Thread: Things You Noticed in 13 Hours (SPOILERS)

Default Things You Noticed in 13 Hours (SPOILERS)

I just got back from seeing the film and wow. Even as a consistent fan of his work, this is the best film Bay has made in quite some time, possibly ever. Great job, Michael.

That being said, I couldn't help but notice some things. Not to say these are nitpicks or marks against the film, just some things I noticed that I thought other Bay fans might pick up on. Please do not read further if you haven't seen the film.

First, there were quite a few Transformers "easter eggs." Some things I caught:

- In the opening minutes, a shot of one of the F16's taking off of the aircraft carrier, and another of a helicopter over Shanghai have been reused from Revenge of the Fallen.
    - Similarly, there were a few shots of what looked like the NEST base set later in the film. I'm not certain, but believe I may have seen an E7 on the wall.
    - The shot of the drone focusing towards the camera from TF1, TF2, and TF4 (I can't remember if it is in 3) is reused again here.
    - Tanto's dog is one of Bay's english mastiffs.
    - The group 17Feb is a reference to Bay's February 17th birthday.
    - Bay introduces a new version of the bomb drop from Pearl Harbor.
    - I noticed a few sound effects from the Transformers films. One of them being a Sentinel Prime motor sound effect used during the arrival of the convoy at the end of the film.

I'm curious to know what all you caught. I'm looking forward to seeing the film again in the near future. Once again, fantastic job, Michael.

Default Re: Things You Noticed in 13 Hours (SPOILERS)

Also, I just remembered a local wearing a Yankees hat. Reminded me much of the Egyptian guard in TF2. Bay touches on NY's symbolic nature as a global icon again here.

Senior Member Bot of Badassness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Nickelson View Post
    The group 17Feb is a reference to Bay's February 17th birthday.
    Won't be seeing it till March, I'm excited to find the Bay-isms though. I'm hoping for a rotating camera shot similar to the one in a Bad Boys 2 shootout and the murders in Pain & Gain.

17Feb is the name of a group in the book, when reading it I made that birthday connection too. Are the soldiers seen watching Wrath of the Titans in the movie? I was wondering if something like Transformers would be used instead.

Must be that good

Really incredible film. I think certainly Bay's best, and an amazing tribute to the people involved, especially the contractors. Great directing, acting, music, and script. It also gave me a better understanding of what happened there (for better or worse), and that's important.

Thanks to all involved in the film.

Ed Fuego
    "can you ban people who put other members quotes in their sig? if that is not a tell all sign that a person is going to be annoying i don't know what is."
    - thegreat

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Pretty much the same reactions around me. People seem to really like that movie. Hopefully the positive word of mouth will help the box office in the weeks to come.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post

Pretty much the same reactions around me. People seem to really like that movie. Hopefully the positive word of mouth will help the box office in the weeks to come.
    I think the difficulty is that most people (correctly) assumed that it was a serious war movie and not an action thriller. Pain and Gain was able to open number one because the ads convinced enough people that it was a Mark Wahlberg action-comedy, instead of a darkly funny drama. As a drama, the viewers tend to be more grown-ups, and there the challenge was that two R-rated films The Revenant and The Big Short are going strong in theaters.

Quality movie, i really enjoyed it very much.

13 Hours just opened in Ireland tonight and I have to say it is an excellent, outstanding movie Michael. I have the highest respect for the US Forces and the sacrifices they make to protect freedom and peace. This is a must see movie.