Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

Default Re: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

Oblivion and Now You See Me were also good I should add.

Default Re: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

Dragon Ball Z: War of Gods (or whatever you would translate it) is a good movie. Been a long time since the last DBZ. This is more like a 'reunion' film.

And listen, I just finished season 1 and 2 of Game of Thrones. I know I'm way behind, but I haven't really had time to follow it on TV (time conflict with my work). Looking forward to season 3 once I complete the episodes! Great show!

Gravity in IMAX 3D. It's pretty much as good as everyone says it is.

There were some unbelievably tense parts in it.

Metallica: Through the Never 3D. Just an awesome concert movie shot with awesome 3D right up there in the same class as Avatar, Prometheus and TF3!! Really cool that you get just up right and personal with the band on stage and then there's the story with Dane DeHaan. The story has a nice twist though.
    Needles to say, this movie has the best soundtrack in movie history! Master, Enter Sandman, Ride the Lightning, Memory Remains, One and etc. etc.
    I'm so buying this when it's released on Blu-ray!!!!
    If you are a Metallica fan, you don't wanna miss it!!!

Blue Jasmine

Another great work from Woody 'the master' Allen.
    Cate Blanchett, what a magnificent actress.

Blind Detective (Hong Kong movie)

Gravity

This film was phenomenal! It really does deserve the high praise and ratings that the reviews give it. It was really realistic, and the only true way to watch this movie and get ALL of your money's worth is in IMAX 3D. Seriously, this is probably the best 3D I have ever seen. The only downside of it is that the 3D does tend to make some parts/scenes blurrier as opposed to watching it in 2D with RPX or some form of higher definition theater screening. I'm most likely going to see this movie one more time in 3D and then another time in 2D just to compare.
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

World War Z - I haven't read the book but the movie was too ordinary. Nothing unexpected hapenned. And the end was underwhelming.

Fast and Furious 6 - Much worse than Fast 5. Awful story.

Now You See Me - Fantastic movie! Very dynamic and interesting story with lots of twists.

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post

Fast and Furious 6 - Much worse than Fast 5. Awful story.
    Hahaha, it's ve-hi-cu-lar warfare!

I liked it when I watched it in the theaters. Dunno if it was really good or it was just the overall 'hype' that made me feel it was good. They premiered here, and Vin Diesel gave one of the stupidest interviews ever. It's like the reporter was asking him how part 6 was different from part 5 and he answered by saying "Part 6 is different from part 5 because this is the 6th installment, and part 5 was the 5th installment" or something along those lines. Duh! Any normal person would know that the reporter was asking him how part 6 is different to 5 in terms of story and action.

Gravity. I think we have our Best Visual Effects Oscar winner of the year, along with many other awards. That was one mind-blowing hour and a half of cinematic gold.

So, I saw Gravity. It was OK, but overhyped. Also, doesn't it piss you all off, that the critics are saying it's a visual masterpiece, but the plot and character development was meh, and still rave about the movie, but if it was directed by Michael Bay, you know they would have trashed the hell out of it.

Rush - Ron Howard made a masterpiece! I'm a big F1 fan and it was icredible to see one of the most amamzing true stories in F1 on the big screen. The 70's are made to look so believeble that it makes you want to live in that age. Even if you're not a F1 fan go and see that movie it's really amazing. You won't even believe that it's actually a true story. Also whatever people think Chris Hemsworth is a damn good actor...

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    Rush - Ron Howard made a masterpiece! I'm a big F1 fan and it was icredible to see one of the most amamzing true stories in F1 on the big screen. The 70's are made to look so believeble that it makes you want to live in that age. Even if you're not a F1 fan go and see that movie it's really amazing. You won't even believe that it's actually a true story. Also whatever people think Chris Hemsworth is a damn good actor...
    Haven't watched it yet, but was very intrigued when I saw the poster and the synopsis.

I used to be an F1 fan too... that was until I grew older and realized how much the sport as a whole was/is shrouded in politics.

The Japanese at one point (Honda) were winning the championships in F1 because the Japanese were/are good in the area of Turbo development. So the F1 commission decided to ban Turbo from F1. And slowly we saw Honda lose championships, until the Japanese firm left F1.

We saw Juan Pablo Montoya (an American-Colombian) race for BMW Williams team in F1 and he regularly outclassed his German teammate Ralf Schumacher (yes the younger brother of F1 legend Michael Schumacher). What did the BMW team do? They still decided to give Ralf the number 1 status of the two drivers in the team. What did Juan Pablo do? He moved to the US to race NASCAR in the end, and according to him "NASCAR felt so much better!"

What happened to all the Asian and non-white drivers in F1? There used to be many. Where are they now? Right now there's only Lewis Hamilton who is a Black Brit. And every time he attends a race there would be some racist comments from some of the crowds watching. At one event there was even a group in the crowd who painted their faces black (as an insult to the Black driver).

Now we see white cars, white drivers, white teams. And it's getting old. But then the automobile industry suffered a huge loss. So now what did the F1 commission decide to do? They decided to invite Honda back into the championship as an added investor. So we may start to see Honda in F1 again maybe starting next year, if not the year after next. What else did they decide to do? They realized that there should be more Asian race tracks in the F1 championship. So now there's China, Malaysia, Singapore, India, and even Korea too. But actually, before the automobile industry suffered losses, F1 did not even bother to be so Asia-centric. In fact, back then they would make 'moves' to exclude anything that is Asian (Asian cars, Asian drivers, or whatever).

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    We saw Juan Pablo Montoya (an American-Colombian) race for BMW Williams team in F1 and he regularly outclassed his German teammate Ralf Schumacher (yes the younger brother of F1 legend Michael Schumacher). What did the BMW team do? They still decided to give Ralf the number 1 status of the two drivers in the team. What did Juan Pablo do? He moved to the US to race NASCAR in the end, and according to him "NASCAR felt so much better!".
    Well, the Montoya thing was just the obvious thing to do for BMW-Williams. First of all Ralf Schumacher is a Schumacher (that means higher sponsor income), and then Montoya was too kamikaze to be a 1st pilot. He wasn't reliable at all, really fun to watch, but with a great tendency to break cars and cause crashes.

The Japanese at one point (Honda) were winning the championships in F1 because the Japanese were/are good in the area of Turbo development. So the F1 commission decided to ban Turbo from F1. And slowly we saw Honda lose championships, until the Japanese firm left F1.
    The turbo engines are back from next year.

@ alexsm
    Montoya was fighting for the world championship a couple of times (against Michale Schumacher). Ralf never did (in fact not even close in the world standings).

It's not like Juan Pablo was 2nd place and Ralf 3rd place in the world standings that it's a close to call. It was more like Juan Pablo was 2nd place in the world standings (behind Michael Schumacher) and Ralf was way down in 6th or 8th or something. And Ralf always got the number one status in the team. It's a blatant robbery. Or to put it more bluntly, Juan Pablo "we're sorry it's just that you're born brown" kinda thing.

This type of politics don't work in American Sports. Well I mean of course there's also politics in American sports to some degree, but not so racially blatant.
    I mean we turn on American Sports on TV and we see Blacks and Hispanics and Asians dominating NBA, MLB, NFL, Boxing, MMA, IRL, NASCAR... you name it! And we are seeing great athletes praised and excel for their skills and hard work regardless of ethnicity.

You can't argue that BMW is a German team so they need a German driver for big sponsorship deals. For something sustainable, a team has to have a World Champion driver regardless of his ethnicity to EARN big sponsors. Look what happened to Ralf and BMW -- It didn't take long before they ended their relationship. When a driver is not winning or getting anywhere close to fighting for the world championship, the team eventually gets tired and so too the sponsors (even when he's German).

I mean Ferrari is Italian but Michael Schumacher's German. And yet they earned big results together. Ferrari don't need an Italian driver to get the job done just because they're an Italian company. Their sponsors swooping in left and right.

@Alber

Well because they want Honda back in F1. They need more investors because it's not doing so well (the sport that is). So the Turbo thing is something to entice Honda to come back into F1. Watching F1 is like watching a bigger kid bully smaller kids. But then one day this big bully suffers financial crisis so he pretends to be nice to the smaller kids again. How convenient!

Lone Ranger - I thought it was funny. Not as bad as I expected from the comments.

Gravity - Exceptional cinematography and CG. I doubt that people realize how much of the movie was CG...
    And still that movie wasn't my thing.

By the way now I see that in my theater there are screenings of Gravity and Avatar in 4DX. Never knew you could see a full movie in 4D. Especially with Avatar's 162 minutes. Did anyone try this? Is it OK?

Dead in Tombstone has got to be the most boring movie I watched as of late.

Also watched through half of Game of Thrones season 3. About time! Awesome! Can't wait to finish it and season 4 next year!

Haven't watched it yet, but was very intrigued when I saw the poster and the synopsis.

I used to be an F1 fan too... that was until I grew older and realized how much the sport as a whole was/is shrouded in politics.

We saw Juan Pablo Montoya (an American-Colombian) race for BMW Williams team in F1 and he regularly outclassed his German teammate Ralf Schumacher (yes the younger brother of F1 legend Michael Schumacher). What did the BMW team do? They still decided to give Ralf the number 1 status of the two drivers in the team. What did Juan Pablo do? He moved to the US to race NASCAR in the end, and according to him "NASCAR felt so much better!"

What happened to all the Asian and non-white drivers in F1? There used to be many. Where are they now? Right now there's only Lewis Hamilton who is a Black Brit. And every time he attends a race there would be some racist comments from some of the crowds watching. At one event there was even a group in the crowd who painted their faces black (as an insult to the Black driver).

Now we see white cars, white drivers, white teams. And it's getting old. But then the automobile industry suffered a huge loss. So now what did the F1 commission decide to do? They decided to invite Honda back into the championship as an added investor. So we may start to see Honda in F1 again maybe starting next year, if not the year after next. What else did they decide to do? They realized that there should be more Asian race tracks in the F1 championship. So now there's China, Malaysia, Singapore, India, and even Korea too. But actually, before the automobile industry suffered losses, F1 did not even bother to be so Asia-centric. In fact, back then they would make 'moves' to exclude anything that is Asian (Asian cars, Asian drivers, or whatever).
    RUSH. What a great movie. Must be one of Ron Howard's best movies. The racing scenes are just incredible! Then there's the story between James Hunt and Niki Lauda. A great story of two totally different personalities fighting for the F1 World Championship. What makes this movie even more emotional, is the fact that Niki Lauda is still alive and the ending is just pure greatness. If you are a F1 fan, go and see it! And even if you don't care about F1 racing for one bit, I still recommend to go and see the movie.
    4 out of 5 points and a future must have on Blu-ray!

Now, to comment on Razors opinion. I highly doubt that a majority of the F1 fans share your opinion of the F1 sport. It's not about politics and almost never has been. It's always been about the money and the greed of Bernie Ecclestone to want more of it all the time. The reason why there are almost no black drivers in the F1 is spelled skill, pure and simple. There are just no black drivers who are more skilled than the white drivers who race at the moment. You have to keep in mind that the sport is very expensive and I'm not now talking about F1. I'm talking about carting, these little racing cars that the guys start to race with at the age of 6 or 7. Every driver in the F1 has started their careers driving these cars. You have to have very wealthy parents to start driving in motor sports as a kid compared if you start to play football (soccer) or basketball. It's the same thing with hockey. Why is there almost no black players playing hockey? Cause it's a very expensive sport and the black guys start to play basketball or American football instead. Then there's the reason why F1 has spread to new markets like the Middle East and Asia. They want more people going to the races and to make more money. In fact, in the last couple of years, the thing in F1 has been saving money. They changed the rules, that now the engines and the gearboxes has to last longer before you are allowed to change them without suffering a penalty at the qualifying. And next year they are gonna downgrade the engines to V6 engines with turbos instead of todays V8 engines. Just that the costs of the engines would go down.
    Let's say that Sebastian Vettel would have been black. I highly doubt that Red Bull would have taken a less skilled white guy instead of him just because Vettel would have been black. When it comes to drivers, it always comes down to how skilled you are as a driver. There are these money drivers who buy a F1 seat with big sponsorship money, but it concerns only the low budget F1 teams whose cars run a lap 4-5 seconds slower compared to the top teams.
    My point is that you can be a Native American Apache indian named Charlie Crowfoot, but if you drive a lap a second faster that Sebastian Vettel, you will get a F1 seat in one of the top F1 teams cause they don't care what color your skin is. They just want the fastest driver out there.

Quote Originally Posted by frolunda71 View Post

Now, to comment on Razors opinion. I highly doubt that a majority of the F1 fans share your opinion of the F1 sport. It's not about politics and almost never has been. It's always been about the money and the greed of Bernie Ecclestone to want more of it all the time. The reason why there are almost no black drivers in the F1 is spelled skill, pure and simple. There are just no black drivers who are more skilled than the white drivers who race at the moment. You have to keep in mind that the sport is very expensive and I'm not now talking about F1. I'm talking about carting, these little racing cars that the guys start to race with at the age of 6 or 7. Every driver in the F1 has started their careers driving these cars. You have to have very wealthy parents to start driving in motor sports as a kid compared if you start to play football (soccer) or basketball. It's the same thing with hockey. Why is there almost no black players playing hockey? Cause it's a very expensive sport and the black guys start to play basketball or American football instead. Then there's the reason why F1 has spread to new markets like the Middle East and Asia. They want more people going to the races and to make more money. In fact, in the last couple of years, the thing in F1 has been saving money. They changed the rules, that now the engines and the gearboxes has to last longer before you are allowed to change them without suffering a penalty at the qualifying. And next year they are gonna downgrade the engines to V6 engines with turbos instead of todays V8 engines. Just that the costs of the engines would go down.
    Let's say that Sebastian Vettel would have been black. I highly doubt that Red Bull would have taken a less skilled white guy instead of him just because Vettel would have been black. When it comes to drivers, it always comes down to how skilled you are as a driver. There are these money drivers who buy a F1 seat with big sponsorship money, but it concerns only the low budget F1 teams whose cars run a lap 4-5 seconds slower compared to the top teams.
    My point is that you can be a Native American Apache indian named Charlie Crowfoot, but if you drive a lap a second faster that Sebastian Vettel, you will get a F1 seat in one of the top F1 teams cause they don't care what color your skin is. They just want the fastest driver out there.
    I disagree.

F1 is a White Man’s Sport, let’s face it.

There are many colored people who are equally wealthy and share the passion of racing since childhood. Say for example Japan, which is the ‘Mecca’ of automotive in Asia and the leaders in global automotive market. They have racing schools for kids everywhere in Japan. There are Japanese kids racing karts since they’ve learned how to speak or to walk. Where are the Japanese in F1 today?? The moment a Japanese driver steps into F1, the ‘people’ pulling the strings in the Sport makes sure that he never excels in the Sport.

This year’s F1 race in Japan was a flop. The grandstands that were supposed to be packed where not even sold out (and this happened in a country in Asia with the largest number of motorsports following). And the crowd was not cheering. There is no Japanese driver to cheer for, nor Japanese team to support.

Korea and India for example are also Asian countries with many great racing drivers. Korea is the home of Hyundai Motors and many Koreans are honed since childhood in the skill of motorsports through Hyundai’s various Racing Programs aimed at developing Korean racers. While in India the higher-class people are almost as wealthy as the Arabs and many have sent their kids to karting. Say for example Narain Karthikeyan – the first Indian racer to enter Formula One. He did show great potential but the Sport made sure that he’s relegated to nothing more than a ‘Weekend Test Driver.’

There’s no ‘gap’ in skills between white and colored racers. F1 wants you to think that there is a ‘gap.’ As it is a Right-Wing governed sport. But really there is none. Try to look at the sports of Drifting and see how Asian drivers dominate. Try to look at NASCAR and see Hispanics dominate from time to time.

Of course this is my view on the matter and you may see it differently. At the end of the day each has his own opinion.

Getting a bit off topic here, but you have a point Razor. There are sports that are dominated by white people and there are sports dominated by black people. Just look at the NBA. 90% of the players are black. Hockey is the same thing as F1. Dominated by white people. I guess we just have to live with the fact that, that's the case, and there's not much we can do about it whether we like it or not...

Captain Phillips

You know who Paul Greengrass is.
    Such an intense & even touching experience.

Gravity

Technically innovative, thematically simple and clear, emotionally overwhelming.
    A model of well-made filmmaking.

Percy Jackson: The Sea of Monsters
    There's a movie of this. But in my case I read the novel instead. So that's kind of like indirectly having watched the movie since the movie is based on the novel after all. It was a good time killer. Pretty entertaining. I read the novel little by little on my spare time until I've finished it.

Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
    Good flick. Entertaining and not quite what I had expected honestly. I was expecting it to be more along the lines of Twilight. Well there are parts in the film like Twilight. But it's pretty original with the myths and all that.

Captain Phillips. A very good movie! Very realistic in the way that the Somali pirates speak almost only Somalian through out the movie and they look just like you may have seen them on the news on TV. Just like with the Bourne movies, Greengrass doesn't know what a steady-cam is when shooting scenes in a moving boat, but that just ads realism to the movie. The ending is like with Titanic, you know how it's going to end, but it's the mind game between Captain Phillips and the Somali pirate captain that is the real story in the movie and the effort of the US Navy to try and save Captain Phillips alive. If you wanna see a true story movie that is very realistic and what I believe is pretty close to the real events that took place when the pirates hijacked that ship, go and see the movie.
    I'm sure I'm gonna buy this on Blu-ray when it's released.