Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official TMNT Discussion thread [SPOILERS]

Default Official TMNT Discussion thread [SPOILERS]

Going to see it this weekend.

Angry Re: Official TMNT Discussion thread [SPOILERS]

No official release date here in India!!!! .......

they are delaying..... thats sick!!

Default Re: Official TMNT Discussion thread [SPOILERS]

Quote Originally Posted by saprem.kini View Post
    No official release date here in India!!!! .......

they are delaying..... thats sick!!
    The Local theater is only now showing Hercules. I won't be seeing it any time soon either.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
    -John Wayne (The Shootist)

The first movie my Dad ever took me to see was the first Turtles movie. I was 9 years old. If I wasn't playing with Transformers, I was playing with Ninja Turtles. Needless to say I was interested to see how this movie turned out. Overall I enjoyed it, but I'm hoping the sequel brings in more characters from the cartoon, with less emphasis on April.

Liked:
    -The Turtles. The most important thing to me over everything else was that they got each turtle's character right, and I believe they succeeded here. The acted exactly how you'd expect them to act. Mikey and Raf were especially great.
    -The action was great. The avalanche scene was incredible.
    -Shredder's armor

Disliked:
    -The drastically changed backstory (I don't even think the Transformers backstory wasn't altered this much).
    -Damn near everything revolved around April.
    -Why Shredder actually needed that insane armor was never really explained.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post

Liked:
    -The Turtles. The most important thing to me over everything else was that they got each turtle's character right, and I believe they succeeded here. The acted exactly how you'd expect them to act. Mikey and Raf were especially great.
    -Shredder's armor
    Totally agree. Loved it, which was a huge surprise. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I am glad I saw it. The 80s cartoon is a distant memory, so the changed backstory does not bother me.

Shredders armor did give me pause at first, but then it was like...whatever, why not. lol

Overall, a great fun action packed movie.

Didn't see this movie as yet. I don't care about the reviews because they are subjective. And you can't go watch it ready to compare it to the 1980 version-which suck dry monkey balls....80's babies shouldn't be complaining because this new movie is for the kids of today...my parents probably though the 80's version was crap while little me thought it was the shit...now my 8 yr old nephew thinks this movie rocks..
    ~~~Everything our Government knew of aliens we were told had been shared. They lied to us. They've made a grave mistake."~~~

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    The first movie my Dad ever took me to see was the first Turtles movie. I was 9 years old. If I wasn't playing with Transformers, I was playing with Ninja Turtles. Needless to say I was interested to see how this movie turned out. Overall I enjoyed it, but I'm hoping the sequel brings in more characters from the cartoon, with less emphasis on April.

Liked:
    -Shredder's armor

Disliked:
    -The drastically changed backstory (I don't even think the Transformers backstory wasn't altered this much).
    -Damn near everything revolved around April.
    -Why Shredder actually needed that insane armor was never really explained.
    Actually it began as a comic 30 years ago and became a popular toon from 1987 to 96 and i think the story is different than the comics, toons and previous movies although it's okay. The avalanche scene was superb i gotta say and your right Shredder was too insane with no explanation.

I want to see it. I can't keep away from spoilers because I love TMNT so I know pretty much everything that happens already. I've seen a lot of the movie in TV spots and, come October, I will have seen a huge jigsaw puzzle that - put together in the right order - will pretty much make up most of the movie. Or at least, a lot of the good bits. The Technodrome is going mad with spoilers and I can't help but look at them. I want to be part of the hype and enjoy this experience with Americans online.

I've heard about some key changes to the source material. (1) No Hamato Yoshi. (2) Splinter learns ninjutsu from a book. I like the fact that the writers are going with a different slant and it isn't any less ridiculous than the original source material, so kudos.

For anyone who wants Hamato Yoshi, here is a little idea I cobbled together.

Hamato Yoshi was in the laboratory and worked under April's father for many years. He took a shine to Splinter and practiced martial arts by his cage so that the rat would copy him. He found it cute and endearing that a rat would try to mimick him. Unknown to all, he was a immigrant from Japan, forced into hiding in New York because of Shredder's vendetta.

Vendetta = Yoshi ran a school of ninjutsu in Japan that would eventually become the Foot Clan. Oroku Saki was his most adept student but he had an unhealthy fascination with his own sister, Tang Shen. Yoshi fought for Shen's honour, lost, and was exilled from the school. Saki killed his sister and took control of the Foot and turned them into ninja terrorists. Yoshi fled to America and became a lab technician where he continued to practice his ninja training and eventually opened a ninjutsu school in the NY area. He put together a how-to book to help his students learn quickly and efficiently.

Anywho, Saki finds out that Yoshi is in NY when he teams up with Eric Sachs and finds his old nemesis working in the laboratory. Filled with rage, Saki kills Yoshi outright and burns down the ninja school. He flings Yoshi's How-to books into the sewers in disgust (really, a how-to ninja manual?) and everything else goes as was in the film. The fire broke out, young April saved the turtles, yadda yadda.

Splinter was so traumatised when Hamato Yoshi was killed he suffered amnesia. Add that to the fire in the lab and everything going to crap .... and he was a severely shook up little rat. All he knew was that he had an insane hatred of the Shredder for some reason and found a book in the sewer that he automatically trusted to teach them everything they needed to know. When the moves came so easily, it failed to process in his ratty mind that there was a connection. He had practiced with Yoshi in his cage, but, traumatised ... he couldn't remember exactly what had happened.

So that's why Splinter knows the Shredder when he attacks them in their sewer home. He just doesn't want to remember all the crap because he's messed up in the head about the way Yoshi was killed and can't process what happened.
    Life is about finding balance .... especially on a drunken Friday night!

Enjoyed the movie.

Anyway you slice it (Pizza pun), this was a terrible movie. And to defend it for fun factor is just irresponsible. It was a fun, if not mind numbing. But anyways, this is what was wrong with it.

-You can't become a ninja master by reading a book you found in the sewer.
    -Shredder had a lifetime of training and he was beat by a bunch of of teenagers who were trained buy a some dude who learned basic moves from a book.
    -Splinter did not come off as a master. I had no respect for him.
    -The rivalry between Splinter and Shredder was too one sided.
    -April being there from "the beginning" was so freaking stupid.
    -Shredders plan was stupid and you can't use the mutagen as a cure. it mutates things. Side effects include turning you into a mutant freak.
    -How does mutagen fix splinter when he already has it in system?
    -How are you going to rule a freaking city without the country taking it back? Motivations of the villains were very unbelievable.
    -April came off as an idiot. When the truth is unbelievable, don't tell the whole truth. especially when you have no proof.

I'm sure I could think of some other things I hated about the film if I watched it again. which will probably be never. but there were some good points.

-The characters were fun and the acting was good all the way around.
    -It was fun to watch if you could ignore the plot holes.
    -Splinter training the turtles specifically to fight the foot was dead on.
    -and since I watched it as a double feature at the drive in, I got to watch Hercules, which was one of the best movies I've seen this year.

So I don't totally regret watching this file. But for the life of me, I don't know how bad writers keep getting work in Hollywood.
    "...my heart is turned to stone; I strike it, and it hurts my hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by uraydo View Post
    But for the life of me, I don't know how bad writers keep getting work in Hollywood.
    It's not what you know, it's who you know.

No more than a ordinary rat can learn it from his cage by mimicking the moves performed by his master. As far as I can tell the only origin that makes any sense is from the 80s cartoon. A master of ninjutsu who gets mutated into a rat. He's in the sewer, he could've had rat DNA on him and genetic transference by mutagen.

Won't be seeing the movie until Saturday but I can tell you I never had really high hopes for this film to start with. I can't judge it until I've seen it myself.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

A fighter can improve his offensive skills training by himself.

It's like a boxer who trains by hitting the punching bag everyday for years, without a real opponent. Or a Kendo practitioner who trains by striking the air with his sword everyday for years, without striking down a real enemy.

The emphasis is on repetition. The muscles learn and the repetitive movements become your muscle memory. With that muscle memory, striking becomes your second nature.

Defensive skills though, is a different story. Normally one would need to train with a sparring partner to enhance one's defensive movements. As he would need to stage different attack scenarios.

-It was fun to watch if you could ignore the plot holes.
    I agree. My daughter absolutely loved it. Her favorite movie of the year next to GOTG!

I'll be seeing it tonight. Good or bad, I'll let you know my thoughts later.

Well, after I bought my Popcorn (with Butter) I locked away my nostalgic memories of the 90's films as I felt they would only interfere in the enjoyment of the film. The first thing I have to point out, the Turtle's theme reminds me of some of the musical score from The Mummy (the Brendan Frasier one). Having played TMNT: Out of the Shadows , the opening really reminded me of that game. In fact, I'm almost certain it was inspired by it, including a really nice comic sequence.

Before the film I was the most critical about two Characters, April O'Neil and Splinter.I thought Fox wasn't the the right choice for April and Splinter looked like the long lost brother of A.L.F. My opinion hasn't changed much but I think I like Splinter doesn't look as bad as I thought he would be. I would not have given him the heavy eyebrows and long facial hair and instead given him more facial fur. That would've made him more rat like. I still think Fox was a poor choice, but to her credit she acted slightly better since Jenifer's Body. Her hair wasn't even red, yet in all the promotional stuff she's doing her hair is red. Go figure.

There's been some complains (okay, a LOT of complaints) on The look of the Turtles. "They Don't look like Turtles!" When have They EVER looked like Turtles? NEVER. I can't think of a single turtle I've seen from nature that they look like.

Am I the only one who thinks Michelangelo looks like WWE's Ray Mysterio?

As far as the Character personality, I think I actually like them better than the personalities of the 90's film. What I mean is they weren't yelling "EXCELLENT!" Or "GNARLY!" or "CHEVY NOVA!" It was okay back in the day but it wouldn't have worked in this movie. Speaking of the 1990 film there is a scene for you Old school fans that pay homage to the 90's film. I won't say what it is, but it made me smile.

What can I saw about the story itself? I read online that there wasn't much story development in this film. It's an action film, how many have a lot of story development in them? You just need to know enough and off you go. The plot is that the bad guys are going to use Biological warfare on the city Shredder and co plan to spray this over the city of New York and hold the city for ransom. Some people argue what would keep the rest of the US from stopping them? Well, why didn't they do it in The Dark Knight Rises? If they could release this toxin in One city you could do it to any city in the world. Oh, and the only cure is in the Mutagenic Blood of the Turtles.

Shredder looked great, Kinda what I had Hoped Megatron would've looked like in the 2007 movie. Speaking of Transformers, I think they reused the Galvatron Truck for the mountain scene. His fight scenes with both Splinter and The Turtles are actually really good. Surprisingly so considering how cumbersome that suit looked.

There are some things I didn't like.

The final scene where Shredder falls from the building, creating a crater, and he survives? He would not have survived. "But he was in a suit of armor" Armor doesn't protect your internal organs from the trauma of such a fall. Trauma like traumatic aortic rupture for example which is usually caused by high speed impacts such as those that occur in vehicle collisions and serious falls. This is the only scene in the movie where I couldn't stop that little voice in my head from nitpicking.

The other part I didn't like were the scenes of April attempting to tell her Boss about the turtles. They were almost unbearably Cliché to watch but thankfully was short.

All in all. Not as bad as I had dreaded it would be. It was worth the Money I spent for 3D, except maybe that 3D 99 times out of 100 doesn't work for me. But other than that I was Entertained.

Quote Originally Posted by MrX View Post
    I think they reused the Galvatron Truck for the mountain scene.
    Will have to watch it again to see what you are talking about there.

The first time I watched the movie there was this tall guy sitting in front of me. So his head was kind of blocking the lower right part of the screen the whole time.

I'm pretty sure its the same truck they used for Galvatron's Alt mode.

I find it a little funny that the movie has been out since the 8th and there really hasn't been that much in the way of discussion. I'm wondering if it's the old "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say nothing at all."

Anyways, Box Office:

Worldwide: $240,029,042

I find it a little funny that the movie has been out since the 8th and there really hasn't been that much in the way of discussion. I'm wondering if it's the old "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say nothing at all."

Anyways, Box Office:

Maybe. It's much more respectful than being rude.

Quote Originally Posted by hannurdock View Post
    Maybe. It's much more respectful than being rude.
    I know, but that dislike can be expressed in a respectful way. There's something called constructive criticism. I just can't get over how little feedback there's been after all the Hype.

I know, but that dislike can be expressed in a respectful way. There's something called constructive criticism. I just can't get over how little feedback there's been after all the Hype.
    I'll have to wait until I've seen it at IMAX to form a real opinion. Promise I'll stick it on here when I've seen it, at the end of October.

Anyways, Box Office:

Alright...

I'll post 1 thing I really disliked and 1 thing I really liked about the film.

Dislike: the score. It feels redundant.

Like: the elevator scene. Its my daughter's fav scene too. Really funny.

What can I saw about the story itself? I read online that there wasn't much story development in this film. It's an action film, how many have a lot of story development in them?

This way of thinking, in the words of Christopher Titus, is "part of the problem." When does a genre become an excuse to hire a lame, lazy, over paid, over rated, untalented, and/or shitty writer(s). (And did you see how many writers it took to write this uninspiring drivel?) Without plot, motivation, and character growth/depth, you can't have a story. At the very best you are left with a narrative. There has been plenty of action movies that have succeed in both action and story. Movies like, Terminator, Con Air, The Rundown, Hercules, Iron Man 3, The first live action Turtles movie, Kung Fu Hustle and many many others.

Just because bad story telling has become a staple in modern action movies, doesn't mean we have to support it. My biggest regret this year is giving this movie my money.
    "...my heart is turned to stone; I strike it, and it hurts my hand..."

This way of thinking, in the words of Christopher Titus, is "part of the problem." When does a genre become an excuse to hire a lame, lazy, over paid, over rated, untalented, and/or shitty writer(s). (And did you see how many writers it took to write this uninspiring drivel?) Without plot, motivation, and character growth/depth, you can't have a story. At the very best you are left with a narrative. There has been plenty of action movies that have succeed in both action and story. Movies like, Terminator, Con Air, The Rundown, Hercules, Iron Man 3, The first live action Turtles movie, Kung Fu Hustle and many many others.

Just because bad story telling has become a staple in modern action movies, doesn't mean we have to support it. My biggest regret this year is giving this movie my money.
    Actually, I was thinking of action movies like Commando. Hercules and Iron Man 3 didn't have strong stories behind them, a lot of the plot is recycled. Did it lesson the movie for me? Heck no, I Loved both films.

Saw the film again yesterday, The story and plot wasn't any better the second time around. Aprils interactions with her Boss and the other reporters are still hard to watch. Nobody in their right mind would act this way. If she spent 4 years studying to be a reporter why would she approach her boss without any solid proof? Another thing I didn't like was the part were Michelangelo says "She's so hot I can feel my Shell Tightening," Sure the four and five year old kids in the audience wouldn't understand that, but was it really important to know that Michelangelo was getting aroused? It wasn't even funny.

Why do the turtles when they are little sound the same when they are in their teens? Shouldn't their voices be higher pitch or something? Little Raph had this big deep voice.

Also the second time around I noticed in one shot where April is talking to the dock worker over her phone that it's another persons hand holding the phone. The Thumb doesn't match Fox's. Inserts like this are common in films. Another thing I noticed was the sai April picked up to attack Shredder in the Turtle Lair. It was smaller and I couldn't help but wonder if that wasn't a prop from the original 1990 film. Wish there was some way to find out.

I still think Shredder's fall should've killed him instantly.

I enjoyed the movie. As light summer popcorn flick, it's not terrible but actually good. It has pretty generic and trite plot as expected. But main characters are funny & charming, some action scenes are exciting & astonishing like downhill race. Especially snowy mountain sequence is one of the most amazing set pieces in 2014. I wonder how the crews did that.

PS. Overall visual style-wise, the movie resembles Bay's style a lot. I like to see more original & inventive look.