Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

Default Re: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

THE CONJURING 2 (2016)

Excellent Horror Movie! What can I say?

Senior Member Bot of Badassness's Avatar

Default Re: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

It was brilliant! I loved it! Best horror sequel ever made? I think so.

I also saw Now You See Me 2 this week. Everyone should see The Conjuring 2 over that boring, confusing, convoluted, mess of a movie. Utter rubbish. You can tell the studio were trying to get Radcliffe fans to see the flick, the guy did absolutely nothing at all. You could take him out of the movie and it wouldn't be any different.
    Top 10 Movies of 2016: Hunt for the Wilderpeople, 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, The Conjuring 2, Finding Dory, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Deadpool, Zootopia, The Nice Guys, Me Before You, Lights Out.

It was epic.

I thought it was going to be mediocre, but I was blown away!

It was very thought-provoking, especially for the skeptics. This movie will make you think about demon haunting or possession from a different perspective. Because in the past horror films simply depicted demons as almost just animals that are not really sophisticated-minded. They just possess or haunt their victims and made themselves openly known even to the exorcists.

Here it is not. It was sophisticated-minded. It played the humans. And it made a lot of sense. If you were a demon of course you would want people to not believe that you exist. Only your victims would know of your existence. And you would want everyone else to think that this “victim” of yours is making things up and is just a hoax.

It was worth every buck. I had a good scare. I had a really good scare. The set was great. The cast were great. The demon was frightening. You guys go watch The Conjuring 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Bot of Badassness View Post
    It was brilliant! I loved it! Best horror sequel ever made? I think so.

I also saw Now You See Me 2 this week. Everyone should see The Conjuring 2 over that boring, confusing, convoluted, mess of a movie. Utter rubbish. You can tell the studio were trying to get Radcliffe fans to see the flick, the guy did absolutely nothing at all. You could take him out of the movie and it wouldn't be any different.
    Not quite but it's up there.

Ever heard of Evil Dead 2, Dawn of the Dead (1978), Scream 2, Aliens, Hellraiser II, Critters 2, Gremlins 2 etc. other quality second films in franchises.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    WE ARE MONSTERS (2015)

Is a real bad “rape/torture” movie. It’s a failed attempt at bettering “I Spit On Your Grave.” It just failed on every level.

THE CORPSE OF ANNA FRITZ (2015 – SPAIN)

Is a real good “necrophilia” movie. It’s not perfect. Like there were a few flaws, but I can’t speak about the flaws without spoiling the film. So you better just watch it. It is good.
    I Spit on Your Grave 1977 is more shocking than We are Monsters as even House on The Edge of the Park is.

Corpse of Anna Fritz, sounds like Nekromantik (1987), ever seen that one? that one is one seriously fucked up in the head film.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Not quite but it's up there.

Ever heard of Evil Dead 2, Dawn of the Dead (1978), Scream 2, Aliens, Hellraiser II, Critters 2, Gremlins 2 etc. other quality second films in franchises.
    I'll give it to Dawn of the Dead and maybe Scream 2. I haven't seen Hellraiser II but the others aren't really horror films, they're sequels but they're not scary. Evil Dead II is more of a dark comedy while Aliens is action.

The Conjuring 2 was both a great movie and terrifying.
    Top 10 Movies of 2016: Hunt for the Wilderpeople, 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, The Conjuring 2, Finding Dory, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Deadpool, Zootopia, The Nice Guys, Me Before You, Lights Out.

I saw Independence Day: Resurgence last night. Following up on the first one was going to be tough, but this one does what it's meant to do: be an awesome, fun, massive sci-fi adventure.

Nearly all of the major characters from the first movie are back, and even some secondary characters, which are nice touches for fans of the first movie.

I was pretty happy with the pacing - I was a bit worried that the opening half hour or so could be slow with the set-up. In terms of plot, I could follow what was going on easily enough, and knew what people were doing and why.

VFX-wise, I was pretty satisfied with the quality of what was on-screen, even though some of the aliens were a bit iffy (possibly because of the slimy/glistening textures that sometimes don't quite look right).

If you want to just sit back and enjoy a massive spectacle and have fun, I recommend it.

FINDING DORY (2016)

Great film. Great family movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    FINDING DORY (2016)

Great film. Great family movie.
    Indeed, excellent sequel and an improvement over the good but not great Good Dinosaur (Pixar's first box-office bomb as there is a first time for everything).

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Magnus View Post
    I saw Independence Day: Resurgence last night. Following up on the first one was going to be tough, but this one does what it's meant to do: be an awesome, fun, massive sci-fi adventure.

Nearly all of the major characters from the first movie are back, and even some secondary characters, which are nice touches for fans of the first movie.

I was pretty happy with the pacing - I was a bit worried that the opening half hour or so could be slow with the set-up. In terms of plot, I could follow what was going on easily enough, and knew what people were doing and why.

VFX-wise, I was pretty satisfied with the quality of what was on-screen, even though some of the aliens were a bit iffy (possibly because of the slimy/glistening textures that sometimes don't quite look right).

If you want to just sit back and enjoy a massive spectacle and have fun, I recommend it.
    Watched the original on the 20th anniversary 2-disc SE 4K remastered blu-ray and it looks and sounds like it was filmed last year with it's new restoration and i was 15 when it first came out and saw it 4 times. I enjoyed this sequel and did it reminded you of Transformers The Movie and Aliens at times? the new mothership was like Unicron in some way as the sphere alien was a mix of The Autobot Matrix and Krannex in some way. Even the queen alien was like the one in Aliens.

Watched the original on the 20th anniversary 2-disc SE 4K remastered blu-ray and it looks and sounds like it was filmed last year with it's new restoration and i was 15 when it first came out and saw it 4 times. I enjoyed this sequel and did it reminded you of Transformers The Movie and Aliens at times? the new mothership was like Unicron in some way as the sphere alien was a mix of The Autobot Matrix and Krannex in some way. Even the queen alien was like the one in Aliens.
    I posted in the BD acquisition thread that I've got the 20th Anniversary BD, and it was amazing, with detail and sound that I've never seen and heard before, and I've seen ID4 dozens of times on VHS and DVD. I can only imagine what the 4K version would be like to experience with a big 4K TV and home cinema sound.

I didn't really get a Transformers vibe from IDR, although I can see how the alien harvester ship's landing was kind of Unicron-esque with its artificial gravity field pulling up objects from the ground as it landed. I didn't think of Unicron at all when watching it, though.

I liked the Independence Day take on an alien queen. It's been likened to having a kaiju... with shields and a gun!

Independence Day: Resurgence 3D. By a coincidence I saw this last night on the 4th of July and it didn't ad any feeling to the movie.
    It was on OK movie, nothing more. Being an Roland Emmerich film, it had a lot less destruction what I thought it would have. Only two cities are seen destroyed and none of them are American cities. :O
    Maybe they didn't want to show the same thing again as they did in the first movie. Visually it's awesome and the 3D was pretty good also with a pretty good depth feeling compared to the standard 3D feeling that I have felt in a couple of movies that I have seen at the movies this year.
    Story wise what is there to say. In 20 years humans have taken the alien tech that was left behind last time and created hand held laserguns, fighter spaceships and spaceships with hyperdrives. .
    The acting and the script isn't exactly Oscar material, but then again who expects that from an Roland Emmerich film.
    It's like Starship Troopers meets Independence Day. And the cliffhanger ending hints that the third movie will be something like Stargate meets Starship Troopers meets Independence Day.
    Two out of five points. Grab your snacks and sodas and go and see it if there's nothing else to see at the moment.

Independence Day Resurgence. HUGELY disappointing.
    The 1st movie is in my top 5 all time favorites. I've seen it a hundred times, and i can't watch without quoting it.
    I still remember watching the original super bowl trailer. When i saw that shot of the White House getting destroyed, i was hooked.

While there were a few things i liked, the bad far outweighted the good:
    -The absence of Will Smith was an even bigger distraction that i thought it would be and his death was treated as an afterthought, which pissed me off considering he was
    such a huge part of the original. Also, The fact that the guy playing his son had absolutely none of Will's charisma, toughness, or humor made it even worse.
    He was just a random guy. Same goes for the rest of the "new" cast. They were all pretty lame.
    -The destruction scenes were so damn great in the original. When those ships showed up, you really felt the sense of dread and panic.
    Those same scenes in Resurgence were none of this. Made worse again by the fact that what you saw in the trailers was basically what you got in the movie, nothing more. You'd figure that with a ship 1/4 the size of Earth, we'd get a lot more destruction than what we got but........ Nope.
    -Vivica Fox shouldn't even have picked up the phone when they called her.
    -The lame set up for a sequel which we probably won't get now, and that's probably a good thing.

Watching this movie just made me want to watch the original again.

The Legend of Tarzan 3D. A good movie. Good story, good acting and visually very good. The CG animals are very good, but not as good as they were in The Jungle Book. The story is predictable, but it's still good and I specially liked that the tribal people in the Kongo spoke their own tribal language and looked like real tribal people. Sam Jackson is the one who provides the funny parts in the movie. Alexander Skarsgård is good as Tarzan and Christoph Waltz is a typical bad guy that we have seen before and reminds a bit of his character from Inglourious Basterds.
    The 3D was also good with good depth that really can be seen in a couple of landscape scenes.
    All and all, a good movie well worth seeing. So grab your popcorn and sodas an enjoy an adventure with the King of the jungle.
    3,5 out of 5 points.

Jason Bourne. The fifth Bourne movie and fourth one with Jason Bourne is just like the previous ones. Basically non stop action jumping from city to city and from continent to continent in a blink of an eye. The screenplay ain't gonna win any Oscars, but the action is good and it's a lot old school style with minimum CGI scenes involved. A good Bourne action movie where it's just better to leave the brain at home and not think of stuff like why haven't they captured him on some airport before and why did the see him now and stuff like that.
    Just grab your snacks and sodas and sit down and watch an two hour action flick with a Jason Bourne who has gotten a bit old compared to the previous movies. And of course, just like the previous ones the ending leaves an opening and the credits start with the fifth mix of Moby's Extreme Ways.
    3,5 out of 5 points.

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

"Independence Day: Resurgence"

I pretty much agree with what Tim said here. The first one is just heads and tails above the sequel. In every department.

By the way, all these comparisons between Michael Bay and Roland Emmerich...after this movie, they should just stop. I've been saying it for a few years now, Emmerich changed big-time after "The Patriot". His big movies post-2000 are nothing but stage work, observing shots from the air and huge, huge amounts of green screen. Bay, on the other hand, shoots as real as possible, he goes from city to city, he gets down and dirty, and you can feel it even in the effects-heavy "Transformers" franchise. Not to mention Bay's ability to put the viewer in the middle of the action, instead of presenting him with nothing but observing helicopter shots.

So aside from the fact that he also makes mainly big movies, Emmerich is nothing like Bay. Not anymore. As far as his filmmaking approach is concerned, he's way too artificial now. Even his explosions are CG.

It was painfully obvious that the majority of the scenes in "Independence Day: Resurgence" were shot on a stage with green screen. I have nothing but respect for the people working on these types of movies, but on this one, IMO, the visual effects team didn't do a good job with all the green screen sequences. The background looks so artificial and fake that it's hard to believe they spent close to $200 million on the making of the picture.

I like Emmerich, but he can definitely learn a thing or two from Michael Bay.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Ghostbusters 2016, Childhood perfectly fine when I left the theater. It's got a few bad moments here and there but nothing overall terrible. About as Good as Ghostbusters 2 or a bit better. The Four characters Blended very well with each other.

Star Trek: Beyond : Way better than Into Darkness,
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
    -John Wayne (The Shootist)

Suicide Squad 3D. An OK movie that looks visually good, but the story is paper thin. The story isn't so much about the squad. It's more about Deadshot, Rick Flag and Harley Quinn and a whole bunch of firefights where they burn a ton of ammo. The rest of the squad are just along for the ride and are more or less pointless characters. One even gets killed faster than you can say damn. And if it wasn't for Harley Quinn, the movie would pretty much suck. She basically is the movie. Not even close of being the best Superhero movie made so far. Joker is OK, but in this one he's a full blown psycho, a clear Section-A.
    And this one had pretty poor 3D. It's post-converted to 3D and it's clearly not the best conversion ever made. You can as well watch it in regular 2D and it won't make any difference. There are also a couple of alternate scenes that are either cut in a different way or completely left out compared to all the trailers that has been released. Joker is the one who has suffered the biggest loss in the cutting room.
    There's an extra scene after the visual credits and it sets up for Justice League.
    2 out of 5 points.
    Here's a Suicide Squad that would be 10 times better if it ever got made!

Right now Marvel is leading DC by ten miles of how good their Superhero movies are...

Star Trek Beyond 3D. An OK movie, but not as good as Into Darkness in my opinion. Visually very good and with good post converted 3D, but not as good as it was in Into Darkness. The story isn't very good. It's co-written by Simon Pegg and based on this movie, he should stick to acting.
    Much of the same thing as it was in Into Darkness. The USS Enterprise gets blown to pieces once again and a big ship crashes into a city at the end just like in the last movie. The best scene in the whole movie reminds quite a bit of Quicksilver's "Sweet Dreams" song scene in X-Men: Apocalypse, but in this one it's Beastie Boys "Sabotage".
    J.J. Abrams left big shoes to fill after his Star Trek movies and Justin Lin's feet were not big enough to fill them.
    2 out of 5 points.

Just saw War Dogs. It was obviously hugely influenced by Pain & Gain.

Quote Originally Posted by frolunda71 View Post
    Suicide Squad 3D. An OK movie that looks visually good, but the story is paper thin. The story isn't so much about the squad. It's more about Deadshot, Rick Flag and Harley Quinn and a whole bunch of firefights where they burn a ton of ammo. The rest of the squad are just along for the ride and are more or less pointless characters. One even gets killed faster than you can say damn. And if it wasn't for Harley Quinn, the movie would pretty much suck. She basically is the movie. Not even close of being the best Superhero movie made so far. Joker is OK, but in this one he's a full blown psycho, a clear Section-A.
    And this one had pretty poor 3D. It's post-converted to 3D and it's clearly not the best conversion ever made. You can as well watch it in regular 2D and it won't make any difference. There are also a couple of alternate scenes that are either cut in a different way or completely left out compared to all the trailers that has been released. Joker is the one who has suffered the biggest loss in the cutting room.
    There's an extra scene after the visual credits and it sets up for Justice League.
    2 out of 5 points.
    Here's a Suicide Squad that would be 10 times better if it ever got made!

Right now Marvel is leading DC by ten miles of how good their Superhero movies are...

Star Trek Beyond 3D. An OK movie, but not as good as Into Darkness in my opinion. Visually very good and with good post converted 3D, but not as good as it was in Into Darkness. The story isn't very good. It's co-written by Simon Pegg and based on this movie, he should stick to acting.
    Much of the same thing as it was in Into Darkness. The USS Enterprise gets blown to pieces once again and a big ship crashes into a city at the end just like in the last movie. The best scene in the whole movie reminds quite a bit of Quicksilver's "Sweet Dreams" song scene in X-Men: Apocalypse, but in this one it's Beastie Boys "Sabotage".
    J.J. Abrams left big shoes to fill after his Star Trek movies and Justin Lin's feet were not big enough to fill them.
    2 out of 5 points.
    Suicide Squad are more anti-hero than superhero

Some of the summer movies I've seen

Everybody Wants Some!!

That's pretty neat. Such a cheerful & affectionate letter to youth.

Jason Bourne

I enjoyed it, but this one was the weakest film in the series. Overall unimpressive tautology.

Suicide Squad

I hoped the badass riot and all I got was sappy and dull mess. Geez, what a terrible dud.

Free state of Jones. After seeing the trailer, I thought it would be an action packed civil war movie. Well, that wasn't exactly the case. 90% of all action scenes can be seen in the trailer. Then there are weird jumps 85 years forward to a court house where somebody stands trial and you just sit and watch and try to understand what the hell is going on. Then it jumps back to the civil war again. That messes up the story completely.
    Mathew Maconnahey or how ever you spell his name, is good, as is the rest of the cast as well.
    An OK movie, nothing more. Wait till it comes on some cable channel if you wanna watch it, so you don't have to spend your money on movie tickets.
    2 out of 5 points.

The Magnificent Seven. This is a reboot of the Magnificent Seven movie from 1960 with Yul Brunner and Steve McQueen, this time starring Denzel Washington and Chris Pratt. A good western movie with a lot of action. In the final battle I think they kill more guys than all the Clint Eastwood westerns combined!
    Worth watching if there's nothing else to watch at the movies at the moment.
    3 out of 5 points.

Snowden. A good movie about Edward Snowden and how he became an NSA worker and how he revealed for the press that everything we do with our computers and cellphones is being watched and recorded by the NSA. Definitely worth watching cause after the movie you'll wanna close your Facebook account, throw away your cellphone and put a piece of sticky tape on your laptops camera if you don't want the NSA to monitor you all the time.
    Good story with good acting. 3 out of 5 points.

Quote Originally Posted by frolunda71 View Post
    The Magnificent Seven. This is a reboot of the Magnificent Seven movie from 1960 with Yul Brunner and Steve McQueen, this time starring Denzel Washington and Chris Pratt. A good western movie with a lot of action. In the final battle I think they kill more guys than all the Clint Eastwood westerns combined!
    Worth watching if there's nothing else to watch at the movies at the moment.
    3 out of 5 points.
    it's a remake, not a reboot

it's a remake, not a reboot
    Remake, reboot, re-what ever. It's all the same. They do a movie that has already been done once before. Cause Hollywood has no new ideas for new movies. It's 2016 and apparently EVERY idea for a movie has already been made at least once.