Thread: Marvel's Ant-Man

Default Marvel's Ant-Man

From some time now there were rumors that the next Marvel character to get his own feature film will be the Ant-Man. The rumors were that Edgar Wright (Scott Pilgrim vs. the World) will direct. Love what he did with Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and Scott Pilgrim. In some recent interviews Edgar confirmed the rumors.

So as not to jinx things, I am going to remain spectacularly vague on this. Let’s just say I hope to shoot some Ant-Man & World’s End this year.
    So it seems that they could start production this year.

And here is Screenrant's interpretation of how things will turn out for the Marvel's characters in the future. It's pretty good.

• Our theory at this point is that Marvel movies will branch in two directions: Earthly espionage stories (Cap 2, Iron Man 3) and cosmic stories (Thor 2, Guardians of the Galaxy), all converging into the plot of Avengers 2.
    • Ant-Man is being envisioned as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, much like Captain America.
    • Captain America 2 will deal with Cap (alongside S.H.I.E.L.D.) dealing with worldly threats.
    • An Ant-Man movie would therefore tie perfectly with Cap 2 (and a potential S.H.I.E.L.D. movie).
    http://screenrant.com/edgar-wright-m...4-kofi-171883/

I personally love all of the Marvel's movies and can't wait to see a new character introduced. So the upcoming schedule for Marvel is:

Iron Man 3 - May 2013
    Thor 2 - Novembers 2013
    Captain America 2 - 2014
    Ant-Man - 2014
    Avengers 2 - 2015 or 2016

These are the confirmed ones. There are some rumors that there might be a S.H.I.E.L.D. movie somewhere in between these dates and also after the big success of the Hulk character from Avengers it won't be a surprise if we see a third Hulk movie with Mark Ruffalo before Avengers 2. So Marvel will be very busy in the following years. And don't forget about the X-Men and Fantastic Four franchises which will get sequels in the following years too.

Default Re: Marvel's Ant-Man

Cannes Film Festival right now is the hottest place for movie news. And there is a rumor that Ant-Man has already been green lit and will probably start shooting end of 2013 or first part of 2014. Can't wait to see Edgar Write's take on the character. Considering his previous work definitely the movie will have a big comedic element. It's understandable, after all it's about a man that can significantly reduces his size and has a helmet that can control ants.

From twitch film:

Rumblings in #Cannes are that @edgarwright's ANT MAN has been greenlit. #rumor
    By the way Henry Pym (Ant-Man) was supposed to appear in Thor as the friend that Dr. Selvig e-mails that had previous "experience" with S.H.I.E.L.D. His name was cut out of the scene.

'Ant-Man' Director Contenders Include Adam McKay, Ruben Fleischer
    "We're the Millers" director Rawson Marshall Thurber is also among the potential helmers, who offer a glimpse into the mindset of Marvel president Kevin Feige as he looks to fill the hole left by Edgar Wright, a favorite among the fan-boy community.

Adam McKay Is Directing ANT-MAN
    The saga concludes.

THR:
    It's Official: Peyton Reed to Direct 'Ant-Man'

THR:
    'Ant-Man' Director Contenders Include Peyton Reed, David Wain
    Reed is no stranger to the Marvel universe, having developed a "Fantastic Four" at Fox for years before falling off the project.

Peyton Reed's Fantastic Four 11/01/02
    ‘Fantastic Four’ Screenwriter Spills Super Secrets
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan J Downey
    How’s this sound as an opening sequence? Adoring groupies cram New York’s Fifth Avenue, hoping to catch a glimpse of the Invisible Woman and Mr. Fantastic, played by Charlize Theron and “Angel”‘s Alexis Denisof. The Thing, voiced by John C. Reilly, rips the top off an armored car and yanks out two would-be robbers. Paul Walker shouts, “flame on!” as his Johnny Storm character ignites into the Human Torch, saving a female fan from another thief’s rocket launcher.

Two hours later, just before the credits role on “The Fantastic Four,” New York’s favorite superheroes buzz away in their Fantastic Car, with Johnny dropping 8×10 photos to fans in a scene shamelessly lifted from the Beatles’ “A Hard Day’s Night.”

That’s what audiences will see if all goes according to plan for “Fantastic Four” screenwriter Doug Petrie, who together with director Peyton Reed (“Bring It On”) is bringing one of Marvel Comics’ most beloved properties to the big screen.

“The big debate between everybody was giant monster or no giant monster,” Petrie said of the flick’s proposed opening scene. “I wanted the poster for the movie to be the cover for the first issue, where basically you do a live-action version of a giant monster ripping through Fifth Avenue and Fantastic Four kicking its ass. For budget reasons, it went to something else, but it’s still a giant opening scene. It’s ‘A Hard Days Night.’ It’s everybody going to watch the Beatles.

Dude, do you ever discuss things or is it just all news, all the time?

How Marvel Became the Envy (and Scourge) of Hollywood
    Ike Perlmutter has become one of the town's most feared (and frugal) moguls. Now, as "Guardians of the Galaxy" takes the $6 billion-grossing brand in a new and risky direction, insiders open up about the never-seen executive's ironfisted style and the underside of a superhero empire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Masters
    When Marvel began financing its own movies, the company made unconventional choices for directors such as Jon Favreau (Iron Man) and Kenneth Branagh (Thor). But both are said to have moved on in large part because Marvel was not willing to make the type of deal directors expect after launching a franchise. Feige now seems increasingly confident in managing the movies himself, relying on fresh directors to execute his vision. "They actually do good things for these filmmakers," says one talent rep. "Who was Shane Black? But Iron Man 3 — totally entertaining."

When it comes to creative decision-making, a source with knowledge of the players says Perlmutter is largely reliant on the soft-spoken Feige, who has found a way to accommodate his boss while getting what he wants. "Kevin never says, 'I would pay you, but Ike won't let me,' " says an exec who has worked on the films. "He's kept to the company line — always loyal to Ike." But Perlmutter's longtime associate Alan Fine, president of Marvel Entertainment, runs the creative committee, and chief counsel David Galluzzi takes the lead on dealmaking.

As the highly detail-oriented man in charge of Marvel's creative strategy, Feige works closely with a team that includes Louis D'Esposito, who runs physical production, and Victoria Alonso, who handles effects and postproduction. The line between creative and production blurs on Marvel films. "Louis understands how films physically get made but with a more creative bent," explains one source. "He has sort of created a situation where he hires people almost apart from the director — a conceptual artist, this and that — because they're part of the Marvel brand." (Production designer Charles Wood, for example, moved from the Thor sequel to Guardians.)

While on most movies the power resides with the director and top stars, at Marvel those players have little influence. "They view the director as executing their vision," says an exec involved with the company. Another says Feige monitors filming so closely that rather than wait for dailies, he's often on set and "sees the takes as the directors see the takes."

Another distinctive Marvel trait is the assumption that a film can be shaped in postproduction, which is Alonso's domain. "If you're a director and 75 percent of the script is good, you have to rely on them to finish and complete the movie," says this observer. An exec with experience on Marvel movies concurs: "The approach is more like animation than live action — 'We can tweak it.' "

Underlying Marvel's success, says one talent rep, is that "they know what their brand is, and they stick to it. … The minute you deviate, like Patty Jenkins [fired in 2011 as director of the Thor sequel], they get rid of you." But this source notes admiringly: "They manage to not just change the outfits of their superheroes. They've actually created a Captain America brand versus a Thor brand versus an Iron Man brand."

The tantalizing question now is whether Marvel can create a Guardians of the Galaxy brand and an Ant-Man brand. "Now they're trying some lesser characters, and it's a little more creatively risky," says an executive with Marvel experience. "But who knows? If you can sell Captain America, maybe you can sell Ant-Man."

Just how big are the ants gonna be in Ant-Man???!! The guy is riding one!!!! Or is the guy just as small as the people in Honey, I Shrunk the Kids???
    Without seeing a trailer yet, I believe Ant-Man will be the biggest flop in Marvels history...

Good people know when something is gonna suck and leave a sinking ship before it's too late. Did I mention that this is gonna suck so bad that it's gonna be Marvels biggest flop in their history?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...marvels-721347

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by frolunda71 View Post
    Good people know when something is gonna suck and leave a sinking ship before it's too late. Did I mention that this is gonna suck so bad that it's gonna be Marvels biggest flop in their history?

I don't know if this will end up being a box office flop, but I do know this - Marvel/Disney are really pushing it. In terms of...everything. Complete overkill. It's like a conveyor belt - same s***, different day. Non-stop news about movies they'll make 5-10 years from now and previous movies that were "directed" by people who in reality were doing what Kevin Feige was telling them to do. And not to mention that pretty much all of their films from the last 6 years look the same. Goes to show how much freedom these poor directors have.

There's a very good saying: "The bigger you are, the harder you fall". The Marvel folks need to calm down with their enthusiasm and realize that the more movies/TV shows you make a year, the more risks you take. At this point DC are much more "selective" with their movies. And they're certainly not rushing things.

Thing is, the success Marvel is enjoying right now ain't gonna last forever.

And some people are already tired of them - "They're now literally shoving their products in people's mouths" is what a friend of mine said a week ago when we were discussing the recent comic book movies. And you know what, in a way I agree with him.

P.S. I'm not e secret DC fan who's attacking Marvel. That's just my observation as a fan of movies.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

One thing Im sure of is that their version of Quicksilver look really weak compared to Brian Singer's in X-men. I agree with the article. It says the Avengers Quicksilver look like a mess. He does look to me like a mental retard. Their version of Scarlet Witch does look way better than Brian Singer's though.

X-men Quicksilver + Avengers Scarlet Witch = Winner!

Avengers Quicksilver + X-men Scarlet Witch = Meh!

This will be a very successful film. Of course #1 reason is because this is Marvel. Everyone would buy Marvel these days. We just saw how well GOTG did in the box office. And nobody even knew what GOTG was before that movie came out! But more interestingly is that Ant-Man packs even more ingredients that ties it to the Avengers than GOTG did. Ant-Man has always been, one way or another, an Avengers member in the comic books. Not only that... the Avengers villain Ultron was invented by Ant-Man (the original Ant-Man) in the comic books.

So there will be thick references to the Avengers in the Ant-Man movie, and vice-versa for sure.

And because he can shrink himself (which is not a common superhero ability) it's going to be interesting and fun family movie that kids and the kids in all of us would very much enjoy!

I'm also glad they're going with Scott Lang Ant-Man.

Adam McKay Talks Rewriting ANT-MAN with Paul Rudd; Reveals They Added “a Giant Action Sequence”, Made the Film Bigger and “a Little More Aggressive”
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Chitwood
    With Wright leaving the project so close to production, many of the action set pieces had no doubt already been storyboarded and pre-visualized, but McKay says the amount of Wright’s action beats versus the amount of new action beats in the finished film is “half and half”:
    “We added some new action beats. I grew up on Marvel Comics so the geek in me was in heaven that I got to add a giant action sequence to the movie; I was so excited. So we did, we added some cool new action. There’s a lot that’s already in there from what Edgar did, there’s a lot of dialogue and character still in there.

As for what, specifically, McKay and Rudd added to the script, McKay says it was a matter of streamlining the story and expanding the scope:
    “We just shaped the whole thing, we just tried to streamline it, make it cleaner, make it a little bigger, a little more aggressive, make it funnier in places—we just basically did a rewrite. Edgar had a really good script. But we just had a blast, and Rudd was just so much fun to write with. I walked away saying, ‘Hey, you and I gotta write a script together.’”

If you wanna know how Ant-Man came to be and what his childhood was like, then you can watch this. The Danish gave a rats ass about having some Marvel rights to do Ant-Man, so they did the second best thing. They made Antboy!!

The secret origin of Ant-Man:
    SPOILERS

Deadline:
    ‘Pirates’ Helmer Joachim Rønning To Direct ‘Micro’, Last Michael Crichton Novel

io9:
    We Saw Ten Minutes of Alexander Payne's Surprising Scifi Film Downsizing

/film:
    ‘Ant-Man and the Wasp’ Will See the Return of Michael Douglas’ Hank Pym