Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

Default Re: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

Tokyo!

Michel Gondry, Leos Carax, Bong Joon Ho's omnibus film about Tokyo.
    I really liked Leos & Bong's episodes.

Default Re: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

The Trials of Cate Mccall starring Kate Beckinsale

Is a good movie. It's really slow though as it's a 'dialogue' movie where words instead of actions take the huge chunk out of the film. Almost feels boring, but had a nice twist to it. So overall is a good movie.

I just got season 1 of Beware the Batman in Russian dub. Watched the 1st episode and it was good.

Frozen

Great movie! I guess I underestimated the sheer among of music in this one. On the plus side, it had a bit of a Broadway flare to it.

Speaking of which, I'm calling it right now: Disney is going to adapt this into a Broadway musical like they did with The Lion King. There's no way they'd pass an opportunity like that. Just you wait.

(I could be dead wrong.)

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    Frozen

Great movie! I guess I underestimated the sheer among of music in this one. On the plus side, it had a bit of a Broadway flare to it.

Speaking of which, I'm calling it right now: Disney is going to adapt this into a Broadway musical like they did with The Lion King. There's no way they'd pass an opportunity like that. Just you wait.

(I could be dead wrong.)
    Well shit, it was announced in January.

Never mind then.

The Silence of the Lambs - "...."
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

A Good Day to Die Hard... Awful.

The Bourne Legacy... Not bad, not great.

The Butler... Terrific movie; great performances.

Frozen... Very good.

The LEGO Movie... AWE. SOME.

Ed Fuego
    "can you ban people who put other members quotes in their sig? if that is not a tell all sign that a person is going to be annoying i don't know what is."
    - thegreat

Non-Stop - Mediocre action film with a cliche plot, but Liam Neeson is badass nonetheless.
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

Devil's Due

Is an okay horror flick.

Downside: Lack of originality.

Upside: The girl pulled it off pretty well. She was -- spoiler ahead -- pretty spooky when she changed.

Need for Speed

Finally got to see this when I had a long lunch break this noon.

This was seriously way better than what I was expecting. Of course I had a feeling this was going to be a rip off of F&F, but was surprised at how good it was.

How the movie focused on Muscle Cars gave it its own identity. Then the progression to Hyper Cars, again gave us something that sets it apart from the F&F franchise. I didn't feel like I was watching an F&F bootleg! This movie was awesome and actually has potential for sequels.

Racing scenes in NFS were intense and the actions were race-centric -- something we haven't seen from F&F since Tokyo Drift!

Overall I'm satisfied with Need for Speed! Great work! I hope they stick to muscle cars and hyper cars again if they plan to do sequels. Leave tuner cars to F&F. Both franchises should have different identities and should keep it that way.

PS: Loved the final race. It's like the NFS game. And the slowmo vision thing... its a nice throwback to the game!

PARANOIA

Probably not that new but I should say is a good pastime movie. Why it's only good and not great is because it's pretty predictable. I kinda guessed what was gonna happen and all the twist long before mid way point of the movie. But like I said it's not a bad movie. It's a balanced good movie. It had it's moments of good suspense and all that.

I just got home from watching Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Just as I mentioned in the Captain America: The Winter Soldier thread I started. But this time I wanna give a more detailed review, because this movie really deserves it.

Some of the action scenes, particularly the one in the beginning, reminded me of the Dark Knight. Except that this was not dark because it’s Cap. But there were a lot of tactical and hand-to-hand combat scenes that’s kind of like what Batman does in his movies.

In spite of being, or supposedly being a Cap “solo” movie, Cap had like the Avengers B-team (namely Nick Fury, Black Widow, the Falcon and Maria Hill) working with him throughout this movie. And they also have their dedicated action scenes each. So in a sense it didn’t feel like a solo movie like the first Cap movie. Instead it felt like this was a different version of the Avengers movie, because you know it’s a Team movie. It’s not exactly a bad thing. I’m just saying the whole thing didn’t feel enough like a Cap solo movie.

Now speaking of the Falcon… “Hey DC, this is how Hawkman should be done!” Again we see Marvel leading the way here. Constantly schooling DC on how it’s done. And also …SPOILER… Quicksilver was in the end credits scene. This is Marvel’s way of showing how to introduce a “Speedster” in the modern times – and we know one of DC’s problems is that they’ve always had this constipation thing coming up with Flash in modern times!

The Winter Soldier was cool. And I loved the score when he’s around. He felt like a WWE wrestler with the hairdo and the mask on. SPOILER AHEAD… and just as I expected he survived and walked away in the end. Maybe he just needed some time to think and come back only to become a hero someday (Just like in the comic books).

Cap played a charismatic role as usual. Overall a great movie.

You're Next

So and so gore movie. Wait its not even gore its like tomato sauce in some scenes. Lol

Blood Ties starring Clive Owen

Was such a nice movie. Really, really loved it. Fantastic.

Recommended.

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

"The Secret Life of Walter Mitty"

Poster.jpg

In my book it's easily one of the best movies of 2013. Engaging story, beautiful soundtrack, score, cinematography, likeable characters and truly exceptional landscapes. And last but not least - Stiller was really, really good as Mitty (a nice break from his usual slapstick roles). A touching, elegant, thought-provoking movie for people of all ages.

Highly recommended.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Nebraska. Low key movie for sure, so make certain you're in the right mood. But if you're familiar with the Midwest and Midwesterners, the movie is spot-on in capturing the look and feel of the region. Bruce Dern fits the lead role like a glove: a bigger star would have been all wrong.

It's also funny to imagine Bay looking like Dern 15-20 years from now. Young Dern bore a slight resemblance to Mike, especially the eyes.

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by dnn View Post
    It's also funny to imagine Bay looking like Dern 15-20 years from now. Young Dern bore a slight resemblance to Mike, especially the eyes.

Was thinking the exact same thing while I was watching "The 'Burbs" a few days ago. In that movie Dern looks exactly like Bay.

Truly an uncanny resemblance:

Bruce Dern - The Burbs.jpg
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

War of the Worlds: Goliath. A cheesy little animated steampunk (though it seemed more like dieselpunk to me) movie that's meant to be a sequel to H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds. It's not very great, though I did dig the tripod designs, both human and martian.

Noah. Great movie! I especially dug the Watchers. And to those who want to stir up some religious controversy, it's only a movie, guys. Yes, artistic liberties were taken, but the overall moral of the story was 100% intact and even expanded upon.

Island of Lost Souls. Based on another H.G. Wells classic, The Island of Doctor Moreau. This one was actually great and pretty haunting movie. Recommended you find the Criterion version.

Mr. Hulot's Holiday (1953)

Jacques Tati made some of the greatest comedy films. This is one of them.

Watching Home Alone 3 again, but this time dubbed in Asian on TV. I'm surprised at how young Scarlett Johansson was.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Fantastic! Best of Phase 2 so far!

Captain America: The Return of the First Avenger. Now you are probably wondering that what version of the movie have I been watching. Well, It was Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but some dumb idiot at Disney decided that they can't have the word Soldier on a Disney movie in a nice country like Sweden. Or some shit like that. Why they changed an English title to another more lame ass title is beyond me. That "The Return" shit is the lamest title a Marvel movie has ever had.

So now to the movie. It was very good. The story was good and what I liked is that they didn't show the whole story in the trailers for the movie. Visual effects and the action scenes are very good, but it looked that the 3D was barely visible just like in the first one. I don't know if I have got used to the whole 3D thing, but I haven't seen awesome 3D since I saw Star Trek Into Darkness at the movies and that one was totally post converted to 3D.
    The movie has a bit like The Avengers feeling to it, cause Captain America has backup in the form of Black Widow and a new guy called Falcon.
    There are two bonus scenes after the credits start to roll. The first one sets up either for Captain America 3 or maybe The Avengers 2. The second scene is totally unnecessary since you already see at the end of the movie that The Winter Soldier walks away.
    My bet is that the third movie will be called Captain America: The Return of the Winter Soldier and then Disney will be like, hey didn't we call the last one for that? Then they wonder what the hell are they gonna call the third movie in Sweden and the same dumb idiot who came up with that "The Return" shit comes up with the brilliant idea to call the third one for Captain America: The Second Return of the First Avenger!! (Facepalm!!)
    I liked Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but I wasn't all hyped when walking out of the theater and will give it a strong 3 out of 5 points.
    I'll get it on Blu-ray someday, but not the day it's released.

Iron Man 3 Prelude

Not a movie per se, but the official comics that ties to the movie. Highly recommended companion material to both Iron Man 3 and the Avengers movie! So you see why I made this review.

Rather than focus on Iron Man, the comic focuses on War Machine -- what he was doing and where he was when Iron Man was busy fighting the aliens with the Avengers in New York. It answers a lot of questions. Normally prelude comic books are boring and are only marketing to draw you to watch the movies that they tie into. But not this one. This one can stand on its own even if you do not watch the movies because it focuses on War Machine. Fast paced and action packed for the man in the grey armor! War Machine fans listen up!

STOKER - Nicole Kidman

Twisted, unexciting.

The Monkey King: The Legend Begins - Donnie Yen, Chow Yun Fat, Aaron Kwok

Incredible! By far the best Monkey King film adaptation!! If you love the legend, you'd love this even more!!

I watched the original Chinese language, but it is now also available in international English dub. Official web site and trailer for the international version is here - themonkeykingmovie.com