Thread: TF4: Whats the Deal? Final Film, or Start of the New Trilogy?

Default TF4: Whats the Deal? Final Film, or Start of the New Trilogy?

Before Bay was officially signed on for TF4, Paramount was hell bent on more TF films, aiming for another trilogy. So much so, that they were willing to do TF4 and 5 back to back. But now, since Bay has been confirmed for the fourth, all news concerning the desired 5th and 6th have ceased to exist. This concerns me for a number of reasons. Bay only signed on for the 4th, and has recently stated that he wants the next film to be more like the final hour of DoTM. I dont know about you, but thats not how I want a new trilogy to start off. That sounds more like a finale, rather than a new beginning.

My main point is that, I hope both Paramount, Bay, the writer, and whoever else, look into the future of these films and take that into consideration when making the 4th. Either the 4th is the last, or it isnt, and i hope they are dead certain on their decisions. Bay sounds as though he is going to go all out once again, and most likely will not return after that (so he will say). TF4 will obviously be a huge success, and more films will be made, but will they be a continuation as well? Itd make sense that they are going to be sequels, but Hollywood screws around so much and constantly change their minds. Basically, i hope they are treating this as a bigger picture. If Bay has no intentions on returning for a 5th, I hope he doesnt approach the 4th like he did with DoTM... It being the end. I want TF4 to be made with the intentions of the story and characters continuing on, with or without Bay at the helm.

This is just a thought, i dont like the talk of this film being even bigger than DoTM, i think thats what scares me most. Plus i dont like the news of TF's overall silver screen future suddenly fading to the shadows. but then you have to wonder, all this change is obviously being made for more than a single film right?. i think im just getting paranoid, haha! Leave your thoughts below!
    "Your nothing . . . . . . But Sentinel's Bitch!"

Default Re: TF4: Whats the Deal? Final Film, or Start of the New Trilogy?

i love the TF films, but i think the movies needs to end.

Quote Originally Posted by eagc7 View Post
    i love the TF films, but i think the movies needs to end.
    I want them to continue, mainly because i dont feel like we have gotten the perfect Transformers film, other than TF1. The series sorta lost its way after the first. Thats why i dont want TF4 to be the last, cuz if all these changes are being made, i want to see them continue into more films.

Well if I was the director of TF I would certainly not have signed on for 4 movies all at once (P&G, TF4-5-6). Just because he didn't agree for more than 1 TF movie doesn't mean that TF4 is going to be the last. And I would take breaks in between them....say Bad Boys 3???
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

Quote Originally Posted by swishbig View Post
    Well if I was the director of TF I would certainly not have signed on for 4 movies all at once (P&G, TF4-5-6). Just because he didn't agree for more than 1 TF movie doesn't mean that TF4 is going to be the last. And I would take breaks in between them....say Bad Boys 3???
    Well yea, but my point is that they need to really figure out if they will go through w/ an entire new trilogy, whether Bay returns for a 5th or not. I dont want Bay saying he isnt going to return for a 5th, and then feels obligated to treat the 4th like DoTM, making it his departure form the series in the biggest way possible, leaving his mark. A new trilogy shouldnt start that way, it doesnt have to be huge. Whether he comes back for a 5th or not, TF4 has to be made with 5 and 6 in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by almostthethird15 View Post
    I want them to continue, mainly because i dont feel like we have gotten the perfect Transformers film, other than TF1. The series sorta lost its way after the first. Thats why i dont want TF4 to be the last, cuz if all these changes are being made, i want to see them continue into more films.
    Well if Bay does me a favor by briging back the 3 main cons (or at least 1 or 2 of them) i'll glady accept more films

I think Michael agreed on TF4 only because of the P&G deal. After that he won't return again. After TF4 it'll be a complete reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    I think Michael agreed on TF4 only because of the P&G deal. After that he won't return again. After TF4 it'll be a complete reboot.
    that would make me angry. to me thats like, why the heck is there even going to be a fourth? Megatron and the main cons are all dead and they gotta bring in a new villain and army, the whole cast is completely different, and we finally get more focus on the transformers... and for what?!, ... one movie!!!!??? reboot my butt! i just dont see the logic in that whatsoever. They seem so excited about this change they are doing to the films, that i cant imagine only one film is their goal, with or without michael.

Megatron and the main cons are all dead and they gotta bring in a new villain and army, the whole cast is completely different, and we finally get more focus on the transformers... and for what?!, ... one movie!!!!??? reboot my butt! i just dont see the logic in that whatsoever.
    Well technically speaking ROTF and DOTM brought new villains (The Fallen, Sentinel, Shockwave) and armies (Constructicons, Dreads) just for the single movie and all were killed. So this could happen with TF4 too. And if indeed TF4 is Michael's last TF movie then I'm sure he would love to leave the franchise with the biggest scale-Unicron. And nobody said that the cast will be completely different. Some Autobots and humans will surely return. I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    Well technically speaking ROTF and DOTM brought new villains (The Fallen, Sentinel, Shockwave) and armies (Constructicons, Dreads) just for the single movie and all were killed. So this could happen with TF4 too. And if indeed TF4 is Michael's last TF movie then I'm sure he would love to leave the franchise with the biggest scale-Unicron. And nobody said that the cast will be completely different. Some Autobots and humans will surely return. I guess.
    yea, i knew about the autobots returning, and to me they are all that really matter to me. i just wouldnt want to see them finally get the spotlight but it resulting in only one movie until the unnavoidable reboot. and yea, we did get new villains in TF2 and 3, but Megatron, Starscream, and Soundwave were all a part of the shinanigans having more screen time than the new villain (RoTF), or just as much (DoTM). A new standalone villain without those 3 even present, id like to see have the time to become a true threat and memorable to audiences throughout more than one film.

A new standalone villain without those 3 even present, id like to see have the time to become a true threat and memorable to audiences throughout more than one film.
    Well Unicron and Galvatron always go together so I guess if we have Unicron then Megatron fans will be happy to see his incarnation as Galvatron. And for me Cyclonus is the best executed villain from G1. So I would love to see him take Starscream's place.

I hope TF4 is rather different. For me, DOTM will always be the end of the transformers trilogy. TF4 should bring in alot of new elements, completely reset the stakes and focus on different things, making it more like an addition to the trilogy, not a part of the trilogy itself. Kinda like The Hobbit and LOTR, just that it will be continuation, not a prequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Crainy View Post
    I hope TF4 is rather different. For me, DOTM will always be the end of the transformers trilogy. TF4 should bring in alot of new elements, completely reset the stakes and focus on different things, making it more like an addition to the trilogy, not a part of the trilogy itself. Kinda like The Hobbit and LOTR, just that it will be continuation, not a prequel.
    Agree.

I still would like to see a darker, dryer, duller take on Transformers. Take the tone of District 9 for example. Play on the concept of 'Robots in Disguise' a little more. Somehow bring back the magic of the G1 animated movie but in a modern day setting. Reboot would be fine with me - although kind of weird with Bay directing it. Unicron would be a pretty awesome thing to see done well. Combiners that don't look like gorilla's would be pretty nice too. As much as I love the organic and alien look that the Bayformers have, somehow I would love to see them look just a little more G1 style, but not boxy like the cartoons. Just a balance between organic and identifiable parts of their alt forms.

Quote Originally Posted by Crainy View Post
    Yea, i feel like DoTM ended on a good note and got the series back on track after RoTF, but still leaving much to work on. I want this new trilogy, to add on and fix things that the first trilogy failed at. To me, id rather it continue and fix its mistakes, rather than simply restarting after the fourth just so the reboot films can reshow us the same stuff and take another 6 years to get it to where the series already is today. so like i said, i hope Paramount and Bay are looking at the overall future of the series, deciding early on if theres going to be a 5th and 6th, so the new trilogy can begin and grow into something awesome.

I see TFs 4 going the direction of generation 2 in the Cartoons. I can see a few main TFs like Bee and Optimus moving on and maybe Ratchet but I see a whole new bot cast for the most part being introduced.

I think Michael has to try to prevent TF4 from becoming formulaic.

In a sense. The first 3 films became formulaic. Not so much the first because I think the original was a nice blend of balance with well timed comedy, well timed dramatic moments and great bot/con battles.

However beyond that. I feel like the 3 films became very formulaic.

Examples

All 3 films feature

1. A government antagonist - Simmons who came to his senses admittedly by the end of the first film. Then you had the dude whose name I forget in the 2nd film and the chick from the 3rd film. They became very filler except for Simmons and the 3rd film featured a true human villain who ended up being kinda whatever by the end of the film.

2. A Hot chick - Granted this one always stirs a debate in the net weight of worth with Mikeala and Carly. You argue for Mikeala for continuity purposes. You argue Carly for a change of pace. The 4th film could go either direction (bring Fox back, though highly unlikely or bring back Rosie) or leave the hot chick out completely and focus on military humans or whoever the lead may be. Sam/Shia or otherwise.

3. Filler Villains who don't change the stakes whatsoever - In this department Shockwave and the Fallen really come to mind. Sentinel did change things and Soundwave was a minor bit player nonetheless a player. Megatron is a wash because he was a force in TF 2007 then was basically a non factor in the sequels. Starscream made all 3 films but then sorta went out with a whimper which was disappointing. He was Megatron's right hand Con and went out with a dud. Hopefully Unicron/Galvatron or whomever really changes the landscape. By that I mean if everyone involved knows this franchise will go beyond 4 then have the big bad villain kill some bots before the end TF4 that way the villain gains some credibility and doubt for the bots. Also this opens the door for new bots to emerge from the series in general.

So again just in general. Bay has to try to make sure TF4 doesn't suffer from being formulaic much more so like ROTF/DOTM than TF 2007. Not to say ROTF and DOTM don't have their moments. IMO Revenge of the Fallen is a great Bay film if you cut down just some of the humor used and DOTM is a great, great second half movie.

Quote Originally Posted by ReDPATH View Post
    I think Michael has to try to prevent TF4 from becoming formulaic.

In a sense. The first 3 films became formulaic. Not so much the first because I think the original was a nice blend of balance with well timed comedy, well timed dramatic moments and great bot/con battles.

However beyond that. I feel like the 3 films became very formulaic.

Examples

All 3 films feature

1. A government antagonist - Simmons who came to his senses admittedly by the end of the first film. Then you had the dude whose name I forget in the 2nd film and the chick from the 3rd film. They became very filler except for Simmons and the 3rd film featured a true human villain who ended up being kinda whatever by the end of the film.

2. A Hot chick - Granted this one always stirs a debate in the net weight of worth with Mikeala and Carly. You argue for Mikeala for continuity purposes. You argue Carly for a change of pace. The 4th film could go either direction (bring Fox back, though highly unlikely or bring back Rosie) or leave the hot chick out completely and focus on military humans or whoever the lead may be. Sam/Shia or otherwise.

3. Filler Villains who don't change the stakes whatsoever - In this department Shockwave and the Fallen really come to mind. Sentinel did change things and Soundwave was a minor bit player nonetheless a player. Megatron is a wash because he was a force in TF 2007 then was basically a non factor in the sequels. Starscream made all 3 films but then sorta went out with a whimper which was disappointing. He was Megatron's right hand Con and went out with a dud. Hopefully Unicron/Galvatron or whomever really changes the landscape. By that I mean if everyone involved knows this franchise will go beyond 4 then have the big bad villain kill some bots before the end TF4 that way the villain gains some credibility and doubt for the bots. Also this opens the door for new bots to emerge from the series in general.

So again just in general. Bay has to try to make sure TF4 doesn't suffer from being formulaic much more so like ROTF/DOTM than TF 2007. Not to say ROTF and DOTM don't have their moments. IMO Revenge of the Fallen is a great Bay film if you cut down just some of the humor used and DOTM is a great, great second half movie.
    I agree 100%. Ive been telling myself this for a while now also. The set up of all the films is very predictable and similar. Luckily, I think Bay realizes this, and he's gained alot of my trust with how he listened to the fans when making DoTM. But yes, like I said, and what you said, hopefully TF4 paves the way for more films whether he does or doesnt direct the 5th.