Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

Default Re: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

Quote Originally Posted by swishbig View Post
    Captain Phillips - Such an intense movie! A must see and definitely will be nominated for best picture at the Oscars.
    Agreed. One of the really good movies I've watched not so long ago. Shows how green and inexperienced those pirates were messing with the US Navy. You don't mess with the US Navy unless you are equally trained and/or equipped.

On another note I just watched The Dark Knight Rises again on HBO. It's still electric to watch!

Default Re: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

Ahhhhhhhh nothing could be worse than this crap fest of a Hong Kong movie entitled Switch starring Hong Kong superstar Andy Lau!!

I didn't even finish half of it! It was utter garbage. I ended up opening a bottle of vodka instead to spend the night with. Ahhh so much better! When the alcohol kicks in the system the feeling is incomparable! Fantastic! Haha!

Cheers!

HOURS starring Paul Walker

First of all this movie was totally fantastic. This was a really great movie. And this was Paul Walker's last movie (F&F7 doesn't count coz he didn't even finish filming that one). So HOURS was the last movie that he did finish filming and it came out in the cinemas around here about a month ago. I only got to watch it tonight, and you know what? -- this was really a fitting last movie for Paul Walker -- no not that anyone of us wanted Paul to die -- I'm saying I could not imagine a better last movie for him than this. You wanna know why? You gotta watch it. Coz this film is just totally Paul-centric. Great acting and great movie. Paul Walker will truly be missed.

Lone Survivor starring Mark Wahlberg

Wow. Incredible movie. Mark always fit these roles well. I really enjoyed it!

Freezer and Gravity

The former is about a guy locked up in a meat freezer while the latter is about a gal locked up in space. Both are okay movies. Nuff said.

The Wolf of Wall Street - One of my favorite movies of the year! DiCaprio really did his best in this one! I would be extremely confused if the HFPA doesn't nominate him for an Oscar. It's also my favorite Scorcese film to date! Although it was pretty graphic in terms of adult content, I thought that it gave the movie a unique personality.

Rush - I liked the film, but Daniel Bruhl's character, Niki, was annoying to watch on screen.
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

47 RONIN starring Keanu Reeves -- fantastic movie!

Escape Plan starring Silvester Stallone

It's a stellar movie for the first 75% and then it gets kinda so-and-so for the remaining 25%

Overall not a bad movie.

I finally saw Frozen. It definitely has the Disney element to it. I really enjoyed it and it's probably my second favorite animated film of 2013 next to Monsters U.
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

ALL IS LOST starring Robert Redford

A good survival movie.

The Wolf of Wall Street.
    What a great movie! The best movie Martin Scorsese has made so far in my opinion. It's just money, drugs and sex all the way for three hours and the movie never feels boring! A great story of the rise and fall of a man who used the financial system for all what it was worth. This is the best Leonardo DiCaprio I have ever seen! If he doesn't get an Oscar this year, then he'll never get it during his lifetime!
    It's well worth 4 out of 5 points and it's gonna be a future Blu-ray buy in my case.

Finally saw GRUDGE MATCH

I thought it was a boring movie.

I, Frankenstein. Yes, that movie.

I knew it was going to be a steaming pile of buffalo shit. What I got instead was a steaming pile of elephant shit.

What really saddens me is that Aaron Eckhart has the look and voice to play a fantastic Karloff-esc Frankenstein's monster and we never got that with this film. This movie had absolutely nothing to do with Frankenstein or anything related to it aside from some twenty second backstory. Instead they throw him in the middle of some uninteresting war between demons and gargoyles. I don't WANT to see an Underworld rip-off! I want to see a Frankenstein movie! The name is in the freakin' title!

Having said that, you should see this movie if you want a good laugh. The dialogue alone has to be seen to be believed, because it was absolutely unbelievable. Everyone speaks in exposition in this movie. It's astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by swishbig View Post
    I finally saw Frozen. It definitely has the Disney element to it. I really enjoyed it and it's probably my second favorite animated film of 2013 next to Monsters U.
    Frozen is my number one fave animated movie of 2013 no doubt and saw it 5 times already, it's now one of my favorite Disney animated movies and who else think Elsa is one of the hottest Disney animated chicks this side of Jessica Rabbit and Jasmine?

So after seeing that piece of shit I, Frankenturd movie, I decided to dab into the classic Universal horror flicks that were available to watch on Netflix. I was pissed that Frankenstein (1931) wasn't there, yet Bride of Frankenstein was.

So Dracula (1931) it was. The film hasn't aged too well (that rubber bat, man), but there's one thing about this movie that no matter how cheesy it is today, is still awesome: That scowl. It was an example of vampires were really meant to be monstrous and terrifying, and not all angsty and sympathetic like they are today.

A COMMON MAN starring Ben Kingsley

This movie has won awards, but for me I thought it was really bad for the most part. It was a very low budgeted movie that -- you know, most of the budget went to the big name actor while leaving virtually none for the rest of the film. But this movie did use Ben Kingsley to the fullest, unlike in Iron Man 3 where he turned out to be a total joke and it kind of wasted Ben's acting potential.
    As a movie, a Common Man doesn't do it for me, even though the underlying massage has depth. But as far as Ben Kingsley performance it's actually quite good.

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit. This is a reboot or a restart or re-what ever you like to call it of the Jack Ryan story.
    This movie shows a young Jack Ryan and how he gets to start working with the CIA. A standard action movie where you know what will happen next before it even happens. Barely 3 out of 5 points and the movie gets one of those points just cause Keira Knightley is in the movie. Won't get it on Blu-ray when it's released.

Inside Llewyn Davis

Great consolation for fell behind & tired souls.
    Coen brothers, they are just...wow.

Finally got to see RUSH after everyone else got to see it sometime ago.

Its a very well done movie. I wasn't even born yet in 1976 so I wasn't there when the true to life events the movie was based on happened. But Nikki Lauda was still in F1, albeit as a team manager when I became a fan of the sport.

My only criticism, if its a criticism at all, is the vulgar display of tobacco logos (namely Marlboro) on the cars in the film. I know the original cars had them, and that the movie only wanted to be historically truthful and accurate to the original cars, but to me is not worth all that. Nothing will ever be worth the human health. And this is the reason why tobacco advertisement is banned now in many, many advertising mediums including in F1 and F1 merchandises. I think the Marlboro logos on the movie cars could have been edited out for health ethic reasons. Other than that its a great film.

ESCAPE PLAN, with Stallone and Schwarzenegger. OK action flick, with a really cool performance from Arnold that, IMO, was completely unappreciated by critics and audiences. I'm still hoping that Bay and Arnold will collaborate on something in the near future.

HOMEFRONT starring Jason Statham

I gotta say, this movie has one of the best Jason Statham actions. It just felt very raw which I haven't seen from Statham in a while. Thumbs up!!

American Hustle & Wolf of Wall Street

Philomena. Nice little drama, with touches of humor. Sad story, but not depressing thanks to warm and funny performances from Dench and Coogan. Good movie to see with your spouse or parents.

ROBOCOP (2014)

Just got back from watching this.

Ok...

Let me start with Robocop. Obviously he is now like a Terminator. He is fast, he is agile. And he is more parts machine than ever before (wait till you get to see the scene where he's in the lab and you'll go OMG)! His helmet now works like that of Iron Man's. It feeds him with whatever information he wants to know (via online function), it serves as a communicator, and of course it marks his targets 'red' and so on. You get it. So he's like Iron Man X Terminator. Not exactly very original, but its one of those things you learn to appreciate eventually and find justifiable, especially if you're a Robocop fan.

His bike (especially designed for him) has some sort of auto-pilot mechanism, because it allowed him to perform multitasking while riding. So it was like a Batmobile, except on two-wheels. So now he's like Iron Man X Terminator X Batman. Not exactly a bad thing, but it's not something new. And I don't know if this can spoil it a bit, but am quite disappointed that after he became Robocop he doesn't have any other ride other than the 'Robobike.'

Now the casting is great. I never imagined that Batman, Nick Fury, and Commissioner Gordon would be working together in one film. Sam Jackson was really funny in some scenes. Because many of these are veteran actors, they pulled it off really well. Except for the guy who played Robocop, which I find a bit strange when he's not Robocop.

What ruined this movie was the trailer. It gave away too much. You'll know what I mean when you watch the movie. And then there's this thing that they didn't leave enough room for a sequel. But in spite of that the action was great and effects fantastic.

Just finished watching BLACK HAWK DOWN again. War movies never get tiring.

And I'm almost finished with the Graphic Novel adaptation of THE STAND by Stephen King. I know that there was a movie/tv series adaptation of it but never really got to watch it. I think the Graphic Novel adaptation is better because there's just so much that's up to your imagination. I give Two Thumbs Up to THE STAND!