Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blu-ray/DVD - Tuesday, August 13

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Question Blu-ray/DVD - Tuesday, August 13

Sounds about right:

- http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Blu-ra...in--Gain/12461

But...it is kinda weird because at the same time the movie will hit the theaters in the UK, Germany, Spain, Greece and many other countries.

We'll see what happens...
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Senior Member Bot of Badassness's Avatar

Default Re: Blu-ray/DVD - Tuesday, August 13

Guess I'll have to buy a new Blu-ray player that can play multi-zone then. This really is ridiculous.

Or all Paramount's releases zone free?
    Top 10 Movies of 2016: Hunt for the Wilderpeople, 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, The Conjuring 2, Finding Dory, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Deadpool, Zootopia, The Nice Guys, Me Before You, Lights Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bot of Badassness View Post
    Guess I'll have to buy a new Blu-ray player that can play multi-zone then. This really is ridiculous.

Or all Paramount's releases zone free?
    99% of Paramount's movies are region free.

Banned

Paramount uploaded a youtube vid that says Coming Soon..

so hopefully its before August? if it was August then why would they upload this vid now right?? wish it was this month.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    99% of Paramount's movies are region free.
    Excellent! Thank you so much I'll preorder it for sure, hopefully Michael might offer up some autographed copies, if so I would get one of those.

So I'll go see the movie in cinemas when it's released on August 8 and then receive the Blu-ray about 2 weeks later in the mail, awesome!
    Top 10 Movies of 2016: Hunt for the Wilderpeople, 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, The Conjuring 2, Finding Dory, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Deadpool, Zootopia, The Nice Guys, Me Before You, Lights Out.

"Paramount Home Media Distribution has officially announced that it will release a combo pack edition of director Michael Bay's (Bad Boys, The Rock) latest action film Pain & Gain (2013) ... The Blu-ray and DVD in the combo pack will host only the main feature. There are no supplemental features listed on the current press release."

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11505#comments

I hope we do get lots of special features and hopefully an extended cut. But so far, good news that we'll be getting combo packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bot of Badassness View Post
    "Paramount Home Media Distribution has officially announced that it will release a combo pack edition of director Michael Bay's (Bad Boys, The Rock) latest action film Pain & Gain (2013) ... The Blu-ray and DVD in the combo pack will host only the main feature. There are no supplemental features listed on the current press release."

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11505#comments

I hope we do get lots of special features and hopefully an extended cut. But so far, good news that we'll be getting combo packs.
    This will be a barebones release. No BTS featurettes or commentaries.

The film will be available on Digital two weeks early on August 13th.

Pain & Gain Blu-ray Cover by Michael Bay Dot Com, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post

That's disappointing. Bay's approach to developing and filming P&G is especially interesting to me, even more so than the Transformers films.

Ed Fuego
    "can you ban people who put other members quotes in their sig? if that is not a tell all sign that a person is going to be annoying i don't know what is."
    - thegreat

I understand the probable lack of time, but for a passion project I would have loved to have had a BTS. Especially with Bay shooting so low budget again.

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    Will there be another release with special features later on?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Fuego View Post
    That's disappointing. Bay's approach to developing and filming P&G is especially interesting to me, even more so than the Transformers films.

Same here. I really hope that Bay is not ignoring "Pain & Gain" in favor of "Transformers 4".
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    Same here. I really hope that Bay is not ignoring "Pain & Gain" in favor of "Transformers 4".
    Right now, all the focus is on TF4. He can't be going back to LA & disrupt production.

Well I assume that is exactly what he needs be doing so I'm not surprised in the least. Just disappointed.

Ed Fuego
    "can you ban people who put other members quotes in their sig? if that is not a tell all sign that a person is going to be annoying i don't know what is."
    - thegreat

So it's gonna be released on Blu-ray in August and it's coming here to the theaters first on September 13th.
    Wonder how many are just gonna download the movie from some pirate site in a 1080p format and watch it at home, instead of buying a ticket and go see it at the movie theaters instead? One things for sure. This can't be good for business to release a movie on Blu-ray before it's even premiered in several European countries...

Quote Originally Posted by frolunda71 View Post
    So it's gonna be released on Blu-ray in August and it's coming here to the theaters first on September 13th.
    Wonder how many are just gonna download the movie from some pirate site in a 1080p format and watch it at home, instead of buying a ticket and go see it at the movie theaters instead? One things for sure. This can't be good for business to release a movie on Blu-ray before it's even premiered in several European countries...
    100% this.

You know, I know this probably isn't anything to do with Mr Bay but it just sucks. The movies he's involved in is too much of a business. I know it's always been like this, but for the first time since 2005, he makes something original and it's shoved into the summer when it's clearly not a summer blockbuster. And then theres the barebones DVDs. And now we have to wait for another giant robot flick? I think I'm done with Mr Bay for a couple of years, indie film is much more exciting.
    I've always defended Michael Bay against attacks that his films are full of stupid explosions, girls in underwear and mindless characters... but then he made Transformers 2 and I conceded...

Quote Originally Posted by kevski View Post
    The movies he's involved in is too much of a business. I know it's always been like this, but for the first time since 2005, he makes something original and it's shoved into the summer when it's clearly not a summer blockbuster. And then theres the barebones DVDs. And now we have to wait for another giant robot flick?

I agree completely. It's a shame that "Pain & Gain" is treated like that. It's good that it did well at the US box office, but in terms of the overseas market Paramount f***** up royally. Releasing it in most countries at the same time it comes out on Blu-ray. Seriously, how stupid is that?

Anyway, I really, really hope that after "Transformers 4" Bay moves as far away as possible from this franchise. It really overshadows everything else he's doing. It's time to move on.

This time for real.

If it wasn't for the giant robot movie "Pain & Gain" would've had a great Blu-ray release. I'm sure.

I remember the good old days before 2006 when Bay was developing/working on different movies and the discussions among his fans were much more meaningful and interesting. No Bumblebees, no robots. People were visiting the forums for one reason only - Michael Bay. These days though most of the new people here are "Transformers" fans. Not Michael Bay fans.

One year from now I hope to see a post from Bay that says "I'm done with "Transformers". I really am."

I agree completely. It's a shame that "Pain & Gain" is treated like that. It's good that it did well at the US box office, but in terms of the overseas market Paramount f***** up royally. Releasing it in most countries at the same time it comes out on Blu-ray. Seriously, how stupid is that?

Anyway, I really, really hope that after "Transformers 4" Bay moves as far away as possible from this franchise. It really overshadows everything else he's doing. It's time to move on.

This time for real.

If it wasn't for the giant robot movie "Pain & Gain" would've had a great Blu-ray release. I'm sure.

I remember the good old days before 2006 when Bay was developing/working on different movies and the discussions among his fans were much more meaningful and interesting. No Bumblebees, no robots. People were visiting the forums for one reason only - Michael Bay. These days though most of the new people here are "Transformers" fans. Not Michael Bay fans.

One year from now I hope to see a post from Bay that says "I'm done with "Transformers". I really am."
    At least give Transformers credit for introducing people to Michael Bay. I had no idea who he was until I saw Transformers.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    At least give Transformers credit for introducing people to Michael Bay.

I would say "introducing some people to Michael Bay". He was a wildly successful and popular director way before the first "Transformers" movie. That's why as a fan it bugs me when these days he's basically described as "the robot guy".

But there's a flip side to what you said. Yes, because of "Transformers" even more people know who he is, but at the same time because of this franchise he's losing old fans. Kevski's comment is a good indicator. Look how it ends. Don't think he would say that if Bay was making something different and not a fourth movie about giant robots. And because of that movie the little gem called "Pain & Gain" is completely ignored.

I would say "introducing some people to Michael Bay". He was a wildly successful and popular director way before the first "Transformers" movie. That's why as a fan it bugs me when these days he's basically described as "the robot guy".

But there's a flip side to what you said. Yes, because of "Transformers" even more people know who he is, but at the same time because of this franchise he's losing old fans. Kevski's comment is a good indicator. Look how it ends. Don't think he would say that if Bay was making something different and not a fourth movie about giant robots. And because of that movie the little gem called "Pain & Gain" is completely ignored.
    I wouldn't say completely ignored. It got a lot of promotion (a lot more than I thought they'd give it), and it made good bit of money. I'm sure there will be a fully featured release somewhere down the line......

Paramount probably wouldn't have even done this movie at all if he hadn't agreed to come back for another Transformers.

Okay, introduce young people then. I was 14 when I saw it, and a large influx of young people, including myself, showed up after.

I have to admit, I miss some of the old regulars when I joined in 2008. I showed up just in time to meet them.

Speaking of which, your "good old days" post above seems to imply that you were a member pre-2006? I was never on the old forums, but it says next to your post that you joined here in 2009. Was there a long hiatus?

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    Speaking of which, your "good old days" post above seems to imply that you were a member pre-2006?

No, not a member. I was just a reader at the time (I posted on another site though - bayfans.com). As for S4TE, I didn't feel the need to make a profile because it was enough for me to check out the discussions. Right now though these discussions (Bay's style, his influences, his older movies, his 90s commercials...) are a rare sight and the profile gives me the opportunity to make these types of threads.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    I wouldn't say completely ignored. It got a lot of promotion (a lot more than I thought they'd give it), and it made good bit of money.

I was referring to the DVD/Blu-ray situation and the release schedule outside the US. It's like they don't care about that movie and they treat it like a B-flick. And as a result a lot of fans of Bay (especially those outside the US) are rightfully upset. The comments here speak for themselves.

This is new: This is the first film I can see in Blu-ray BEFORE seeing it in theaters.

blu-ray.com has released it's review of the Blu-ray.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Pain-a.../68143/#Review

I practically like this paragraph in the film's review which I fully agree with:

Pain & Gain finds a good bit of success in what amounts to a curious mishmash of styles. The film creates a visual excitement to go along with its story (Michael Bay apparently doesn't know any other kind of way to shoot a movie but, hey, he's great at what he does) but also yields a sometimes uncomfortable sense of humor amidst some pretty dark themes and story elements. Audiences won't know whether to laugh or look away in disgust, at times, but no matter what might be happening there's an unmissable draw to the story as it quickly but very believably spins so far out of control that it defines the old adage about something being so crazy that it can only be real. However, the film never feels disjointed, clumsy, or forced. On the contrary, there's a very strong cohesion to it. Bay's direction -- for as frenetic as it usually is (it only slows down for slow motion accent shots) -- emphasizes the story and builds the characters smartly and distinctively. Even as the picture grows significantly more grim, the characters expand and evolve with a natural progression as their actions and the reactions to their actions take shape and impact their lives.

I haven't noticed any critics speaking of the lack of character development in the film unlike in their reviews for Bay's other films. Which is a good thing because there is clearly character development in Pain & Gain, just as the above review subtly points out.

To the people who has seen it, should I watch at home in Bluray or in theaters? I can do both.