Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Randoms

Mind: California. Body: Somewhere between US & Europe.

Default Re: Randoms

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    Damn these journalists. They want box office facts? The Usual Suspects - $24 million - 4 times over it's budget. (Singer's best)
    X-Men - $300 million - 4 times over it's budget.
    X-Men 2 - $400 million - 4 times over it's budget. (best X-Men movie ever)
    Superman Returns - $400 million - almost 2 times over it's budget. (many people hate this one but I love it)
    Valkyrie - $200 million - almost 3 times over it's budget.
    Jack the Giant Slayer made almost 1/5 of it's budget ($40 million) in it's first weekend.

We're talking about his big-budget movies. His smaller movies can't save him if his bigger movies don't deliver the $$$. That goes for all directors.

Fact is, "Superman Returns" is considered a box office disappointment. Warner lost money. The head of the studio talked about it. The expectations were huge, the budget was huge...and the movie end up making little over $390 million worldwide. That's really bad for a movie of this size. To put things in perspective, the first "Transformers" made over $300 million in the States alone.

"Valkyrie" did good worldwide but it was not hailed as a huge box office success. Some say the $80 million budget is actually a $100 million budget. Not to mention the money for marketing. After all, it was a Tom Cruise vehicle.

Thing is Albershide, the first few days are the most important days, box office wise. Ask anyone working in Hollywood. The first weekend is extremely important and it's a clear indicator of how a movie would perform. That's the reason it is duscussed so much and because of it people are able to make accurate predictions. "Jack the Giant Slayer" is following the "John Carter" pattern. It's very, very expensive and considering the budget and the marketing cost it'll have to make $500 million in order to be called a "success".

At this point though, $500 million is only a dream.

We all remember what Brett Ratner did!

Well, he directed a movie that made over $450 million and it still stands as the most successful "X-Men" movie. Just because the "X-Men" crowd hates it doesn't mean that all people hate it. It's a funny situation - the hardcore fanboys bash it and Ratner is laughing all the way to the bank. Kinda like Bay and "Transformers"...
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

but X-men 3 still sucks and Bryan Singer is still good filmmaker despite of box office numbers.

Mind: California. Body: Somewhere between US & Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by greensmoke View Post
    but X-men 3 still sucks and Bryan Singer is still good filmmaker despite of box office numbers.

No one says that Singer is a bad filmmaker. Just because the facts (read "numbers") are sometimes against him doesn't mean that people bash him. And there's a difference between a "personal opinion/view" and "facts". It is a fact that "X-Men 3" is a successful movie (in terms of box office).

"It sucks" or "It's great" - that's not a fact. Never was a fact, never will be a fact. That's a personal opinion. Unfortunately some people on the web still think that "opinion = fact". Thankfully I'm older now and I'm not that ignorant. That's why when I talk about movies/music/books in most cases I keep my opinions to myself and I rely mainly on cold, hard facts to support my statements. And in this case, the box office numbers are the facts.

If Singer's new movie picks up speed then more power to him. But at this point things are not that good at the box office.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

No doubt that Jack the Giant Slayer will be a box office failure but still the movie will make over it's budget. What I meant was that Bryan Singer will be still a very wanted director after that. He is just too good to be ignored. I hope after X-Men DOFP he would return to small movies like The Usual Suspects.

Of all the one night only midnight showings they could do,they do this?

http://www.regmovies.com/promotions/sharknado

Quote Originally Posted by Hardkore View Post
    Of all the one night only midnight showings they could do,they do this?

http://www.regmovies.com/promotions/sharknado
    Trust me, if there's any movie that deserves a midnight showing, it's Sharknado.

I've seen it, and it's probably the greatest bad movie I've ever seen. SyFy outdid themselves with this one.

While I haven't seen it ,I know a few that did. They said it was so bad they couldn't stop laughing thru the whole movie. The entire time we were talking they kept shaking their heads at how bad it was. I'm not entirely sure if I want to go ahead and rent this one (I have to work Friday night so I would end up missing it in the theater). Then again I did pass up on all the other "shark" flicks(Sharktopus,Two Headed Shark,etc.). I haven't seen an Asylum movie in a long time.
    They couldn't believe me when I told them that Syfy/Asylum was planning a sequel.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-sequel-587636

I do believe Universal's Dracula starts production today. For those of you not in the know, it's a sort of reboot, sort of prequel (preboot?) that tells Dracula's origin story using elements of the historical Dracula as inspiration. As for this "preboot" business, the best example I can think of is Rise of the Planet of the Apes. It reboots the franchise, but it's disguised a prequel.

I've read a draft of the screenplay, back when it was called Dracula: Year Zero and was likely to star Sam Worthington, and I think it has potential. It's sort of a dark fantasy movie really, and in the draft I read, the classical vampire powers and weaknesses are not only intact, but it's explained where they come from.

Some of you are probably thinking, "Why another vampire movie?" This one, however, likely won't be another Twilight or something of that ilk, and it's really not "just another vampire movie" anyway. If they play their cards right, Universal could finally revive their classic monsters without botching it (like Van Helsing).

In Star Trek TOS,I wonder who got more girls,Kirk or this guy...

http://www.blastr.com/2013-9-17/imag...redshirt-world

2014 will be the first year since 2005 that doesn't have a Pixar movie released. I'm a little bummed, but if the aim is to make sure they have the best film possible, then I'm all for it: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...=entertainment

The Live Action Jonny Quest Movie Is Not Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda Ge
    We haven’t heard much about Peter Segal’s live action adaptation of 1960s cartoon Jonny Quest, but speaking to Coming Soon recently about his new movie Grudge Match, the director insists it’s very much still in the works.

In fact, it may even be his next movie, Segal says:

I would love to make that my next movie…We just hired a writer to do another pass. We already have a very good script. Then we go through budgeting hell and trying to get it into shape.

Warner Bros Moving To Elevate Production Pair After Lynn Harris’ Exit
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fleming
    In the wake of Lynn Harris exiting Warner Bros as EVP Production, possibly to join Jeff Robinov’s shingle that’s taking shape at Sony, veteran Warner Bros execs Jon Berg and Courtenay Valenti are in the process of being promoted, I hear. Word is that Berg might have a supervisory role in DC Comics movie transfers, but all of this should become clear over the next couple of weeks.
    Lynn Harris Exits Warner Bros Exec Post; Could A Jeff Robinov Re-Team Be In The Cards?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fleming

Warner Bros EVP Production Lynn Harris is leaving the studio after a ten year run there. One of the smartest execs in town, she has long been rumored for top posts in all sorts of places, to the point where, each time I’d call her she would say, “Where am I going now?” The most recent speculation was that she could wind up in a high post at Disney after Alan Horn left Warner Bros to take over that studio. Harris will stay until June 1, and she will oversee Godzilla, Jupiter Ascending, and Blended through their conclusions. The early speculation now is that Harris might go and rejoin Jeff Robinov in his new Sony deal, for which he is still raising money. They worked well together on Alfonso Cuaron’s Gravity, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes him that long to get things up and running. Harris said she hasn’t decided on anything yet.

Harris leaves after having her best year at the studio. She has a great relationship with filmmakers and had a strong hand in films from David Fincher’s breakthrough film Se7en, Paul Thomas Anderson’s Boogie Nights, and the Blade series at New Line, to such Warner Bros pics as Man Of Steel, the Fincher-directed Zodiac and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, the Steven Soderbergh-directed Contagion and Magic Mike, the Spike Jonze-directed Where The Wild Things Are and many others.

There is always fallout when regimes change at studios as happened at Warner Bros when Robinov exited last summer, and when you are a candidate for that top job and it goes to someone else, the next step is often elsewhere. This marks the second respected female executive to exit the Warner Bros ranks in quick succession, after Sarah Schechter left to run Greg Berlanti’s WB-based film and TV company. While Robinov has taken most of the bows for pushing Alfonso Cuaron’s Gravity through the green light process, I’ve always heard that Harris was the unsung hero who kept it on track through all of its travails. So expect her next move to be a good one. Here is the internal memo just disseminated by Greg Silverman.

All:

It’s always hard when a valued colleague decides to leave the Warner Bros. family, especially one as well liked and respected as Lynn Harris. And in this case, it’s particularly difficult because she is not just a colleague, but a long-standing friend to everyone in our group.

Lynn has had a spectacular run — from BENJAMIN BUTTON and the TITANS franchise to MAGIC MIKE and MAN OF STEEL — and she was instrumental in bringing GRAVITY to the screen.

Most recently, Lynn shepherded GODZILLA, BLENDED and JUPITER ASCENDING for us and I’m pleased that she has agreed to continue consulting on those projects for the studio.

We, of course, support her decision to seek new challenges, and I personally know she will be as successful in her future endeavors as she has been during her tenure here at Warner Bros.

Greg

Default Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

UPDATE: Not So Fast On Declaring Sony Winner Of Hot Spec ‘Winter’s Knight’
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE FLEMING JR
    Ronning and Sandberg are directing what is one of the most expensive TV pilots in history, for the Netflix/Weinstein Company miniseries Marco Polo. And despite what I’m reading today about the Pirates Of The Caribbean sequel being shelved, the fact is that the Pirates sequel will begin at year’s end. Some of this solidification of Pirates is no doubt attributable to today’s spec action. If Disney sets sail in this timeline, Winter’s Knight would not happen until after Ronning and Sandberg finish the Pirates sequel. They’ve got other big fish on the hook as well, in terms of event pictures, so why would they get involved in this unless they get paid? Maybe Sony gets this, but let’s not dress for it just yet. Enough people in the mix are objecting strenuously enough right now and let’s face it, it isn’t really fair to them if their deal-making gets screwed up because of over-eager journos.

Default The Incredible Hulk of 2015

Mark Ruffalo Has Already Filmed Some HULK 'Motion Capture' For AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON

Marvel Could Start Releasing Three - Or Even Four - Movies A Year
    Kevin Feige explains the situation where Marvel could break out of their two-per-year plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin Faraci
    Guardians 2 (which might be Planet Hulk, by the way. Yes, I believe that is on the table. It may not be a true adaptation of the comic series, but don't be shocked if Hulk and the Guardians of the Galaxy cross paths).

There are plenty of movie news which are worth mentioning without creating separate threads. Hope this thread is useful.

Great first poster of Arnold's Last Stand!

Attachment 5835

Just tell me, isn't this the best come back leading role for Arnold? The synopsis sounds like we're back in the good old days.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/...ers-last-stand
    Another Look At The Last Stand – Look! It Moves! By Adi Tantimedh
    Guess what? It’s a good action movie. Perfectly good fun. It’s also a very well-directed action movie not getting enough credit.

Arnold Schwarzenegger on the honor of returning to both 'Conan' and 'The Terminator'
    We discuss the inevitable part of this phase in his iconic career

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN 5 Not Yet Given The Greenlight

Pirates Of The Caribbean 5 Not A Go Just Yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda Ge
    The Pirates of the Caribbean franchise certainly elicits its fair share of sneers from online film buffs, but the money speaks for itself when it comes to Disney justifying making more of them even as quality continues to dip and Johnny Depp is into island-buying money by now.

But it appears there’s no hesitation even on the studio’s end to make yet another one. Pirates 5 has been in the works for a long time, and even has directors attached, but at Disney’s conference call about its finances today, CEO Bob Iger cautions it’s not quite there yet:

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Graser
    Disney's Bob Iger says that the fifth Pirates of the Caribbean film has not yet been given the greenlight.
    Though a matter of greenlight could change in an instant, if they have story, director, cast, etc. lined up.

But even franchise star Ian McShane didn’t seem so confident on the film ever happening last month, even mentioning how it’s been announced, and then pushed back, announced, and then pushed back, etc.

I’m not sure, but I don’t think too many people – at least online – will be mourning this one.

Default Re: FBP: FEDERAL BUREAU OF PHYSICS

OLIVER MAKES WEIRD SCIENCE IN "FBP: FEDERAL BUREAU OF PHYSICS"
    Quote Originally Posted by JEFFREY RENAUD
    It's been nearly a decade since Simon Oliver launched "The Exterminators" for Vertigo Comics. And like the insect-infected world featured in his debut hit, illustrated and co-created by Tony Moore of "The Walking Dead" fame, the one he's building with artist Robbi Rodriquez in "FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics" is heading towards a mass extermination. Except in his latest creator-owned series for Vertigo, a far more powerful menace lurks in the shadows -- and that menace is physics.

"FBP" follows a team of investigators working for the Federal Bureau of Physics as the physical world begins to unravel thanks to quantum tornadoes, bubbleverses and a new brand of science that would have left the Beastie Boys needing to expand their horizons and parameters far beyond what they previously believed possible.

In seven issues to date, Oliver and Rodriguez have delivered a mystery literally spiraling out of control and one that is based, at least in part, on real science. Not bad for a kid that used to get reports card stating: "He does okay but he could do better."

With the series going on a one-month hiatus to coincide with the release of its first collected edition on February 19, CBR News connected with Oliver to discuss the real-life scenario that appears to mirror the events of "FBP," why knowing what wormholes and time dilation is may make the series even more enjoyable and how long the writer believes the series will run.
    VERTIGO'S "COLLIDER" NOW TITLED "FBP: FEDERAL BUREAU OF PHYSICS"

Collider a.k.a. FBP: FEDERAL BUREAU OF PHYSICS to get the feature film treatment, courtesy of David Goyer!

Warner Bros Taps ‘Jungle Book’ Scribe Justin Marks To Adapt Vertigo Comics’ ‘Federal Bureau Of Physics’

David Goyer Joins James Cameron for 'Fantastic Voyage' (Exclusive)
    The project has been quiet since 2011 but Goyer's involvement kick-starts and will re-engineer what the studio and producers hope to be an event-sized tentpole. It is also now placing the project on the fast track.

AICN:
    JUPITER ASCENDING has been delayed from its planned release in just a few weeks on July 18th to now February 6th, 2015.