Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

Default Re: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Just finished watching BLACK HAWK DOWN again. War movies never get tiring.

And I'm almost finished with the Graphic Novel adaptation of THE STAND by Stephen King. I know that there was a movie/tv series adaptation of it but never really got to watch it. I think the Graphic Novel adaptation is better because there's just so much that's up to your imagination. I give Two Thumbs Up to THE STAND!
    Oh yes The Stand is one of my favorite King books and the graphic novel adaptation is excellent no doubt, i also dig the mini-series.

I can't wait for the big budget re-adaptation of the book.

They should do graphic novels out of Carrie, Cujo, Pet Sematary, The Shining and so much more

Default Re: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

The Lego Movie - This movie was great!! Not just for young kids, but everyone can enjoy it. There were some subtle adult jokes that snuck in there. The plot was well rounded and there was plenty of Batman! If you liked Wreck-it-Ralph then you'll like this movie. I give it a 9/10.
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

POLICE STORY 2013 starring Jackie Chan (NOT to be confused with NEW POLICE STORY also starring Jackie Chan but was a 2004 movie)

I have to say it's nice to see Jackie age well and still do action movies, just like Arnold or Silvester.

The thing that's respectable about Jackie's movies is that it doesn't matter if the story is great or not. It's the fact the he doesn't use doubles and does all the stunts himself. It's pretty admirable. The scenery in this film is also very nice.

Also I've been noticing more and more European car companies sponsoring Chinese movies, replacing the usual Japanese cars traditionally in Chinese films. Like for example this movie was sponsored by Volkswagen. And it's a nice change to see Jackie drive a Volkswagen SUV from the usual Mitsubishi SUVs that we're so used to see him drive in his past movies.

The Lego Movie. I didn't fall in the isle dying of laughter like I was led to believe I would, but there were some pretty funny parts. Good movie, but very slightly over hyped.

Finally got to watch ENDER'S GAME. What an incredible movie. Just incredible.

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

"Deep Impact"

First viewing on Blu-ray.

Sure, it's not as popular and successful as "Armageddon", but it's still a pretty good movie. In my opinion of course. Very intense and powerful. And after seeing it again I'm now confident that Mimi Leder is the female version of Michael Bay.

Honestly, she would be perfect for the next "Transformers" movie. She sure knows how to create "big sequences":

"You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Robocop (2014)

RoboCop - Really enjoyed the movie. I made one major mistake as always - I watched all TV spots and clips for the movie and pretty much I knew all the action sequences. Nevertheless the movie had an emotional impact on me. I liked the actors' performances and the director's style is really distinct. Although the script had some values, it was the weak spot of the movie. It could have been much better. I enjoyed hearing again the main theme and some of the iconic phrases and loved his final suit.

P.S. Oh, and Joel Kinnaman was pretty good.

THE ART OF THE STEAL (2013) starring Kurt Russell

A so and so film

Robocop (2014) I had pretty low expectations of the movie after seeing the trailers that made me think it's going to suck. Well, my expectations was right on the money. The movie is not a remake, but more of a parody to Paul Verhoeven's original from 1987. It's like an f as in fail wannabe version of Iron Man. He runs like Usain Bolt and jumps 3 meter walls without any problems. Then his suit gets disassembled under the floor just like in Iron Man and then we get to see what's left of Murphy's body and the whole scene is just ridiculous. It's a typical PG-13 movie with a 100 guys getting shot and not a single drop of blood is shown. Actually there is just one scene at the very end where you can see blood on the ground. Joel Kinnaman is just like in every movie I've seen him in. The same face expression through out the movie all the time. The only good thing in the movie is the CGI robots and that they used the original soundtrack two times and that the movie takes place in Detroit and that they talked about the Detroit Red Wings. Those are the reasons why I'll give it two out of five points. Definitely not a Blu-ray buy!

Quote Originally Posted by frolunda71 View Post
    Robocop (2014) I had pretty low expectations of the movie after seeing the trailers that made me think it's going to suck. Well, my expectations was right on the money. The movie is not a remake, but more of a parody to Paul Verhoeven's original from 1987. It's like an f as in fail wannabe version of Iron Man. He runs like Usain Bolt and jumps 3 meter walls without any problems. Then his suit gets disassembled under the floor just like in Iron Man and then we get to see what's left of Murphy's body and the whole scene is just ridiculous. It's a typical PG-13 movie with a 100 guys getting shot and not a single drop of blood is shown. Actually there is just one scene at the very end where you can see blood on the ground. Joel Kinnaman is just like in every movie I've seen him in. The same face expression through out the movie all the time. The only good thing in the movie is the CGI robots and that they used the original soundtrack two times and that the movie takes place in Detroit and that they talked about the Detroit Red Wings. Those are the reasons why I'll give it two out of five points. Definitely not a Blu-ray buy!

did they have those funny little commercials during the movie?

Quote Originally Posted by CesarCardoso View Post
    did they have those funny little commercials during the movie?
    No they didn't. They only used the main soundtrack theme two times and a couple of lines from the original movie. It's not even close as good as the original!! Robocop is a lot more high tech in this one and uses a kind of Robobike which is like a kind of Batbike to drive around.
    I'm pleased that I only got to pay half price for the ticket with my discount card that I have to the movie theater, cause it sure ain't worth paying full price to see that movie. Highly doubt that they will make a sequel. But then again I didn't think that they would make a sequel to G.I. Joe which was a total disaster, but look what happened...

Riddick
    Ender's Game
    Les Miserables

Robocop. It was a lot better than I expected. That fact that it is not just a straight reboot is the best thing about it. I hope people give it a chance.

Metropolis (1927)

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

"Haunter"

Poster.jpg

Now that was a great, great surprise for me. Really spooky and really engaging ghost story. Quick advice for those who still haven't seen it - in order to really enjoy the movie avoid the trailers and avoid the official synopsis. They kinda spoil some of the good parts.

So, if you're in the mood for a nice little ghost story don't even think about it - watch "Haunter".
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

The Lone Survivor. It's an OK movie. It's based on real events that happened in Afghanistan. Mark Wahlberg and the rest of the crew act totally OK and the action is there too, even when you know how the movie is gonna end. The title kinda says it all. The only thing I have a hard time to swallow is the amount beating Wahlberg and his buddies take in the movie and still keep on fighting. The SEAL's are among the best trained people in the whole world, but they are still humans of flesh and blood. So falling down two cliff faces, being shot in the foot, legs and arms and still be able to shoot back and move and fight seems pretty unrealistic to me. So I'll give it a 3 out of 5 points. Not a Blu-ray buy in my case.

American Hustle. After seeing the trailer, I thought that it probably would be a cool movie, but the title says it all. You get hustled to believe it's a good movie, but find out pretty fast that it's not. The acting is very good, but the story somehow doesn't go anywhere and it feels like a very slow movie with no action and nothing that gets you going. I thought that it might be fighting with The Wolf of Wall Street at the Oscars with it's 10 nominations, but it's nowhere near as good as Wolf is! How the movie got 10 nominations is beyond me. I'll give it only 2 out of 5 points. The acting is very good, but the story and the pace just doesn't go anywhere. Not gonna get it on Blu-ray.

A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

All were fantastic, but I think The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly stood out for me the most. Apart from being an awesome spaghetti western, it was just a beautiful freakin' film.

Non-Stop. I thought it was very entertaining. It kinda got silly at the very end, but it's still very much worth seeing, because well, Liam Neeson obviously...

300: Rise of an Empire 3D. This is the first movie that I've seen that is a prequel, same time and a sequel all at once! A presamequel?
    Needles to say that the blood flows in this one like in the gallons and most of it is CG blood. It's like the original 300, but it gets a bit strange when the story happens at the same time as the original 300 story, but Lena Headey looks older in this one compared to the original movie. Then the hunchback doesn't look the same either. Sullivan Stapleton is totally OK in this one, but he ain't no Gerald Butler. 3D is average and then the music is a lot louder in this one compared to the original 300. An OK movie if you don't have anything else to watch at the movies. 3 out of 5 points.

Spring Breakers

Fascinating ecstasy about distorted american dream & metastasis of evilness.

Alpha Alert aka Event 15 (original title)

Is a garbage movie

Wicked Blood starring Abigail Breslin and co-starring Sean Bean

Is a good enjoyable movie

300 ROAE is a great movie.

It's also a very smart sequel as it spares itself of having to make leaps forward in terms of the story development, because this is basically part 1 except that we're watching the story from the naval aspect of the war.

Finished a class about Alfred Hitchcock at my university. We watched almost all his films:

The Lodger
    Blackmail
    The 39 Steps
    The Lady Vanishes
    Rebecca
    Shadow of a Doubt
    Notorious
    Rope
    Strangers on a Train
    Rear Window
    Dial M for Murder
    Vertigo
    North by Northwest
    Psycho
    The Birds
    Marnie
    Frenzy

I really didn't think I would ever enjoy watching old films from the late 20s up to the 50s but after viewing much of Hitchcock's work, I have developed a liking to them.
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

Need for Speed 3D. It's an OK movie, but a bit too long. Race scenes are awesome shot and the sound is really good when they race with the sound of the engines and everything. So if you compare to The Fast and the Furious, it's not the same at all. Need for Speed has longer races and the cars are ordinary luxury street cars without any NOS systems like they have in F & F. Aaron Paul and his crew are OK, but I think Paul Walker and Vin Diesel are better in The Fast and the Furious. 3D is OK, but it doesn't give a wow feeling at all, so you can might as well see it in regular 2D and save a couple of bucks. Overall an OK action movie with a couple of good laugh scenes and cool race scenes. I'll give it a 3 out of 5. But I don't think I'm gonna get it on Blu-ray.