Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

Default Re: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

World War Z in 3D. A good zombie movie. First the 3D was poor. Barely noticeable. If I'm not mistaken, it's been post-converted to 3D and the difference between WWZ and Star Trek 2 is like day and night. WWZ being the night when it comes to 3D. But the 3D is not the main point. The movie and the story is. I liked that the zombies come with a slight change compared to zombies in a movie like 28 Days Later.
    There's good action and the pace of the movie is good. So if you wanna see a good popcorn flick this summer, go and see this.
    I'll give it a good 3 out of 5 points and I'll probably get it on Blu-ray.
    I've heard that there's a book with the same title as the movie, but I have no knowledge if the movie is anything like the book since I haven't read the book...

Default Re: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

Olympus Has Fallen - I was surprised how violent that movie was considering the sensitive topic for the Americans. Although very unrealistic the movie was OK. Why all bombs have timers set on 5 min. Can't they just detonate on push?

The Wolverine - Pretty well made comic book movie. Hugh Jackman was made for the Wolverine role.

Despicable Me 2 - I enjoyed it. Thought it was better than the first actually.

Pacific Rim - Action was okay. CGI was okay. Acting was horrible. Monsters looked horrible. Overall film was meh.
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

The Conjuring.

I'm not sure why this movie is getting so much praise while others that have the same basic premise do not.

If you've see one "family-moves-into-a-creepy-100-year-old-house-in-the-middle-of-nowhere-only-to-find-it-haunted" movie, you've seen them all.

The Wolverine in 3D. A good Marvel movie and Hugh Jackman really knows how to play the character. It's better than the previous X-Men: Wolverine movie. The 3D was also OK, so all and all a good 3 out of 5 points.

Now You See Me. Great cast! Great story! With an ending you never see coming! All done by a director I've never heard off!!
    Just a great movie and a well deserved 4 out of 5 points!!

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

"Desperate Measures"

Poster.jpg

Little trivia: Apparently Bay really wanted to direct this movie but for whatever reason he ended up making "The Rock".

But even without him "Desperate Measures" is a pretty solid action movie. I've seen it a couple of times through the years and it always keeps my attention. It's certainly underrated though. Give it a chance if you haven't seen it.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Quote Originally Posted by frolunda71 View Post
    World War Z in 3D. A good zombie movie. First the 3D was poor. Barely noticeable. If I'm not mistaken, it's been post-converted to 3D and the difference between WWZ and Star Trek 2 is like day and night. WWZ being the night when it comes to 3D. But the 3D is not the main point. The movie and the story is. I liked that the zombies come with a slight change compared to zombies in a movie like 28 Days Later.
    There's good action and the pace of the movie is good. So if you wanna see a good popcorn flick this summer, go and see this.
    I'll give it a good 3 out of 5 points and I'll probably get it on Blu-ray.
    I've heard that there's a book with the same title as the movie, but I have no knowledge if the movie is anything like the book since I haven't read the book...

It was an ok movie but not quite like the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    "Desperate Measures"

Poster.jpg

Little trivia: Apparently Bay really wanted to direct this movie but for whatever reason he ended up making "The Rock".

But even without him "Desperate Measures" is a pretty solid action movie. I've seen it a couple of times through the years and it always keeps my attention. It's certainly underrated though. Give it a chance if you haven't seen it.
    I heard about that he was gonna direct it but i'm glad he did The Rock. Hell Michael Bay was even gonna do the Watchmen movie back in 2003 for Paramount when Paramount/Warner got the rights but he passed on. I don't think Watchmen is the kind of movie he would do and glad Snyder got the job.

What i saw in the past weeks on blu-ray, DVD and theaters

Pacific Rim: Very good throwback to Japanese monster movies and it's like live-action anime thanks to Guillermo Del Toro.

The Howling on blu-ray: One of the 80s best horror films and one of the coolest werewolf movies ever! Rob Bottin did kick ass Werewolf animatronics/make-up transformation effects and this movie is just as good as the same year's American Werewolf in London. Joe dante is quite a talented director who made a unique classic of the genre i always enjoyed since i was a kid, Scream Factory's blu-ray has outstanding picture and sound with a boatload of extras abound.

The Fog (1980) on blu-ray: One of Carpenter's most underrated but unique films, i saw it on TV when i was 4 and thought it was a scary film and one of my favorite horror films for a long time. The blu-ray looks/sounds superb thanks to the new transfer supervised by Dean Cundy and lots of goodies galore on the BD. Adrienne Barbeau, Tom Atkins, Jamie Lee Curtis and Hal Halbrook shine here.

Oliver and Company on blu-ray: Anyone here remember this 1988 Disney animated movie? i do, one of my favorite Disney animated movies. I actually saw this 25 years ago when i was 7 years old in theaters during the holidays about 4 times even after christmas day and i had some of the merchandise like 2 t-shirts, Mcdonalds toys/ornuments, soundtrack, readalong with cassette and all that. Too bad it never showed up on video the next year as i was disappointed as i wanted it but it took 6 years to get to video and got it on video when i was a teen for Xmas, the blu-ray offers a very crisp transfer with excellent sound and it looks/sounds better than ever. This one has a nice cast especially Billy Joel in his first and only film role and nice realistic animation.

Street Trash on blu-ray: Gross as hell and funny 1987 cult horror comedy in the tradition of The Toxic Avenger/Re-Animator about whinos and street bums in New York who deal with a bullying leader, a mean sleazy junkyard owner and also a liquor store owner who sells a banned brand of liquor for a dollar that makes people who drink it instantly melt literally or explode. Lots of gore and good make-up effects with tasteless humor as it's completely polically incorrect, i enjoyed this since i first rented it. Synapse did a great job on the blu-ray PQ and sound quality and extras abound.

The Wolverine: An improvement over the first one and manages to make a rock em sock em epic and just as good as X-Men 1/2/First class.

2 Guns: Solid hard actioner based on an obscure graphic novel and one of the better graphic novel movies in recent memory, great acting and thrills abound.

Swamp Thing on BD: A childhood fave that got me into DC comics and into the character as i saw this on cable at 4 and collected his comics since. He's my fave DC character no doubt and this movie is really alot of fun, the blu-ray has sharp picture/sound with nice extras. Adrienne Barbeau is lovely here as Alice Cable and who thinks it's cool that she is 2 DC comics characters known as Alice Cable and can you all guess who else she is?

The Incredible Melting Man on BD: So bad it's good 1977 shlockfeast Sci-fi movie about a astronaut who gets hit by cosmic rays and gets hospitalized as his skin is slowly melting as he has to kill and eat human flesh in order to survive and keep his cells from breaking up. Gory and gooey movie with nice make-up by Rick Baker and a guilty pleasure since i was a kid when i rented it, the blu-ray from Scream Factory has great PQ and nice extras and i also dig MST3K's version as well.

The Devil's Backbone: Guillermo Del Toro's second best after Pan's Labyrinth and a unique supernatural Spanish-Mexican import that is one of the last decade's best horror films. Criteron's BD has never looked or sounded this great before.

Elysium.

I thought the first half of the movie was a lot better than the last half, but overall a great movie.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    The Conjuring.

I'm not sure why this movie is getting so much praise while others that have the same basic premise do not.

If you've see one "family-moves-into-a-creepy-100-year-old-house-in-the-middle-of-nowhere-only-to-find-it-haunted" movie, you've seen them all.
    I'll give you a hint. It's all about this:

400px-Chineseart_Executionpainting.jpg

Pacific Rim in 3D. A great movie! The action is totally different from Transformers. Instead of being fast like "what the hell just happened there?", the action is slow and heavy. You get the feeling that these robots and monsters really weigh a couple of thousand tons. The 3D was really good and the CGI was very good! I also liked the music, specially when they start the synchronization of the Jaeger! A really cool piece of music there. If you like Sci-Fi and action movies, go and see it!! One of this years best movies hands down!! A strong 4 out of 5 points and I'll definitely get it on Blu-ray when it's released!!!

Elysium - Although it was cliche at some points, I thought it was a really good movie. It Blomkamp held onto that District 9 feel and atmosphere which was fine by me.

The Conjuring.Never saw an audience react to a movie quite like this one, loaded with jump scares. Some of them were very original.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
    -John Wayne (The Shootist)

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

"Dobermann"

Tarantino meets Michael Bay and Tony Scott. Sick performance by Tcheky Karyo ("Bad Boys"), brilliant camera work and a truly exceptional movie. If you still haven't seen "Dobermann" here's a little taste of it:

"You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Elysium. A very good movie. Great action and the CGI is very good and it reminds a bit of District 9. 4 out of 5 points.

Kick-Ass 2. Not as good as the first one. A lot like a roller coaster movie. First you laugh at something funny and the next they shoot down cops in cold blood in the middle of the street and try to do it in a funny way without succeeding. The story is a lot about Hit Girl and her way to try to be a normal teenager going to school, but not even she is as funny and cute as she was in the first movie. Mainly because she is now a couple of years older and is no longer that 11 year old who kicked ass in the first movie. The whole killing thing is a bit extreme during the whole movie and it just don't have the same feeling compared to the first movie. I'll stretch to a barely 3 out of 5 points. Will get it on Blu-ray, but only when it is on sale for half price in a year or two.

The Grandmaster

Wong Kar Wai's new film. Absolutely gorgeous experience.

The Place Beyond the Pines was a good movie. It's the only movie I've seen with rotating lead characters.

The movie starts off with a bank robber as lead character (and you would think you're gonna be seeing this guy till the end). About halfway through the movie he gets killed and the focus of the story turns to the cop who had killed him therefore making the cop the lead character. Towards the end the cop takes a backseat and the movie turns its focus on the late bank robber's son who has grown to become a teenager, again rotating the lead role making the kid the lead character until the movie ends. A very nice touch.

Pain and Gain. I didn't hate it.

We're the Millers. Pretty funny.

The Heat. Funny, but Melissa McCarthy overdoes it sometimes.

Oblivion. I enjoyed the first half, but I was let down by the ending.

Scary Movie 5. I got through about 45 minutes of it and turned it off. Literally one of the worst movies I've ever seen. There was not a single thing funny about it. The other 4 movies weren't perfect, but they each had a few funny parts. (SM 1 & 2 especially).

Please stay away from this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    The Place Beyond the Pines was a good movie. It's the only movie I've seen with rotating lead characters.

The movie starts off with a bank robber as lead character (and you would think you're gonna be seeing this guy till the end). About halfway through the movie he gets killed and the focus of the story turns to the cop who had killed him therefore making the cop the lead character. Towards the end the cop takes a backseat and the movie turns its focus on the late bank robber's son who has grown to become a teenager, again rotating the lead role making the kid the lead character until the movie ends. A very nice touch.
    The Place Beyond the Pines is one of my top 3 favorite films of all time! I really liked the way they structured the story despite having a few flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by swishbig View Post
    The Place Beyond the Pines is one of my top 3 favorite films of all time! I really liked the way they structured the story despite having a few flaws.
    I LOVE Ryan Gosling with these roles!

In 2011 he played a very similar role -- in Drive -- working as a movie stunt driver and then using his driving skills to work as a getaway driver for bank robbers. Loved that movie. But he end up getting killed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post

Scary Movie 5. I got through about 45 minutes of it and turned it off. Literally one of the worst movies I've ever seen. There was not a single thing funny about it. The other 4 movies weren't perfect, but they each had a few funny parts. (SM 1 & 2 especially).

Please stay away from this movie.
    That's because the guys behind these movies wouldn't know parody if it came up and bit them in the nads. I'd rather see Hotshots 1 & 2 over any scary movie or their horrible clones (Meet the spartans, Date move, epic Move....)

Saw The Wolverine. Not a bad movie but Jean Grey appearing every time he falls asleep gets old fast. By the fifth time I was hearing people go "Not her again!" It was pointless.

Also saw Willow, Starring Warwick Davis and Val Kilmer back when he was actually in Shape. Nice fantasy movie.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
    -John Wayne (The Shootist)

Riddick is the best movie of this summer.

Pain & Gain. Finally it premiered here and I saw it last night. To be honest, I didn't like it very much. The actors were great with Wahlberg who is in top shape and with The Rock as this wimp who cries and is very emotional and stuff like that. So the actors were just fine. Then there are a couple of good laughs in the movie, but for the first time during a Michael Bay movie, I looked at the watch about 20 minutes before the end and wondered how long is this gonna take. It felt like it was too long and there were scenes that could have easily been cut off.
    This will most likely be the first Michael Bay movie that I won't buy on Blu-ray, unless I get it very very cheap on a sale or something.
    In my opinion, Bay better stick to these $200 million mega block buster movies with great action, massive explosions and with sound that will blow your ears away cause that's what he does best.
    I give P & G a weak 3 out of 5 points.

Moneyball

Just watched it again. Aaron sorkin & Brad pitt nailed it. Great movie.

Last weekend was a long weekend for me so I did like a movie marathon at home, and I was able to watch about a dozen or more movies. To name a few really good ones that I liked -- The Purge, Byzantium, RIPD, Assault on Wallstreet, and I spit on your grave 2 were all great.