Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

Default Re: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

The Immigrant (2013)
    Good movie.

Default Re: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

Captain America: The Winter Solider - Meh. Nothing surprising. Typical action Marvel movie. I give it a 6/10.
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

Quote Originally Posted by swishbig View Post
    Captain America: The Winter Solider - Meh. Nothing surprising. Typical action Marvel movie. I give it a 6/10.
    I've never heard the words "meh" and "Marvel" in the same sentence before.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I still put Avengers above it, but still a great movie.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I still put Avengers above it, but still a great movie.
    But "meh" was a sentence of its own.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    Here:

Captain A-meh-rica

So now you've heard it. Lol

Kidding aside I thought it was a good movie. He just looked weak towards the end when he took two or three bullets to the torso. And the next thing was waking up in the hospital. I mean he's supposed to be Super Soldier. Other than that good movie.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 in 2D. Went to the premier last night and had high hopes for the movie after what I had seen in the trailers. Well, the movie didn't live up to those expectations. Sony pulled a classic trailer trick and put almost every action scene in those trailers including the very last scene in the whole movie. But when Spidey action turns to Peter and Gwen and Peter searching for his fathers work and Peter and aunt May, the movie slows way down. Because it drops so much speed from time to time, it feels a bit too long. The action scenes are very good and very well done and you kinda wanna keep the Spidey pace through out the movie just like Cap 2: The Winter Soldier does, but it doesn't happen.
    I wanted to see it 3D, but the Swedish cinema company SF Bio couldn't come to terms with Sony and UIP of the 3D version and now they'll only show the 2D version in every Swedish major city.
    I was hoping and expecting to come out from the movie theater with a wow feeling, but came out a bit tired instead. I'll stretch to a weak 3 out of 5 points. Cap 2: The Winter Soldier is better and I expect it to show it at the World Wide Box Office numbers against Spidey 2.
    There's only one bonus scene during the credits and it has nothing to do with Spidey or The Avengers. The scene is from X-Men: Days of Future Past.
    Hopefully Spidey 3 will have the Sinister Six to take on Spidey and we'll get a two hour action flick that has good pace through out the movie.

^ the ASM2 movie toys look real crappy too. I mean they look blocky with not enough curvatures. And Spidey's all buffed up when he's supposed to be slender. The paint jobs also look cheap!

I mean I'm glad I got myself the Spidey movie fig from ASM1. Even though its got the yellow eye lenses which is not really comic book accurate. But who cares? It's way better than the ASM2 one in everything else.

Noah in 2D. An OK movie, but the story has more holes than a Swiss cheese. There story is that all humans and animals are inbreds. So when you see some red neck trailer trash hillbilly on some TV-show saying he's having a baby with his sister or cousin, don't think that it's just sick and disgusting, it's how the humans came to be according to the Bible.
    2 out of 5 points.

Watched some movies that I missed out on the past year.

Runner Runner - Ben Afleck, Justin Timberlake
    Was a relaxing movie. That's all I have to say. Nothing spectacular about it. But it's not exactly a bad movie, if you know what I mean.

World War Z - Brad Pitt
    Was an exciting movie. But it wasn't very original. Many elements that were present in the movie had long been present in Japanese Zombie video games. Also towards the end, it reminded me of the DOOM movie.

The Wolf of Wall Street - Leonardo Di Caprio
    I loved Leonardo's performance. He's just so natural with whatever role he's been given to play. As for the story, it's a typical guy (or group of guys) who reached the top and wasted everything away because he/they had so many addictions.

Vikingdom
    This movie was just fun in spite of the incredibly poor special effects. And it's such a coincidence that I watched it at a time when there were new religious Christian movies here and there.
    Vikingdom basically tells the story of gods from Norse mythology who have come to earth to punish mankind, because people have stopped worshiping them and have begun worshiping Jesus instead. LOL
    Thor (not the Marvel Thor of course, but their version of the mythical God of Thunder) was the main villain in this movie. And upon his arrival to earth he stole a pendant which belonged to Mary Magdalene (yes the mother of Jesus). LOL

The Conjuring - I rarely watch horror films nowadays because they're so cliche! After hearing mainly positive reviews about this film, I agree that it indeed is pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by swishbig View Post
    The Conjuring - I rarely watch horror films nowadays because they're so cliche! After hearing mainly positive reviews about this film, I agree that it indeed is pretty good!
    The Conjuring was a good horror movie. I have to say that the actress Vera Farmiga gave a really good performance. Other not very cliche horror movies that I enjoyed over the last few years were 100 Feet starring Famke Janssen and The Devil Inside.

However, if you really, really want a good scare -- like if you're serious about getting scared -- then there's a whole wealth of Asian horror movies from countries like Japan and Thailand and they're top notch scary. There was this Thai horror flick that I watched a few years ago (I can't quite remember the title anymore), and I didn't even finish watching it. Because it was so scary that it wasn't even fun anymore.

Drug War (CHN)
    Is a really good Chinese drug trafficking action movie.

The Patrol (GBR)
    Total garbage British army film.

Violence (KOR)
    Good South Korean martial arts film.

The Cat (KOR)
    Good South Korean horror movie.

Amazing Spider-man 2 (USA)
    Amazing special effects with spot-on Spidey peronality and great humor. But the trailers just gave too much away.

Thumbs up Re: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

WHITEWASH movie

Though the movie was basically about a snowplow operator who accidentally kills a guy one night while driving and then he goes on to cover it up and hides himself from the authorities -- nothing so special because we've seen this time and time again in movies (someone commits a crime, and then of course he covers it up or goes into hiding next). But I find the movie really profound. Because it's the events prior to the killing that's really what the movie was all about and the underlying message. It's a good movie.

Divergent. Reminds of The Hunger Games in a way that it's about a young girl who's first weak, but learns how to fight and falls in love in a guy.
    But the movie is better than The Hunger Games, cause it's set in a futuristic Chicago compared to where ever The Hunger Games takes place and the first thing that I thought of when the movie begins is that, there's the hotel I stayed in when I was in Chicago and there's where Optimus flew in with his Jetpack.
    The movie is a bit too long though and the thing that slows it down is the time they show of the training that the girl does in the faction that she chooses to join. If you have nothing else to do and wanna spend nearly 2 hours 20 minutes in a movie theater, grab bucket of popcorn and a soda and watch an OK youth flick. I'll give it a 3 out of 5 points.

JOE - Nicolas Cage

Was an okay movie. It was really slow paced bordering dullness. But it gets kinda touching in the end.

Amazing Spider-Man 2. Electro was awesome in this, Didn't really like the other two villans though.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
    -John Wayne (The Shootist)

Quote Originally Posted by MrX View Post
    Amazing Spider-Man 2. Electro was awesome in this, Didn't really like the other two villans though.
    I saw that and it was fun despite flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by frolunda71 View Post
    Divergent. Reminds of The Hunger Games in a way that it's about a young girl who's first weak, but learns how to fight and falls in love in a guy.
    But the movie is better than The Hunger Games, cause it's set in a futuristic Chicago compared to where ever The Hunger Games takes place and the first thing that I thought of when the movie begins is that, there's the hotel I stayed in when I was in Chicago and there's where Optimus flew in with his Jetpack.
    The movie is a bit too long though and the thing that slows it down is the time they show of the training that the girl does in the faction that she chooses to join. If you have nothing else to do and wanna spend nearly 2 hours 20 minutes in a movie theater, grab bucket of popcorn and a soda and watch an OK youth flick. I'll give it a 3 out of 5 points.
    It is quite a decent movie i should say.

The Shadow on collector's edition blu-ray: who remembers this forgotten underrated superhero gem? based on the 40's magazine character and radio play character, this is an enjoyable and well made period fantasy mystery film with Alex Baldwin and Ian Mckellen in it. I saw this in theaters when it came out and enjoyed it, the new blu-ray looks very good on HD and all that.

Beavis and Butt-Head Do America: loved this since i saw it 4 times in theaters and one of my favorite animated movies, such a hilarious and well written animated comedy. Nice voices even by Ultra-Magnus himself Robert Stack with Bruce Willis, Cloris Leechman and Demi Moore with a great soundtrack by Rob Zombie, Issac Hayes, Ozzy Osbourne, AC/DC and so much more.

Encino Man: another one of my favorite comedies growing up and a pure guilty pleasure, Brandon Fraser is funny as the title character and co-stars Sean Astin and Pauly Shore, saw this 2 times in theaters and loved it.

Pearl Harbor Director's Cut: i saw this 3 times in theaters in it's theatrical cut and i really enjoyed this war movie, quite emotional at times and loaded with action during the bombing part. The DC is almost better than the theatrical cut no doubt. Kate Beckinsale is quite lovely in this movie and i saw this a week before my truck driving dad took me to Omaha then Florida to Disneyworld/Universal. This is quite an underrated movie with stunning effects and a decent story too plus from the writer of Braveheart.

Dick Tracy on blu-ray: one of my favorite comic book movies, saw this 3 times in theaters as a kid and had some of the stuff and the film looks good on HD and what a nice cast especially Al Pacino. Say what you want about Madonna in this movie but i don't care, i had a big crush on her when i saw this movie as a kid as she with Tiffani Theissen on Saved by The Bell and Sharon Stone in Total Recall were my "sexual awakening" at the age of 9 and help brought me to manhood and when she came out in that scene wearing a see-through dress with her epic tits nearly visible, holy shit! then i saw Body of Evidence 5 years later and i went wild when i saw her nude that movie, sure she may not be a great actress even if she is a decent singer but man oh man back then her body was incredible.

Jury Duty: one of my all time guilty pleasures since seeing it twice in theaters in junior high and i thought it had funny moments, it's a fun comedy that is a spoof on 12 Angry Men with Pauly Shore, Charles Napier, Shelly Winters, Stanley Tucci and even the saucy Tia Carrera who i thought was sizzling. It's about a jerk who can't find the right job until opportunity knocks when he is called for jury duty for the trial of the decade of an accused man who they thought killed 13 innocent people. However Shore's character helps with the hotel that he is staying in as he gets a grand suite with free room and board as he wants to hold the trial on so he can get the free things he wants until his mom and stepdad return from their Vegas honeymoon yet he has to change his ways.

Lightyears aka Gandahar: one of my favorite animated movies since i was 11 when i rented it on video and it's one of my first exposures to adult animation after Watership Down, Simpsons, Black Cauldron, Starchaser and some others pre-anime. This French-Korean 1988 Sci-fi fantasy is based on Issac Asmovis's novella and it is from the man who made Fantastic Planet, this can be viewed on youtube as it has no official DVD or blu-ray release yet but i think Criterion/Lionsgate should do a SE blu-ray of this movie. This movie was spoofed in an episode of Futurama and has gained a cult following over the years, it's worth watching for fans of adult animation and this movie could had been one of the inspirations to James Cameron's Avatar since he is a fan of animation/Rene Laloux. This 1988 European animated gem is kind of a cross between Avatar, Frank Herbert's Dune, Ferngully, Heavy Metal and Nausicaa as the film is very imagination and has a nice cast like Bridget Fonda, Terrence Mann, Pen and Teller, Glenn Close and all that in the English dub to the film.

Captain America 2: Here is the best of the MCU phase 2 series with everything but the kitchen sink and delivered on all levels. Saw this 4 times in theaters already now.

Dazed & Confused

Wow. American teenagers in 1970s were really like that?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    I saw that and it was fun despite flaws.
    What did you think of the the villains? Loved Electro, a nobody becoming a supervillain, Very well acted. Didn't particularly like the green goblin. I had hoped it would've been Norman rather than Emo Harry, and the only reason he was there was to kill off Gwen Stacy. Rhino was a complete disappointment. He really didn't have that much of a role in the movie. A lot smaller than what the Trailer led me to believe.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
    -John Wayne (The Shootist)

METPO (RUS)

A 2013 Russian action film that kinda reminds me of the 2011 US film SANCTUM, just minus the conspiracy and people were trapped in a subway tunnel instead of an underwater cave. An okay movie.

Watched a couple of movies I missed out on in 2013 and then went to watch...

Godzilla (2014)

A lot better compared to the first US Godzilla movie. I liked the story, the characters, and I find Godzilla really cute. But Pacific Rim still trumps this in my opinion.

Godzilla in 3D. What a fucking disappointment! The title should be Has Anybody Seen Godzilla? Two hours long and you see him ten minutes tops! There are two other monsters in the movie and it's all about them and the army's attempts to kill them. Godzilla is purely a background thing! Then the story is right out the window. Like humans would just let him live after the monsters have leveled San Francisco to pieces? Yeah right. Had high hopes for the movie and it was a total let down. The movie is supposed to be about Godzilla and it takes 90!!! minutes before you see him fight! If you wanna see this one, you can might as well save your money and wait till it comes on some cable channel on TV. The 3D was OK and so was the effects as well. But as a monster movie that was supposed to be about the King of Monsters, it was total failure. I'll give it 2 out of 5 points and I ain't gonna get it on Blu-ray.
    If you wanna see a real monster movie with really cool fights, then there's only one movie to see. Pacific Rim! Compared to this one, it crushes this one to tiny pieces!

X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST

What an incredible movie. I was never much into their trailers, even with their first movie. But am always impressed with how their movies turn out. Very original take on many things including the Sentinels. Quicksilver was awesome. And the ending was epic.

Theres a credit scene at the very end so you'd have to wait long enough in your seats. But you have to be a comic buff to understand the credits scene.

Tom Yum Goong 2 (THA)
    Good Thai martial arts film. The lead actor is well known Muay Thai actor, and it's always nice to watch his movies.

Child of God (USA)
    Was a really great movie directed by James Franco and he co-starred in it as well. It was just awesome.

I just watched Godzilla for the second time yesterday except this time it was in IMAX 3D. That shit was too cool! The whole building literally shook every time Godzilla roared. The 3D was top notch too! I think the overall movie was better the second time around. Definitely gonna buy this when it comes out on Blu Ray.