Thread: Seeing in in a few hours ...

Default Seeing in in a few hours ...

3D, premiere seating, a Raphael pizza ... the whole works.

Will let you know how I got on.
    Life is about finding balance .... especially on a drunken Friday night!

Default Mission : Ninja Turtles

On Saturday at exactly midday, me and Codename Cumber embarked on our mission to see Ninja Turtles at a preview screening at Vue Cinemas. We had covertly booked our seats online to slip past the queues as all true ninja should.

Arriving at Pizza Hut I was hard to miss - sporting a bright TMNT hoodie although Cumber was dressed less conspicuously, opting for a grey ensemble with a brown leather jacket. We moved silently and stealthily into the restaurant, Pizza Hut of course, and I bit back the squeal of delight when I saw the menu - a Ninja Turtles fest with pizza's dedicated to each turtle. Squealing loudly isn't very ninja-esque thing to do, so I followed the waitress to our table. Pick any table, we were told. So we picked the back corner booth where we could tuck into our food in secrecy.

This was where the first problem reared its ugly head. There were FOUR delicious pizzas' on the menu. How on earth could we pick two of them? After intense deliberation and furtive glances to ensure we were not being snuck upon by some unsavoury villains we decided to opt for Mikey and Leo's pizza. I was expecting the menu to be the same as the one in the US, but to my delight, it seemed better. Especially Mikey's pizza. A hotdog pizza is just inspired.

Forgive the photo of me sporting elf ears below. I'm not sure what happened there, but my true identity was almost nearly revealed.

After consuming an unholy amount of food, we shuffled off (albeit slowly and lazily) to the cinema. We took our seats, and, to our delight ... the cinema was fuller than normal. There was a lot of kids about and some rather fraught parents so we blended in without interruption.

The movie started and we sat together in complete silence as the first half of the film commenced. I could see why other people had been complaining; April O'Neil was the emphasis of the movie, especially early on. The story was also full of plot holes and either a lot had been edited out for the final cut, or there were some serious problems with the tale itself.

However, I barely registered all these faults because the film looked AWESOME on the big screen. We didn't get those fancy bandanna 3D specs, but it was really incredibly well done. Cinematically, it was a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. The action was spot on and a lot of the scenes took place in great lighting so you could see every detail. The subway fight was the only scene where everything was dingy and dark, but that was soon remedied.

Some of the plot was inspired. Having the turtles introduced slowly created expectation and the result was worth waiting for. I'd have preferred less April, and more Burne, but that was just personal preference. I wish it had been Burne Thompson who had discovered the turtles. Whoopi Goldberg's personal style of comedy would have been beautiful and added great comic relief so the turtles didn't have to be cracking jokes every two seconds. Turtles and jokes are good, but too many can seem contrived. Best to let another character bring comic relief to the story. Whilst Vernon was funny in parts, his lusting after April became a little overbearing, as did Mikey in parts.

A lot could have been done to make it much better and some obvious things were missed. Splinter finding a book of ninjutsu was just terrible and the origin story was chopped up to death, like Leo katana-ing them. April's presence felt forced - including her origin into their backstory. The over-use of props actually on the turtles themselves detracted from the beauty of the design and took focus away from the amazing detail, which was a shame. Hopefully, in the sequel, they won't feel the need to over-adorn themselves and just be the warriors without all that extra stuff.

However, all these little details were blown away by the UNBELIEVABLE MUTANT TURTLE, life-like, photo-realistic wonders that fit stunningly into the New York surroundings. I think Megan Fox was a little boring as April, though. She didn't have the same oomph that Paige Turco and Judith Hoag had; even Sarah Michelle Geller's voice had more impact. That smallish voice of hers doesn't really fit with April either. She sounded shy and reticent, not really April-like.

The only two human characters that I really enjoyed was Burnadette Thompson and April's roommate. Both of these were underused unforgivably really. You don't give a zillion scenes to Fox and give Whoopi a couple of lines.

However, when the turtles were around they DOMINATED THE FILM completely. I loved the new direction film-makers are going in; photo realism makes anything possible on the big screen. Anything from a cartoon or comic book could be adapted with real success; bolstered by a great story. It's exciting to see that leap forward - ninja turtles that look like they could jump out from the screen and fight their ways over to you. Bridging the gap between cartoons and real life. Love it.

After the film, we stealthily made our way home.

We disappeared into the traffic and faded away .... without a trace.

BeFunky_SDC10175.jpgBeFunky_SDC10166.jpgBeFunky_SDC10172.jpgBeFunky_SDC10177.jpg
    Life is about finding balance .... especially on a drunken Friday night!