Thread: John Carter

Default John Carter

Is going to fail so hard....That is all.

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Default Re: John Carter

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    Is going to fail so hard...

I think so too. Things are very messy around that movie. The title alone is a turn-off. I don't think it'll be completely ignored by filmgoers (these types of films are huge in Europe), but the marketing campaign all over the world is just...bad. They try to present the film as some sort combo between "Avatar" and "Prince of Persia", but for some reason a lot of people don't seem to be attracted by that. The trailers scream "been there, done that" and overall there's not a lot of hype for that film.

I'll check it out though...when I have the time. It's not really a movie that I desperately want to see.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

I'm beginning to see more of the Thor pattern here. Bad trailers and campaigns leaving you with very low expectations but when you go and see the movie you are pleasantly surprised. I think there is more than meets the eye in this movie. I agree with Bayhem that this movie screams "been there done that" but nevertheless I'm going to see it. I was surprised that some reviewers that I trust gave pretty high scores for it. I particularly like the sentence "go see the movie with someone from the family, later they'll thank you for that". Obviously it's a family movie with some good 3D IMAX scores which I'll see on Sunday with my wife. And if it's bad still I'll see some nice trailers on the big screen.

I see that r-type has saw it. Did you like it?

Is going to fail so hard....That is all.
    That's what everybody think about the movie. I've just found this video. I'm not saying that we should trust them, maybe they're hired to promote the movie but I think we're in for a surprise.
    Don't worry there are no spoilers in this reactions video:

http://collider.com/john-carter-reader-reaction/150783/

I caught it at a screening earlier this evening.

Mixed bag. It gained steam in the 3rd act, but by then the pacing (that would grind the movie to a halt at times) and some of the bad dialog didn't exactly jibe with the world they managed to create (visually). Been there done that is pretty apt, but the look of the movie (cg, prod. design) was one of its stronger suits.

note: Saw it in Disney Digital/RealD, felt negligible.

notex2: Knew of ER Burroughs' works, but not enough to know how faithful this movie was.

Boy, I don't know if I should see this or not.

I've seen some advertisement here and there but got no clue what this movie is about?? Some superhero stuff? Comicbook stuff??

Why does Europe love these types of movie you say? Because the dude is half naked in the movie??? Bhahahaha... How about Conan the Barb. that looked gay as well and i havent seen it yet but i heard the ladies dig it so thats cool.
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...
    I'm a decepticon and my name is _____ All Hail Megatron!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingheart
    I've seen some advertisement here and there but got no clue what this movie is about?? Some superhero stuff? Comicbook stuff??

Why does Europe love these types of movie you say? Because the dude is half naked in the movie??? Bhahahaha... How about Conan the Barb. that looked gay as well and i havent seen it yet but i heard the ladies dig it so thats cool.
    John Carter is a film adaptation of John Carter of Mars, and has been in development hell since the 1930's.

And the movie did NOT fail hard, at least in my eyes.

Good freakin' movie, overall. Not Andrew Stanton's (Finding Nemo and WALL-E) strongest direction, but this is his first live action film after all. I have no idea how faithful it is to Princess of Mars, but at least the movie makes an effort to call itself "John Carter of Mars" in the end title.

As far as the box office goes, who knows. But that part doesn't concern me.

Actually it didn't fail so hard. It was a fantastic movie. I'll honestly be pissed if this isn't a success, because in a world where crap like Twilight rolls in green gold, there's no reason something as awesome as this should fall by the wayside into oblivion.

Here's hoping they turn it into the spectacular series it deserves to be. And what the hell? Maybe it's time for a new Tarzan movie while we're at it.

When I said the movie would fail, I was speaking of Box Office numbers, NOT whether the movie would be good or not.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX
    When I said the movie would fail, I was speaking of Box Office numbers, NOT whether the movie would be good or not.

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Of course. Whether people like to admit it or not, when it comes to huge, big-budget studio movies the box office is everything. It drives the industry.

And here's the first piece of concrete box office info:

"The first numbers are in for John Carter, and they aren't looking good at all..." - http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3389&p=.htm
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

"Can you point to the object that represents the resilient parasite of an idea caught in the temple nature of the subconcious human mind?"

Quote Originally Posted by Muhd Terawis View Post
    Yes!

I'm going to see it tomorrow. Just wonder if to see it in 3D or IMAX 3D.

So question to the people who saw it - Which one would you recommend? Was the 3D good?

Post-converted. No IMAX native. Take that how you will.

My 3D opinion? Was already posted above.

The most memorable think for me was Michael Giacchino's score. Another great work from him.

Also, my huge respect to Steve Jobs but am I the only one who thought that the "in memory of..." thing was a bit misplaced?

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide
    The most memorable think for me was Michael Giacchino's score. Another great work from him.

Also, my huge respect to Steve Jobs but am I the only one who thought that the "in memory of..." thing was a bit misplaced?
    Not exactly. Keep in mind that Jobs was the CEO of Pixar up until 2006 and had a large role in Disney. Also, director Andrew Stanton is a Pixar guy, so yeah.

So did it turn out to be a case of the trailers underselling the movie for you?

I still stand by it being hit or miss.

I missed the Steve Jobs part. But assuming the whole Disney/Apple/Pixar (Stanton)/Steve Jobs relationship may have factored into that.

*edit: video with Stanton discussing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    Not exactly. Keep in mind that Jobs was the CEO of Pixar up until 2006 and had a large role in Disney. Also, director Andrew Stanton is a Pixar guy, so yeah.
    This makes sense. I never thought from that point.

Quote Originally Posted by r-type View Post
    So did it turn out to be a case of the trailers underselling the movie for you?
    I had so low expectations that after all I really enjoyed the story. Nothing groundbreaking but a good 2 hour experience. Even now I want to read the books. They're not very popular here though.

P.S. Now that I think of it's not an easy job to make a sellable trailer for this. It had other strong parts than diversity which is what that most of the trailers rely on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    "The first numbers are in for John Carter, and they aren't looking good at all..." - http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3389&p=.htm
    Well $100 million for 3 days is not that bad. I'm seeing that the movie score at IMDb is still rising, now it's 7. I think the box office will continue to be stable. Won't drop very quickly, especially overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide

Well $100 million for 3 days is not that bad. I'm seeing that the movie score at IMDb is still rising, now it's 7. I think the box office will continue to be stable. Won't drop very quickly, especially overseas.
    Overseas markets to the rescue!