Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Ninja turtles

Default Re: Ninja turtles

Here's the point though, if they are just going to not follow the story line, why even bother uses the license to begin with?

Because the turtles are popular and the income is certain. And they will follow the story line. Just not the whole story.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelbay View Post
    Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    TMNT, co-creator Peter Laird, responded to this on his blog.
    http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot....as-aliens.html
    Look would ya look at that.. A planet full of turtles..

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    How can you know this? We don't know anything about the script and yet you guys know that this change was not needed and it won't improve the original.

Anyway, the argument is pretty pointless before we see the movie. I'm outta here.
    The point is we've seen Michael Bay's previous work on licensed properties before. Either if it's Transformers, or the God awful horror remakes made from his company, with him as producer. Sure a lot of people enjoyed those movies, but there are still a lot of others who are disappointed, and they hate those movies with a passion. Trust me, I've seen these people. I, on the other hand, enjoyed a "little" out of some of these movies, but the only one I ever liked from his work was Bad Boys II. The thing is after those films people will be concerned, especially after watching what Bay did with the Transformers movies. He changed so much stuff in the source material, and none of those things benefit well for the plots. If it wasn't broken, don't fix it. Just plain simple. Just because the Turtles fight aliens in the comics or the shows, doesn't mean they were ever aliens, or should be. I don't know how that will benefit the plot, since Shredder has a lot to do with Splinter's past. But if they can make it work, then I'll give it a try.

I guess this video can explain a little further on why a lot of us fans are not liking the idea that the Turtles will be "aliens".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Spdi1bLBp8

Heart: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by DCBargas View Post
    The thing is after those films people will be concerned, especially after watching what Bay did with the Transformers movies.

What he did with "Transformers"? Well, he only made it one of the most successful and popular franchises of all time. Now that's a cold, hard fact, not an opinion. You can talk about how many people hate these movies all day long, but you're not actually proving anything. At all.

Just as you can find people who hate these films with a passion, I can easily find people who love these films with a passion. A lot of people. So the argument "I can find people who hate his films" is completely useless. Not to mention that at the end of the day it's all matter of personal opinion. There's no "good movie" or "bad movie". There are opinions and preferences.

And fact is, Bay is one of the very few directors working today who know exactly what the modern audience wants to see in a big-budget Hollywood movie. You may not like his films, but you can't deny his ability to put asses in seats. And that's what matters in the film business.

So while the angry "fanboys" and wannabe film critics keep criticizing his work, he'll keep making his movies, with his own vision and approach, and the normal folks (who don't live 24/7 on the internet) will keep paying to see these movies.

And Bay wins. Again.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    And fact is, Bay is one of the very few directors working today who know exactly what the modern audience wants to see in a big-budget Hollywood movie. You may not like his films, but you can't deny his ability to put asses in seats. And that's what matters in the film business.
    Movies are suppose to be taken with respect, with passion. I have not seen that in his movies. You can say all day what makes his movies great, but at the end of the day they are all the same movies, with no heart. Like talking to someone with no soul. It just feels dead and empty inside, and the only thing is keeping you interested is the good looks. I'm sorry I prefer movies with a lot more heart to it, and with a lot more effort. I have not been proven that Michael Bay gives a shit about what he does with his movies, he's just there to make a quick buck, and lacking interest about the plot all in general. Sure he makes the effort to make a good action scene, but who gives a fuck? I barely know what's going on in those scenes anyways. He also makes great effort to put in a lame ongoing gag at the last second, for what reason? The action scenes are a good plus when the heart (story) is there. For me it's a big slap to filmmakers who actually put the effort to the plot, the characters, and the filming. If people want to see a movie that has no heart or soul, then that's fine by me. But I do not consider Michael Bay a great director, he does not deserve that respect from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Here's the point though, if they are just going to not follow the story line, why even bother uses the license to begin with?
    Lawsuits?

Movies are suppose to be taken with respect, with passion. I have not seen that in his movies. You can say all day what makes his movies great, but at the end of the day they are all the same movies, with no heart. Like talking to someone with no soul. It just feels dead and empty inside, and the only thing is keeping you interested is the good looks. I'm sorry I prefer movies with a lot more heart to it, and with a lot more effort. I have not been proven that Michael Bay gives a shit about what he does with his movies, he's just there to make a quick buck, and lacking interest about the plot all in general. Sure he makes the effort to make a good action scene, but who gives a fuck? I barely know what's going on in those scenes anyways. He also makes great effort to put in a lame ongoing gag at the last second, for what reason? The action scenes are a good plus when the heart (story) is there. For me it's a big slap to filmmakers who actually put the effort to the plot, the characters, and the filming. If people want to see a movie that has no heart or soul, then that's fine by me. But I do not consider Michael Bay a great director, he does not deserve that respect from me.
    The problem is that you can't separate traditional film and entertainment.

And who gives a fuck? The millions of people who have seen his movies and continue to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    The problem is that you can't separate traditional film and entertainment.

And who gives a fuck? The millions of people who have seen his movies and continue to do so.
    Just saying, the action shouldn't be the only reason why anyone should watch a movie. I didn't go into Watchmen thinking it was going to have EXPLOSIONS, and dogs humping in the background to make a quick gag. Oh, like I haven't seen that before, that is sooooooo funny. : rol

But I do not consider Michael Bay a great director, he does not deserve that respect from me.

Well, I think he's great at what he does and I will keep supporting his movies.

As for the rest of your post, I have absolutely nothing to say because you're just describing how you personally feel about his movies. I can start describing how I feel about his movies too, but it's just not worth it. I'm not here to change your mind.

Just trying to balance the discussion. That's all.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Just saying, the action shouldn't be the only reason why anyone should watch a movie. I didn't go into Watchmen thinking it was going to have EXPLOSIONS, and dogs humping in the background to make a quick gag. Oh, like I haven't seen that before, that is sooooooo funny. : rol
    So you have your own set of rules on *why* people should watch a movie? How about letting everyone decide what they want to see and why they want to see it.

Just saying, the action shouldn't be the only reason why anyone should watch a movie.

I don't watch his movies just because of the action. If I was 15, then maybe that would've been the case. But I'm not a teen anymore.

I watch them, because they contain everything that I want to see in a spectacle movie. And it's not only action. I'm talking about characters that I like, comedy, drama, massive action sequences, great music, beautiful locations and on and on and on....

Well, I think he's great at what he does and I will keep supporting his movies.

As for the rest of your post, I have absolutely nothing to say because you're just describing how you personally feel about his movies. I can start describing how I feel about his movies too, but it's just not worth it. I'm not here to change your mind.

Just trying to balance the discussion. That's all.
    Like you said, it all comes down to personal opinions.

So you have your own set of rules on *why* people should watch a movie? How about letting everyone decide what they want to see and why they want to see it.
    No, completely the opposite of what I said, or meant to say. Sure the looks look promising, but it's like looking at a "hot girl" with no personally at all. Great to look at, but nothing interesting. That's just the how I see it when anyone goes see these movies, they just don't care about the movie itself. I did say if they want to see a heartless movie, that's fine with me. I have no say in that, and I know that.

I don't watch his movies just because of the action. If I was 15, then maybe that would've been the case. But I'm not a teen anymore.

I watch them, because they contain everything that I want to see in a spectacle movie. And it's not only action. I'm talking about characters that I like, comedy, drama, massive action sequences, great music, beautiful locations and on and on and on....
    That's fine. That's one of the reasons why I wanted to see them in the first place, and plus if the sequels are actually going to be a lot better than the previous. Yeah, you could say I'm an idiot to go back to something I hate, but I just want to see what's new. The things that really disappointed me is the lack of interest for some of the characters. They're there, but they're really not *there*. I want to get to know them, before they get randomly killed off for no reason. For me, that just doesn't work. And because they're there, and you get to finally see your favorites characters. Half the time I didn't know who each of them were, because the only characters that look anything like they do in the cartoons, toyline, etc. is Optimus and Bumblebee. So I do want them to be treated well on screen, especially all of the other characters that we barely know. Because what's the point of putting them there and not *do* anything with them? Example: Arcee's head getting blown off, and she actually managed to have dialogue for the first time in the film. What's the point of that? Oh well. But like I said, that is a good reason to see these movies, but when it comes to the plot and people coming to see it for that, they will be very disappointed. lol, at least I was.

Omg dudes.. Are you guys still arguing about this BS?!
    Michael said "they are FROM an alien race" this could mean anything! -_-

Shouldnt have read all these pointless comments..

I got something against the traditional TMNT while i watched ALL of it when i was a kid, i dont like the FEMALE turtle, yeah you heard me.. and the idea of that persons blog with the "whole planet being full of turtles" is super dumb in my opinion.. a turtle with boobs.. Yeaahh.. Very sexy..
    The TMNT that i know would be mutated to turtles because they came in contact with turtle DNA this would be much more realistic to me, yeah.. In a way these creatures are like Transformers.. Being 'blanks' creatures in the beginning and mutate on earth or something like that..
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...
    I'm a decepticon and my name is _____ All Hail Megatron!

I still think Bay is purposely igniting the fanboys wrath to get discussion going. As incompetent as some of his work is, the guy isn't an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by jianozi View Post
    Micheal, I trusted you with Transformers. I trust you with this.
    Same with me as well. We as fans of Michael have complete confidence in him.D
    Make Mine Marvel!

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    How can you know this? We don't know anything about the script and yet you guys know that this change was not needed and it won't improve the original.

Anyway, the argument is pretty pointless before we see the movie. I'm outta here.
    The change wasn't needed. Changing the fact that they're aliens, by itself changes the property's namesake, origin, story and setting. Virtually changing the entire property people fell in love with in the first place. Keeping that in mind, how could it benefit the film when it's a different story with different characters that only look the same?
    You can't change TMNT to aliens and still expect to mostly follow the original story

What he did with "Transformers"? Well, he only made it one of the most successful and popular franchises of all time. Now that's a cold, hard fact, not an opinion. You can talk about how many people hate these movies all day long, but you're not actually proving anything. At all.

Just as you can find people who hate these films with a passion, I can easily find people who love these films with a passion. A lot of people. So the argument "I can find people who hate his films" is completely useless. Not to mention that at the end of the day it's all matter of personal opinion. There's no "good movie" or "bad movie". There are opinions and preferences.
    If you search Michael Bay's name, at the moment, what will come up is the outrage expressed at his claim. It is so massive that top comic and video game news sites have been reporting on it, and obviously so big that this forum has ceased registration. Why don't you show me all of the people, outside of this forum, who are in love with his movies? A number of people who thought Transformers was brilliant that outnumbers the people who hate it? Better yet, the people who think this is a good move that out number the people who think its a horrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingheart View Post
    Omg dudes.. Are you guys still arguing about this BS?!
    Michael said "they are FROM an alien race" this could mean anything! -_-
    I'm gonna quote a response Peter Laird posted on his blog.
    "it is entirely possible that michael bay was only referring to the alien origin of the utroms who presumably create the mutagen, and that the turtles themselves are still earth turtles mutated by ooze."

"These Turtles are from an alien race." That is Michael Bay's exact quote. Now, I suppose if you look at it sideways, with your eyes half-closed, through a glass, darkly, and from a distance in low light, you MIGHT be able to interpret "These Turtles are from an alien race" in the manner you suggest. if that IS, in fact, what Mr. Bay meant, it has to go down in history as one of THE most poorly articulated statements EVER.

However, it IS remotely possible, and I still think TMNT fans really should wait until their worst fears are confirmed (or not) before getting up in arms (or not). -- PL

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetre15

If you search Michael Bay's name, at the moment, what will come up is the outrage expressed at his claim. It is so massive that top comic and video game news sites have been reporting on it, and obviously so big that this forum has ceased registration. Why don't you show me all of the people, outside of this forum, who are in love with his movies? A number of people who thought Transformers was brilliant that outnumbers the people who hate it? Better yet, the people who think this is a good move that out number the people who think its a horrible idea.
    Dude your like a needle that keeps looping on an old LP record, it's also time for something new mixed with the old.. we are all Michael Bay fans and we are also very critical about things so don't worry it's all in good hands, and the only reason why these Gaming and Comic news sources are reporting this is because it's a 'trending topic' or a 'hot item' at the moment and they all want to have all you complaining TMNT fans on their site, blog, forum or YouTube or TV channel just to get hits because the whole world is complaining and everybody is firing everybody up and that's all it is..
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...
    I'm a decepticon and my name is _____ All Hail Megatron!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingheart View Post
    Dude your like a needle that keeps looping on an old LP record, it's also time for something new mixed with the old.. we are all Michael Bay fans and we are also very critical about things so don't worry it's all in good hands, and the only reason why these Gaming and Comic news sources are reporting this is because it's a 'trending topic' or a 'hot item' at the moment and they all want to have all you complaining TMNT fans on their site, blog, forum or YouTube or TV channel just to get hits because the whole world is complaining and everybody is firing everybody up and that's all it is..

That doesn't mean that people, in great numbers, aren't very against this change.

Any change would be considered minor when compared to changing any of the teenage, mutant, ninja and turtle traits.

Since, you know, it's in the name and all...

The kind of change that it needs is that the new movie takes a more dark and mature approach, and that they go back to the uniform dark-red color bandanas from the original comic books.

Changing the origin doesn't automatically make a compelling story right off the bat. It's not about the story; it's about the execution. It's not impossible to take the story the turtles have now and make something deep and compelling out of it without changing who/what they are.

I can't believe fandom will hate a movie just because of one little point.

I rather have an entertaining story instead of than a boring one which is 100% faithful to it's source material. Case in point: John Carter and The Watchmen. Boring as hell and they tanked at the boxoffice.
    Spot on analysis Nelson I agree 100%.

I dunno about this.

On one hand, there's the possibility that what we're seeing in his words isn't necessarily what we'll be getting. Perhaps he meant "they're an alien race" as, "they're unique from anything you guys have seen before". Perhaps he means something more in line with some theories, that it's in regards to the origin of the very ooze that mutates them in the first place. Perhaps it's just a red herring meant to stir up controversy. After what happened with the TF films, I'm sure he knows by now how easily excitable us fanboys can be. There's no way he'd toss out something like that without knowing what kind of fire he'd be calling forth from the pits of hell.

On the other hand, I haven't seen anything yet. This film, for all intents and purposes, doesn't exist yet in the minds of us fans, in any way. The concept of it exists, sure. "Live-action TMNT from producer Michael Bay" is about all we've got. We haven't seen a script. We haven't seen a frame of film, or concept art, or anything. For all we know, it'll be pulled off in a way that doesn't disrespect the fans and the material. From our perspective, this film can be anything right now.

On an unprecedented third hand...I don't get why such a change would need to be made anyway. If it's to avoid the Tyrant Mouse and his army of lawyers, in regards to the Turtles' ties to the origin of Daredevil, the thing is, you don't need to radically change the origin in order to keep it true to the mythology that came before. The IDW comics have shown that rather well, where we learn that they were lab experiments of some sort. I mean, if it's to make more sense logically, then...obviously they didn't see Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Oh, sure, it's easier to humanize apes than it is turtles, but still. Audiences have been able to accept these characters, and their origin, from the beginning. That's kind of the point of making a new film in a rich franchise, isn't it? I mean, everyone knows these characters. Everyone knows how they were created. Maybe little Billy and Betty in first grade don't know, but they will when the new cartoon comes out.

So you've got fans of the comics, in all their forms, fans of the original cartoon, fans of the old movies, fans of the 4kids cartoon, fans of the CG film, and now fans of a new cartoon coming to Nickelodeon, who will all be familiar with these characters. You don't need to reinvent them to sell them to anybody. We've bought their origin as it's existed all this time, we'll still buy it now. It's no less ridiculous if they're aliens.

Now, who they are as characters may not necessarily come from their origins, this much is true. It's not like Batman, where the origin defines the rest of their lives. However, it's not really about that. Fans are upset because, to them, it's like they're being told that the version they've known and loved all this time is wrong. Sure, there are superficial differences with each new variation of them, but such a change to their origins, and their characters, can make the fans feel alienated. To put it into perspective, we're like kids who have been playing with these toys for a long time, and for many of us, these are our favorite toys. Too often we feel like our toys are just being taken away to be given to other kids, rather than being allowed to share them. A generation gap isn't much of an excuse since the Turtles have been a part of many generations, and with Nickelodeon's new series, that will include the kids of today. We're all more than capable of falling in love with the same Turtles that have existed all this time, so what's the point in changing them? Doing it just for the sake of it? I won't say change is bad in and of itself, but if you see the potential in something, and see how so many people love that something and you want to make that something into a huge event of a film for everyone to enjoy, what's the sense in making changes like these? Maybe it all works, I don't know, but the question is, does it work as a brand new idea, or does it work as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? If you're going to make a billion changes to a story everyone has fallen in love with just for the sake of it, why not take those ideas and turn them into something brand new? If it's something brand new and original, then the baggage that comes with an adaptation is gone. All the stigma of arbitrary change is gone and we can see it with open minds, and if you're so confident that we'll love it under an existing brand, then surely we'll love it as its own original feature. Will there be a billion changes? I don't know. I can't say with any certainty that there will be even one change, let alone a metric ton of them. All I can do right now is all anyone can do: guess.

Ultimately, the feeling is that the brand recognition will merely be used as a marketing tool. We love the Ninja Turtles. We all do. But we don't want to see it turned into a corporate scheme to make a quick buck just to fund the next corporate scheme two years down the road. Is that what this is? I don't know, I can't judge. I don't know that I'd call the TF films that, and I did enjoy them.

Let me finish with one little story: throughout my childhood, I wondered why no one had made a live-action Transformers film. I dreamed of it all the time. Batman and Transformers were huge for me, but while Batman got movie after movie, Transformers didn't. Then, in 2007, there was the hype for the first Bay TF film. I remember the backlash. On IMDb, I was a huge defender of the film before its release, and fought many battles over whether or not the film was honoring the TF legacy, against people who thought the changes made would ruin it (changes that, in hindsight, mattered little, such as the flames on Optimus). When the film came out, I was first in line to see it, and let me tell you: when "Arrival to Earth" started to play, and the Autobots made their landing, it was magic. I was seeing a childhood fantasy of mine come to life. Oh, sure, it was just a movie based on some toys I liked when I was a kid, but I'm not enough of a cynic to write off the events in my childhood as unimportant, so it was a major moment for me. Meeting Optimus Prime like that, it was something I'd wanted to see for a long time.

The original Ninja Turtles films were good for their time, but that sense of magic wasn't quite there. The same could sort of be said for the recent CG film. There's a chance to recreate that feeling, and bring it to life to several generations of kids, young and old.

All I ask is, don't screw it up. These things may be the means to a fat wallet to some people, but they're a part of our lives, and they helped shape who we are. We loved these things, and we want to believe you love them too, Michael. No one wants to hate you, or your films. We all see them hoping for the best.

So please, don't let us down. In 1978, Richard Donner made us believe a man could fly. In 2007, you made me, and a ton of other people, believe a truck could turn into a wise and heroic robot warrior. I'm pretty sure that, in 2013, or whenever this film is released, we can believe a few turtles can be mutated into street-talking ninjas.

This thread makes me laugh.:lmao

Maybe they'll be teenage mutant ninja turtles from another planet. You never know. If this doesn't sound like it'll be a movie you'll enjoy then don't freakin see the damn movie. There's already been a buttload of TMNT movies, comics and shows to fall back on. One movie version that you don't agree with isn't the end of the world or mean that TMNTs are ruined forever or that your ass/childhood has been raped.

In other words, you'll live.
    Driller-bot is thirsty.