Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

Default Re: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

Quote Originally Posted by frolunda71 View Post
    The Great Gatsby 3D. Well this one sucked old sport as Leo would have said in the movie. And the words "old sport" have big part in the movie. After Leo has finished every line 50 times with those words, he starts to sound like a broken record. Then at the end when he has said them a 100 times more, it literally gets annoying. The script writer must have those words printed on his forehead!
    He also says it a billion freakin' times in the book. I know, because I had to read it in high school. Just goes to show you that some things just don't translate well into film.

Default Re: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

The Fast and The Furious 6 , or simply Furious 6 as it says at the beginning.

If you haven't seen it yet,it is not over until the Tokyo sequence.

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

"After Earth"

So you think film buffs and critics hate Michael Bay the most? Boy, you haven't seen anything. With "After Earth" coming out M. Night is yet again an absolute punching bag. And that's based on the stuff I've seen on Twitter and Facebook. Can't even imagine what it's like on sites like Rotten Tomatoes (good thing I don't go there).

Anyway, I saw "After Earth" and I didn't really mind it. Can't say that I'm impressed and I don't plan on seeing it again, even on Blu-ray. But...

...I have to say that as far as I'm concerned it's certainly not the "worst movie eva". And even though I'm not a huge fan of the flick I'm still a huge fan of M. Night. Always will be.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Star Trek Into Darkness 3D. I thought it was a good movie. Good action and the pace of the movie was good cause it never really slowed down. The CG effects are very good. Then to the best part of the movie. The 3D was just GREAT!! Right up there with Avatar and Prometheus class!! Talk about having now high expectations on the 3D in Star Wars: Episode VII, since Abrams is gonna be in charge of that one as well! This movie is now my new reference point to all the upcoming 3D movies that will premiere this year like Man of Steel, Wolverine and World War Z. Looking forward to see if any of those movies can match the 3D of this one. The 3D depth was just great! Compared to The Great Gatsby, it's like night and day. The 3D was 10 times better in this one and it gave that wow feeling that you want to experience when you go and see a 3D movie. Wanna see some good Sci-Fi action with great 3D, then this is the movie to see. A strong 3 out of 5 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    "After Earth"

So you think film buffs and critics hate Michael Bay the most? Boy, you haven't seen anything. With "After Earth" coming out M. Night is yet again an absolute punching bag. And that's based on the stuff I've seen on Twitter and Facebook. Can't even imagine what it's like on sites like Rotten Tomatoes (good thing I don't go there).

Anyway, I saw "After Earth" and I didn't really mind it. Can't say that I'm impressed and I don't plan on seeing it again, even on Blu-ray. But...

...I have to say that as far as I'm concerned it's certainly not the "worst movie eva". And even though I'm not a huge fan of the flick I'm still a huge fan of M. Night. Always will be.
    I was a huge fan of him as well. Until The Happening. That one was unforgivable.

After Earth - The first thing that appears after the movie ends is : "Story by Will Smith" after that you can see several Pinkett/Smith names. So this is definitely the Smith's movie and we don't have to blame Shyamalan for the indifferent result. At least not much. I just don't know why Shyamalan can't find his stories no more. The Signs, The Village and Lady from the Water were brilliant and unique. What the hell happened next? I hope he finds the right story next time, although after 3 poor movies it'll be really hard.

A Good Day to Die Hard - I can't believe how incredibly awful that movie was. Honestly I don't remember seeing such poor execution from the last 10 years. You can find so much more in a Uwe Boll movie. This was a disgrace for the Die Hard movies.

Parker - This movie is like Oscar worthy compared to the above. As I like to say this one is from Jason Statham's better movies.

Dark Skies and Dark Circles - Both movies were pretty good with some really scary scenes. It's really hard to find a decent horror movie lately.

Fast 6. Great action! If you liked Fast 5, then you'll like Fast 6 as well. But I think I liked Fast 5 a little bit more even when 6 has some really great actions scenes. The only thing that took a little bit too long, is the end fight, but what do I know. Maybe the runways at the military airports in Spain are 10km long...
    The thing that messes up this whole Fast series, is the fact that Lin went and made that shit Tokyo drift as the third movie and then brought back the character Han for Fast 4, 5 and 6 when he died in Tokyo drift. At the end after the end credits have rolled a while in Fast 6, they show a scene from Tokyo drift that shows a bit of the story for Fast 7 that comes out next year. Before Fast 6, Tokyo Drift didn't fit anywhere in the chronological order of the Fast story line. Well now it does. It should be called Fast 6.5 and you should watch it just after the credits start to roll on Fast 6, and after Tokyo drift, you should put on Fast 6 again and watch the extra scene that comes after the end credits have rolled on a while.
    The coolest thing in Fast 6 has to be a tail number or in this case a tail text of a private plane belonging to the character Roman Pearce!
    This one I'm gonna get on Blu-ray since I already got the Blu-ray box with all the previous five movies. A strong 3 out of 5 points.

Fast 6 - Loved it although the story was bad...I enjoyed Fast 5 better.
    The Purge - Cool concept, horrible film. Everyone annoyed me in that film.
    This Is The End - All out hilarious! Funniest comedy since 21 Jump Street!
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

Man of Steel

Man of Steel. Good movie, but Lois Lane aggravated me. Didn't really like her for some reason. The best thing about it is that it's about 45.6 trillion times better than Superman Returns.

World War Z. I enjoyed it. I saw all the bad press regarding the re-shoots and all, but the ending they have worked.

The Dark Knight
    The Dark Knight Rises
    Man of Steel (again)

Man of Steel
    My Little Pony: Equestria Girls. The wife and I took our 7 year old daughter. Pretty funny.
    Driller-bot is thirsty.

World War Z

Very enjoyed it. It certainly shows amazing suspense. Brad pitt has credible eye on movies.

[rec]3 : Genesis

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

"Brokedown Palace"

Poster.jpg

Don't even know how many times I've seen it. A personal favorite.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

28 Weeks Later

Wow, It pretty sucks. I thought I'm generous viewer. But it tests me.
    Too much illogical & contrived plot, pathetic & dislikable characters make me so angry.
    Even its intense style & meaningful political commentary can't save this terrible flick.

The People that Time Forgot (77)
    Apollo 13
    The Mask of Zorro
    The Terminator
    Terminator 2:Judgement Day
    Cloud Atlas
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Gabba View Post
    Man of Steel
    My Little Pony: Equestria Girls. The wife and I took our 7 year old daughter. Pretty funny.
    I saw that as well, i'm a brony.
    The Howling on BD: Great werewolf movie! i enjoyed this since i was 5 on video along with American Werewolf in London, this movie is unique and well made with great direction by Joe Dante and great performances by Dee Wallace Stone (YES the mom from E.T.), Robert Picardo, John Cariddin and so much more. Awesome make-up effects by Rob Bottin which are as effective as the same year's American Werewolf's transformations. The BD from Scream Factory improved the PQ and AQ with great extras, a must own BD for fans of the genre.

Vamp on Arrow BD: I saw this in theaters as a kid and thought it was a fun and entertaining 80s cult vampire horror comedy with great performances by Deedee Pfeifer (One of my boyhood crushes and she is Michelle's sister), Robert Rusler, Geedee Wantanabe and also by the legendary Grace Jones (she is one of those singers who can act). This movie influenced From Dusk Till Dawn and Bordello of Blood with the same plot of 3 guys who go to a sleazy strip joint to get a hot chick yet the club is owned by vampires even by a vampiress queen. The BD from the UK Arrow is fantastic with crisp coloring and terrific extras as this BD is region free, one of my favorite vampire films.

Lifeforce on BD: Fun and sexy 1985 cult sci-fi horror thriller from Tobe Hooper and Dan O'Bannon (Alien and Total Recall) i always enjoyed since i rented it on video and Matilda May who plays the female alien vampriess is one of my boyhood crushes. It's about astronauts who discover an ancient spaceship on Haley's comet with hundreds of dead bat-like aliens and 3 nude humanoids perserved in energy crystals as they are brought back in London, however the humanoids turn out to be an ancient race of alien vampires from which our legends and myths were born as these vampires instead of drinking blood they suck energy to transform humans into fast moving zombies. This movie takes the vampire and zombie mythologies in a sci-fi way and it's kind of like 28 Days Later meets The Keep and Dracula with lots of sex, gory violence and imagination. The BD looks and sounds great on HD thanks to Scream Factory and great extras too including both theatrical and European cuts.

Man of Steel: 3 times, best Superman movie in a long time and one of Zack Snyder's best films! great performances, slam bang action and a nice reinvention of the mythology.

Superman The Movie on BD: One of the all time comic book classics! Christopher Reeves is awesome as the character and the BD looks great.

Superman II on BD: Great sequel that nearly rivals the original, although i gotta admit Donner's cut is better.

Superman II Donner Cut on BD: A huge improvement on the theatrical Richard Lester cut and has more character development.

Superman III on BD: The begining of the end of the franchise as it's over the top sillyiness but Richard Pyror nearly saves this movie, i gotta say that the robot woman was scary in this movie even though it's silly nowadays as she looks like Dot Matrix from Spaceballs gone wrong.

Superman IV on BD: The death of the franchise, a piece of crap that destroyed it. I saw this stinker in theaters when i was 6 and thought it blew badly.

Superman Returns on BD: A improvement over parts 3 and 4, Singer did a decent effort by making a direct sequel to Superman 1 and 2 yet has good effects.

Prometheus on BD: Superb prequel to the Alien saga and a nice sci-fi comeback for Ridley Scott, it gets better on repeated viewings. One of the best sci-fi films in recent memory.

The Avengers on BD: Just awesome.

Alien on BD: If not for the old fashioned computers then the PQ restoration will make you convinced that it was filmed in 2009 instead of 1979, Ridley Scott's second masterpiece after Blade Runner and this movie is still awesome and frightening, this movie is one of those films that got me hooked into the genres of both horror and sci-fi since i saw it on cable when i was 4.

Ninja III The Dominion on BD: One of those WTF films from the 80s that deserves a cult following yet very enjoyable in an unrelated anthology series of Ninja films from Cannon as this is an action. Lucinda Dickey is gorgeous in this movie as the woman who gets possessed by the spirit of a demonic ninja who murders people sometimes at night but Sho Kousanagi plays a ninja who must perform a unique ancient exorcism to get the spirit out of her body that only a ninja can defeat a ninja. The BD from Shout/Scream Factory is fantastic on crisp PQ and good AQ making this one of their finest BDs. The film is loaded with stunning action sequences, martial arts and good special effects as this movie is like Ninja Scroll, The Exorcist, Poltergeist and Ghostbusters put together.

Man of Steel in Real 3D. Great reboot of Superman. It's nothing like all the previous Superman movies. This one has action and A LOT!! Once you think it's all over, it continues a bit more. Then there's the sound and the soundtrack. OMG!! It's hands down the loudest movie I've ever seen in the movie theaters here!
    The cast is good and as I said before, there a hell of a lot action! The only downside was the 3D. Barely noticeable at all!! Zack Snyder clearly doesn't have the skills to produce great 3D as J.J. Abrams did with the last Star Trek movie. Since they used a 3D camera to shoot Man of Steel, it just shows that today it's possible to totally post convert a movie to better 3D than when it's been shot in 3D from the start.
    Overall I'll give it a strong 3 out of 5 points. Would have gotten a 4 if the 3D would have been better.

Young Guns
    Galaxy Quest
    Truman Show
    Back to the Future
    Transformers the Movie (1986)

and in theaters

Iron Man 3
    Driller-bot is thirsty.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    Man of Steel. Good movie, but Lois Lane aggravated me. Didn't really like her for some reason. The best thing about it is that it's about 45.6 trillion times better than Superman Returns.
    Saw it Twice, I think I know where you're coming from but at least they made Lois more than just some who's just there to get saved by Superman.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
    -John Wayne (The Shootist)

The Lone Ranger. I liked it. It was like a good old western with some goofy comedy mainly by Depp as Tonto. Sure he makes fun of the native Americans, but you just can't take it seriously. Great action and when it hits full gas at the end when they play the Lone Ranger music at the same time, you better hold on to your cowboy hats folks! A strong 3,5 points out of 5! I'll buy it on Blu-ray when it hits the stores.

Frenzy (1972)

Gotta love Hitchcock. Needless to say, but he's the greatest master about thrills and humors.

Tron
    Tron :Legacy
    Pacific Rim

Solomon Kane

I had been waiting soooooo long to see this. Well it was finally released on video in the US. When it came to theaters it never came around here(very limited release). Great movie, loved it!