Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Mummy reboot.

Default The Mummy reboot.

Just one question. WHY?!!!! :head

http://www.deadline.com/2012/09/len-...-of-the-mummy/

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Default Re: The Mummy reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by frolunda71 View Post
    Just one question. WHY?!!!!

Why?

For one, they've been "rebooting" it since the first "Mummy" from 1932. This is a franchise not by sequels, but by remakes and reboots. They're just doing what the guys before them were doing - same story, new approach. And speaking for myself, as a fan of the "Mummy" films - I'm looking forward to it.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post

Why?

For one, they've been "rebooting" it since the first "Mummy" from 1932. This is a franchise not by sequels, but by remakes and reboots. They're just doing what the guys before them were doing - same story, new approach. And speaking for myself, as a fan of the "Mummy" films - I'm looking forward to it.
    They rebooted a film that was over 65 years old at the time.

I'd say that's a pretty decent amount of time to wait to reboot something.

Thanks to everybody running out to see a reboot of Spiderman after only 10 years, it gave Hollywood the okay to reboot absolutely everything now, and it's a damn shame.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    They rebooted a film that was over 65 years old at the time.

I'd say that's a pretty decent amount of time to wait to reboot something.

I assume you talk about the Stephen Sommers version. Well, that's not the first reboot/remake. The first reboot is from 1940 - just 8 years after the original with Boris Karloff. The name of the movie is "The Mummy's Hand". So as you can see even back then they were in a rush to make reboots, semi-reboots and remakes.

It's been that way for decades, so I see no reason to complain.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post

I assume you talk about the Stephen Sommers version. Well, that's not the first reboot/remake. The first reboot is from 1940 - just 8 years after the original with Boris Karloff. The name of the movie is "The Mummy's Hand". So as you can see even back then they were in a rush to make reboots, semi-reboots and remakes.

It's been that way for decades, so I see no reason to complain.
    And that type of attitude is exactly why there's no almost originality left in Hollywood today.

"The Mummy's Hand"? You must've Wikipedia'd that.

Nobody knows about the original Mummy(I had no idea until you brought it up), just like nobody knew about the original Scarface. Why? Because several decades went by before they were remade. Exactly the way it should be.

And that type of attitude is exactly why there's no almost originality left in Hollywood today.

A movie doesn't have to be original in order to be entertaining.

"The Mummy's Hand"? You must've Wikipedia'd that.

Or...I'm actually prepared when I discuss movies.

Just because I'm on michaelbay.com doesn't mean that I only watch movies made after 1995's "Bad Boys". I've seen the original "Mummy" at least 5 times and yes, I've seen "The Mummy's Hand" too. It ain't exactly hard to find - the entire movie is uploaded on YouTube.

Nobody knows about the original Mummy(I had no idea until you brought it up)...

Well, now you're aware of that movie. You can thank me later.

Why? Because several decades went by before they were remade.

As I already said, the first "Mummy" reboot was made just 8 years after the original. Just because you, for some reason, don't want to accept that doesn't mean that the reboot movie is not out there. It is out there and it was even followed by sequels.

My question is why does a movie need a reshoot, or a reboot?

"Michael Bay is made out of rainbow powder"

Quote Originally Posted by Aliafne View Post
    My question is why does a movie need a reshoot, or a reboot?

Very simple - money. If it's something recognizable people will say "Hey, this sounds familiar. I want to see how it's been updated"...or something along those lines. It's easier to reboot than create something completely original. If it's original it's a huge risk. People always want original stuff, but I can point out many movies who were completely original...yet they flopped at the box office. And that says a lot.

So from a business standpoint it's better to reboot a movie. That's the bottom line.

Yeah, I totally understand Bayhem when you say it's all about the money. In these hard economic times world wide, it's understandable that Hollywood don't wanna take big risks with new movies with new ideas and instead bet on safe things as rebooting old movies. But still, these reboot things are getting on my nerves. I for one would like to see some new things, so why not give Brendan Frasier a bag of cash and make a Mummy 4 instead with the cast of the three previous movies...

Yeah, I totally understand Bayhem when you say it's all about the money. In these hard economic times world wide, it's understandable that Hollywood don't wanna take big risks with new movies with new ideas and instead bet on safe things as rebooting old movies. But still, these reboot things are getting on my nerves. I for one would like to see some new things, so why not give Brendan Frasier a bag of cash and make a Mummy 4 instead with the cast of the three previous movies...
    Like Mummy 4 would be original and wouldnt be produced because of money :lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Aliafne View Post
    Like Mummy 4 would be original and wouldnt be produced because of money :lmao
    Of course it would be original. They would have to make up a whole new story for the movie and they still would be able to use the old cast.
    And of course it would be produced to make money. I think that producing money is the bottom line for most movie company's in Hollywood.

I think that producing money is the bottom line for most movie company's in Hollywood.

Well, it's called show business for a reason. It's always been about money.

And these days even indie filmmakers (like Kevin Smith and Richard Kelly) talk only about making money. And who can blame them? If your movie makes money you go up. It's really that simple.

The critics can hate your movie but they don't decide whether you'll be allowed to make another one. The box office (which is basically the general public) dictates that. Michael Bay is the perfect example - critics, movie buffs and bloggers hate his films, but the general public clearly like his films. That's why he's continuously successful. And that's why every time they make a chart of the most successful filmmakers you see his name on it.

You don't achieve that kind of enormous success unless you have a huge audience behind your back. Huge audience = more money. More money = more movies.

Having money to be invested in a movie and obviously wanting a rate of return on that is one thing. Its how every business works. Somebody has the money, somebody has the idea or the tools, they meet, the co-exist. But when the only reason of a movie's producing is money - thats another thing and then you'r doing it wrong.
    The many ways of a movies reception is again something else.

Movie studios want to make money?

I had no idea.

I was interested until Len Wiseman's name came up. I can't and won't judge it until I see it, but I had hoped that we might get a new Mummy film that's actually a monster movie, as in a horror film with a monster in it. Having the Underworld and Total Recall guy direct it just makes it sound like we're getting another action film using monster movie archetypes. It seems like no one in Hollywood understands that these classic monsters belong in horror films, and no it's not just vampires and werewolves.

I'm not saying the movie will be bad, but some of my hopes have been dashed a little. The classic monster horror films have serious potential in them, and it's so often wasted that it's disheartening. I seriously think the Universal Monster pantheon could be for horror what Marvel's Avengers films have been for superheroes lately. They just need the right people involved who can see that potential, and know how to tap into it.

Whether this guy is one to do it, well, we'll have to wait and see. I'd like to see some of the other classic monsters revived. The Creature from the Black Lagoon comes to mind in particular. And yet, I don't know if it's a bad thing or a good thing that they haven't been resurrected yet, because I'd rather they were treated with respect and intelligence than turned into fodder for more of this scare-less action movie stuff that's passed off as monster movies today.

Of course it would be original. They would have to make up a whole new story for the movie and they still would be able to use the old cast.
    And of course it would be produced to make money. I think that producing money is the bottom line for most movie company's in Hollywood.
    There was this joke on Episodes which reminded me of this.

Situation is that on an other channel there is a successful show with a talking dog. So the producers are having a pitch session where the head producer asks.
    - You think its possible that we can actually find something different from the same crap that is killing us now? Is that to much? I want one goddamn fresh idea... yes Andy?
    - What other animals can talk?

'The Mummy' Gets High-Profile Summer 2016 Release; 'The Huntsman' Also Dated
    Directed by "The Walking Dead's" Frank Darabont, "The Huntsman" will hit theaters in late April 2016.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamela McClintock
    Universal is pushing back the release of its reboot of The Mummy by two months in order to give it a high-profile 2016 summer berth, while, at the same time, making a home for Frank Darabont's The Huntsman.

Returning Chris Hemsworth in the title role, The Huntsman will debut in theaters April 22, The Mummy's old home. The Mummy will now debut June 24.

Deadline Thursday June 26, 2014:
    Frank Darabont In Talks To Direct ‘Snow White And The Huntsman 2′

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    'The Mummy' Gets High-Profile Summer 2016 Release; 'The Huntsman' Also Dated
    Directed by "The Walking Dead's" Frank Darabont, "The Huntsman" will hit theaters in late April 2016.

Deadline Thursday June 26, 2014:
    Frank Darabont In Talks To Direct ‘Snow White And The Huntsman 2′
    It's not gonna be Snow White and the Huntsman 2. It's simply gonna be The Huntsman and it's gonna be a PREQUEL to the first movie and Stewart won't be in the second one cause she slept with the director of the first one and then went back to her Twilight boyfriend, so she's gone for good.
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=121288

‘The Mummy’ Reboot Synopsis Teases a “New World of Gods and Monsters”
    And that new world is apparently in London.
    Thought safely entombed in a crypt deep beneath the unforgiving desert, an ancient queen (Sofia Boutella of Kingsman: The Secret Service and Star Trek Beyond) whose destiny was unjustly taken from her, is awakened in our current day, bringing with her malevolence grown over millennia and terrors that defy human comprehension.

From the sweeping sands of the Middle East through hidden labyrinths under modern-day London, The Mummy brings a surprising intensity and balance of wonder and thrills in an imaginative new take that ushers in a new world of gods and monsters.

Russell Crowe Joins Tom Cruise's 'The Mummy,' Predicts It Will "Scare the Shit Out of You"
    The actor says he will play Dr. Henry Jekyll in 'The Mummy.'

Default The Huntsman: Winter’s War

It's not gonna be Snow White and the Huntsman 2. It's simply gonna be The Huntsman and it's gonna be a PREQUEL to the first movie and Stewart won't be in the second one cause she slept with the director of the first one and then went back to her Twilight boyfriend, so she's gone for good.
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=121288
    Universal 'facing $70m loss' on The Huntsman: Winter's War
    Fairytale prequel endures disappointing opening weekend and could mark a rare misstep for studio that broke box office records in 2015

THE HUNTSMAN: WINTER’S WAR Review: Bad, But In A Good Weird Way
    Both a prequel and a sequel to
    Snow White and the Huntsman

I just said in one of the threads here sometime back that they could make the Mummy female and she could be Cleopatra or something like that. And now it seems they're going with this direction. Except only the Mummy's just an 'ancient queen' without being too specific as to who it was. did they just copy my idea? LOL

‘The Mummy’: Alex Kurtzman Confirms ‘Dracula Untold’ Is Not Canon, Teases Jekyll’s Role
    Plus, whether or not Universal aims to bring back the 'Creature from the Black Lagoon.'

The official trailer 1.