Thread: Is it true Michael is not a fan of superheroes/comic book movies?

Default Is it true Michael is not a fan of superheroes/comic book movies?

Yet he is doing TFs and Ninja Turtles, how odd.

I wonder what does he think of the Nolan Batman movies? those are unique comic book movies. And even originally Bay was listed to be a director for the adaptation of Watchmen in 2003 but backed out.

Doesn't he know that not all comic book movies involve superheroes like Sin City, 300, Akira, Oldboy, Dredd, Road to Perdition, History of Violence etc.? all excellent films based on graphic novels.

Default Re: Is it true Michael is not a fan of superheroes/comic book movies?

Who said he wasn't a fan?

I wish I could remember the exact source, but he's gone on record stating that superheroes aren't really "his thing". He came close once with Superman, but that never materialized.

As for TRANSFORMERS, Michael said somewhere on the commentary for the first movie that he's more comfortable working with giant robots than men in tights, as they're the kind of thing that's influenced by the superhero genre, without technically being actual "superheroes".

Huh, you mean to tell me that Marcus and Mike aren't superheroes?

Well that's his thing and i respect it. Different strokes for different folks as they say.
    Also i think he respects superhero movies that are well done even when he's not a fan of superheroes.

Like for me, I'm not really a fan of cars, at least not anymore. Because compared to say jet fighters, cars are very technologically backward. Im more of a fan of rocket sciences, military breakthroughs, new inventions, and etc. And a car is not one of those. But i have big respect for car movies like TF and am a big fan of the franchise, not so much because of the cars but because the cgi and effects are incredible!

And glad you passed on doing Watchmen? i mean the graphic novel is cerebral and it's not his thing you know but luckily Snyder took over the job

I don't know how superhero flicks would turn out if MB were to do them. I'm sure they'd be really nifty. Being a professional has nothing to do with personal likes or dislikes. Its about getting the job done because you're getting paid to do it. And MB is one of the most professional artist in the world, at least as far as filmmaking goes.

But do you think he's a Nolan fan and liked the TDK trilogy?

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    But do you think he's a Nolan fan and liked the TDK trilogy?

Well, clearly you are a Nolan fan and you like the "Dark Knight" trilogy. Maybe a bit too much...

Anyway, only Bay can answer whether he likes the recent Batman films or not (why does it even matter?). Asking other people to answer instead of him is kinda weird.

And not to be a party pooper, but I can assure you that there are people in showbiz (including the director of "The Fly") who don't share your enthusiasm and are not fans of the "Dark Knight" trilogy. There are people who like those movies (some are even obsessed with them) and there are people who hate them with a passion.

Nothing new under the sun. Just the way it is with all popular and successful movies out there.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Senior Member Bot of Badassness's Avatar

He's never said that he doesn't like superhero movies, he's just said that he's not really interested in making those kinds of movies. There are many styles of filmmaking he does like and he has been offered many different projects, such as superhero movies, but he's turned them down.

If I remember correctly, he chose to do Transformers because he liked the lore, was inspired by concept art from a variety of the cartoons, and imagined driving down the highway and his car suddenly shifting its parts into the form of a robot.

Banned

He openly admitted he didn't really want to make Transformers on one of the Transformers bonus disc videos, not sure if he was trying to be funny, a smart ass or just a douchebag but his attitude and body language clearly showed he wasn't very interested in the entire project, I'm assuming all he saw in his mind was dollar signs and nothing else.

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Majestic View Post
    He openly admitted he didn't really want to make Transformers on one of the Transformers bonus disc videos, not sure if he was trying to be funny, a smart ass or just a douchebag but his attitude and body language clearly showed he wasn't very interested in the entire project, I'm assuming all he saw in his mind was dollar signs and nothing else.

Since when being honest equals being a douchebag/smart-ass? He could've easily said that he was the biggest "Transformers" fan and that would've been it. So the fact that a "non-fan" started this franchise - which now stands as one of the most successful film franchises in history - really speaks for itself.

Goes to show that you don't have to be the biggest fan of a certain material in order to successfuly put it on film.

And by the way I really doubt that Bay, as you said, was seeing only dollar signs, simply because the first "Transformers" was one of the riskiest Paramount/Dreamworks projects and no one really knew what the movie will do, box office-wise. It was a risk for the director, for the producers and for the actors. A huge one at that.

I clearly remember reading that folks from the studios were extremely nervous before the premiere because there were real concerns that mainstream audiences will reject the movie based on its premise. At the time the idea of talking, transforming robots seemed really silly to a lot of ordinary viewers.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

I'm not a super Hero fan either and i think pumping some Bay reality into that world is the best things that ever happened to the super Hero thing.

He did it his way and i wouldn't have done it any other way either.
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...
    I'm a decepticon and my name is _____ All Hail Megatron!

Don’t Expect Michael Bay to Direct a Marvel Sequel
    Quote Originally Posted by Haleigh Foutch
    It’s not that Bay isn’t a fan, “I really liked Civil War. I like a lot of the Marvel movies,” he told the journalists on set. “When I saw Iron Man, it broke a lot of new ground for me, and it was a great character. Funny, witty, I liked that about it.” Though he does “wonder where [superhero movies] are going to go,” noting that Batman v Superman and Captain America: Civil War as having “almost the same setup.”

The bigger problem is that Bay doesn’t want to come into a movie universe that’s already fully formed. He wants to create the world himself. And that pretty much rules out joining a shared universe. “I wouldn’t want to, it’s not my thing, it’s just not my gig,” Bay explained.

“I don’t ever wanna take someone like a third of something or second of something. I gotta do my own thing,” Bay continued, “’cause the most fun is when a real director creates the world. You know, you talk to Ridley Scott, one our favorite things to do is to create the world. Steven Spielberg, create the world. That is what it’s about.” Adding, “If I were to do something I would have to redo it my way.”