I'll never forget the first time I played Halo: Combat Evolved on the original Xbox console. I was working at Dick Smith Electronics at the time (equivalent to Fry's electronics for all the American S4TE members), the console and game arrived one morning with a huge custom built display stand from Microsoft, we set the console up and immediately loaded the demo games CD for all to see. Throughout the day I kept catching glimpses of an amazing looking FPS and hearing the eerie background music of Halo. It wasn't until the end of the day that all my team mates were finally allowed some alone time with the console.... the majority of my team and I left the site in the early hours of the morning.

I've followed the series with a passion... what's not to like about it? He's a 8ft tall genetically engineered super soldier in an ultra high tech battle suit with a super advanced AI sentient being assisting him. I bought the original Xbox console with Halo: Combat Evolved, Limited Edition Halo 2 game, Legendary Edition Halo 3 with the Limited Edition Halo Xbox 360 Console, Legendary Halo Reach and the Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary edition games all on launch days (usually pre-ordering my console and/or games to make the most of exclusive offers). After all the work I do for my company, donating time, money and manpower to community volunteering programs, valuable family time and keeping the ladies happy, this is my one true joy. I probably feel the same way about Halo as most of you feel about Transformers. I've played (and done very well) in single and multi-player tournaments, collected some of the merchandise (a couple of figurines and T-Shirts) and kept up to date with all the latest news from Halo Way point via 343 Industries, Xbox live and Microsoft.

Several years have passed, the console has evolved and so has the Halo series. It's now one of the biggest and most profitable sectors of the Microsoft Corporation. It alone generates billions of dollars every year in games sales, merchandise, Xbox live memberships and more. That is the number one reason why Microsoft and 343 Industries are being very, very careful about the idea of a Halo movie. One bad director, producer, story line and movie could damage their multi-billion dollar baby. Peter Jackson was rumoured to have been offered the rights to the movie but they parted ways on creative differences, the only other people talented enough to handle a movie (trilogy) of this magnitude might be James Cameron or Ridley Scott. Sorry Bay fans, I do not hate Michael’s talented work but I personally do not think he has the expertise to handle this project.

The time has come for a new trilogy and a new console. Microsoft are not giving away very much about the new console but 343 Industries are slowly but surely drip feeding the eager masses with tantalising videos, pics and extra’s on Xbox live. I for one cannot wait to get my hands on the Legendary Edition Halo 4 and the new console!

Goodbye Battlefield and COD… game over!

2011 teaser trailer

2012 Halo 4: First look.

http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/games/halo4/Overview