Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updated: DOTM Blu-ray 3D Color/brightness

Default Updated: DOTM Blu-ray 3D Color/brightness

So why was it when I skimmed through various scenes on the 3D disc tonight that I had by far the worst picture I've ever seen from a 3D blu-ray? This is a movie that I consider having the best 3D I had seen to date (better than Avatar), and I typically find the blu-ray 3D to be better than theatre 3D. To be fair, the issue with the picture isn't really the 3D aspect, but the terrible color. It is extremely over saturated and just looks very poor. The 2D disc that was released earlier did not look anything like this (neither did it look like this in the theatre).

I haven't checked the special features yet, but right now I'm very disappointed. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

Default Re: So the wait was supposedly for the 3D to be done right...

u should check ur tv settings

Something on you're end buddy, Have seen it around 4 times now on my 3D TV and its easily the best looking out of all my 3D blu rays, In fact I think its flawless, I am very pleased w/ waiting to buy this movie in 3D. I have also seen it on around three other 3D TV's and they all looked identical which just means jaw-dropping, lol, Colors look fantastic as well.

It will be your tv ssettings
    if you are using Panasonic tv set it to game mode rather then cinema as will make the colors more vibrant

Quote Originally Posted by jasonsportscards View Post
    It will be your tv ssettings
    if you are using Panasonic tv set it to game mode rather then cinema as will make the colors more vibrant
    My TV settings are fine. Everything else looks great. 2D blu-rays, 3D blu-rays, the 2D Dark of the Moon, Satellite, it's all good. Only this one single disc looks like this. And I've tried it in multiple 3D blu-ray players as well.

Try a different disc?

I've checked around at various forums and it appears I'm not the only one who is noticing this. I can try swapping it at the store for another disc, but I'm not too confident that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by ChldsPlay
    I've checked around at various forums and it appears I'm not the only one who is noticing this. I can try swapping it at the store for another disc, but I'm not too confident that will work.
    You must have a defective disc. Mine looks and sounds perfect.

Default DOTM Blu-ray 3D Color/brightness is off from the 2d

I was watching the 3d version and color or brightness was weird, but then I checked on some forums and people are having the same issue.

Here is a link to the AVSforums(if this link is not allowed you can remove it)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post21589350

My equipment is a JVC rs40 3d Calibrated to D65. The screenshots show the difference anyways.

Default Re: DOTM Blu-ray 3D Color/brightness is off from the 2d

There's already a thread with this issue:

http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum...-be-done-right

Some people say that this is the best 3D Blu-ray released so far and some people have big troubles. Maybe there are some faulty batch of discs.

Quote Originally Posted by space2001 View Post
    I was watching the 3d version and color or brightness was weird, but then I checked on some forums and people are having the same issue.

Here is a link to the AVSforums(if this link is not allowed you can remove it)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post21589350

My equipment is a JVC rs40 3d Calibrated to D65. The screenshots show the difference anyways.
    AVS is filled with extreme videophiles, so they're going to notice the tiniest of details. Is it a little dimmer than the 2D version? Probably, but I didn't notice when I first watched my disc. (although I'll probably notice it now the next time I watch, thanks).

Taken from that AVS thread. >>> "Weird thing I noticed: the 3D movie gets dimmer the longer it goes on. I exported the maximum luma values of every frame into a CSV and graphed it using Veusz (which was the only program I could find that would plot a graph from a data set of 220k values)." <<<< I have no idea what any of this means, and neither do the 98% of people who bought this disc. I don't think it's as big a problem as some are making it.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    AVS is filled with extreme videophiles, so they're going to notice the tiniest of details. Is it a little dimmer than the 2D version? Probably, but I didn't notice when I first watched my disc. (although I'll probably notice it now the next time I watch, thanks).

Taken from that AVS thread. >>> "Weird thing I noticed: the 3D movie gets dimmer the longer it goes on. I exported the maximum luma values of every frame into a CSV and graphed it using Veusz (which was the only program I could find that would plot a graph from a data set of 220k values)." <<<< I have no idea what any of this means, and neither do the 98% of people who bought this disc. I don't think it's as big a problem as some are making it.

^THIS.

Those people are crazy.

The reason some 3D TV color on some systems might not look perfect? Well because there is no standards in 3D. It sounds stupid doesn't it. When we color transfer we spend weeks on a single format. Six weeks on the feature, then weeks additional on DVD, then weeks more on 3D. Every single shot might have brightness windows color moves high light adds. My colors on almost every one of my films have had almost perfect color space scores. I'm the guy who did the first - film to digital - digital transfer release on a movie - Bad Boys 2. I know color and telecine equipment better then almost any director out there. But when I started doing my 3D transfer with the most talented color telecine expert in the world, my buddy Stephan. He told me 3D is fucked. There is no standard to the equipment it is the wild west right now. So if it looks bad it's your product. We aimed color space for the most the equipment that has the biggest market share. In our room it looked perfect. So I'm sorry but it's your equipment. Tell the business to standardize and it will all look perfect in the future. Sorry.

Michael

Well, there you have it.

Yep, that's why I'm still sticking with my 2D LCD TV. The 3D home systems still have a long way to go.

Thanks for clearing things up Mr. Bay. I guess Sony is one of those company's then because I love the way it looks on my TV in 3D, could not be happier. Hope you guys out there w/ the problems figure it out because this movie blows all the other ones out of the water.

Thanks for educating us on this issue and for helping these guys out Michael!

Yeah i love Sony too they always have excellent products.
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...
    I'm a decepticon and my name is _____ All Hail Megatron!

Default Re: Updated: DOTM Blu-ray 3D Color/brightness

Has the retail 3D disc been viewed by Michael Bay himself? Seems like the 3D getting progressively darker shouldn't be happening especially if it's brighter then 2D in the beginning to compensate for 3D glasses dimming.
    You can't spell film without ILM - Industrial Light and Magic

I like my 2d, and plus my mom says 3d hurts her eyes

Can Mr Bay and/or Paramount please have a look at the 3D retail Blu-ray disc? There is a big brightness drop that happens at around the 40-50 minute mark which doesn't seem like what would or should of happened in the grading process. Something may have gone wrong in the encoding process at Paramount.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post21607965
    The link compares the brightness of whites captured direct from disc earlier in the movie to scenes after the 40-50 minute mark. I would nice to have this exact issue addressed. As you can see in the link other 2D vs 3D comparisons have been done and none of them have these problems which isn't a result from the grading. The recent Harry Potter 3D graded by Peter Doyle doesn't have this problem either if anything the brightness is turned up consistently.
    You can't spell film without ILM - Industrial Light and Magic

Banned

wonder which TV Michael has.. or does he have one of those in house cinemas? anyone know?

A question to the people here with 3D TVs:
    Did you have similar problems with other 3D movies? Is it normal that some movies look good on some TVs and some don't?

I think you guys are getting things mixed up.

If you compare the 2d blu-ray to the 3d blu-ray(exact screenshots off the disc not pictures off a TV.) There is a brightness drop around the 40-50 minute mark as noted on AVSforum.

I understand why people would think it is the 3d television, but the fact that its direct screenshots off the disc shows the difference.

I think its funny how people are saying its the blu ray when 50/50 are saying the opposite. Obviously its not the blu ray, everyone I know is content with the picture quality through out the entire movie, there is no drop in brightness for me or over saturated colors. Mr. Bay specifically stated that there is no standards for different 3D TV's, this is the same with Black levels and color ratio's for regular HDTV's its the individual company that sets its black and color ratios not through the standards of another HDTV company. if anyone here can back me up, its a standard set by the company not the different products as a whole. The same thing is happening here with 3DTV's.