Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

Default Re: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

Oblivion - Great looking sci-fi movie with a clever story. Avoid reading spoilers!

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Default Re: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

"Hollow Man" (Director's Cut)

Poster.jpg

Even better than the theatrical version. And it's still one of the few movies that I enjoy watching over and over again. In a lot of ways "Hollow Man" is a pretty unique movie. For one the visual effects are pretty damn spectacular. Not to mention that it's a hardcore R rated big-budget movie. A rare sight nowadays.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    Oblivion - Great looking sci-fi movie with a clever story. Avoid reading spoilers!
    Oblivion. Just have to agree with Albershide. A good Sci-Fi movie and what ever you do, just go and see it and don't read any spoilers of the story!

Iron Man 3 - The best of the series.
    Pain & Gain - Michael Bay's "best" movie.
    Star Trek Into Darkness - Fuck. This. Shit.

Holy Motors (2012)
    Take Shelter (2011)

surely recommend 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by halofan1 View Post
    Star Trek Into Darkness - Fuck. This. Shit.
    It's that bad?

Watched An 80's classic Night of the Demons, Haven't seen the remake yet.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
    -John Wayne (The Shootist)

Iron Man 3 - great way to finish the franchise and yet I expected more. The humor was very Avengers alike. Again stay away from spoilers. And the scene after the end titles is not worth the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by MrX View Post
    It's that bad?
    I don't like where they take the story.

Iron Man 3. It's OK, but after seeing the trailers I expected a lot more action and sad to say, there ain't none. It's off to the slowest starts of all the three movies with the first big action scene coming first after 30 minutes! Pepper Potts and Jarvis also have a lot bigger roles compared to the previous two movies. I didn't like the bad guy thing so much in this one. Just felt a bit lame to me. If this is the last Iron Man movie, then the ending was good.
    I'll buy it on Blu-ray, but not when it's released. I'll wait till they drop the price when it goes on sale.
    I'll give it 3 out of 5 points.

"The Peacemaker"

I've seen it many times and I have to say this movie works perfectly. And that ending in NY is without a doubt one of my all-time favorite action sequences. I even think that it tops some of Bay's work or Tony Scott's work. It's just incredible. And what makes it even better is the fact that the director is a woman (the great Mimi Leder). She sure knows how to use the camera and if she was still making these types of movies Bay and Scott would've had a serious competition.

Seriously, just take a look at the camera work, the editing and the music (Zimmer himself) in the first few seconds of this particular scene. If that's not a good, intense action then I don't know what is:

"You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Oblivion: first great sci-fi movie of the year!

The Thing (1982) on blu-ray: Excellent detailed picture quality on this blu-ray as i own this on both blu-ray and DVD as it's one of my favorite movies, it has never looked or sounded good than ever before with stuff you've never seen on VHS or DVD before like seeing a nose-ring on one of the crew members. This movie is Carpenter's masterpiece after Halloween and it's by far the quintessential more faithful adaptation of John Campbell's 1938 novella "Who Goes There" which was something the 1951 Howard Hawks film completely ignored.

Iron Man on blu-ray: One of the best comic based movies ever and one of the best Marvel movies as it's a nice start to both IM and Avengers franchises, Robert Downy Jr. is perfect for the role of Tony Stark.

Jaws on blu-ray: One of the all time greatest cinematic masterpieces of both the genres of horror and adventure has NEVER ever looked or sounded this great, Spielberg and company did a banged up flawless job with the picture as you think it was filmed last year and awesome sound that makes the theme go into your bones when you listen to it, a must own blu-ray.

Dick Tracy on blu-ray: It looks very good on high def yet not quite perfect, i always loved this movie since i was 9 when i saw it in theaters as i saw it 4 times. I had t-shirt, hat, poster, movie magazine, 2 toys, Mcdonalds cup, novel and all that. This movie was the Sin City of the 90s with the same style of being like a comic even to the character make-up and a nice cast. Al Pacino was hilarious and over the top as Big Boy, Dustin Hoffman was hilarious as Mumbles and all that. I also gotta say Madonna never looked hotter than in this movie and when i saw her coming out in that see-through dress in that scene where she seduces Tracy i became a man, lol.

The Vampire Lovers on blu-ray: Boy i tell you this is the year of Scream/Shout Factory doing quality blu-rays to sci-fi, horror, cult, thriller and suspense movies even with their Scream factory line. This 1970 cult Hammer UK import is one of the sexiest films of the genre and Igrid Pitt is quite the hottie in this movie no doubt. The picture looks very good for being remastered of being a film made 43 years ago and on par with Synpases releases of Vampire Circus and Twins of Evil.

Jurassic Park 3D
    Oblivion
    Pain & Gain
    Iron Man 3

Iron Man 3
    POTC: On Stranger Tides
    The Impossible
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

Evil Dead Remake. Not that bad at all, I really enjoyed it and I won't spoil it for anyone but The Practical Effects are amazing.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

The Great Gatsby (3D)

Awesome movie. If you liked Moulin Rouge, you'll like this. Great use of 3D, great music, great visuals. It was... Great.

Ed Fuego
    "can you ban people who put other members quotes in their sig? if that is not a tell all sign that a person is going to be annoying i don't know what is."
    - thegreat

Ace In The Hole (1951)

Billy Wilder is one of the greatest filmmakers ever.

Evil Dead Remake. Not that bad at all, I really enjoyed it and I won't spoil it for anyone but The Practical Effects are amazing.
    Actually, it's a spin-off: Raimi and Campbell are planning a film with Mia and Ash kicking ass!

Now, I saw Star Trek Into Darkness last night. WOW!!! If you can catch it on 3D, do it. For a post converted film, it has great 3D effect.
    As for plot and characters, it really is amazing. And although I used to say the film was Cumberbatch's due to his acting, it's everyone's since everyone did an amazing job.

Pure sci-fi epicness at it's finest. 10/10

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    Actually, it's a spin-off: Raimi and Campbell are planning a film with Mia and Ash kicking ass! \
    I read about that, Having Mia and Ash Kick Deadite Ass would be Awesome. That does explain a few things in the film. Oh for those who are wondering now, Ash is not mentioned in the film but there are a few things in the film that nod the Original movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    Now, I saw Star Trek Into Darkness last night. WOW!!! If you can catch it on 3D, do it. For a post converted film, it has great 3D effect.
    As for plot and characters, it really is amazing. And although I used to say the film was Cumberbatch's due to his acting, it's everyone's since everyone did an amazing job.

Pure sci-fi epicness at it's finest. 10/10
    I have a question for you about this one but I'll PM you so I don't spoil it for anyone.

Life of Pi - brilliant. Loved every minute from that one. Great work by Ang Lee.
    The Last Stand - what a waste of time. The only good thing was to see Arnold back in a pretty good shape.
    Broken City - a decent movie. Mark Wahlberg is in his cop mode - every time looks the same.
    Jack Reacher - a very pleasant surprise. Very well executed movie with a nice story from author Lee Child.
    Mama - expected more from a Guillermo del Toro produced horror movie. Still it's much better than most recent ones in that genre.
    The Chinese Zodiac - a funny Jacky Chan adventure movie (suitable for kids).
    Fringe (final season) - this series had such great potential but for me this was one of the weakest final seasons of a TV show that I've ever watched. Maybe it's just me.

Star Trek: Into Darkness - I'm not a Trek fan, I like Abrams and I love sci-fi. Although the movie has everything that a sci-fi fan would love somehow I was disappointed at the end of the day. I can't explain why. Maybe I was in the wrong mood. Still I'm sure now that Star Wars is indeed in the right hands.

It's that bad?

Watched An 80's classic Night of the Demons, Haven't seen the remake yet.
    Great film, i saw that in theaters when i was 7 years old and been a fave of mine since.

Iron Man 2 on blu-ray : Well made sequel, i really like this
    Iron Man 3: Loved it, sure it has some problems but still a nice entry.

Star Trek (2009): Fantastic reboot of the franchise i saw 6 times in theaters and one of my fave trek films.

Star Trek Into Darkness: Great sequel no doubt, i think it rivals the first movie.

The Burning on blu-ray: One of the most overlooked horror films of the 80s and a cult gem too of the slasher genre. Some say it's a Friday The 13th rip-off but the filmmakers had this story long before F13 and was written before F13, this one tells a good story where it has an abusive camp counselor who got into a really bad fire accident due to a mean prank by punks and it leaves him horribly disfigured, 5 years later he goes back to the camp area to get his revenge. This one has likable characters that you feel pity for (aka the victims) as they were innocent people who has never done harm to Crospy yet the killer kills them, this one has Jason Alexandre in an early role as he had a head full of head and an appearance by Holly hunter in an early role with Fisher Stevens from Short Circuit. Tom Savini's make-up effects steal the show here with unique make-up and gore effects by him especially the infamous raft massacre sequence, i always liked this for years since i was 6 when i rented it and thought it was scary and when i re-rented it when i was 14 i loved it. This one is one of my fave horror films ever and it looks and sounds very nice on blu-ray no doubt with great extras, a must see for fans of horror.

The Town that Dreaded Sundown on blu-ray: FINALLY on both DVD and even better, BLU-RAY!!!!! Scream Factory knows how to please fans of cult, sci-fi, horror and thrillers with their unique blu-rays and quality picture/sound to them. I remembered renting this gem when i was 5 years old and thought it was scary, i had this on tape with other stuff in it for years since i was a teen. In the last decade i wanted this to hit DVD badly then last year when it was announced to come on blu-ray, i threw away the old tape. It looks very nice and sounds good too on high def with fine extras including a bonus DVD that has the movie with a DVD only feature called The Evictors from 1979. This movie is a well made and creepy horror thriller based on actual murders and has a unique death scene involving a trombone you have to see to believe.

"Hangover 3"

Let's see now. Some people complained that the first sequel was basically a copy of the original. They wanted something different. Well, Phillips did something different with the third one...and people still complain like crazy (at least based on the stuff I've seen on Twitter). I guess you just can't please certain people. No matter what you do.

Personally I enjoyed the movie. Do I plan on seeing it again? No. But I had a good time in the theater.

P.S. Don't leave when the credits roll. Wait a bit.

"Fast & Furious 6"

I can almost imagine Justin Lin shooting the movie and saying to himself: "I have to top Michael Bay, I have to top Michael Bay, I have to top Michael Bay".

This movie contains some insane action sequences and pretty much every action shot shows that Lin was heavily influenced by Bay. I liked the movie and will probably see it again on the big screen. But I have to say that the action is getting "too" over the top. It's just too unbelievable....even for this franchise. Oh, and let's not forget the ending that takes place on the looooooongest runway in the world. A lot of people seem to complain about that damn runway and honestly I don't blame them. It is a bit silly.

Still, a fun action movie. You like the previous one? You'll like this one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    "Hangover 3"

Let's see now. Some people complained that the first sequel was basically a copy of the original. They wanted something different. Well, Phillips did something different with the third one...and people still complain like crazy (at least based on the stuff I've seen on Twitter). I guess you just can't please certain people. No matter what you do.

Personally I enjoyed the movie. Do I plan on seeing it again? No. But I had a good time in the theater.

P.S. Don't leave when the credits roll. Wait a bit.

"Fast & Furious 6"

I can almost imagine Justin Lin shooting the movie and saying to himself: "I have to top Michael Bay, I have to top Michael Bay, I have to top Michael Bay".

This movie contains some insane action sequences and pretty much every action shot shows that Lin was heavily influenced by Bay. I liked the movie and will probably see it again on the big screen. But I have to say that the action is getting "too" over the top. It's just too unbelievable....even for this franchise. Oh, and let's not forget the ending that takes place on the looooooongest runway in the world. A lot of people seem to complain about that damn runway and honestly I don't blame them. It is a bit silly.

Still, a fun action movie. You like the previous one? You'll like this one too.
    I saw those as well the other day and enjoyed them! yes so what if Hangover 2 was a rehash like Evil Dead 2 (which was excellent) or Die Hard 2 (which was excellent) but three improved so far.

Fast 6. Good movie, but I enjoyed Fast 5 a little more.

And that runway was indeed ridiculous. It took me out of the scene a few times because it just kept going and going.

The Place Beyond the Pines. An OK movie. It has three clear stories one after another, taking place in the same town and is about the same thing. I thought it would be a movie about Ryan Gosling robbing banks, but that's not the case. I'll give it 3 out of 5 points.

The Great Gatsby 3D. Well this one sucked old sport as Leo would have said in the movie. And the words "old sport" have big part in the movie. After Leo has finished every line 50 times with those words, he starts to sound like a broken record. Then at the end when he has said them a 100 times more, it literally gets annoying. The script writer must have those words printed on his forehead! Then the 3D sucked. It was barely noticeable. It did absolutely nothing to boost this movie to a better experience. So if you are gonna see this, do it in regular 2D, you won't miss anything. Yeah, and it's also about 30 minutes too long. So all and all, I'll give it a weak 2 out of 5 points just because of the costumes and scenery of the movie. I've seen it once and I'll never see it again.