Thread: Jonathan Liebesman

Default Jonathan Liebesman

Although it's still not confirmed it was mentioned that Jonathan Liebesman is in final negotiations to direct the movie. I watched the Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning and Battle LA, and although they didn't get very good reviews I enjoyed them and I think that this man has a certain visual style (especially after seeing the Wrath of the Titans trailers and featurettes). I think Platinum Dunes made a great move hiring him. I believe that he will fit in perfectly.

Also we have to bear in mind that Wrath of the Titans budget is very close to $100 million (as is the TMNT one). And he really made a very good looking heavy on CG film (at least from the trailers). Just have a look at this featurette where you can see the director himself if you still don't know him.

We have to wait and see in December 2013.

What do you think about him?

Senior Member Bot of Badassness's Avatar

Default Re: Jonathan Liebesman

He will make i gritty. It won't be very light hearted like Bay's Transformers movies are, Liebesman will go very gritty and I have an idea on what the turtles will look like.

I'm seeing this as a Liebesman film first and for most, it will be his vision not Bay's (though we will still see some of his signature in it I hope).

Let's hope he makes something good, not a fan of Battle LA, but I blame the script there. Also, Brian Tyler for score

Quote Originally Posted by Bot of Badassness View Post
    He will make i gritty. It won't be very light hearted like Bay's Transformers movies are, Liebesman will go very gritty and I have an idea on what the turtles will look like.

I'm seeing this as a Liebesman film first and for most, it will be his vision not Bay's (though we will still see some of his signature in it I hope).
    I am a Turtle fan, I don't know if you'd call me hard core (I honestly could give a rat's ass about the alien aspect) but many Ninja Turtle fans have been wanting a more edgier film for a long time. Most of us would love an R-Rated movie, where the boys shed blood and curse like crazy, but we can live with a PG-13 film. But it's time to put the PG kiddify movies to rest. The 1990 movie was on the right track, but went down hill since then. The forth movie showed promise, but it was still held back a bit. But I want to see Raph break someone's neck with his bare hands, Casey bust a couple of shins, and Leonardo to finally decapitate a living human, not some robot.

Quote Originally Posted by warhorse

I am a Turtle fan, I don't know if you'd call me hard core (I honestly could give a rat's ass about the alien aspect) but many Ninja Turtle fans have been wanting a more edgier film for a long time. Most of us would love an R-Rated movie, where the boys shed blood and curse like crazy, but we can live with a PG-13 film. But it's time to put the PG kiddify movies to rest. The 1990 movie was on the right track, but went down hill since then. The forth movie showed promise, but it was still held back a bit. But I want to see Raph break someone's neck with his bare hands, Casey bust a couple of shins, and Leonardo to finally decapitate a living human, not some robot.
    They can do all that when they start to re-imagine the franchise again.. It's not gonna happen for now they want kids to see it and i'm ok with that.
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...
    I'm a decepticon and my name is _____ All Hail Megatron!

It won't be R, but I wouldn't say the film would be very kid-friendly either (this is Liebesman).

The only fore-seeable issue with making a more mature film, is that the general mainstream audience would probably not take it seriously (honestly, at first glance TMNT sounds like a silly concept.) However, the fans (that would be us) would eat it up!
    I hate haters...
    Because "Dark of the Moon was f*cking robbed."

Quote Originally Posted by Lbrosfilm
    The only fore-seeable issue with making a more mature film, is that the general mainstream audience would probably not take it seriously (honestly, at first glance TMNT sounds like a silly concept.) However, the fans (that would be us) would eat it up!
    I dont know about you guys but when that last TMNT film came out (animation movie) the first time i watched it i was expecting a serious action movie but then i saw it was animation and it overall freakin sucked! And very childish was real bummer/dissapointment for me
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...

While this will be Jonathan Liebesman's film, I'm pretty positive that we're going to see Michael Bay's fingerprints all over it even as a producer
    Transformers 4 Movie Updates on Youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/TheRaginNation

While I wasn't a fan of Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning, I did love Battle: Lost Angeles, and look forward to Wrath Of The Titans.

I believe both Bay and Liebesman know the audience for Ninja Turtles enough to not go a for a all out gritty flick, but a fun action movie for everyone.
    Optimus: "Amazing! A booby trap that actually catches boobies!"

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingheart View Post
    They can do all that when they start to re-imagine the franchise again.. It's not gonna happen for now they want kids to see it and i'm ok with that.
    But Even kids films are darker now. In Transformers DOTM, Optimus rips Megatron's head and spine from his body. Cover Girl got stabbed and dies in Gi Joe. The Green Goblin gets impaled by his own gilder in Spider-Man. The Harry Potter films got pretty dark near the end, and the gritty reboot thing is in. The new Spider-Man film is supposed to be darker, and so is the next Transformers film.

Just saw Wrath of the Titans, and I've got to say, I REALLY hope he uses a similar style (referring to the action) with the Turtles. From someone who isn't a huge fan of Battle L.A., Wrath of the Titans was amazing (in regards to 3D, effects, and set-pieces.)
    I hate haters...
    Because "Dark of the Moon was f*cking robbed."

I really enjoyed Wrath of the Titans. Best Post-Converted 3D there is, it was amazing.

I really enjoyed Wrath of the Titans. Best Post-Converted 3D there is, it was amazing.
    So the post converted 3D was actually great? Jeez, had I known that, I wouldn't have gone to the sh*tty theater in town to see the 2-D release. My favorite theater was only showing it in 3-D.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    So the post converted 3D was actually great? Jeez, had I known that, I wouldn't have gone to the sh*tty theater in town to see the 2-D release. My favorite theater was only showing it in 3-D.
    All of my theaters were showing it in 3D, I had no choice. I really didn't want to pay the extra $5 for shitty post-converted 3D, but I was told that it was the best post 3D job ever, so I was kinda relived. And boy was I surprised! Great 3D, shows that even considering p-c 3D early on and not during post can make one hell of a difference!

Germantown, Tennessee, United States, 108188919203286, Germantown, Tennessee

Cool Re: Jonathan Liebesman

To The Director,
    First I would like to see the Turtles jump out of the sewer like back in the day. Also Please keep the theme song to the openings. I want to see that in the opening of the movie. That is my only think I would like to see. I am happy to here that u are a big fan of the Turtles. It will go two ways. The first way is you go it right the first time and listen to the real fans. Or u do not and have the movie bombs. It is up to you the Director. If I was in your shoes I would listen to fans.

Your Fan
    Russell V

P.S. I loved Battle of LA

Quote Originally Posted by Link
    Let's hope he makes something good, not a fan of Battle LA, but I blame the script there. Also, Brian Tyler for score
    I just saw Battle LA.. not good IMO.. indeed script was crap, STAFF SARGEANT! STAFF SARGEANT! STAFF SARGEANT! Jeezzz..
    So many things that a real leader and/or soldier would do differently.. and over-using that heroic drum noise was irritating.
    Movie was not complex at all, i recognized things from Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, Indipendence Day, etc. the heroic scenes didn't feel.. what's the word.. Organic?

Yeah i'm hoping Titans 2 will be better trailer looks good though havent seen Titans 1 so i will be seeing T2 and hope NT will work out fine.

I really didn't want to pay the extra $5 for shitty post-converted 3D, but I was told that it was the best post 3D job ever, so I was kinda relived. And boy was I surprised! Great 3D, shows that even considering p-c 3D early on and not during post can make one hell of a difference!
    Really? Because I heard the first film, was one of the worst 3D conversions ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Really? Because I heard the first film, was one of the worst 3D conversions ever.
    Indeed the first one was the worst conversion ever, but Wrath is maybe the best. Untill soon before the start of filming WOTT was meant to be shot in 3D and everything was thought as for a 3D movie. They changed that at the last minute.

Gritty and dark Ninja Turtles, well the 1990 movie was dark and gritty yet violent but still earned a PG rating.

Has anyone read the original comics? they were quite dark and violent. They were much different than the cartoon we all know.

I have read some of the early issues. I thought the newer cartoon did a good job of getting the darkness of the comics while still being kid friendly.