Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resurrection or Originality for TF4, That is the Question

Default Resurrection or Originality for TF4, That is the Question

Seeing as how TF4 is obviously going to be a reality, along with more films after that, an interesting question comes up... Who will be the villain? In TF3, we witnessed the demise of the Decepticons' most well known members. Who could possibly pose a threat to the Autobots for round 4? Taking the route from the many cartoon versions, it would be obvious to resurrect Megatron into his Galvatron form, or something similar. But does that pose as redundant considering the events of ROTF? By the time these films are over, Megatron would have suffered a whopping 3 deaths!!! Is this wise?

I for one would be all for a resurrection. I would just simply put up with it, cuz frankly, I dont think that Megatron got the glory he deserved. In TF1, we witnessed an awesome, violent, and incredibly villainous side to him. After that, things went down hill. The leader of the Decepticons went all Star Wars on us, revealing himself as an apprentice type figure to the fallen. While an interesting concept, he came off as weak, and got his a$$ beat. In DoTM, we watched a rusting and falling apart Megatron go to the lengths of screaming at the animals of the African Savanah to worship him. Not only that, but got kicked to the curb once again by Sentinal Prime, only to sulk in an alley and randomly have the human Carly come up to him to happily state, "Your just Sentinal's B***ch." Clearly, the poor guy deserves some payback. But, after how Megatron was portrayed in the films, could we be promised with a Bad A$$ Galvatron, or will the resurrection be treated as yet another waste for Megatron's story and power status.

Another interesting thought that I'm all Pro for, would be... Why not create a completely original Villain? In todays current Hollywood, originality has been disgraced. Every film must come from an original version, a book, back story, etc, sticking incredibly close to the source and its characters. What exactly would be the harm of something new to the transormers universe? Nobody would have the right to complain about how that particular character didnt live up to their original childhood memories, bc he would be fresh. The team behind the films have created many original and incredible designs for the random Decepticons throughout the films, so why not let that originality and creativity be set free on a new main antagonist? Everybody could benifit from it, cuz its something new for fans of any tpye, reinventing the next 3 films. Why set up the story in a way that have been done a million times over in multiple transformers cartoon series'?? You have to ask yourself, is this idea worth witnessing? would this be the end of your world?, i dont think so. In my eyes, this is definately a fun and interesting possibility.

So what are your thoughts? Has Megatron already thrown his chances of revenge down the drain? Are the writers trust worthy enough in giving him the role he deserves? Or, Do you see room for the films to gain a new original Decepticon to take his place, throwing aside the similar story arc of resurrection seen so many times before over the years?

Default Re: Resurrection or Originality for TF4, That is the Question

The problem with resurrection is that it ends up taking away the emotional impact of death. If a hero character dies for example, you're suppose to feel sad, not think "meh, he's gonna come back to life soon." Dead characters should stay dead.

They cannot bring back Megatron again. I don't care if they rename him Galvatron. It would be stupid. When Optimus gloriously ripped off his head, I pretty much knew it was over. That's what it felt like. Also, they would probably not make the same mistake when disposing the body. I'm willing to bet they had him and the Decepticons melted down to scrap this time around.

If TF4 is coming, new villains please. If it has to be Galvatron, make him a separate character. It's been done before in the comics.

very good point. like i said about how Megatron would die a total of 3 times, whats the point in bringing him back again if you KNOW he is just going to end up dead again. whether it be the classic transformers, beast wars, transformers prime, or anything in between, megatron has always faced the power of resurection. whats the point in witnessing it on screen again in some other fashion? all these cartoons keep repeating things with these characters, so it shouldnt be heart breaking to see someone new in the next movies, original or not.

another interesting thought is to have Megatron exist through flashbacks, so he could still be a part of the films in some small way. If the fourth film is going to focus more on character like whoever supposudly said, it would be cool to see Megs appear throughout the memories of the autobots and decepticons. still have fight scenes with megatron facing bots on cybertron like Optimus, or have them being shown as friends before their fued began, despite the fact that he is dead in present time. Of course these would be small scenes of the "past," making sure not to dwell on the dead Megatron so much. ya gotta move on from him, but that doesnt mean he cant be mentioned in some ways. that could then add more of an emotional impact towards megatron when re watching DOTM.

I think the idea of having Galvatron to be a completely new and different villain from Megatron would work. I personally don't like films where it takes you through a series of flashbacks. It gets annoying by switching tenses but it does depend on what the flashbacks are for. What I liked about DOTM this time was that the Decepticons were not chasing after something that Sam had possession of. Instead he was just an annoying mosquito that got in their way. If there is a TF4, I would like it to continue from DOTM, not as an event that picks up where DOTM left off, but maybe 5 or so years later where change has occurred. Sam would be older or there would be a totally new main character. I know that not many people liked how in DOTM it was more of US Military vs Decepticons but I think that is pretty cool, it would probably be the same if real robots were to invade the Earth. They should have a something similar to DOTM, a small scale group of NEST troops with the Autobots but instead have more Autobots alongside them.

Also, the idea of having a battle scene like the forest battle in ROTF but in a snowy setting would be awesome!!! I remember this idea popped up around the same time when DOTM was announced.
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

Quote Originally Posted by swishbig View Post
    I think the idea of having Galvatron to be a completely new and different villain from Megatron would work. I personally don't like films where it takes you through a series of flashbacks. It gets annoying by switching tenses but it does depend on what the flashbacks are for. What I liked about DOTM this time was that the Decepticons were not chasing after something that Sam had possession of. Instead he was just an annoying mosquito that got in their way. If there is a TF4, I would like it to continue from DOTM, not as an event that picks up where DOTM left off, but maybe 5 or so years later where change has occurred. Sam would be older or there would be a totally new main character. I know that not many people liked how in DOTM it was more of US Military vs Decepticons but I think that is pretty cool, it would probably be the same if real robots were to invade the Earth. They should have a something similar to DOTM, a small scale group of NEST troops with the Autobots but instead have more Autobots alongside them.

Also, the idea of having a battle scene like the forest battle in ROTF but in a snowy setting would be awesome!!! I remember this idea popped up around the same time when DOTM was announced.
    i here ya on the snow idea. i keep imagining Optimus and Megatron battling in a rain storm, atop sky scrapers, with the sky so darn gloomy and horrific looking as could be. imagine all that rain pouring off of them, and Optimus going in for a punch in slow mo, where lightning strikes his fist while its pulled back behind his head, then slams it into Megatrons face, with the lightning arking across his face and head. that would be my dream death match between them i think the military thing at the end of DOTM sort of bugged me. If the fighting between the autobots and the military was evenly shown, id be all for it, but it got to the point where we didnt even see the autobots really take out many decepticons, and then they were somehow captured at some point. still, very good fight in the end.

flashback wise, i still really like the idea, but it definately wouldnt want to see it happen in all of the next films. probably not the fourth, but then do it in the fifth, and not the sixth, that way it would be nice to give some mention to him in some way, if of course its even essential for the story.
    "You're nothing . . . . . . But Sentinel's Bitch!"

Senior Member I Fight Giant Robots's Avatar

I really like when the main human hero has MAJOR involvement in the war, without stealing the spotlight from the autobots though ofcourse. For me, thats what made it accessible and 0ne of the many many reasons as to why why i enjoyed the movie opposed to the other versions. Spielberg was right about that from the beginning, and michael bay and the writers executed that very well with sam in the previous films. Theyre better off continuing that. I like every thing to be even and balanced with the importance with the main human character and the autobots when it comes to the war on our planet earth. Anyway, back on topic: As to the resurecton or not, it should not have anymore resurections, bcuz it would disregard the reality of death and the victories would seem wasted of optimus. The war would seem hopeless and endless. I like the idea of a twisted, bad different original villain...that is a gnd idea, actually. Bv he has 2 b very different and unique. And as for a final battle idea, it can b @ night!
    I Fight Giant Robots

So for now we heard rumors that there will be another trilogy which will be a sequel to the first one. Although it'll happen in the same universe I'm pretty sure that whoever directs the movies will take a different approach from the first 3 movies. Even if Michael directs it I believe he''ll make something different. There is nothing more that you can do in terms of a battle that takes place in a human city. We also heard the rumors that TF4 and TF5 will be shot back to back and Ehren Krueger is working on a script that will expand over the two parts. So it'll actually be a 5 hour TF movie. So here is a great opportunity for a great and complex story. I really don't mind if the villain will be a completely new character or one from the TF universe but definitely no resurrections this time. The movie has proven that there are many new characters that are loved by the fans - Blackout, Barricade, Jolt, The Driller etc. Also I won't be surprised if we see a collaboration movie between Autobots and Decepticons against a common enemy. I even think that The Quintessons would work just fine if done well, although the budget of the movie will increase rapidly. And TF Prime showed that Unicron is not so hard to achieve.
    Still everything depends on the story. If they won't be able to come up with something new and interesting the movie might be delayed a few more months and honestly i prefer that instead of a rushed movie. Honestly I was hoping that they'll choose a new writer for a change but for now the rumors point back the Ehren. We'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    Even if Michael directs it I believe he''ll make something different. There is nothing more that you can do in terms of a battle that takes place in a human city. We also heard the rumors that TF4 and TF5 will be shot back to back and Ehren Krueger is working on a script that will expand over the two parts. So it'll actually be a 5 hour TF movie. So here is a great opportunity for a great and complex story. I really don't mind if the villain will be a completely new character or one from the TF universe but definitely no resurrections this time. The movie has proven that there are many new characters that are loved by the fans - Blackout, Barricade, Jolt, The Driller etc. Also I won't be surprised if we see a collaboration movie between Autobots and Decepticons against a common enemy. I even think that The Quintessons would work just fine if done well, although the budget of the movie will increase rapidly. And TF Prime showed that Unicron is not so hard to achieve.
    Still everything depends on the story. If they won't be able to come up with something new and interesting the movie might be delayed a few more months and honestly i prefer that instead of a rushed movie. Honestly I was hoping that they'll choose a new writer for a change but for now the rumors point back the Ehren. We'll see...

Exactly. Seeing as how the first 3 films are basically the kings of movie action, the series is able to afford slowing things down a bit. It is the perfect oppurtunity after the craziness of DOTM. Its not something that they should do, I think its something that they "have" to do. It actually feels like if they dont slow things down for the next film or two and add more depth to this world, they would ultimately be risking the series by adding nothing more to it, leaving no real reason to come back to the franchise. Change will have to come, from both director, story approach, ect. After seeing people's comments on here, i think i've now convinced myself that i really wouldnt be all that down for a Megatron resurrection. I really hope the writers and the studio use the oppurtunity to make a unique and new threat, that contributes to an incredible and engaging story for the transformers.

I don't know but to me, I wouldn't want a 2 part TF movie. I'm not a fan of it, like in HP the first part was really boring. It was to build up all the excitement for the second part which ended up being really good. Although I am a TF fan and would pay to go see a 15 hour TF movie it doesn't mean that I would enjoy the whole thing. I think 2 and half hour long movies fit Transformers the best.
    "I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

I don't know that I need to make much of an argument for this...but If Bay gives us Dinobots and Unicron I think we will have an awesome 4 and 5.

Bring back Megatron, Starscream and/or Soundwave or otherwise i'll be mad at bay and never accept anymore tf sequels, cause for me Transformers is no longer TF is they are kept dead, plus i'll not accept new villians if they are kept dead

please bay, bring megatron, starscream and/or soundwave i beg you! please! do it for me! i love the tf movies, but if you keep them dead i will not happy if you continue with the movies, so please bring them back!

Quote Originally Posted by eagc7 View Post
    Bring back Megatron, Starscream and/or Soundwave or otherwise i'll be mad at bay and never accept anymore tf sequels, cause for me Transformers is no longer TF is they are kept dead, plus i'll not accept new villians if they are kept dead

please bay, bring megatron, starscream and/or soundwave i beg you! please! do it for me! i love the tf movies, but if you keep them dead i will not happy if you continue with the movies, so please bring them back!
    Then you have to pray that Michael won't do the new trilogy. Because if he is the director you can be sure that there won't be Megatron.
    MB: "This time characters that die in DOTM will stay dead".

start another version through the multiverse where both verses may join up if wanted

otherwise start fresh again with cliffjumper and another star male getting buddies, maybe more focus on bullies walking down the alley way and then boom cj transforms!!

perhaps we can angle it as OP and the others were in this part of the world then we take a different perspective from another part of the world and see what some other autobots were doing and why they couldnt help defend as they were defending in other areas

or we could go into the future and have the beast wars, the decadents of the tfs in another war. the fighting style would be more physical and in the jungles desert where the humans have trouble gaining access

I like the idea of a new threat. Maybe the Quintessions or msybe steal an idea from the comics and have a third faction of Transformers that neither Autobot, or Decepticon know about. If you must bring Megatron back have Prime make the decision to bring him back to help with the new threat maybe Megatron knows something the Autobots dont, have him redeem himself that way.

The problem I have with bringing Megatron, and company back as villains is they've had to lose 3 times already, and any more defeats will make them look like saps. Personally I thought kicking Sentinels ass, then taunting Prime one last time was a fitting way to end Megatrons role as a main villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    Then you have to pray that Michael won't do the new trilogy. Because if he is the director you can be sure that there won't be Megatron.
    MB: "This time characters that die in DOTM will stay dead".
    i'll still see TF4, but i wont NOWHERE excited not even with huge anticipation for the upcoming sequels, if bay doesnt bring him back

should be noted that i even have anger problems at night whenever i remember TF4 without any of those 3 (even pulled my hair on day on my anger attacks)

Plans always chance, thus bay could bring back anyone that died in past movies in TF4 if he desires.

Why not Bay can simply zombied the 3 main cons (you know bring the dark energon thing and make them in zombies)

i can just imagine audiences getting fed up and bored if Megatron and the crew come back... the series itself gets enough negative heat already as it is, so i dont think repeating a resurrection for a second time would be wise. like i said, if they really wanted to bring Megatron back in some way, it should be a flashback thing. if we are going to be learning more about the bots and their world, (automatically assuming Optimus's rise to his current status being mentioned somewhere), it would be neat to see Megatron involved in past stories somehow. but its not something that should be dwelled on or over done. just the fact that your getting to see him once again in a new light should be enough, no matter how much they show of something like that. the films must move in a new direction for the next trilogy.

if they are to make a trilogy, then it would be cool to see decepticons win at the end in the 4th or 5th movie. Obviously in the 6th autobots should win. But it would surprise everyone when the decepticons win for once and i think that would be different. In every movie you expect the heroes to win so you pretty much know the end. but this might surprise people. what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord View Post
    if they are to make a trilogy, then it would be cool to see decepticons win at the end in the 4th or 5th movie. Obviously in the 6th autobots should win. But it would surprise everyone when the decepticons win for once and i think that would be different. In every movie you expect the heroes to win so you pretty much know the end. but this might surprise people. what do you think?
    I would actually love that a lot haha! It's weird, cuz in harry potter, the death of characters was always something that I would look forward to seeing on film after reading the books. That sounds weird, but for me, it was the fact that it was going to be an emotional and powerful moment, something that always got my heart pounding out of my chest. It's strange, cuz the fact that a death occurred, it somehow makes the movie all that more better with that sense of loss. Don't know if that makes sense, kind of hard to explain. But a loss for the autobots would definitely bring a new emotional impact to the series.

Quote Originally Posted by almostthethird15 View Post
    I would actually love that a lot haha! It's weird, cuz in harry potter, the death of characters was always something that I would look forward to seeing on film after reading the books. That sounds weird, but for me, it was the fact that it was going to be an emotional and powerful moment, something that always got my heart pounding out of my chest. It's strange, cuz the fact that a death occurred, it somehow makes the movie all that more better with that sense of loss. Don't know if that makes sense, kind of hard to explain. But a loss for the autobots would definitely bring a new emotional impact to the series.
    Ya i know what you mean. It doesnt necessarily have to be death though. Kinda like dark knight. Basically the hero falls at the end.

Senior Member I Fight Giant Robots's Avatar

That's what I was thinking, except I don't think it should be done at the end of a one part movie. I think that should only be done if there's a two part movie. Like, one part the dcons win. 2nd the autobots get back. Otherwise, you'd pretty much have to wait two years to see the autobots finally back on top. haha i like how the autobots win, but i would like bigger threats to happen to them, so their victory is even bigger at the end. but i loved how all of the three movies were done, anyway, so anythings good for me.
    I Fight Giant Robots

Quote Originally Posted by swishbig View Post
    I don't know but to me, I wouldn't want a 2 part TF movie. I'm not a fan of it, like in HP the first part was really boring. It was to build up all the excitement for the second part which ended up being really good. Although I am a TF fan and would pay to go see a 15 hour TF movie it doesn't mean that I would enjoy the whole thing. I think 2 and half hour long movies fit Transformers the best.
    well, a back to back film wouldnt completely mean that its one giant movie. If it was one big movie, then we would be refering to the next films as TF4-Part 1, and TF4-Part 2. I keep looking at the TF b2b idea as a Pirates of the Caribbean kind of thing. Pirates 2 and 3 were shot back to back, but yet each was a different kind of film with a different feel, and both had a good dose of action. the pro to them being back to back was that, the story of Pirates 2 continued on into 3, while each still existed as something entirely different. of course, you could argue this is exactly what happened w/ HP, both parts were completely different even tho it was one big film. you could even go on and say Pirates 2 and 3 were practically one big movie itself. But!... my point being, is that both pirate films delivered on the action while sticking to one big story and creating a different feel for both. just cuz the first half of harry potter was slow, doesnt mean the same for 2 films of a different sort that are filmed in a similar time span.

so TF4 and 5 can be shot back to back, and each have a nice amount of action about them, they will just have the oppurtunity to expand upon a particular story. I think this is a good thing, instead of fitting a whole seperate story into one film. if people want more story and character focus, then i think 2 films largely connected to one another is the way to go. theres obviously not enough time to give the fans the awesome action and interesting story they deserve in one film... well, i mean you could!, you just wouldnt have a full 30min battle at the end!, instead maybe a fifteen min battle lol. i think the people behind the films realize the fans desire a deeper insight into the TF world, and this is the actual purpose of the b2b idea... to please the fans

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Actually, this would fit perfectly with what I was thinking. Another trilogy could begin with with the majority of the original Decepticons dead and Cybertron either gone or in worse shape than it was before. New Autobots have joined the ones on Earth. Don't NOT include the Autobots who are there: Sideswipe, B, Ratchet, Dino, the Wreckers, and Prime. Ironhide is still dead, Jazz is still dead, Wheelie and Brains are assumed dead (though I could be okay with them living if they're like they were in this movie). Have Ultra Magnus, Rodimus (Hot Rod), Springer, Kup, and Grimlock join the Autobots on Earth. It's been very quiet with only a few Decepticons here and there to fight. Earth has long range sensors in addition to Energon detectors so they know when protoforms are landing. What they don't expect is an entire ship to appear in orbit and a bunch of Decepticons to decend from it. The Autobots learn that these Decepticons are lead by the maniacal Galvatron. Cyclonus, Scourge, Sweeps, Astrotrain, and the Predacons. They're sole purpose is the absolute eradication of humanity and the Autobots and the "preparation" of Earth. No on knows what the "preparation" is for but Galavatron keeps saying that. Somewhere in the 5th movie, Prime dies for good but the the Autbots and Decepticons discover he no no longer has the Matrix. Where did it go? Where has he hidden it? The race is on to find the Matrix. Still not sure what role Sam will play but he will certainly be in it and married to Carly. At the end of the 5th movie, Galvatron finds the Matrix smiles and says "Unicron, my Master, with this I shall make you my slave." 6th movie begins the Decepticons setting up a defensive perimeter around Earth and the Autobtos in virtual hiding trying to figure out what to do. They ally with nations of Earth for a MASSIVE counter-offensive, culminating in a finale in orbit. Rodimus confronts Galvatron on the Decepticon mother ship just as Unicron appears in Earth's orbit. Unicron's gravitational pull causes huge natural disasters on Earth. And what we learn is that's his way of consuming a planet as mountains, rivers, buildings, etc. start getting pulled into orbit into Unicron's "mouth." Rodimus defeats Galvatron and retrieves the Matrix. Instead of opening it, it levitates towards his chest. His chest plate opens as we here Optimus say something like he said in the cartoon movie "Arise Rodimus Prime." At this point, Rodimus Prime is piloting the Decepticon ship into a screaming and furious Unicron, guns blazing. The ship breaks up on entry into Unicron and Rodimus is falls shooting everywhere. He lands, fighting Unicron's internal defenses. He is searching for the Unicron's spark, knowing he's a Transformer. He finds it and instinctively shoves the Matrix inside. The Matrix shaped spark explodes and is cast out. Rodimus picks it up, transforms and rolls for his life as Unicron begins to self-destruct from inside. A now transformed Unicron begin losing limbs as he moves out of Earth orbit. Rodimus exits from Unicron's eye, transforms in space as Unicorn explodes just outside of the Moon's orbit. All of Earth cheers (like in ID4) as Rodimus is propelled towards Earth. Astrotrain, now freed from Unicron's servitude, retrieves him and lands on Earth. A truce is made between the Autobots and Decepticons as the mutual threat is gone. Galvatron is no where to be found but Cyclonus vows the war isn't over and this truce is short-lived. An intense Ultra Magnus tells Cyclonus the Autobots will always defend Earth, no matter the cost. Cyclonus, Scourge, Astrtrain, and the Sweeps transform and leave Earth in search of Galvatron. The Trilogy ends.

This was just an idea, based on my knowledge of the G1 cartoon.

Please do not post any plot idea. OK?
    http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum...ement.php?f=12