Thread: Skull Island

Default Skull Island

King Kong is coming back and this time it won't be a sequel or a reboot or a remake or a re-anything. It will be a totally new stand alone movie and it's set to premiere on November 4, 2016. The story will focus on Skull Island and on the animals and people living there.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/le...ie-1201269540/

IMDB link.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3236572/

Default Re: Skull Island

Comic-Con: Legendary Wants Joe Cornish For ‘Skull Island’
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE FLEMING JR
    EXCLUSIVE:
    Legendary Pictures wowed the crowd in Hall H by unveiling Skull Island, a new feature by Godzilla scribe Max Borenstein based on the mythic origins of King Kong, where mutant giant creatures rule. They set a November 4, 2016, release and are wasting no time staffing up. I’m told they’ve offered the directing job to Joe Cornish, who has been offered big movies since his low-budget alien-invasion breakthrough pic Attack The Block. I’m not sure if Cornish will take the job because he’s offered so much — like Universal’s Section Six, the Aaron Berg-scripted drama about the formation of MI6 Brit intelligence branch, for instance. But this is going to be catnip to some hotshot director. When Peter Jackson re-made King Kong, the part where they landed on Skull Island and ran for their lives from over-sized exotic carnivorous creatures was the highlight of the movie. No comment from Cornish’s CAA reps.

Collider @ Comic-Con:
    Peter Jackson, Benedict Cumberbatch, Andy Serkis, Evangeline Lilly, Cate Blanchett and Orlando Bloom Talk THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES
    Quote Originally Posted by Christina Radish
    What do you think about Legendary doing another King Kong with Guillermo del Toro?
    JACKSON:
    I don’t know anything about it. I’m hearing it from you, for the first time. I would look forward to it. If Guillermo did King Kong, that would be great. That would be fantastic. I’ll be there on the first day, and will help him with anything he needs. I’ve always wondered, if in my lifetime, whether we’re going to see The Lord of the Rings film remade, or The Hobbit remade. How long will it actually last or survive until someone remakes it? It will be interesting to see. But with Kong, we were the ones who remade it for the third time.
    SERKIS: I didn’t even realize there was another version being made. Guillermo is a great director, so I’m sure he’ll make an extraordinary film.

Collider Exclusive:
    Guillermo del Toro Says He’s Shooting a Small, Black and White Film Before PACIFIC RIM 2; John Hurt May Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Chitwood
    While del Toro is planning on starting pre-production on Pacific Rim 2 next month, he told us that he’s actually scheduled a brief hiatus in which he will shoot a much smaller movie:
    “Right away, in February/March I should [start on] another very small movie, black and white, really, really bizarre before starting—we start pre-production on Pacific Rim 2 in August, and then I interrupt it briefly to go into the first of next year to do this strange little movie, and then I restart it and go all the way until we start shooting Pacific Rim 2 at the end of 2015 for release in 2017.”
    Del Toro was reluctant to reveal too much about the project, but he did say he already has cast in mind:
    “It’s a very small cast. I would love to have John Hurt, and there’s an actress that I have in mind that is not well-known but I’ve seen her in a short film. That’s all she’s really done, one feature and one short, but she has an incredibly interesting taste and I’m gonna try her out for the main role.”
    When asked whether or not this new film fits into his previous filmography, he offered this brief, tantalizing tease:
    “There’s one great creature in it.”
    Del Toro confirmed that the project does have a title, but he’d rather the finished film speak for itself instead of divulging too much beforehand:
    “It does [have a title], but I find—I’d rather do the projects and then show them to people than talk about them. I think that it’s going to be a nice thing for people to know which one is it and where it came from when it’s a reality.”

“a team of explorers venturing into the mysterious, creature-laden isle that is also the home of the king of the apes.”

'Jurassic World' Writer Heads to 'Kong: Skull Island' (Exclusive)
    Derek Connolly is doing a little island hopping. Monster Island, that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borys Kit
    Connolly, who is director Colin Trevorrow’s frequent writing partner, was a co-screenwriter on this summer’s Jurassic World, helping reboot the dinosaurs-run-amok-on-an-island franchise.

Now the scribe has been brought on to work on Kong: Skull Island, Legendary and Universal’s monster movie that is steeped in the lore of King Kong.

The scribe is doing some late minute work as the movie is deep in the casting stages and heading for a late October start in Hawaii. (The pic will also shoot in Iceland and Vietnam.)

Max Borenstein (Godzilla), John Gatins (Flight) and Dan Gilroy (Nightcrawler) are among those that previously worked on the script.

Legendary’s Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni are producing with Mary Parent.

The movie is scheduled for a March 10, 2017 release.

In addition to Jurassic, Connolly also wrote Trevorrow’s 2012 Sundance breakout, Safety Not Guaranteed. Other credits include Paramount’s Monster Trucks, directed by Chris Wedge and awaiting release, and has Intelligent Life set up at DreamWorks. The latter, a sc-fi love story, reunites him with Trevorrow.
    Fantastic Four' Actor Toby Kebbell Joins Tom Hiddleston in 'Kong: Skull Island' (Exclusive)
    Jordan Vogt-Roberts ('Kings of Summer') is directing the creature feature.

Could Toby Kebbell Be Playing Kong In KONG: SKULL ISLAND?
    Quote Originally Posted by DEVIN FARACI
    If Andy Serkis is the number one mocap performer in Hollywood, we could make a strong argument that Kebbell is number two. What's more, his work on Apes not only had him getting tutelage from Serkis but also mastering ape movement.

Of course Kebbell is a talented (and handsome) actor in general, so he could be playing any role in the movie, and we don't yet know what the roles in this film are. It's set in the 70s, but beyond that we don't know how it riffs on the Kong story, so we can't really make any guesses on what kind of part Kebbell could be signed on for. In fact the only character we know for sure will be in this movie is King Kong himself.

Default Re: King Kong vs Godzilla 2

THR:
    'Kong: Skull Island' to Move to Warner Bros. for Planned Monster Movie Universe
    The end game: to be able to combine classic screen monsters King Kong and Godzilla into one cinematic universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borys Kit
    A Monster Universe is coming together.

Talks are underway between Legendary Entertainment, Warner Bros. and Universal to move Legendary’s Kong: Skull Island from Universal to Warner Bros., sources confirm to The Hollywood Reporter.

The end game: to be able to combine classic screen monsters King Kong and Godzilla into one cinematic universe.

Godzilla was made by Legendary with Warner Bros. and grossed around $200 million. A sequel is in active development with an eye for a 2018 release.

At the same time, Legendary is making Skull Island, a King Kong movie that is just weeks away from shooting and will star Tom Hiddleston and Brie Larson, among others.

When it became clear that all roads led to an eventual crossover with a series of movies on these so-called super species, talks began to move Skull Island. The dealmaking isn’t as complicated as one would think: Universal has no financial stake and was only to distribute the movie.

Tom Hiddleston Says ‘Kong: Skull Island’ Takes King Kong Myth in New Direction
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Lang
    For one thing, the original King Kong film’s period setting has been scrapped.

“It’s not set in the ’30s,” said Hiddleston at Wednesday’s premiere of “Crimson Peak.” “There’s no movie director with a map. There’s no out-of-work actress down on her luck. All of that stuff is respected, we’re just trying to do something new with the myth because Kong is an icon of movies. I think he’s someone people want to see again.”

He is particularly impressed by director Jordan Vogt-Roberts’ (“Kings of Summer”) vision for the picture, saying he has “come up with the most incredible, deeply imaginative context for [King Kong] to exist in.”

Hiddleston didn’t spill about whether or not the film would unfold in the 1970s as some news outlets have reported, but he did say he was flying to the set on Sunday to begin shooting.

“Kong: Skull Island” marks a departure for Hiddleston after playing a morally conflicted aristocrat in “Crimson Peak” and the hard drinking, philandering Hank Williams in “I Saw the Light.”

“I’m excited to play an adventurer and a heroic protagonist,” said Hiddleston. “I’ve been excavating some dark material and it’s time to lighten up a bit.”

Legendary and Warner Bros. Pictures Announce Cinematic Franchise Uniting Godzilla, King Kong and Other Iconic Giant Monsters
    KONG: SKULL ISLAND confirmed for 2017
    GODZILLA 2 for 2018
    GODZILLA VS. KONG for 2020

2016 MTV MOVIE AWARDS Livestream Details Announced
    Starting at 7:30 p.m. ET/PT on show night, MTV News correspondent Josh Horowitz will host the "2016 MTV Movie Awards" Pre-Show, which will give fans an exclusive insider look at the making of three highly-anticipated movies: Baywatch, Kong: Skull Island and Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

Default Kong: Skull Island

Looks pretty damn good to me.

Looks fun

They're definitely setting up King Kong vs Godzilla with this. Though I have a bad feeling that King Kong here, like Godzilla in the recent Hollywood Godzilla movie, will just be a background character. But the ending will definitely be something to look out for, as a tease of the upcoming "vs" movie may be shown!

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Two reasons why I'm seeing this movie: Jordan Vogt-Roberts and Christian Wagner. Vogt-Roberts is a really, really cool young director who definitely has a bright future in front of him, and Wagner...well, he's simply one of the best action editors in the business.

Having said that, I personally don't think this movie will be able to top Peter Jackson's version, in terms of shear ambition, scope, production values, CGI and most importantly, imagination. Say whatever you want about Jackson's version, but it still stands as one of the most ambitious and ginormous adventure films of the last 20 years. It's the epitomy of an "epic fantasy/adventure movie". Of course, I'm gonna be watching "Skull Island" with an open mind and I'm certain I'm gonna enjoy the movie. I just think it's really tough to go up against such an ambitious and giant, in every sense of the word, Peter Jackson production.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

MOVIE LEGENDS REVEALED:
    THAT TIME KING KONG AND DONKEY KONG FOUGHT IN COURT
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Cronin
    The battle over the rights to King Kong came to a head in the mid-1970s, when famed producer Dino De Laurentiis and Universal were fighting over who had the rights to create a remake. De Laurentiis went to buy the rights to Kong from RKO. Universal, however, argued that because Cooper owned the rights to the novelization but had failed to renew the copyright, the novelization was in the public domain; therefore, Universal should be allowed to produce a film based on that novelization. So Universal sued RKO, which would become an important point years later in the Nintendo lawsuit.

It was ultimately ruled that RKO owned the rights and associated trademarks to the first two King Kongfilms, the novelization was in the public domain (but only the parts of the book that weren’t also in the RKO films, which basically is meaningless) and the rights to the King Kong character belonged to Cooper’s estate. The estate sold all but the publishing rights to Universal, which then worked out a deal with De Laurentiis in which the studio would get a cut of profits from his remake (the 1976 film starring Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lange) in exchange for delaying its King Kong picture for 18 months (Universal didn’t end up producing its version until 2005, with Peter Jackson at the helm). In addition, RKO agreed not to sue if Universal made a King Kong film (Universal would then give RKO a very small cut of the film’s profits).
    Historical Hypocrisy: Donkey Kong, King Kong, & The Public Domain
    from the monkey-see-monkey-do dept
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Geigner
    Universal Studios seems to have some trouble establishing concrete ideas and positions when it comes to copyright on its own products. In recent iterations, this has manifested itself in the form of their protesting a parody of 50 Shades of Grey while conveniently ignoring that work's birth in the form of Twighlight fan-fiction. Alternatively, there are times when Universal doesn't even seem to know what it holds the rights to and what it doesn't. Well, it turns out that these stumbles aren't exactly a new experience for Universal.

Chris ODonnell writes in with the historical and hysterical case of Universal suing Nintendo over Donkey Kong shortly after Universal itself had argued that the property the dispute was based on, King Kong, was in the public domain. See, back when Michael Jackson was still best known for his music, Nintendo came up with their iconic Donkey Kong character, admittedly in some part inspired by the famous King Kong character. This inspiration, it turns out, came after the fact, but that didn't stop Universal Studios from filing suit against Nintendo, because they had released a remake of King Kong a few years earlier. While some within Nintendo wanted to simply settle with Universal and move forward, others within sought out the words of a key ally to fight against them, and that ally was Universal Studios.
    Universal’s King Kong movie debuted in 1976, but it wasn’t an original story. Rather, the movie was a remake of a movie with the same title made in 1933 by RKO General. The 1976 remake came with its own round of litigation, with many parties claiming to have at least partial rights over the name, characters, and plot of the movie. Universal, however, argued that no one did, and that the characters and plot were in the public domain. In the subsequent litigation with Nintendo, the court noted this inconsistency, using it as part of the basis for finding that Nintendo’s Donkey Kong game did not infringe upon Universal’s rights (if any) over King Kong. Nintendo prevailed, and, when Universal appealed, the next court admonished Universal for its inconsistent legal logic.
    Ah, sweet, sweet hypocrisy. With one hand, hitting Nintendo over the head with the IP hammer, while holding a shield against another IP hammer with the other. The court was not pleased, noting that Universal's president, Sidney Sheinberg, was clearly well versed in the intellectual property status of King Kong via the earlier lawsuit, and to then pretend the company held rights in it was clearly a move to abuse the law:
    Finally, Universal's conduct amounted to an abuse of judicial processes, and in that sense caused a larger harm to the public as a whole. Depending on the commercial results, Universal alternatively argued to the courts, first, that King Kong was part of the public domain, and then second, that King Kong was not part of the public domain, and that Universal possessed exclusive trademark rights in it. Universal's assertions in court were based not on any good faith belief in their truth, but on the mistaken belief that it could use the courts to turn a profit.
    As noted, Nintendo was victorious and Donkey Kong was released, since becoming its own franchise and propelling Nintendo so such status that it can initiate its own legal action based on its intellectual property.

Such a wonderful web intellectual property tends to weave.

Universal City Studios v. Nintendo Co., 578 F. Supp. 911 (S.D.N.Y. 1983)

Default Re: Kong: Skull Island

/film:
    The ‘Kong: Skull Island’ Monsters Were Inspired by ‘Princess Mononoke’
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Vogt-Roberts
    The creatures are a big thing. Jurassic World obviously owns the dinosaur thing right now. If Kong is the God of this island, we wanted each of the creatures to feel like they’re individual gods of their own domain. Miyazaki and Princess Mononoke was actually a big reference in the way that the spirit creatures sort of have their own domains and fit within that. A big thing was trying to design creatures that felt realistic and could exist in an ecosystem that feels sort of wild and out there, and then also design things that simultaneously felt beautiful and horrifying at the same time. Where if you look at this giant spider or water buffalo, you stare at, a part of you says, ‘that’s the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen’ and ‘oh my god, that’s going to kill me right now, I need to run for my life!

Default Re: King Kong 1933

BMD:
    Giant Monsters Mag Sneak Peek: The Special Effects Of KING KONG

Kong was a good movie. I watched it last night. Lots of Kong screen time. Lots of giant fight scenes. They took the Godzilla film criticisms and responded in this one. And they obviously teased Godzilla in the after credits.

After watching the movie personally I think Kong won’t be able to take on Godzilla in a pure fist fight. He bleeds, and he’s vulnerable just like normal Gorillas – only that he’s “bigger” – but he can be hurt by fire and the like. And Godzilla’s “nuclear.” A blast from his mouth could destroy or do a lot of damage to Kong. Also, Kong can’t breathe underwater like Godzilla.
    But Kong clearly has the higher IQ of the two, and you’ll see what I mean when you watch Kong. So he should be able to use that to his advantage in the fight. Strategize and use tools around him or something.