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy inherited the titular ring from Bilbo Baggins and undertook the quest to destroy it in the fires of Mount Doom. The "Hobbit" story in J.R.R. Tolkien's epic fantasy novel centers on the adventures of Bilbo Baggins, who obtains the ring.

Jackson said in the announcement, "Despite some delays we are fully back on track and very excited to get started."

Jackson, Fran Walsh and Carolynne Cunningham are producing the films with co-writer Philippa Boyens serving as co-producer and Ken Kamins and Zane Weiner as exec producers.

Warner Bros. and MGM announced last month that Warners will handle worldwide distribution on "The Hobbit," taking over the international distribution and home video on the films from MGM in exchange for funding MGM's half of the production costs. The "Hobbit" films will be released in December 2012 and December 2013.

I'm glad Jackson is doing ok but once he gets out of the hospital he will direct one of my most anticipated movies in history.

Such a nostalgia... How I miss these sets and cast. I'm sure it will be perfect as the trilogy.

I think he's the perfect person to direct such a visually rich film. Anyone who's seen Pan's Labyrinth would know what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by jamjam101 View Post
    I think he's the perfect person to direct such a visually rich film. Anyone who's seen Pan's Labyrinth would know what I'm talking about.
    You're talking about Del Toro,right? That is old news...he is out of the picture. The last few posts talk about him leaving and Peter Jackson directing this now.

Yeah the title of the thread is misleading. If someone of the mederators is reading this please change the thread title only to "The Hobbit".

Thanks

Default Re: The Hobbit

Now we have official confirmation of the titles and release dates for the two movies.

"The first film, titled The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, will be released on December 14, 2012. The second film, titled The Hobbit: There and Back Again, is slated for release the following year, on December 13, 2013."

Also Orlando Bloom is confirmed to return as Legolas although his character is not from the book.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=78224

I grew up with both the book and the 1977 movie, maybe this will be far more accurate and true to Tolkein's novel as with today's technology it's possible to make the first book Tolkein wrote years ago. They need someone quality to be Smaug's voice like Patrick Stewart for example, he would fit the vocal role of the dragon very well.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...oins-as-203308

Evangeline Lilly will be playing a new character—the Woodland Elf, Tauriel.

the hobbit is now on the front of this months Uk Empire magazine, should be a good read

Thorin

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    Now we have official confirmation of the titles and release dates for the two movies.

"The first film, titled The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, will be released on December 14, 2012. The second film, titled The Hobbit: There and Back Again, is slated for release the following year, on December 13, 2013."

Also Orlando Bloom is confirmed to return as Legolas although his character is not from the book.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=78224
    Yeah, I seen that, but then again, the Lithorian Elven guard didn't come to help with the Battle of Helms Deep either, but that turned out really well. Sometimes "adaptations" do work.