Thread: In retrospect...

Default In retrospect...

After having seen the movie and re-watched clips of it online numerous times, I was happy to see much of what I was hoping for in TF4.

* A triple changer. (Drift)

* An underlying threat for the next 2 movies. (Galvatron and the Creators)

* Dinobots (Although used as a more heroic save at the last minute and for a short period of time. At least it introduced them into the new trilogy. And they survived! lol)

* Good character actors. Seriously, it was a tough not to like most of the case this time. Even those voice acting.

* The death of Ratchet. Horribly brutal too! It definitely made Lockdown and the humans a more serious threat.

* Nemesis Prime. Wait, what? Yes. He was referred to in the movie, although indirectly. Joshua kept trying to make an Optimus Prime Replica. We got Galvatron because of Megatrons influence. However the truck mode is still technically Nemesis Prime, while the robot mode is Megatron/Galvatron. This is why so many thought it was Nemesis Prime before the movie came out, because technically it was and is!

* Optimus being totally bad a$$ this time around. He wasn't the weak and generally unwilling to fight soldier from the past 3 movies who always got his butt kicked. This time he was truly a leader.

* G1 Prime. And did anyone else noticed that when he transformed, he transformed almost exactly like the G1 toys?

* The 'Tonka' truck easter egg.

* A stronger Autobot presence because of the Dinobots help. Because as Crosshairs pointed out, being the underdog sucks.

* A more streamlined look. Some complained about the Transformers looking more human, but I find it a natural progression. I mean come on, we have robots in real life that look human. And while the Autobots have adapted a more human look, the Decepticons generally haven't. I would say since they live here and are adapting stuff from us, that it's only a natural progression.

* An open ending that is not fully resolved and keeps people wanting more. This time it actually leads into the next movies.

What needs work:

* The script. It really needs to be tightened. I generally understood what was going on, but there was also so much going on I missed some of it too. It's a double edge sword. If you do too much people get lost and confused. Don't do enough and people are still lost and confused.

* The actors. There was a lot of good. But there was still a cheese factor to some of the lines and action. Although I did like Drifts response when he saw the Dinobots transform, and he thought they were gonna transform into giant cars. Nice touch. lol. I love Nicola. I think she could be a stronger female lead if given a good chance. I'm not the only one that hates when the female leads seem to get all whiney all the time.

* I think the TF movies would do better around the 2-2:15 hour mark.

* Too much jumping around from place to place and person to person without a good segue I think confuses people about what is really going on.

* The particle transformations. I think for some that threw them off.

I could go on and on. IMO I think it was really a good movie after re-watching it and the scenes over and over. But it took multiple watchings to really 'get it' I think.

I know it's been said Michael won't be back nor will Mark for the next one.

I can see Michael still being a producer on it which I think would be fine. And as for Mark, only time will really tell regardless of what he has stated.

As of right now, people need to understand that a TF movie not directed by Mr. Bay could be a double edged sword. It could be better and more fluid. Or it could be worse. Anyone thinking it couldn't be worse, I'd bet you would be the first whining if it is.

With all that being said I enjoyed TF4 and think the team did a great job on it. They really do have much to be proud of!

Default Re: In retrospect...

Quote Originally Posted by whitetigergrowl View Post
    After having seen the movie and re-watched clips of it online numerous times, I was happy to see much of what I was hoping for in TF4.

* A triple changer. (Drift)

* An underlying threat for the next 2 movies. (Galvatron and the Creators)

* Dinobots (Although used as a more heroic save at the last minute and for a short period of time. At least it introduced them into the new trilogy. And they survived! lol)

* Good character actors. Seriously, it was a tough not to like most of the case this time. Even those voice acting.

* The death of Ratchet. Horribly brutal too! It definitely made Lockdown and the humans a more serious threat.

* Nemesis Prime. Wait, what? Yes. He was referred to in the movie, although indirectly. Joshua kept trying to make an Optimus Prime Replica. We got Galvatron because of Megatrons influence. However the truck mode is still technically Nemesis Prime, while the robot mode is Megatron/Galvatron. This is why so many thought it was Nemesis Prime before the movie came out, because technically it was and is!

* Optimus being totally bad a$$ this time around. He wasn't the weak and generally unwilling to fight soldier from the past 3 movies who always got his butt kicked. This time he was truly a leader.

* G1 Prime. And did anyone else noticed that when he transformed, he transformed almost exactly like the G1 toys?

* The 'Tonka' truck easter egg.

* A stronger Autobot presence because of the Dinobots help. Because as Crosshairs pointed out, being the underdog sucks.

* A more streamlined look. Some complained about the Transformers looking more human, but I find it a natural progression. I mean come on, we have robots in real life that look human. And while the Autobots have adapted a more human look, the Decepticons generally haven't. I would say since they live here and are adapting stuff from us, that it's only a natural progression.

* An open ending that is not fully resolved and keeps people wanting more. This time it actually leads into the next movies.

What needs work:

* The script. It really needs to be tightened. I generally understood what was going on, but there was also so much going on I missed some of it too. It's a double edge sword. If you do too much people get lost and confused. Don't do enough and people are still lost and confused.

* The actors. There was a lot of good. But there was still a cheese factor to some of the lines and action. Although I did like Drifts response when he saw the Dinobots transform, and he thought they were gonna transform into giant cars. Nice touch. lol. I love Nicola. I think she could be a stronger female lead if given a good chance. I'm not the only one that hates when the female leads seem to get all whiney all the time.

* I think the TF movies would do better around the 2-2:15 hour mark.

* Too much jumping around from place to place and person to person without a good segue I think confuses people about what is really going on.

* The particle transformations. I think for some that threw them off.

I could go on and on. IMO I think it was really a good movie after re-watching it and the scenes over and over. But it took multiple watchings to really 'get it' I think.

I know it's been said Michael won't be back nor will Mark for the next one.

I can see Michael still being a producer on it which I think would be fine. And as for Mark, only time will really tell regardless of what he has stated.

As of right now, people need to understand that a TF movie not directed by Mr. Bay could be a double edged sword. It could be better and more fluid. Or it could be worse. Anyone thinking it couldn't be worse, I'd bet you would be the first whining if it is.

With all that being said I enjoyed TF4 and think the team did a great job on it. They really do have much to be proud of!
    Personally I want Bay to stay around just long enough to finish TF5, that's all I can ask for.
    Mark Whalberg, Shia or Megan can leave or do whatever they want, the juicy story with the creators and Dinobots as Knights needs to be finished where it left off.

If Bay really leaves I expect the next director to respect what was done in AOE and produce a great sequel answering most questions about the legend of the Knights, the creators and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Moy View Post
    Personally I want Bay to stay around just long enough to finish TF5, that's all I can ask for.
    Mark Whalberg, Shia or Megan can leave or do whatever they want, the juicy story with the creators and Dinobots as Knights needs to be finished where it left off.

If Bay really leaves I expect the next director to respect what was done in AOE and produce a great sequel answering most questions about the legend of the Knights, the creators and so on.
    They still have Stanley Tucci and others to fill the gap Mark will leave. They may also introduce someone else to take Marks place. Mark can always have an appearance however.

They can also use this opportunity to concentrate more on the Transformers.

Also, I think things would be fine as long as Mr. Bay still produces. Otherwise we are heading into a great unknown with the movies. The movies scream Bay from top to bottom. Some may argue losing that would be fine. But it also can be bad for the franchise too. No one expects him to do them forever. God knows he's earned a break. But he still needs input and influence. That 'style' still should be noticeable or recognizable at least.

I like Xmen: The Last Stand. But we also saw how that all turned out.

Mr. Bay and his team actually gave the fans a lot of what they wanted this time. That was noticeable and much appreciated. But at the same time for some reason it didn't do as well at the US Box Office for some reason. But IMO its still not something to worry about yet.

I think this time they had so much going on trying to introduce characters and re-introduce characters and change and continue the storyline from the previous movies there was just too much going on for many to understand what was happening. It was overload, which was why it was likely pushed to record setting times.

I know I personally talked to a lot of people that liked the movie but were horribly confused about events and Transformers in it. So I had to explain it. There was just so much going on for them to process.

I still feel Unicron in some capacity will arrive. It just seems inevitable especially if Prime is now going after the creators.

But that opens up new questions. It was mentioned in the movie there were no Autobots left, that this was it. But I believe they meant on Earth. I believe there are plenty of others still in space. I'd be surprised if there weren't and it was just Prime.

The next movie should more clearly answer the main questions left open from this movie. Bay even said this movie would leave questions lingering, but obviously many didn't see that interview.

I think a lot of people actually liked the movie. They just wish things would have been tightened up a bit more.

But I did love all the hidden eggs and gems in the movie. Did anyone else notice John Goodmans voice "I'm perfectly calm dude." when Bee transforms in front of Stinger at KSI and is told to calm down. Boom, John Goodmans voice right there, along with voicing Hound. Just like they did in Dark of the Moon with Spock and Sentinal Prime being voiced by Leonard Nimoy. Loved it!

I would love to see Prime find some of the autobots imprisoned, like Kup and Hot Rod, Ultra Magnus. The Sharkticons, and the Quintessons should make an appearance. I always thought a live action Quintesson would be creepy, and the Sharkticons would look pretty menacing. Unicron would be massive, but I think it could be done. With the way the last movie ended, I don't see much room for the human element in the new movies.

I know there's a lot of rumors that Bay and Wahlberg won't return but neither have explicitly stated that they will indeed be leaving.