Thread: 'Pain & Gain: The Untold True Story' and 'Pain & Gain: How I Survived and Triumphed'

Default 'Pain & Gain: The Untold True Story' and 'Pain & Gain: How I Survived and Triumphed'

I'm not sure how long these books have been out but I'm assuming they were released recently. Anyway, it seems like P&G real-life victim Marc Schiller has released not one but two books on the events in what seems to be an effort to cash in on his fifteen minutes of fame.

I'd like to preface this by saying that yes, the events were terrible. I know that there have been families express their displeasure with the film's premise, but I also believe that enough has been changed and enough time has passed for this movie to be able to come to life.

Even though he was a key victim in the case, there are a few reasons I do not support Schiller's arguments against the film.

I do recall that Schiller was also sentenced for criminal activity as well.

Today he continues to be a very successful businessman and entrepreneur. Which is why I have a hard time swallowing his new books, conveniently coming to light around the film's release and riding on its publicity.

I find it ironic that there are Schiller sympathizers that find the apparent "sympathizing of Lugo and the gang" offensive because of their criminal past.

Also, for such a strong advocate against the film, Schiller seems to be pretty excited about the film, making note of it in his movie maker edited video (that gives him quite a bit of credit and name time I might add) and even using quotes from Bay and The Rock on the side of the page to add hype to the story.

So what do you think? Honest true story or cash grab sympathy plee?

You can check out the books here:
    http://www.painandgainthebook.com/

(Fun fact: TV's Judge Alex Ferrer of "Judge Alex" saw both the cases of The Sun Gym Gang and Schiller. Do you think he could make a guest appearance in the film?)

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Default Re: 'Pain & Gain: The Untold True Story' and 'Pain & Gain: How I Survived and Triumph

He needs to sell more books so he takes advantage of the situation. He's basically saying "The movie's not accurate, go buy my books for the real story". It's actually a predictable behavior so it's not really a big deal. No wonder there's no public response from Bay and Co.

Anyway, speaking of Alex Ferrer, here's his take on the situation. Brand new video:

"You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Wouw.. so the audience will feel really sorry for these criminals?
    Cause i thought i was gonna laugh at these characters in the movie..."Lets go camping" lol... if i we're the victims family i would be glad that Hollywood is giving the victims some recognition before the flame goes out cause frankley these criminals don't earn the right to have a serious movie simular to "no country for old men" reconstruction of how they dismembered these victims.. unless the families want to see that of course..? That would be pretty disturbing right..?
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...
    I'm a decepticon and my name is _____ All Hail Megatron!

Default Re: 'Pain & Gain: The Untold True Story' and 'Pain & Gain: How I Survived and Triumph

How can anyone who's actually seen the film consider the portrayal of the criminals to be "sympathetic?"

Every member of the gang comes off as sad and pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    He needs to sell more books so he takes advantage of the situation. He's basically saying "The movie's not accurate, go buy my books for the real story". It's actually a predictable behavior so it's not really a big deal. No wonder there's no public response from Bay and Co.

Anyway, speaking of Alex Ferrer, here's his take on the situation. Brand new video:

"Wanna know the truth? Buy my book! Buy my book! Before its too late people!"

Sound familiar? Haha.

And since it was brought up in this thread, the only character I found any sympathy for was Paul, the fictional mash up of multiple characters. Mackie was funny but I was indifferent about his fate and Lugo, well, I started the film liking him, but ended up despising him by the end of the film, the way it should have been.