Thread: Do you think the film will be controversial issue?

Default Do you think the film will be controversial issue?

I'm not American so I don't exactly know impact or historical significance of the subject "Benghazi attack." But with 2016 US presidential election ahead, it looks like the movie can be political issue which provokes some fierce controversies. Even some people try to derogate it as untimely, prejudiced propaganda. Personally I believe some controversy is ultimately beneficial to art because it can arouse people's interest and draw some audiences. But in my humble opinion, people are hastily overreacting and the movie will be pretty apolitical. Filmmakers don't care whether you're liberal or conservative. They just wanna draw maximal audiences into cinema. And I think Bay's not an angry ultraconservative and even if he is, I guess he doesn't wanna make public his political orientation. He just wanna show gripping portrayal about agonizing chaos and pay honor to brave men. I wanna see Internet calms the fuck down just once.

Senior Member Bot of Badassness's Avatar

Default Re: Do you think the film will be controversial issue?

It'll be controversial just on the fact of what in the film actually happened or not. Already in the teaser we can see the film is contradicting what was being reported and stated at the time in 2012, but it's accurate to what is written in the 13 Hours novel from the soldiers' perspectives. Highlight if you wish because of light spoilers:It was stated that none of the soldiers were told to stand down during the attack, however these six soldiers have stated that they were told to stand down multiple times when they wanted to go out and help. They tell of this in the book and is hinted at in the teaser "You are not the first response, you're the last resort. You will wait."

Who knows what other sources of controversy the film will cause, but the various accounts will be one for sure. Here's an interesting account of the events from their perspective. Spoilers for the film, of course.

Yes, it will be unavoidably controversial due to the subject matter. Starting with the fact that real people died, that there will be sensitivities about how Libya and Libyans are portrayed, that Bay will be unfairly criticized as a giant robot director unworthy of directing a serious film. And that's without even getting into the politics and arguing over factual accuracy. It will be released during an election year, but hopefully by releasing it way early in the year they'll avoid the thick of it. I also hope Bay and Paramount have learned the lesson of what happened to Zero Dark Thirty: they need to be ready for the controversies and have good rapid responses.

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by greensmoke View Post
    Do you think the film will be controversial issue?

At the end of the day it will probably be as controversial as "Black Hawk Down" and "Green Zone". In other words, it ain't gonna matter out on the street. Let alone affect the entire election season as some people say.

But...the media is certainly having a field day with it. Look at these comments:

"It could be a movie that helps decide the next occupant of the White House."

"The movie trailer that has Dems on edge."

- http://www.bizpacreview.com/2015/07/...enghazi-231105

Boy, they love to blow things out of proportion.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    At the end of the day it will probably be as controversial as "Black Hawk Down" and "Green Zone". In other words, it ain't gonna matter out on the street. Let alone affect the entire election season as some people say.

But...the media is certainly having a field day with it. Look at these comments:

"It could be a movie that helps decide the next occupant of the White House."

"The movie trailer that has Dems on edge."

- http://www.bizpacreview.com/2015/07/...enghazi-231105

Boy, they love to blow things out of proportion.
    Typical. It's easier for the media to discuss politics and world events through pop culture, because pop culture is always easier to talk about than the real world.

I've already had what we call in Dutch a 'zeikerd' on my FB page complaining it's propaganda.. bit what does he know.. he's converted to a religion. And you just can not copy something 100%
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...
    I'm a decepticon and my name is _____ All Hail Megatron!

Quote Originally Posted by dnn View Post
    Typical. It's easier for the media to discuss politics and world events through pop culture, because pop culture is always easier to talk about than the real world.

True, true.

However, this is also good news for the movie. These discussions wouldn't hurt it and I have a feeling that all of the political talk will actually help attract more (new) viewers - mainly Republicans, but I suspect a lot of Democrats as well. Sure, many of them will probably look for "controversial" scenes and moments, but still...a ticket is a ticket.

With that in mind I'll say this: "13 Hours" could very well be the first surprise hit of 2016. Don't underestimate the power of all these political journalists, pundits and their followers.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

There is always two sides to a story.
    Especially when we're talking about a movie with political subject. It will of course draw controversy or criticisms. And we will never know for sure what the truth is as far as what really happened.

One thing to always remember when reading history books or watching history movies is that the victor gets to write them. Whoever wins in a particular war gets to write that part of history.
    After WWII for example, it was the Allies and the Soviets who wrote the history books; not the Germans nor the Italians. Of course I'm not planting any seed of doubt on what the Allies and the Soviets wrote in the books about what happened. And I condemn the Nazi acts of terror in the highest possible way. But I'm just saying that whoever wins a war earns the right to write about it in the history books. And that is the version we get.

The thing is to just enjoy movies as movies -- as they're meant to be enjoyed. And I'm looking forward to this for sure.

How Michael Bay’s Benghazi Movie Could Threaten Hillary Clinton’s Campaign

Director’s action movie “13 Hours” will dredge up former Secretary of State’s biggest controversies days before she faces voters at Iowa caucuses

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Donnelly
    Michael Bay‘s talent for explosions may extend to the political sphere, as the director’s upcoming action movie about the 2012 deadly terrorist attack on the U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi will hit theaters just before Hillary Clinton faces Democratic primary voters for the first time.“13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi,” starring John Krasinski, will be released by Paramount on January 15. That’s roughly two weeks before the Iowa caucuses, the first round of voting in the presidential election in which Clinton’s handling of Benghazi as Secretary of State has become a major issue.

The studio insisted that it chose the movie’s release date without regard to the election or to Clinton’s campaign — though any mainstream movie dredging up one of her biggest controversies is bound to be unwelcome to the Democratic frontrunner.

MLK weekend has been a historically great date as evidence by the success of ‘American Sniper’ and ‘Lone Survivor,'” a Paramount spokesperson told TheWrap on Wednesday, citing two recent January releases depicting heroic but tragic U.S. military operations.
    “We believe mid-January will offer the best window after the film is completed to promote and release the film,” the spokesperson added.

On Wednesday, the New York Times reported that studio executives considered moving the movie’s release date until after the Iowa caucuses, but then determined that would just place the movie in the midst of the primary season.

It’s not known if Clinton is depicted in any way in the finished version of “13 Hours,” which depicts the efforts of CIA security contractors to defend the compound when it came under attack by militants. In addition to Krasinski, the cast includes James Badge Dale and Pablo Schreiber.

House Republicans investigated Clinton’s handling of the incident, which led to discovery of the private email account she used to conduct government business.

"Why Did the CIA Meet With Michael Bay?"

-
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...chael-bay.html

controversial or not the movie was well made, nicely executed.