Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pain & Gain Reviews

Default Re: Pain & Gain Reviews

Definitely looks awesome! Gota go see it, grats on all the awesome reviews!!!
    Firefighter, EMT. Chicago. Honored to have been able to be a small part of Transformers Dark of the Moon!! Rock on and Be safe everyone! Jim.

Cool... cool, cool, cool.

The movie already has a rating of 6.9 at IMDb from 400 users. But still there are no reviews which is strange.

I don't think pre-release ratings on IMDB should be trusted at all.

Wow.

I just came back from a sneak preview of the movie, and... Wow. It's unlike any Michael Bay movie that any of us have seen before... It's unlike any movie I've ever seen period. The story is so messed up that I'm still struggling to believe it's true. The actors are incredible and the way that the story is told is so awesome. The cinematography, the editing, the structure of the film are just ridiculously unique.

Michael Bay had directed a truly original film; I'm not sure I can pay it a better compliment than that.

Ed Fuego
    "can you ban people who put other members quotes in their sig? if that is not a tell all sign that a person is going to be annoying i don't know what is."
    - thegreat

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Fuego View Post
    Wow.

I just came back from a sneak preview of the movie, and... Wow. It's unlike any Michael Bay movie that any of us have seen before... It's unlike any movie I've ever seen period. The story is so messed up that I'm still struggling to believe it's true. The actors are incredible and the way that the story is told is so awesome. The cinematography, the editing, the structure of the film are just ridiculously unique.

Michael Bay had directed a truly original film; I'm not sure I can pay it a better compliment than that.

Ed Fuego
    Seems this film is gonna be a milestone in his filmography.

Quote Originally Posted by sora View Post
    Seems this film is gonna be a milestone in his filmography.
    I really think it is.

Ed Fuego
    "can you ban people who put other members quotes in their sig? if that is not a tell all sign that a person is going to be annoying i don't know what is."
    - thegreat

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Brand new "review spots":

"You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

"You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Pain & Gain so far has a rating of 67% at Rotten Tomatoes. We know the site is shit but still it's good to see a "fresh" Bay movie again according to their standarts. The only other "fresh" Bay movie is The Rock. Can't wait to see the movie next Friday!

It's 43% at RT, 45% at MC.

There are reviews still to come from geeky movie sites like slashfilm Collider and AICN. And we know that most of those will be highly positive. Also frankly those are the ones that matter most to me.

Drew McWeeny liked the movie so did JimmyO from JoBlo.

Look what Michael Philips has to say:

" After an hour of "Pain & Gain," it felt more like "Pain & Pain."

I couldn't care less about the stupid hack and his predictable, trying to be, but never really clever puns and jokes. Reminds me why I feel like throwing up every time I see his name or smug grin.

Oh and I wonder what Peter Travers will have to say.

JimmyO's a friend of mine. He and I are both really, really high on it.

And for those wondering, here's my review: http://www.shockya.com/news/2013/04/...-movie-review/

This review is from Sandy Kenyon...not sure how many are from the NYC area... "There's nothing you can gain by watching this much pain. Why would anyone except another idiot want to see a stupid movie about stupid bodybuilders who turn to crime so they can really mess up. Honestly, I couldn't care less about Danny Lugo and his buddies and the fact they were real guys in Miami back in the 90's - jacked on steroids matters even less to me.
    The real crime here is not the kidnapping or the killing. It's wasting the formidable talents of Mark Wahlberg and Anthony Mackie and watching the rock as a cocaine snorting 'Jesus freak' is downright upsetting.
    He must have gotten tired playing the good guy in family pictures and there may be a way to have some fun at the expense of these losers, but director Michael Bay isn't talented enough to do that, so he gives us a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing. The man needs to learn making mayhem is not the same as making movies." I am going to see this movie, and Sandy has been wrong on so many movies before in my opinion. As usual, many critics don't get it. Here's the link http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...ent&id=9081020
    "Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing." Optimus Prime

Thumbs up Re: Pain & Gain Reviews

Just Saw it on Sat.... Loved all the character ranges. I like Ed Harris as the retired cop all the way to a Morally confused Rock. It was a very good film. At some points stuff going on was crazy .... and Bay would remind you that this was still accurate to the true story. The packed theater I was in was loving it. I think people will mis-understand this movie for two reasons its R and not meant for children. ( I unfortunately saw several with their parents) and people's morals will be challenged because they are going to like the three main characters. The true hero is Ed Harris. But like Reservoir Dogs or God Bless America; you are watching this film and rooting for the main characters even though they are doing bad things. A lot of Movie goers do not have the aptitude to understand this and will reject the movie for that alone. I felt this way but understood that Bay was just telling a story and not trying to glorify the three amigos in any way; this is why I found solace in Ed Harris character. If any thing, it was like a R rated three stooges with repercussion.
    Pain and Gain will be a cult classic soon enough.
    "How Come the Decepticons have all the cool shit"

I watched P&G over the weekend and I really liked it. Some parts are so insane and other quite intense. The colors palette of the film was amazing and cinematography is soooo Bay. Over all, the packed theater seemed to really enjoy it, myself included...planning on seeing it again. And if you keep hearing that Dwayne is different in this film, then you're hearing right. He was my favorite character and he really was different from all his past films - very likable too.

In a market which is so over saturated with franchises and fantasy, it was really refreshing to see a movie which was purely story. Little action, but mostly just a insane - fast paced story. There are other purely true life story films out there...but they excel in putting the audience to sleep.

A- for me.

My review is here:

http://www.ottentothecore.com

No major (or minor, really) spoilers, but I do discuss Bay's direction, so there is your warning.

Thanks to r-type for the post title.

Ed Fuego
    - thegreat

Angry Re: Pain & Gain Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Regressor View Post
    Oh and I wonder what Peter Travers will have to say.
    This guy didn't disappoint. How predictable can he be? Just read how his review starts:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Travers
    The four words that can chill this movie critic to the bone are: Directed by Michael Bay. Remember, this is the guy who depicted the attack on Pearl Harbor from the point of view of the bomb. Maybe that's why I wasn't invited to any early screenings of Bay's latest, Pain and Gain. A studio rep informed me that the filmmaker "did not opt for a Rolling Stone review." Ha. Like that's his decision.

So, heading to my local multiplex, I laid down 12 bucks for a ticket. For a second, I worried that Bay might have sent Optimus Prime to the box office on orders to crush me, but that's too Hollywood even for Bay.
    Maybe the reason he wasn't invited is because he has no problem starting the review with a personal attack on the director and using the majority of the text detailing his personal experience and thoughts on same director and barely squeezing something about the movie itself. Newsflash: Rolling Stone reader who pay for the magazine and subsequently pay for movie tickets don't care about how butt-hurt you are. When you write for a big media you should hold some responsibility for wasting valuable text space and people's time with bullshit. Those advanced screening critic go to are a pretty goddamn big privilege and some not only take it for granted but squander it like its nothing, and then still feel entitled to it. How come other critics all around the US were allowed to advanced screenings?

Fuck that guy!!

It reminds me when Arnold White wasn't allowed to the screening of Greenber.

Senior Member Bot of Badassness's Avatar

Just got back from it! I loved it! I'm surprised how accurate it remained to the true story. Can't wait to get the Blu-ray!
    Top 10 Movies of 2016: Hunt for the Wilderpeople, 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, The Conjuring 2, Finding Dory, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Deadpool, Zootopia, The Nice Guys, Me Before You, Lights Out.

Oh yeah one thing I was disappointed with was that since Michael said he was going back to his Bad Boys roots I was hoping there would be an opening credits sequence like the ones that open the two Bad Boys films, sadly that wasn't the case and the credits were saved till the end like Pearl Harbor and Transformers.
    Top 10 Movies of 2016: Hunt for the Wilderpeople, 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, The Conjuring 2, Finding Dory, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Deadpool, Zootopia, The Nice Guys, Me Before You, Lights Out.

Literally just watched it on Blu-Ray will watch it in the cinema in 2 weeks.

I honestly think its Michaels best film, beautifully shot,huge amounts of character development, and wickedly funny. I say this without a hint of irony, and I know it will never happen....but I honestly believe it deserves an Oscar nomination for best film. Bay for best director, and Johnson for best supporting actor!

I'm a huge TF fan, and love those movies, but if this is the direction Michaels film making is going in, then I really hope he leaves the franchise after 4 and explores more stuff like this!

Watched the movie on BRD. Loved it. Did anybody else notice the GI Joe logo in the scene where they're walking into the gun store? I thought it was a nice touch. LoL

I love the casting, except for the Rock (I just think he's overused -- he's practically in every action movie these days [GI Joe, Fast and the Furious, you name it] -- makes his presence in action movies kind of a commodity and takes away the magic touch).

Overall a good movie!

I had to write a film review for a competition here in NZ, I decided to do mine on Pain & Gain. I'll paste it here just in case anyone is interested in reading. Please excuse the crude ending.

Pain & Gain is Michael Bay's bizarre passion project. Upon reading that, you would probably start thinking about all the action sequences that Bay has directed over his career. But understand this: this is not an action movie. There are two very short action sequences in the movie that last no longer than two minutes each. Pain & Gain is strictly a black comedy, which in turn is in vain of Bay's Bad Boys roots.

This is easily one of the most offensive movies I have ever seen, but that is the charm of it! There is something in this to offend everybody; just don't take it too seriously. This is by no means a "feel good" movie but it is a fun movie to watch and very quotable once you've left the cinema.

I read the true story which this is based on when I first found out Bay had been trying to make this movie for many years; that was back in 2009. The true story is a very horrible tale and the film was surprisingly very accurate to it. Of course a few liberties are taken, but the film is easily 95% true story.

So yes, this is a true story that is being told as a black comedy, but don't worry your little heads off. Pain & Gain is a character study of how an idea can become an obsession, how it can change a man, as the movie clearly moves from a lighter first act into far darker depths in its final 30 minutes. The main characters the Sun Gym Gang feel like normal people from the start of the movie, but they never start off as likable. Yes, they are the main characters, but no sympathy is felt for them. This may be a black comedy, but it is very black, it takes the Sun Gym Gang's crimes very seriously and respects the victims.

Pain & Gain is a modern-day art house movie, aided by its low budget. I think it is Bay's best directed film; the script is electrifying and features heavy character development, the acting is at its finest, especially Dwayne Johnson who puts on the best performance of his career. Steve Jablonsky's score is also electrifying and feels vibrant as it delves into the depths of the criminal underworld and the bodybuilding lifestyle. The editing is slick and the movie moves at a fast pace.

It's late August 2013 and Pain & Gain is currently my favourite movie of the year. For fans of the true story, go see it but keep your expectations low, blood wise. The film remains largely gore free. For Michael Bay fans, go see it and enjoy another visual masterpiece that despite the lack of action still features many Bay conventions we've come to know and love. For the general public, keep the kids at home and go see it; just go in with an open mind and don't take everything too seriously, but still remember that this is a true story. For the critics, forget everything you know of Bay and go in with your mind as open as a stripper's legs. If you don't enjoy this concoction from one of the greatest modern day visionaries then you clearly have the critical STD of bias and boredom.