Thread: Live-action Akira movie in the works

Default Live-action Akira movie in the works

Coming next year, Warner Brothers will do a live-action 2 part movie based on the popular Japanese animated masterpiece of Sci-fi and the popular comic books.

Leonardo Dicaprio is set to produce the film.

Default Re: Live-action Akira movie in the works

Unfortunately the movie production was shut down for a 5th time 2 weeks ago.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...er-bros-278729

Default Akira 2 & 3

Coming Soon:
    Exclusive: Director Jaume Collet-Serra Dishes His Vision for Akira
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Evry
    ComingSoon.net: When you were working on "Akira"…

Collet-Serra: I'm still working on "Akira," so that's part of my life. (laughs)

CS: That's great that you're sticking with it despite the bumps in the road.

Collet-Serra: It's great that they're waiting for me. It's different, because you have to be respectful of the source material. Otomo adapted his own work from a manga into an anime and both things are completely different and genius. The only way to do a live version of "Akira" is to take the spirit and adapt it. It will be as different as the anime was from the manga.

CS: What worries myself and a lot of the other fans of the property is you have elements that are commercial and sexy, like the motorbikes or the jaw-dropping futuristic backdrop, but for the most part it's a very cerebral work. How do you maintain the essence of that without diluting it into essentially "Blade Runner: Mark 2"?

Collet-Serra: I think you cannot make a movie about "Akira" and hope that everyone understands it. Like everything else, you have to make three or four movies in one where there's the essence somewhere. If you're a fan, you already know what it's about and you'll see it's part of the same world, but trying to oversimplify it would be a mistake. I think if at some point a character tries to explain it to the audience at the end of the second act, that's a problem. It's more like an existential opera. It's something that can only be explained in the manga, and even in the anime it's hard to follow.

CS: And we all have that original anime, it's there, nothing can sully it, so if you were going to do it in live-action one would hope you would bring something new to the table. What is it you are bringing specifically that is going to make it yours?

Collet-Serra: I hope that I can bring strong characters. In the original source material, I don't think the main characters are the protagonists. What I'm hoping is to bring characters.

CS: That's true. It's one of those strange stories where you literally never see the main character that is the namesake of the film!

Collet-Serra: Nobody's interesting. Tetsuo's interesting because weird sh*t happens to him, and Kaneda is so two-dimensional. That's part of the Japanese culture, they never have strong characters. They're used as a way to move the other philosophy forward.

CS: They're ciphers.

Collet-Serra: Yeah. So hopefully in my version that will be strong, and you'll have a story that happens in that world that will show you a little bit of the mystery. Then, if you're interested, they'll make "Akira 2 & 3" then you can get deeper into it. I love the world, a lot of people love that world, so why wouldn't we indulge in it a little bit and see how it would be if it was real? Like you say I don't have to explain everything, but wouldn't you like to spend two-hours in a world of "Akira" and follow a character and be like, "that's cool"? That's all I want to offer, is two-hours in a world you can actually feel. We're working on it.

Sounds like it might follow the comics more

Dante Harper Boards Fox 2000′s ‘The Secret Of The Temple’
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE FLEMING JR
    Harper was the first writer on Edge Of Tomorrow, and it seems bizarre to me that he didn’t get credit. After all, though Warner Bros changed the title, it paid $3 million in a spec auction for the scribe’s adaptation of All You Need Is Kill, the Japanese novel by Hiroshi Sakurazaka. Other writers came and went, but usually the Writers Guild favors the first scribe who adapts a novel and in this case, was the initial propulsion for the project. I will never understand the inconsistencies of the WGA arbitration process, just as I am still surprised that the Doug Liman-directed Tom Cruise-starrer didn’t get more love for being a new intellectual property creation that was sharp, tense, funny big-scale storytelling in a summer littered with sequels. Harper is currently working with Warner Bros, Appian Way, Mad Chance and director Jaume Collet-Serra on Akira, and recently did a draft on The Last Witch Hunter for Lionsgate. He’s repped by CAA and Management 360.

The Akira Project - Live Action Trailer
    The Akira Project is a crowd-sourced, non-profit project meant to create a live action fan trailer of AKIRA.

http://www.akira-project.com/

Sounds neat.

I wonder if this might be a 2 part movie since it's a long manga and the original animated movie was like a shorter version despite being excellent. And who wants Bay as producer?

Bay would be good. The fanboy backlash on this one is going to be huge!
    A trilogy or HBO tv show would actually be a better way to tell the story.