Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Academy Awards 2012

Default Re: Academy Awards 2012

Can everybody agree with me? Hugo its a great film and it could have won Best Picture. But the special effects were very fake, picturesque and too fantastic. Ok that was the point, but what's the challenge in doing that? A lot of pictures have done that in the past. Mr. Bay said, that the magic in these films was to make fantasies look real! And that is a real achievement. All the other pictures did that, but Hugo? It's like comparing Rango vs Pineas and Ferb. Don't get me wrong, I like simple cartoons, but the complexity is very different. The amount of work!!! Fuck! The jury. They just don't get it! Example: The train station sequence in Hugo. There is astrange silhouette in the people standing waiting for the train, yes it fun, but not credible. Try to compare: Rogger Rabit or Space Jam animation vs Hop animation. It's an exaggeration but I think that was the approach.
    More artistic. Real Steal and Planet of the apes were also very photorealistic and I think that is the approach that it should be recognise. Another example: The transformation in Albert Nobbs (makeup) - Benjamin Button (VISUAL EFFECTS) And why about the sound... Just don't believe it. DOTM has the best sound ever made.
    ALL HAIL MICHAEL BAY

Booooring.

Well don't worry there's a huge battle coming in 2014 between TF4 and Avatar2.

Good to finally see Michael Bay at the Oscars (though only a video).

P.S. I don't know why the thread about the Visual Predictinator was merged with this one. It had a different purpose. Now here is a big mess. So the most important thing - this guy really invented a real Predictinator:

http://fxrant.blogspot.com/2012/01/v...my-awards.html

Quote Originally Posted by JuanCarlos View Post
    Can everybody agree with me? Hugo its a great film and it could have won Best Picture. But the special effects were very fake, picturesque and too fantastic. Ok that was the point, but what's the challenge in doing that? A lot of pictures have done that in the past. Mr. Bay said, that the magic in these films was to make fantasies look real! And that is a real achievement. All the other pictures did that, but Hugo? It's like comparing Rango vs Pineas and Ferb. Don't get me wrong, I like simple cartoons, but the complexity is very different. The amount of work!!! Fuck! The jury. They just don't get it! Example: The train station sequence in Hugo. There is astrange silhouette in the people standing waiting for the train, yes it fun, but not credible. Try to compare: Rogger Rabit or Space Jam animation vs Hop animation. It's an exaggeration but I think that was the approach.
    More artistic. Real Steal and Planet of the apes were also very photorealistic and I think that is the approach that it should be recognise. Another example: The transformation in Albert Nobbs (makeup) - Benjamin Button (VISUAL EFFECTS) And why about the sound... Just don't believe it. DOTM has the best sound ever made.
    Three words: Scorsece & film critics. Simple as that. The Academy is just a bunch of idiots who think a movie is just about drama and stuff like that.
    A great film is all about taking you to somewhere else for 2 hours or something and give you something great and unfogettable. Both Hugo and DOTM do that. But DOTM was badly received by the stupid critics and Hugo wasn't. So the Academy would've been looked bad if they gave 3 Oscars to DOTM, because it was "an awful movie" and all that shit the critics said.

And since Hugo was made by a great director (Admit it, Martin's awesome) they had to give them all those Oscars because they didn't look bad.

At least The Artist won. It was my favorite from Best Picture.

It's favoritism. Like cumon, Scorsese is one of my favorite directors. The Departed is fantastic movie, but his nomination for best picture came after 26 years in 2006, and none until this year. Obviously they are gonna give him any award they can. Oscars are almost invalid towards a good movie, cause they continuously fail to reward those who actually deserve it. The crews of all the VFX nominees should be proud - it's about the audience is. If TF franchise tanked at BO but won 33 Oscars (11 Oscars per movie), would there be 4 sequels? I highly doubt it. It's about the audience. That's all. Oscars are invalid now. This year proved it.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowinvid View Post

I have to agree, Transformers should of beaten "Hugo" such a boring movie, its the first time I wasted $22 and left half way through. Who are these people that vote? why are they not Public and accountable?Are they too open to bribes? if not the selecting committee should ne known each year after the event and changed mandatory each year.
    its not awards by peers or viewers , its awards by 12 or so people whom do not represent the general public.
    The academy is made out of about 6000 members, who all vote. The problem is that only about 1200 of them know anything about visual effects. The main award is "best movie", the other awards, for alot of voters, are just extra awards that you can vote for so you can support your favorite movie. With that said, for alot of voters it does not matter what awards your favorite movie wins as long is it is nominated for "best movie": the number of wins is what counts for them. Its a competition, not an appreciation.

Technical awards (as well as soundtrack award and some others) are usually just consolation prizes for those movies which which fail to get the best movie/best director award (if nominated to all of them).

Banned

if i was there, i would have pulled a kanye west.. would have interrupted them and said " hugo, congrats and imma let you finish, but Transformers had the best visual effects of all time"..

Senior Member Bot of Badassness's Avatar

I guess all of the 70 year old Academy voters are hard of hearing. How the hell could they not pick up on those gorgeous sounds? Not to mention one of the film reels crossed the sound piece limit.

They really need to do their research on this stuff, and not just use what is given to them.
    Top 10 Movies of 2016: Hunt for the Wilderpeople, 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, The Conjuring 2, Finding Dory, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Deadpool, Zootopia, The Nice Guys, Me Before You, Lights Out.

This was sort of dumb but at least Bay was mentioned lol!

"I BELIEVE WHATEVER DOESN'T KILL YOU, SIMPLY MAKES YOU.....STRANGER."

Quote Originally Posted by swishbig View Post
    This was sort of dumb but at least Bay was mentioned lol!

Movie: The Movie

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    This is exactly why i made a thread saying they were robbed

Very well said.
    Is Robert Fure someone important or just a blogger? I don't know much of him.

Watched Hugo's Visual Effects reel. Other than CG paper, it's all just green screen, woppie-f***ing-do. The BBC might as well get the award for one of their low budget television programs.
    Top 10 Movies of 2016: Hunt for the Wilderpeople, 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, The Conjuring 2, Finding Dory, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Deadpool, Zootopia, The Nice Guys, Me Before You, Lights Out.

Thank you Nelson, is this guy Robert a genius or the academy jury are idiots.
    Can anyone tell me if there are more complains on other web sites, because really it is an injustice! IT IS!!!
    What can we do? I want to let everyone know this, I would like to make a campain. It is a robbery. As if Daniel Day Lawis, Gary Oldman, or any other great actor was robbed an Oscar. Just because it's not the most important award it doesn't mean is not an injustice. Really is there anything we can do?
    ALL HAIL MICHAEL BAY

Oh, and Hugo's CGI looks horrible, it's not even photorealistic! It looks like it's from some animated movie, it's just animation! :head :head

Quote Originally Posted by JuanCarlos View Post
    Can anyone tell me if there are more complains on other web sites, because really it is an injustice! IT IS!!!
    What can we do? I want to let everyone know this, I would like to make a campain.
    IMDb and a bunch of other forums.

We should write a petition...

Well after the Academy voted for Hugo to win against DOTM in both sound and special effects, I have to say I have p r e t t y high hopes for the movie when it comes out in Sweden on March 16th!! It better have the best 3D ever seen on a big screen! It better blow the wingsuit scene from DOTM to oblivion when it comes to how good 3D you really can get when it's done right! When it comes to sound, I sure hope they have pushed the 7.1 sound to a whole new level! IF! the movie doesn't crush DOTM in both the special effects and how good it sounds, then all of the 6000 people who are members of the Academy, minus all of them who worked on DOTM, can line themselves in a line outside my door to my apartment and come and kiss my ass!!

It's actually pretty disrespectful to all of the artists that worked on DOTM's CGI that they can't get their award because Hollywood has some grudge with Bay. Those guys took long as hours and painstaking patience (as well as $#!+ tons of stress) to get those efefcts done, workign their butts off than any other effects team in the industry, hust for a Green screen slap in the face.

It's insulting!

Quote Originally Posted by Albershide View Post
    Very well said.
    Is Robert Fure someone important or just a blogger? I don't know much of him.
    Considering he using phrases like 'retardingly amazing' and 'Transformers was fucking robbed', I highly doubt that. Whilst I agree that Transformers was robbed, due to nothing more than a snob attitude, the blog looks like it was written by a 16 year old. I can't it doing Bay any favours by having it posted up on his site.
    I've always defended Michael Bay against attacks that his films are full of stupid explosions, girls in underwear and mindless characters... but then he made Transformers 2 and I conceded...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kevski View Post
    Considering he using phrases like 'retardingly amazing' and 'Transformers was fucking robbed', I highly doubt that. Whilst I agree that Transformers was robbed, due to nothing more than a snob attitude, the blog looks like it was written by a 16 year old. I can't it doing Bay any favours by having it posted up on his site.
    While I agree with everything that blogger said about Transformers being robbed, I also agree with Kevski, its not a good look being posted on the front page of the site.. if Michael had something to say himself that would be fine for front page material.. but this blog post isnt the best thing to have up on the front page..

Quote Originally Posted by starscream1017 View Post
    While I agree with everything that blogger said about Transformers being robbed, I also agree with Kevski, its not a good look being posted on the front page of the site.. if Michael had something to say himself that would be fine for front page material.. but this blog post isnt the best thing to have up on the front page..
    Exactly! That's why I asked my question. I even saw that Tyrese posted this on his twitter and he referred to it as an official letter from Michael Bay's forum to the Oscars.

Quote Originally Posted by frolunda71 View Post
    Well after the Academy voted for Hugo to win against DOTM in both sound and special effects, I have to say I have p r e t t y high hopes for the movie when it comes out in Sweden on March 16th!! It better have the best 3D ever seen on a big screen! It better blow the wingsuit scene from DOTM to oblivion when it comes to how good 3D you really can get when it's done right! When it comes to sound, I sure hope they have pushed the 7.1 sound to a whole new level! IF! the movie doesn't crush DOTM in both the special effects and how good it sounds, then all of the 6000 people who are members of the Academy, minus all of them who worked on DOTM, can line themselves in a line outside my door to my apartment and come and kiss my ass!!
    It don't. The sad thing, of all of the movies nominated, Hugo was actually the worst. Transformers 3 and Rise of the Planet of the Apes had the best last year!

So who's going to have the best this year????? It's hard to tell with the oscars, but if I were a betting gal, I'd put my money on The Hobbit.

This guy is my new hero.

Just kidding. But he has the greatest damn point that I've ever seen. Why? 'Cause it's the point I've been making since June.
    Ya just wanna die for the guy. Now that's leadership... Or brainwashing or something.

Lightbulb oscars

how the hell can hugo win best sound and visual over transformers. even a 5 year old will tell you that's bullshit.
    what is soo visually stunning about hugo? is it the train or the little dummy robot who writes?. look at steven speilbergs face when hugo won best picture, it says bullshit. either the academy board has no sense of visual awareness, refuse to recognize transformers for the master piece it because grudges with michael bay and the way he does thing. the box office speaks for it self. do you thing james camerons avatar would have gotten even one award if it wasnt for its 2.7 billion dollar gross? the academy board refuses to understand one thing, low budget sad dramatic film does not make a good movie.