Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pain & Gain Reviews

Default Re: Pain & Gain Reviews

I'm not sure who was the smart ass at Paramount who decided to market this movie as a comedy, because it clearly wasn't, even though it had its moments. It was more of a...um...well, I don't know what it is exactly, and I think that's the beauty of it.

Pain & Gain was fucked up, and I mean that in a good way. I think it's one of those movies that has every reason to divide critics and audiences, as if that were the plan all along. It's not afraid to admit where they took artistic liberties, as shown in the epilogue. I wish more "based on a true story" films would do that. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that this film will one day get a good second look through an academic lens. It'll go down as one of those genre-busting movies that put critics an audiences to the test when it was released back in 2013.

Just saw it (FUCK the delay across europe).

Its awesome. Michael Bay probably really is the best director currently alive.

Just watched this last night....

Not sure how I feel about it. It was just an all around weird movie to me. It had some good parts (The Rock was pretty great), but overall, not my favorite Bay movie.

After reading the actual story it's based on, I wonder why he wanted to make this movie so bad.

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    After reading the actual story it's based on, I wonder why he wanted to make this movie so bad.

With all due respect you're confusing your own perception (opinion) of the movie with Bay's intentions. He clearly wanted to make an unorthodox movie and based on the reactions so far (some hated it, some loved the hell out of it) he succeeded. The real story is really, really weird and the movie itself is weird. Whether people like that or not, well that's something completely different. And always subjective.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    With all due respect you're confusing your own perception (opinion) of the movie with Bay's intentions. He clearly wanted to make an unorthodox movie and based on the reactions so far (some hated it, some loved the hell out of it) he succeeded. The real story is really, really weird and the movie itself is weird. Whether people like that or not, well that's something completely different. And always subjective.
    .. Me wanting to know what drew him to want to do a film on this story has nothing to do with whether I liked the movie or not.

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    .. Me wanting to know what drew him to want to do a film on this story has nothing to do with whether I liked the movie or not.

I thought by "so bad" you were describing the movie...

Still, you have the answer in my post. Why he wanted to make this movie? He wanted to make an unorthodox movie. It's pretty clear by watching the final result. He's a filmmaker and filmmakers who care about their craft want to be challenged. And the real story gave him the opportunity to make something that's outside his comfort zone. He stated many times that these types of movies don't get made these days exactly because they're not typical studio crowd pleasers.

Hell, if I was a filmmaker that alone^ would be a good reason for me to fight for that movie. So, the man deserves credit for at least trying to do something different. And what better material for that than the Sun Gym gang story...
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

I just finally seen it on redbox... was a little disappointed. I don't really know what I didn't like about the movie, maybe just because it started off pretty slow and ended going about 40mph in a 55 zone. Its hard to complain about the story since it was based on true events so writing up different scenes isn't how to do it... The actors did a great job, the directing was nice, I guess its just the true story itself and how things played off its amazing how they managed to clunk together a successful kidnapping.

True, sometimes a bit slow but the visuals we're freakin great looking though right?!

There was also some kind of text somewhere in the movie like "yup, this is still a true story" is like saying "yup, this crazy stuff really happened" but we'll be the judge of that if it's crazy or not you know.. that didn't really work that well for me i gotta say but i forgot about it really quick so that thought was gone real fast cause of the next things happening.

That scene with Dwayne in the sex shop was crazy lol, i just couldn't believe he was holding that dildo and smacking against the other guys head etc. hahaha was a real *tha f*ck* moment XD that's where you could have put that text down maybe Michael lol

Loved the rest
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...
    I'm a decepticon and my name is _____ All Hail Megatron!

One of Michael's best movies since The Rock. I honestly think you should make more movies like Pain & Gain, I loved it. Congrats on a job well done, sir.