Thread: Platinum Dunes making Halloween 3D

Default Platinum Dunes making Halloween 3D

Looks like the company is going back to the horror remakes. After producing Vigilandia, P&G and Ninja Turtles, Platinum Dunes will do a remake of Halloween.

http://screenrant.com/halloween-3-mo...-sandy-162637/

I wonder how involved is Michael with these movies. We've seen that he is closely involved with Ninja Turtles but never heard anything about Vigilandia and he is producing both for a 2013 release. Probably the other members of the company Jason Blum, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form are more involved with the horror movies and Michael with the rest.

Here is a little info about Vigilandia as well.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118049128

Default Re: Platinum Dunes making Halloween 3D

I can't guess what Michael or Platinum Dunes are planning, but if I acquired the rights to the franchise, this is what I'd do:

Abandon the Michael Myers storyline and create an anthology series, like John Carpenter and Debra Hill had originally planned with HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH, i.e. the only recurring theme between movies would be the holiday of Halloween itself. That way, Michael and Platinum Dunes could hire fresh creative talent with each new instalment.

However, if Platinum Dunes absolutely has to make some kind of connection with the Michael Myers character, they could always sneak him into the movies in a little cameo - his mask could appear in the background, or somebody could be playing the Halloween theme on a piano, etc. (HALLOWEEN III did something similar in one scene when a TV was playing the original film.)

Quote Originally Posted by MitP View Post
    I can't guess what Michael or Platinum Dunes are planning, but if I acquired the rights to the franchise, this is what I'd do:

Abandon the Michael Myers storyline and create an anthology series, like John Carpenter and Debra Hill had originally planned with HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH, i.e. the only recurring theme between movies would be the holiday of Halloween itself. That way, Michael and Platinum Dunes could hire fresh creative talent with each new instalment.

However, if Platinum Dunes absolutely has to make some kind of connection with the Michael Myers character, they could always sneak him into the movies in a little cameo - his mask could appear in the background, or somebody could be playing the Halloween theme on a piano, etc. (HALLOWEEN III did something similar in one scene when a TV was playing the original film.)
    No offense, but this would be one of the worst moves imaginable for the Halloween franchise. Myers is a horror icon. H3 failed for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by evergamer View Post
    No offense, but this would be one of the worst moves imaginable for the Halloween franchise. Myers is a horror icon. H3 failed for a reason.
    H3 failed because audiences back in the '80's were more closed-minded. It's one of the most hated and misunderstood movies of all time. People couldn't get past the absence of Michael Myers, and so they collectively turned their backs on the film, regardless of its quality. (For the record, I think part 3 is a good flick in its own right, but nobody at the time cared or wanted to listen simply because Michael wasn't in it.)

SEASON OF THE WITCH was slammed by everybody, so the powers-that-be caved in and gave audiences their lollipop...in a progression of sequels that got progressively staler with each new instalment until Rob Zombie had to came along to overhaul the whole damn franchise. Now the only creative options available to Platinum Dunes would be A) make another sequel to Rob Zombie's remake, B) make a sequel to John Carpenter's original HALLOWEEN while ignoring all the other sequels that came after it, or C) remake/reboot the damn movie for the umpteenth time, less than five years after Rob Zombie's version. None of those directions sound very appealing.

Nowadays, audiences are more movie-savvy. With the internet and faster communication, in addition to a clever marketing campaign, a HALLOWEEN anthology-based series could work today that it couldn't in 1982.

Sounds great
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...
    I'm a decepticon and my name is _____ All Hail Megatron!

Big horror movie fan here.
    I love what platinum dunes has done with their remakes too.
    I've always though the old school originals where a bit corny.
    But the brought the fear back.
    Bring it on guys
    "Drivers dont pick the cars. Cars pick the drivers"

H3 failed because audiences back in the '80's were more closed-minded. It's one of the most hated and misunderstood movies of all time. People couldn't get past the absence of Michael Myers, and so they collectively turned their backs on the film, regardless of its quality. (For the record, I think part 3 is a good flick in its own right, but nobody at the time cared or wanted to listen simply because Michael wasn't in it.)

SEASON OF THE WITCH was slammed by everybody, so the powers-that-be caved in and gave audiences their lollipop...in a progression of sequels that got progressively staler with each new instalment until Rob Zombie had to came along to overhaul the whole damn franchise. Now the only creative options available to Platinum Dunes would be A) make another sequel to Rob Zombie's remake, B) make a sequel to John Carpenter's original HALLOWEEN while ignoring all the other sequels that came after it, or C) remake/reboot the damn movie for the umpteenth time, less than five years after Rob Zombie's version. None of those directions sound very appealing.

Nowadays, audiences are more movie-savvy. With the internet and faster communication, in addition to a clever marketing campaign, a HALLOWEEN anthology-based series could work today that it couldn't in 1982.
    H3's failure was unjust because it was an attempt at a franchise that wasn't being done elsewhere, however, that was just Halloween III. There has since been 4, 5, 6, H20, Resurrection, a remake, and a sequel to the remake, all featuring Michael Myers, not to mention the various comics and tie-in material.

To attempt H3 when they did was bold enough and failed, but could have been great. To try and do that again today would make no sense at all after the series has been established as the story of Michael Myers.

At this point, it'd be like making a new Transformers movie without the Transformers. And if you're going to make a film completely removed from the Michael Myers story, then...why make it a part of that series anyway? Again, it made a little more sense when they did it for H3. It would make no sense to try the same thing now. If you want to make an original film that just happens to feature Halloween, it doesn't have to be a part of the Halloween movie series at all. Let it be its own thing, so people can appreciate it as such instead of hating on it unfairly because they expected a sense of continuity in a film series.

You know, like H3.

Quote Originally Posted by Horror Sober View Post
    At this point, it'd be like making a new Transformers movie without the Transformers. And if you're going to make a film completely removed from the Michael Myers story, then...why make it a part of that series anyway? Again, it made a little more sense when they did it for H3. It would make no sense to try the same thing now. If you want to make an original film that just happens to feature Halloween, it doesn't have to be a part of the Halloween movie series at all. Let it be its own thing, so people can appreciate it as such instead of hating on it unfairly because they expected a sense of continuity in a film series.
    If Hollywood followed the "let it be its own thing" line of thought, Rob Zombie's HALLOWEEN would have been a morbidly fascinating story about a white-trash kid growing up to be an infamous serial killer rather than a flawed revision of a classic horror flick.

If you're trying to argue that yet another Halloween movie featuring Michael would be a better idea, please be more specific about how you feel it could be made to work.

If Hollywood followed the "let it be its own thing" line of thought, Rob Zombie's HALLOWEEN would have been a morbidly fascinating story about a white-trash kid growing up to be an infamous serial killer rather than a flawed revision of a classic horror flick.

If you're trying to argue that yet another Halloween movie featuring Michael would be a better idea, please be more specific about how you feel it could be made to work.
    See, your analogy doesn't make sense because, despite the elements Rob might have added to the character, it's still a Michael Myers story. With what you're talking about, it'd be a film 100% removed from everything to do with the series, in every way. Following your train of thought, why not make a brand new story about some turtles, who are teenagers, and possibly ninjas, and maybe even mutated, rather than make a "flawed revision of a classic"?

I think the simplest thing to do is reboot without calling it a reboot. Bring the mystery to Michael Myers that's been lacking so much ever since the original Halloween 2 and simply have him stalk, and kill, a new group of young folks. Of course to keep it from being a repeat of the first film they'd need to keep the kills and the overall setpieces different.

One thing that's been missing from the character that I'd restore is the sense that Michael is a perverted freak. Ever notice how, in the original film, Michael only stalks and toys with the women he kills? Heck, he deliberately scares his victims before killing them, like he gets off on it. He's perfectly capable of running after Laurie. He's making a deliberate choice to simply walk up to her as she struggles to get inside before he gets to her.

With the original film, there was this sense that he could be in your town. He might be on your street, watching someone you know. Watching you. He might even be in your house. He didn't have a motive. He was the embodiment of evil because there was nothing to humanize him internally, and yet he was terrifying because externally he's just a human. Maybe. Going on and on with the sister thing, or the "I must kill off all my relatives" thing, that just removes all of that. Giving him a purpose, or a motive like that just ruins him.

Want to know sort of how I'd tackle it? Read the comic Halloween: Nightdance.

Quote Originally Posted by Horror Sober View Post
    See, your analogy doesn't make sense because, despite the elements Rob might have added to the character, it's still a Michael Myers story. With what you're talking about, it'd be a film 100% removed from everything to do with the series, in every way. Following your train of thought, why not make a brand new story about some turtles, who are teenagers, and possibly ninjas, and maybe even mutated, rather than make a "flawed revision of a classic"?
    If I remember correctly, you were the guy who argued how a remake of A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET was perfectly justifiable. We all know how that turned out.

If I remember correctly, you were the guy who argued how a remake of A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET was perfectly justifiable. We all know how that turned out.
    It was perfectly justifiable. However, that has little to do with how well a film is executed. There are plenty of awful films in which the ideas have plenty of potential. A Nightmare On Elm Street did not reach that potential. Just because the potential wasn't reached doesn't mean it wasn't there to begin with.

And um, do enlighten me as to how my previous defense of the concept of remaking A Nightmare On Elm Street relates to the snippet of my post that you quoted, or really the entire argument between us? After all, based on what I've heard, you'd sooner see a new ANOES film that had nothing to do with Freddy Kruger at all. How do you think that would sit with the fans, hm?

You know, it's curious how you rarely pop your head into this forum unless there's a horror update/reboot/remake to talk about. If that's your only real interest here, wouldn't a more "horror-centric" site be a better alternative? Heck, I'll even give you the link:

http://www.horror.com/forum/

Enjoy yourself, chum.

I've seen most of the horror movies before the PD remakes and i have to say i love the remakes more, better acting, grimmer atmosphere, just overall much better and i didn't create any nostalgic feelings with horror movies back then sorry =/
    Well done Platinum Dunes! Maybe Elm Street was less good cause it was more of a origins movie.
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...
    I'm a decepticon and my name is _____ All Hail Megatron!

Senior Member Bot of Badassness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingheart View Post
    I've seen most of the horror movies before the PD remakes and i have to say i love the remakes more, better acting, grimmer atmosphere, just overall much better and i didn't create any nostalgic feelings with horror movies back then sorry =/
    Well done Platinum Dunes! Maybe Elm Street was less good cause it was more of a origins movie.
    I enjoyed the Chainsaw remake and the Friday remake, they were definitly better than the originals!

Nightmare and Hitcher, eeeh... The Hitcher felt really watered down and A Nightmare on Elm Street (was different for sure) just didn't seem to pull off it's story well. I prefer their originals more (but that might partly be because the original Nightmare is one of my favourite horrors and The Hitcher is one of my favourite thrillers).

A Halloween sequel might be good, PD's Chainsaw prequel was excellent! :borat

You know, it's curious how you rarely pop your head into this forum unless there's a horror update/reboot/remake to talk about. If that's your only real interest here, wouldn't a more "horror-centric" site be a better alternative? Heck, I'll even give you the link:

http://www.horror.com/forum/

Enjoy yourself, chum.
    Really? The biggest post I made here was in the Ninja Turtles thread, and I've posted elsewhere plenty of times. A simple look at my post history can verify that. I'm not the most active poster here, but since when does that affect what I have to say? This little back-and-forth between you and I in this thread could have been my first few posts in this whole forum, and they'd be just as valid as they would be if I've been posting here a hundred times every day since the forum showed up.

As it stands right now, I'm just making some simple observations. An anthology franchise might have worked if they made the decision to turn it into an anthology early enough, but even then, you and I both know how that worked out for Halloween III. Was it stupid to hate it just because it wasn't part of the Michael Myers storyline? Sure. I enjoyed it too. But just because it's stupid doesn't mean it's not going to happen. You don't have to like how someone responds to something, but that doesn't mean the response will change.

At this point, making a new Halloween film without Michael Myers - after nine movies with him, seven consecutively after Hallween III - would be more than bold or daring. It would be stupid on a multitude of levels, not the least of which being financially.

And that begs the question: if you're so upset about a lack of originality, then why slap a Halloween sticker on an original film in the first place? Why not let it stand on its own two feet as a brand new film? I mean, does it really need to be a Halloween film if it has nothing to do with any of the other films in the franchise?

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingheart View Post
    I agree, the pd remakes were certainly better. Maybe it was just th time, but the originals always seemed corny to me. And I really liked the nightmare remake.
    "Drivers dont pick the cars. Cars pick the drivers"

Who would love to see this sequel have Michael as a spirit than a typical Jason wannabe and based on Halloween 4's original intention idea? here's an interesting fact some of you don't know, back in 1986 after the failed experiment of turning the Halloween franchise into a big screen Halloween themed horror anthology John Carpenter and Debra Hill had this terrific idea of having Michael Myers as a spirit that haunts Haddonfield but greedy producer Moustappha Akkad fell in love with the Jason movies and want to cash-in on them so Carpenter/Hill gave up their franchise to Akkad, Halloween 4 felt a bit ridiculous as they completely ignored Halloween 2's ending especially when Loomis was meant to be DEAD and how they ignored Michael getting shot in the eyes as suddenly he could see and that his skin was not completely burned to ashes.

I do love the anthology idea as intended for the franchise and i love the first 3 Halloween movies and enjoyed H2O with Zombie's enjoyable if uncalled for remake i still think Michael should had stayed DEAD after Halloween 2. The audience in 1982 were so closed minded for they were idiots not knowing that Michael got shot in the eyes by Laurie Strode as he was blinded then got blown up with Loomis in the hospital as both were burning to cinders, how could they come back? Carpenter wanted to end Michael's story for good when he wrote Halloween 2. So Carpenter and Hill had a unique/visionary idea to turn the franchise into a big screen horror anthology about Halloween itself which was intended after part 1 according to Carpenter but Carpenter loathed writing H2 as he had to kill off his creation and do the anthology idea. Each installment was gonna have a different standalone Halloween themed horror tale with different plots, different ideas, new villains and all that, it could had been like Twilight Zone, Are You Afraid of the Dark (remember that show?), Creepshow, Grindhouse or Tales from The Crypt but NOOOO audiences were just crazy about slashers in the 80s. Problem was that Carpenter and co. didn't tell the public this except in Fangoria and they should had done it in trailers with them hosting to tell everyone this idea and even on talkshow interviews with TV spots featuring them.

To me Michael is dead after part 2.