Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223

Thread: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

Default Re: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

Quote Originally Posted by frolunda71 View Post
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2 in 3D. A really good movie. If you liked the first one, then you are gonna like this one as well. A really good story that shows the background for several characters and where they are from. Visually it's off the hook. It's just awesome. The funny parts are there as well, just like in the first one. 3D was very good! Very good depth. So if you like to watch 3D movies, then this is worth seeing in 3D.
    The music is from the 80's, but not as good as it was in the first one. When the credits start to roll, just stay in your seat. There are no less than FIVE post-credit scenes!
    Overall a very good space action comedy well worth seeing and worth a good 4/5 points!
    Excellent sequel indeed, almost surpassrs the fist one and wasn't it cool to see Stallone and Russell in it years after Tango and Cash plus also Rooker and Stallone in a Cliffhanger reunion? and did you see Howard the Duck's cameo? he is a Marvel character afterall.

Default Re: What Movies Have you Seen Lately? (Part 5! What DOES G*d need with a starship?)

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Excellent sequel indeed, almost surpassrs the fist one and wasn't it cool to see Stallone and Russell in it years after Tango and Cash plus also Rooker and Stallone in a Cliffhanger reunion? and did you see Howard the Duck's cameo? he is a Marvel character afterall.
    I was actually surprised how much screentime Stallone had in the movie. Nice catch on the Tango & Cash and Cliffhanger reunions. Didn't think at all of those things during the movie.
    Yeah, I saw Howard the Duck again.
    James Gunn has said that there are a lot of Easter eggs in the movie and some are almost impossible to find out what they are.
    Wonder if that discovery of yours on the Tango & Cash and Cliffhanger reunion has something to do with it?...

Alien: Covenant. This is the "sequel" to Prometheus, a movie that left us with a few questions and that we hoped this movie would give answers to.
    Well did it answer those questions? No and yes and no again. Did we learn more of the Engineers and why they developed the alien black ooze weapon in the first place? No. Did we learn more of the Xenomorphs and of their existence and development? Yes. Did we get an answer to how the aliens ended up on LV-426, the planet in the original Alien movie? No.
    So what to make of Covenant then? It's still a good movie. Good story with a nice little twist, even if the ending is very predictable and it has some continuity problems as well. Visually very good and the actors are good too, even if it's more or less a bunch of no-names except for Fassbender who plays two roles in the movie as the androids Walter and David. Character development is close to zero, cause lets face it, they are all alien food more or less. I mentioned continuity problems before, and there are at least two. Three if we count in LV-426 from the original Alien movie as well.
    One is the development of the chestbusters. In this one, they are more or less miniature models of a full grown Xenomorph. In Alien it's like a lizard kind of thing before it grows to a black Xenomorph. Therefore their evolution goes backwards. Then there are the androids. First we got David in Prometheus. A little psycho android. In Covenant we got Walter. A more helping android who won't harm humans. In Alien we got the David version again in the form of Ash, before we get the Walter version again in Aliens in the form of Bishop. Why go back to the David version after Walter? Makes no sense.
    Then there's the Engineers ship on LV-426. We still don't know how it got there. Ridley Scott has planed to make FOUR more Alien movies and the next one will start to shoot next year and will be, hold for it. A sequel to Prometheus and a prequel to Covenant!! WTF????
    So, it looks like we will have to wait a long time to get the answer to how the Engineers ship with it's alien cargo ended up on LV-426.
    There are two prologue clips released to the Covenant. The first one isn't in the movie, and it shows the crew before they go to hypersleep.
    The second one is in the movie, but in a shorter version. It's not necessary to watch them, but it gives a little more understanding to David and how his mind works. The third link is to Ridley Scott's future Alien plans.
    All and all, I'll give Covenant 3/5 points.

Prologue 1.

Prologue 2.

Ridley Scott's future Alien plans.
    http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...ovies#/slide/1

Wonder Woman in 3D. A good movie that shows the story of Wonder Woman and where she came from. Good story, good acting, good comedy parts and visually very good with good 3D. The only downside is that there is no extra scene after the credits that could have linked it to the upcoming Justice League movie. But then again it's directed by a woman, so maybe she didn't know that there should always be an extra scene after the credits when it comes to superhero movies.
    A good 3/5, close to 4 points. Well worth seeing.

Transformers: The Last Knight in 3D. A disappointment when it comes to the hopes that I had after seeing the trailers. The story is a mess.
    It starts with Merlin. Played by Stanley Tucci, who played a character named Joshua Joyce in Age of Extinction. Like what? The same actor is two different characters in movies that are sequels in a way. They couldn't find anyone else to play Merlin like the no-name actors who play King Arthur and his knights at the round table?? Characters come and go without anything to tell who they are and they don't ad anything to the story like the WW1 tank which is at a castle and the kids seen in the trailer. The only kid who matters is the little J-Lo girl and her robot Squeeks. Why the other kids are in the movie I just don't know. The Decepticons are introduced in a way that is directly copied from Inglourious Basterds and are gone just as quickly as they were introduced except for Megatron who is now a jet and in a solid form compared to the liquid kind formable million piece metallic thing he was in Age of Extinction. Comic parts is mainly done by this C-3PO looking transformer, but it doesn't work at all and is just as irritating as Jar Jar Binks is in Star Wars in the end. It's poorly edited in at least three scenes where one example is a WW1 tank that transforms with parts falling off and falling all over the ground and then being transformed back to it's tank form off screen just a couple of seconds later totally intact.
    The 3D is a big disappointment. There are only a handful of scenes where the depth is really good. Other than that, it's totally neutral, close to being 2D. When seen in a normal screen, the picture changes size in several scenes, that I think is shot with a regular camera compared to the IMAX 3D cameras that the movie is mainly shot with.
    For the first time, I won't see a Transformers movie more than one time at the movies.
    Sad to say, but I can't give it more than 2/5 points. Can't say I left the movie theater feeling that I want to see the next one like right now...

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales in 3D. Or Salazar's Revenge as Disney has decided to call the movie in Europe for some unknown braindead reason. The movie follows the story of the previous Pirates movies with good action and very good visual effects and Depp is as good as captain Jack Sparrow as he has been before. Just maybe a little more drunk in this one compared to the previous movies.
    3D was OK. A good Pirates movie that ends the story most likely for good with a couple of known cameos at the end. There is a extra scene after the credits, but it's a bit tricky one. I think it can be found on YouTube and the explanation can be read at Colliders homepage where the director tells the meaning of it.
    Good 3/5 points and if you liked the previous ones, then you'll probably like this one as well.

The Mummy 3D. It's not a very good movie. The action is OK, but the comedy parts are like forced in a way. There's a guy who's Tom Cruise's work partner in the movie who's supposed to be the funny guy. But instead of being funny, he's trying to be funny, and that just doesn't work at all.
    The visual effects are good, but not that much better than in the previous The Mummy movie with Brendan Fraser that came out 1999.
    3D wasn't good, so it's just a way to get a little more money at the Box Office.
    The 1999 version is way better than this one. It had as good action as this one and with a lot better comedy parts than in this reboot.
    This one is what I understand the first movie in a thing called Dark Universe and the next one in that universe will be Bride of Frankenstein.
    All and all, I can't give this one more than 2/5 points.

Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D. This one actually surprised me in a very positive way. It's a very good reboot to the franchise!!
    Very good action, good story, very good acting, very good visual effects, good comedy parts and very good 3D!
    Tom Holland is very good as the new Spidey and Michael Keaton is very good as the bad guy.
    A very good reboot and a first movie of a planned trilogy! If you like Marvel superhero movies, then you wanna see this one!
    A good 4/5 points and I'm definitely gonna ad this one to my Blu-ray collection!
    There are two post-credit extra scenes, one after the animated credits, and one at the very end that in way tie the movie to the upcoming Avengers: Infinity War.

Baywatch. This is how Baywatch would have looked like if the TV-series would have been R-rated!
    There are almost as many F-words in it as in Scarface, and the comedy is purely of tits and dicks.
    The action was OK. The comedy parts was good. Got to laugh a few times. And the special effects are plain B-class.
    The Hoff and Pamela Anderson make short cameos in the movie.
    I liked it for the parody it is of the TV-series and hope they make a trilogy of the whole thing!
    3/5 points.

War for the Planet of the Apes 3D. This is the final chapter of the new Planet of the Apes trilogy. It was a good movie even when the title is a bit misleading. The trailers sure make you think something else what the movie turns out to be. The story is like a mix of Apocalypse Now and The Great Escape (1963). Visually the movie is awesome! Pure Oscar winning stuff!! If you wouldn't know better, you would think that there actually is apes that can talk! 3D was good, but nothing special. The story is the main issue. It has some major holes in it that are never explained and that is why I got to turn the numbers down a notch. I had high hopes entering the movie theater, and those hopes didn't quite get met. 3/5 points is what I can give it.
    I'm hoping for an Extended Director's Cut Blu-ray release since the trailers have at least two-three scenes that are not seen in the movie and what could have filled the holes in the story. But I don't think that will happen only cause the first two were not released in Extended versions at all...

Dunkirk 70mm. So it's time to review the movie with the biggest hype of them all. It's all 5/5, 10/10 4/5 9/10 reading the critic reviews. That's why I didn't have any high expectations before seeing the movie, cause me and the critics usually don't think the same. So what to say of it? It's a good movie and a very different war movie you have ever seen before cause it's rated PG-13. The movie is ALL about the sound! Without the sound it has, the movie would suck! There is minimal dialogue in the movie. All the characters are nameless and there is totally zero background to their characters. Visually it's very good, and the 70mm copy uses the screen to the max. There are very little special effects or at least they are very hard to see. Since it's shot in ordinary film, it has these scratches here and there just like in the old movies. Story wise it's a straight remake, ripoff, copy, call it what you like, from the movie Vantage Point (2008). Only that this one is set during WWII. There are three stories told from three different point of views and those are the ones of the ordinary ground soldiers, the Navy and the Air Force. When something happens, you get to see the same event from two or three different point of views. Just like in the movie Vantage Point. All and all it's a good movie that will probably get a bunch of Oscars, but in my opinion, it wasn't THAT good. If you see it, then see it on the biggest screen possible with the best sound system available cause it's all about the SOUND and the big picture.
    I'll give it 3/5 points. Nowhere near the best movie of the year as it's been told by the critics, but that's just me...

Baby Driver. A good movie with really good car chase scenes and good acting too. The soundtrack plays a big role in the movie and it's pretty good too. The story is OK, but the love story in it slows the tempo down a bit too much in a couple of scenes, but other than that, it has good action stuff.
    A good movie that's worth watching if there's nothing else to watch at the movie theater.
    3,5/5 points.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets 3D. This is the most expensive movie ever made in Europe with a budget of close to €200 million euros. With that they got a movie that is visually very good and with a story that is not so good and OK acting. Luc Besson has clearly seen his best days and this one is nowhere near his top movies Leon and The Fifth Element. 3D is a joke and clearly just a thing to make a couple of extra bucks at the Box Office. An OK movie that with all the visual effects looks very good, but lacks in the story, acting and the funny parts. The Fifth Element beats this every day of the week. 2,5/5 points.

Atomic Blonde. A spy movie set during the fall of the Berlin wall in Berlin. Charlize Theron is a bit like John Wick, but during the 80's in Germany.
    Good acting, good story, good John Wick style of action, visually authentic 80's looking, a couple of good funny parts and good music. A good movie if you like spy movies and John Wick style of action. 3/5 points.

American Made. A very good action comedy with Tom Cruise! A very good "True Story" movie with great acting and very good funny parts.
    One of the best movies I've seen this year. An easy 4 out 5 points! If you wanna go to the movies and don't know what to watch, then go and see this one. Just the opening credits are the best ones ever made!

The Dark Tower. Not a very good movie. The story is full of question marks. No back story or explanations to why things are the way they are what so ever. The characters are paper thin at best. "The man in black" can just do his magic stuff like it's completely normal. The same goes for "The Gunslinger". A kid comes from Earth to his world and he acts like it's an every day thing. All the funny stuff is out the window cause it's just not there to begin with. Action is ordinary PG-13 action seen in every other PG-13 rated movie. The only good thing is that it's visually good looking.
    Barely worth 2/5 points. Highly doubt there will be any sequels even when there's a pile of Stephen King's The Dark Tower books to make another screenplay off...

IT - Chapter One. This is the new remake of the movie IT based on the Stephen King book with the same name. They have changed the year to 1988-89 only cause the IT attacks happen every 27 years, so people can figure out themselves what year it will be in Chapter Two.
    It was an OK movie. Good comedy and you'll laugh more than you will be scared. As a horror scary movie it's a 1/5 points. Not once did you get to jump out of your chair. There are maybe one or two BU! moments, but you'll see them coming a mile away, especially if you have seen the trailers, cause one of the scenes is in the trailer. The young actors are great and their sense of humor is all sex based and it's dicks this and dicks that all the time. The clown isn't scary at all, and I seriously hope they make Chapter Two more scary than what this one was. The visual effects are also good.
    All and all an OK movie with good funny parts and good acting by a bunch of "no name" actors, but as a scary movie very lame stuff.
    Barely worth 3/5 points and it's not for the scary parts for one bit...

American Assassin. An OK action movie. It's like an R-rated Jason Bourne type of movie with hand to hand combat fights and gunfights. Action is OK and the actors are OK too. The story isn't anything close of being original in any way and it has a couple of big holes in it and ends with an overkill ending. Barely worth 3/5 points. Remains to be seen if this gets to be a Bourne type of franchise. I guess it all depends what kind of money it can get from the worldwide Box Office...

Quote Originally Posted by frolunda71 View Post
    IT - Chapter One. This is the new remake of the movie IT based on the Stephen King book with the same name.
    IT is a Movie based off the Novel not the Miniseries that came out in 1990. I didn't find the film scary either, but then I read the book so I knew what was coming next. As far as this adaptation goes it's closer to the source material that the original miniseries. What IT loses in Fright factor it makes up for in performances. I thought the Child Actors did an excellent Job portraying the loser's club. As far asBill Skarsgård's performance as Pennywise goes I liked it. Tim Curry will always own that role but I really liked Skarsgard's take on the Character as well. There's bound to be an extended cut though as I could tell there were scenes deleted.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
    -John Wayne (The Shootist)

Quote Originally Posted by MrX View Post
    IT is a Movie based off the Novel not the Miniseries that came out in 1990. I didn't find the film scary either, but then I read the book so I knew what was coming next. As far as this adaptation goes it's closer to the source material that the original miniseries. What IT loses in Fright factor it makes up for in performances. I thought the Child Actors did an excellent Job portraying the loser's club. As far asBill Skarsgård's performance as Pennywise goes I liked it. Tim Curry will always own that role but I really liked Skarsgard's take on the Character as well. There's bound to be an extended cut though as I could tell there were scenes deleted.
    There will be an Director's Cut and it will be about 15 minutes longer.
    http://collider.com/it-directors-cut-blu-ray/

IT: Chapter 2 has got an release date and it will be on September 6th, 2019.
    http://collider.com/it-2-release-date/

Blade Runner 2049 in 3D. What to say? Denis Villeneuve isn't Ridley Scott. That's for sure. This was one of the movies that I was looking forward to see this year, but it was a big disappointment. Visually it's very good and the actors are great, but the storytelling is way too long and it has the speed like watching paint dry. There's not gonna be any deleted scenes on the DVD/Blu-ray extras cause there's no way Villeneuve left anything on the cutting room floor. It's easily at least 30 minutes too long. There's a bunch of scenes that could have easily been cut out without losing anything in the storytelling. The original wasn't much of an Sci-Fi action movie, but at least it had some action. This one has almost all the action scenes in the trailers. It's talk, talk, talk and not much else. The 3D is a joke. Another director who doesn't know jack shit of how to use 3D for one bit and it's clearly just to make more money at the Box Office. Early rapports say that this one is gonna be a Box Office flop and it's no wonder when the majority of the people go to the movies to be entertained for about two hours and not to fall a sleep in the movie theater seat.
    The score is what it is. Sometimes you barely hear it, and then bam! it's full volume.
    If this is the end of Blade Runner, then so be it. I'm not gonna miss this one. If they do make another one, then I hope it will be shorter and have more action than what his one had. 2/5 points is what it's worth in my book and it's not gonna end up in my Blu-ray collection.