Thread: Digital Camera Recommendations?

Default Digital Camera Recommendations?

Hey everybody,

I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for digital cameras. I know some of you are photographers as hobbies and careers, so I figured you might have some feelings on the subject. I guess (I think) I'm looking for something that is a good entry/mid level camera that is more than a pocket camera, but not a Mark II 5d either, if that makes sense. Or even camera company recommendations. Or even a recommendation to go and buy a highly recommended pocket camera. Really any thoughts about buying advice. I've always had success with Canon pocket cameras, and I did some work for a camera company a couple years ago that gave me some insight/thoughts, but I honestly don't know much about the current state of cameras.

Thanks.

Ed Fuego
    "can you ban people who put other members quotes in their sig? if that is not a tell all sign that a person is going to be annoying i don't know what is."
    - thegreat

Default Re: Digital Camera Recommendations?

The current state of cameras....not good, considering how smartphones are taking better and better pictures.

I adore my 12.2 megapixel Kodak EasyShare M341. It's a shame the company went bankrupt. (Just recently I had to have a rechargeable battery shipped from a third party vendor for it.)

What's your price range?

Banned

CANON! Canon make the best camera's, anything and everything from compact camera's for beginners to high end DSLR's for pro's. I've always found them to be easy to use, light weight, great optics and fantastic value for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker
    The current state of cameras....not good, considering how smartphones are taking better and better pictures.

I adore my 12.2 megapixel Kodak EasyShare M341. It's a shame the company went bankrupt. (Just recently I had to have a rechargeable battery shipped from a third party vendor for it.)

What's your price range?
    Price range? Probably in the $400-$500 range, maybe slightly more if a camera was really highly recommended.

Two that I've been looking at in the last day or so are the Nikon Coolpix P510 (http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Produc...LPIX-P510.html) and the Canon Powershot SX40 HS (http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...ershot_sx40_hs)

Not sure that I want to step up to a camera with interchangeable lenses yet, but I am thinking something at the higher end of the category of "super-zoom" point and shoot cameras.

I should probably mention that I do have an iPhone 4, and a Canon Powershot SD630 (which I think is a great camera), so I am considering the idea that I really may not need anything.

Ed Fuego
    "can you ban people who put other members quotes in their sig? if that is not a tell all sign that a person is going to be annoying i don't know what is."
    - thegreat

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Fuego View Post
    Price range? Probably in the $400-$500 range, maybe slightly more if a camera was really highly recommended.

Two that I've been looking at in the last day or so are the Nikon Coolpix P510 (http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Produc...LPIX-P510.html) and the Canon Powershot SX40 HS (http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...ershot_sx40_hs)

Not sure that I want to step up to a camera with interchangeable lenses yet, but I am thinking something at the higher end of the category of "super-zoom" point and shoot cameras.

I should probably mention that I do have an iPhone 4, and a Canon Powershot SD630 (which I think is a great camera), so I am considering the idea that I really may not need anything.

Ed Fuego
    If you're ready to spend $400 to $500 then I say go for it. (One of the two you listed) Compared with what you have now (which is only 6 megapixels, sorry, I'm a megapixel whore) and by the sheer presence of the interchangeable lenses, it's going to be worth the upgrade.

As for brands, that's all up to you. Canon and Nikon are both reputable brands.

It all really depends on what you intend to use it for. If you're just going to do "point and shoot" kind of stuff like capturing memories at a party or event, etc. etc., then stick with your current iPhone 4 and Powershot. If you're doing photography for photography's sake, and actually wanna take beautiful pictures of things, then I say make the upgrade.

For the record, I'm no expert on this stuff. I'm just going by my past experience with purchasing consumer electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Fuego View Post
    Ed Fuego
    Recently I was also buying a camera. It was the opposite situation - I sold my old SLR camera and bought a pocket water proof camera that shoot full HD video. I had hard times dragging my camcorder and SLR when we travel and I decided to replace them both with just one small pocket camera with great results. However you're situation is different.

When I choose a camera I always go at the dpreview site and read every user review of the camera that I'm considering. Looking at the 2 cameras that you're considering immediately the Nikon grabs the attention with superior characteristics (16 mp vs. 12 mp, bigger LCD screen, newer model etc.). But then again there are plenty of arguments to go for the Canon. It's your decision but if I were considering these two cameras I would definitely go for the Canon. Here's why:
    - it's a model from last year and if there were some bugs with it they are already solved with a firmware update. The bugs (if there are any) of the Nikon are still to be determined.
    - you can read plenty of user reviews about the Canon and make a conclusion about something. The Nikon has very few reviews because it's too new
    - you said that your previous camera was again Canon. This means that you already know how everything works and you're familiar with the menu and navigation. This is important.
    - you can put an external flash to the Canon
    - the battery life of the Canon is almost twice as long as the Nikon's (very important to me)
    - the Nikon doesn't have a manual focus, Canon does
    I'm not sure that just because of the extra 4 pixels and the GPS positioning the Nikon should be considered. Still it's your decision.

Good luck.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...s=nikon_cpp510

So I ended up getting the Nikon P510 (in red!... just cause). Albershide, I really appreciate your input (I appreciated everyone's input), but I think after going to the store and playing around with both of the ones I listed, I liked the Nikon slightly better. I'm not one to buy anything without doing my homework, and I certainly read everything I could about both, but at some point "it's pucker time" and you just have to make a decision. It was more intuition than logic. Never had a Nikon before, so I'm sure the interface will take a little adjustment, but I think that right now at least in the superzoom category there really isn't a camera that can beat it in terms of features. Hopefully it'll take decent pictures

Thanks again everybody.

Ed Fuego
    - thegreat