Thread: 87 or 93 minutes runtime? Really?

Default 87 or 93 minutes runtime? Really?

Right now websites have set the runtime for this movie to either 87 or 93 minutes...

If that is going to be true then it will be in big trouble.

At the very least it should be a 110-120minutes movie.

Too short is not good. How many filmed and completed scenes are going to be cut by studios managers if it gets down to 87 or 93 minutes?

If the runtime it's really going to be confirmed at 87 or 93 minutes then it will look like the mess that Disney/Touchstone managers did to the sci-fi movie Surrogates trimmed down
    to just 89minutes runtime and with more than 30 minutes of completed scenes reported by some websites to have been cut for unknown (read: lame nonsense) studios internal politics reasons. That movie was good BUT the cuts really ruined it a lot. A lot of missing scenes and details and plot and characters development..

I hope that it's not going to happen to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles too...

Default Re: 87 or 93 minutes runtime? Really?

Yep.....Don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about a 90 minute movie being too short, but then I noticed who made this thread, and it all makes sense now.

Welcome back Sir.

I don't think this movie would benefit much from being over two hours long.

Even the movie makers have to keep up with today's times. This means relatively shorter movies so they could squeeze in more viewings in a day, which of course translates to more income for them. Also, shorter films are cheaper to make, which again helps them save bucks.
    Gone are the days when we used to get 2 and a half or 3 hour long movies.

I don't really mind though, as long as they're well done and fast paced.

I have to agree 87 minutes is too short for such anticipated movie. They give the running time with the end credits which means that the actual movie will be 80 minutes. That's a joke. No matter how good the story is. I hope this is not true.

The trailer of the movie was revealed as the most watched trailer for 2014 beating movies like Transformers, Godzilla and Spiderman. Obviously there's a huge anticipation and I like what I'm seeing so far. I'm sure that people would like to spend more time with the movie in the theater.

Maybe the re-shoots that are happening right now are because of the short running time.

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Editing, editing, editing. It's all about editing.

Months and months before the premiere and some people out on the web actually believe these rumors about the runtime. I guess they're not aware that during editing a lot of things can and will change. Especially when it comes to big-budget movies.

Thing is, the "Ninja Turtles" movie is still in post-production. There are more than 4 months before it hits theaters. Maybe right now they're doing some reshoots. I'm not part of the crew but I'm pretty damn sure that at this point no one can really say what the exact/official runtime will be. Can folks speculate? Yes, sure. But that's about it.

It's just too early and as we all know from the "Revenge of the Fallen" behind-the-scenes footage sometimes you work on your movie even on the day of its worldwide premiere. It's not an easy job.

By the way, I remember a few months ago there was a rumor about the "Transformers 4" runtime. Someone said that Bay said the movie will be shorter than the others. Some people on social media sites even said it'll be around 90-95 minutes long. Mind you, at that point Bay was still shooting the movie. Which makes the runtime rumors even more ridiculous. No filmmaker can say so early in the process what the exact number will be or whether the movie will be longer or shorter. Especially an accomplished filmmaker like Bay who is well aware of how many things (can) change during editing.

Bottom line: just don't trust the "early information" on the web.

For the record, I also don't like short movies. "Short" works for stuff like "Scary Movie", but as far as big, big movies are concerned I like them long. Really long. It's actually one of the reasons why I like Bay's films - they're long (there are a lot of things to absorb) and at the same time they're fast-paced. Not an easy thing to accomplish, but the man is doing a great job.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

I think the run time sounds about right for this kinda movie. The first three original movies were 93, 88 and 96 minutes. I just watched the first one on Blu-ray about a month ago and I still like it a lot. The pace is pretty good through out the whole movie without any longer slow periods. A movie round 120 minutes would be too long especially when the Turtles in this one are all computer generated. I think they wanna keep the movie pretty fast paced for the whole 80-90 minutes instead of having long talk scenes that slows the pace down before the next action scene.
    I gotta wait till they release the full length trailer to see more how the Turtles look and act, but from what I saw in the teaser trailer, I didn't like how the Turtles looked compared to the Turtles in the original movies.