Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guardians of the Galaxy

Default Guardians of the Galaxy

With the Mass Effect movie still in development the only sci-fi movie based on a huge Universe (as Star Wars and Star Trek) is Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy. Marvel surprised everyone with this movie because the comic books of the GOTG are fairly unpopular and the characters are unrecognizable. Big part of the huge success of The Avengers was that the audience was already familiar with all the characters. Still this move makes the project even more interesting.

The studio hired a new writer and here is the only released image so far (concept art).

And short description of who is who:

Drax the Destroyer (far left), a human resurrected as a green warrior with the sole purpose of killing Thanos (the villain in the Avengers final-scene tease); Groot, a giant tree-man; Star-Lord (middle), a gun-toting half-human/half-alien intergalactic vigilante; Rocket Raccoon, a genetically engineered animal with a knack for guns and explosives; and Gamora, the last survivor of her species who was saved by Thanos to be his assassin but now battles him.
    Obviously the Guardians will fight Thanos trying to introduce him for Avengers 2 which is already confirmed. And this is the big let down for me. If the Guardians fight Thanos and Thanos is already confirmed to appear in Avengers 2, does that mean that the Guardians will fail in their attempt? Does that mean that we already know how the movie ends? I guess the answer is yes. Here take a look at one of the comic book stories:

The Thanos Imperative
    When the universe is invaded by the alternate universe, "Cancerverse," on the other side of the fault, the Guardians take Thanos to the Cancerverse in an attempt to end the war early. Along the way, Drax attacks Thanos and is killed. They are ultimately successful at ending the war, but Thanos is left enraged and promising to kill everyone. Along with Nova, Star-Lord remains in the collapsing Cancerverse as the other Guardians escape.

After the death of Star-Lord, the Guardians disband. Still believing in their cause, Cosmo recruits another team under the name "Annihilators." Rocket Raccoon and Groot later reunite and decide to continue the Guardian's legacy after the duo prevent an incident on Rocket's home world, Halfworld. The new team is Rocket, Gamora, Bug, and mysteriously ressurrected Star-Lord and Drax. During a battle with the Badoon, the team learns a ressurrected Thanos is attacking Earth, and go to help the Avengers.
    Everything is just wild guesses for now. Personally I can't wait for a new and fresh outer space sci-fi movie. Hope they won't disappoint.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...-marvel-357868

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    Obviously the Guardians will fight Thanos trying to introduce him for Avengers 2 which is already confirmed. And this is the big let down for me. If the Guardians fight Thanos and Thanos is already confirmed to appear in Avengers 2, does that mean that the Guardians will fail in their attempt?
    Hmm, actually it won't be a let down. Quite the opposite. The more I think the more I'm convinced that Marvel will actually use the unpopular characters from Guardians of the Galaxy as canon fodder only to introduce Thanos for the general audience. This way they won't waste any introduction time for The Avengers 2. If I'm right then we're about to get a comic book movie in which the bad guys actually win at the end. Cool, eh?
    Makes sense, right? If this turns out to be the case then remember that you've heard it here first.

Hmm, actually it won't be a let down. Quite the opposite. The more I think the more I'm convinced that Marvel will actually use the unpopular characters from Guardians of the Galaxy as canon fodder only to introduce Thanos for the general audience. This way they won't waste any introduction time for The Avengers 2. If I'm right then we're about to get a comic book movie in which the bad guys actually win at the end. Cool, eh?
    Makes sense, right? If this turns out to be the case then remember that you've heard it here first.
    It makes a lot of sense, but at the ending scene, Thanos didn't seem to be at his best.
    Maybe the bad guys will win but suffer some serious damage too. Or a mysterious ending where no one is actually sure of who won hahaha!

But the concep art looks great, and it would be very interesting how they will deal with the giant tree and raccoon.
    Although no one can go back and make a new beggining, anyone can start again and make a new end.
    http://www.songoftheyear.com/results/tiffanynoest.html

Quote Originally Posted by tseon View Post
    It makes a lot of sense, but at the ending scene, Thanos didn't seem to be at his best.
    Maybe the bad guys will win but suffer some serious damage too. Or a mysterious ending where no one is actually sure of who won hahaha!
    Also the resurrection in these type of movies is something normal.

Here is some more info about the characters:

Groot
    In the late fifties, Marvel Comics had fallen on hard times and laid off nearly its entire staff. In the months before 1961’s The Fantastic Four marked the rebirth of the Marvel superhero, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby turned out a parade of bizarre aliens and monsters that menaced American cities, with names like Monstrom, Krang, and Droom. And then there was Groot, the Monarch of Planet X, a walking and talking tree that consumed fences, cabinets, and barrels. Or, as one member of the panicking populace exclaimed, "A creature of wood, who feeds on wood!" He was primed to become the overlord of all the timber in the galaxy, had a shrewd scientist not thought to breed termites and let them loose on the barky beast. Over the next 45 years, Groot appeared exactly twice.

Drax the Destroyer
    After the evil alien Thanos — a.k.a. "The Mad Titan," a death-obsessed, craggy-faced bruiser from one of Saturn's moons — thought that pipe-smoking, saxophone-playing real-estate agent Arthur Douglas had blown his cover, he aimed a death blast at Douglas's car, killing him and his wife. Shortly thereafter, Thanos's estranged father merged Douglas's spirit with a bunch of earthen rubble to create the green, caped, and very powerful Drax the Destroyer, whose all-consuming mission was to destroy Thanos. Writer-artist Jim Starlin introduced Drax in the pages of Iron Man in 1973; within a month, Stan Lee had him removed from the title. In 1982, Marvel's editor-in-chief Jim Shooter wrote an issue of The Avengers in which Drax was killed. He remained dead for the rest of the decade, until Starlin revived him in the early nineties. Giffen, who dusted Drax off again in 2004, says that although he increased the character's intelligence, he remains "too macho for the room," noting, "I just turned him from a green imbecile into a green douchebag."

Gamora
    After Jim Starlin was booted from his Iron Man gig, he continued to chronicle the dastardly actions of Thanos in both Captain Marvel and Warlock. By this time, Starlin was having problems with editorial constrictions, and the 1975story in which the alien assassin Gamora debuted was, in part, a metaphor about Marvel Comics as a purveyor of conveyer-belt junk. Green-skinned and decked out in a fishnet unitard cut down to the navel, Gamora wielded a dagger and called herself "the Deadliest Woman in the Whole Galaxy," but when she tried to slay her adoptive father Thanos, he killed her instead. She was out of the picture for nearly a decade and a half, until — as he had done for Drax — Starlin raised her from the dead.

Star-Lord
    Test pilot Hal Jordan became the Green Lantern when a dying alien bestowed a powerful ring upon him. Astronaut Peter Quill, on the other hand, achieved the Star-Lord power a little more dishonestly — by taking out his compatriots with a rifle, hijacking a rocketship, and flying off to visit the godlike Master of the Sun. Steve Englehart, who created the character in 1976, intended to write a series of adventures for the hero — a love story on Venus, for instance, and a war story on Mercury. "I deliberately made him a complete asshole," Englehart says, "with the idea that I was going to write twelve stories about him as he worked his way through the galaxy, and by the end of it he would have become this great hero." But Englehart, citing editorial interference, quit Marvel Comics soon after the first issue was published. X-Men writer Chris Claremont experimented with a less prickly version of the character before abandoning it completely in 1981, and 23 years passed before he was revived again. However, the character's very name still carries the seeds of Englehart's sharp humor. "Peter Quill — Peter as a reference to a dick, and Quill as a reference to a dick," he explains. "I wanted him to be completely unlikable."

Rocket Racoon
    Originally named Rocky Raccoon, this gun-toting alien from "somewhere near the black holes of Sirius Major" debuted in a 1976 short story by Bill Mantlo and Keith Giffen in the back of Marvel Preview, a black-and-white magazine-size comic. The legal department was skittish about the prospects of a character named after a Beatles song, so five years later, when he finally returned for a guest appearance in The Incredible Hulk, he was given the sobriquet Rocket Raccoon. Writer Bill Mantlo received considerable amounts of hate mail for that issue ("Are you all regressing to your childhoods?" wrote five enraged University of Maine students), but in the wake of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles phenomenon in 1984, a four-issue Rocket Raccoon miniseries was green-lit. It was hardly a best seller; the character popped up exactly four times over the next two decades.
    http://www.vulture.com/2012/08/what-...axy-movie.html

Also the resurrection in these type of movies is something normal.
    Completely forgot about resurrrection
    Although no one can go back and make a new beggining, anyone can start again and make a new end.
    http://www.songoftheyear.com/results/tiffanynoest.html

Plausible plot summary?

“About a U.S. pilot who ends up in space in the middle of a universal conflict and goes on the run with futuristic ex-cons who have something everyone wants.”
    Anyhow, the “U.S. pilot” mentioned in the summary is likely Peter Quill, AKA Star-Lord. And the “futuristic ex-cons” are evidently the other Guardians - Drax the Destroyer, Gamora, Groot, Rocket Raccoon and other cosmic entities yet to be announced.
    Now the question is who will direct.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=65807

I hope the rumors are true and the really manage to get James Gunn to direct. He is a pretty good match for this movie. And I like how AICN commented the news:

If this pans out, congratulations to James Gunn for landing this movie. If there's anyone who can make you believe a raccoon can kick ass, it's James Gunn.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/57728

It's nice that they will keep James Gunn's wicked vision in this movie too. It'll make the movie pretty unique and different from the other Marvel movies.

Joss Whedon:

James is what makes me think it will work. I myself was sort of like, ‘Well, I liked Rocket Raccoon as a kid, but I’m not sure how that plays [to a wider audience].’ And then they said, ‘Well, we’re thinking about using James Gunn.’ And I said, ‘Oh, then no, you’re fine.’ He is so off the wall, and so crazy, but so smart, such a craftsman and he builds from his heart. He loves the raccoon. Needs the raccoon. This is the guy who wrote The Specials. People don’t understand how influential that movie was about heroes, about taking heroes and making them mundane. And [he directed] Super.
    He has a very twisted take on it, but it all comes from a real love for the material. It’s going to be hard for the humans to keep up. I know he’s going to come from left field and I’m going to go, ‘What?’ And then, ‘Of course, why didn’t I think of that?’ And then I’m going to beat him!
    http://collider.com/joss-whedon-guar...galaxy/194421/

Several possible names for the lead:

The derby to land the lead role of Peter Quill in Guardians Of The Galaxy has gotten even more interesting. Marvel Studios has added Joseph Gordon-Levitt to the list of actors they are considering for what is seen as its next major franchise launch. Deadline reported that Marvel had made test deals with Zero Dark Thirty‘s Joel Edgerton, Boardwalk Empire‘s Jack Huston, Cloud Atlas‘ Jim Sturgess, Lee Pace (who has roles in both Lincoln and The Hobbit), and Eddie Redmayne from Les Miserables. More recently, Zachary Levi was identified as a candidate.
    I’m not sure if Gordon-Levitt has been offered the role and nobody would comment, but he’s in the mix. He is just coming out of the superhero movie The Dark Knight Rises, which left him in an intriguing position as Chris Nolan’s film trilogy concluded.
    I would love to see Edgerton or Gordon-Levitt as Peter Quill.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/jose...e-galaxy-race/

Cool!

GOTG.jpg

Here's the crappy trailer that made the film just look down right stupid imo.
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

Have a feeling that this will be one of Marvels least successful movies. Sure it's fresh and not a reboot of something, but both Spider-Man 2 and Captain America 2 will kick it's ass at the world wide box office and for one good reason. 99% of worlds population have never heard of Guardians of the Galaxy and they have no idea what the movie is about or who the characters are.

Brilliant!

The only reason that people will watch this is because of the Avengers tie-in. Casual moviegoers don’t have an idea.
    It’s also very difficult to popularize a superhero team when it’s following the same formula as the Avengers, and Guardians of the Galaxy is such a team. It’s like a funny version of the Avengers -- only that and nothing more. It doesn’t have its own soul and identity.

Look…

Star-Lord is basically Captain America with "Guns" instead of a Shield.

Groot is a "Wood Man" instead of an Iron Man.

Gamora is basically the team’s “Lady" Thor.

Drax the Destroyer is the “Big Guy” of the team, ala Hulk.

and

Rocket Raccoon is the team’s Expert Marksman who wields laser pistols instead of a bow and an arrow. And of course he's a raccoon instead of a human, but still has Hawkeye written all over him.

This feels like a parody. Am I missing something here? Did the comic book series have a similar tone?

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    This feels like a parody. Am I missing something here? Did the comic book series have a similar tone?
    Pretty much, yes. A talking racoon, a gian dumb tree, bunch of weird aliens. It's got that tone written all over it.
    Don't worry, it'll have dark moments around, since Thanos is appearing in this one.

The reaction to this trailer is interesting. Usually when it comes to someone like Batman, or Spider-Man, people judge because they know the characters and the material and they want to see it treated well. With this, however, you have a bunch of people who have probably never read the material this film is based on all behaving in pretty much the same way. Everyone's judging how the material has been adapted without having a clue what the source material was really like. I mean, it's not like Rocket Raccoon was thrown in just for the movie. There's always been a sort of humorous tone, at least in the modern incarnation of the team which this film is based on.

We'll see how it goes. Hopefully it doesn't suck, and if it doesn't suck, hopefully it's successful. I think it can only be a good thing for Marvel to take chances like this. I'm just wondering what the eventual Inhumans movie is going to be like. Casting Blackbolt will be a challenge, that's for sure.

Bert Macklin. You son of a....

I'm in.

I know nothing about the comic, but this looks so awesome.

Ed Fuego
    "can you ban people who put other members quotes in their sig? if that is not a tell all sign that a person is going to be annoying i don't know what is."
    - thegreat

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

And people say that there's "unnecessary" humor in the "Transformers" movies...

It seems "Guardians of the Galaxy" will top it all.

Sure, it's only a trailer but it's pretty clear that this movie is not going to be "Batman Begins" (tone-wise). Which, in my view, is not a bad thing. I have no problem with this type of humor.

I'm not a fan of comic books, but on the other hand I enjoy watching comic book movies. So even though I don't know anything about "Guardians of the Galaxy" I'll probably see it on the big screen. Looks like a fun movie.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

The Guardians of the Galaxy comic books is something that don't sell. I have a friend who operates the largest comic book chain here in the country and he would usually give me GOTG trade paperbacks for free at the end of each year as he does inventory, because they're just collecting dust in his shops.

In fairness though, the comic books are not as corny as the movie trailer we've seen. Sure theres humor in the books, but because its a book, you don't hear the voices of the characters nor the tone at which they speak. Therefore everything is open to your imagination and that sort of makes up for the corny dialogues. Somehow you're in control of how you want the scenes to feel.
    The movie takes that sense of control away as the viewer becomes a mere passenger in this train ride.

Anyway, people are mainly gonna watch this because of Thanos and the Avengers connection. For me I just wanna see what the third Infinity Gem is going to be like... if it does appear in the movie at all.

Looks awesome and can't wait