Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pearl Harbor commentary

Default Re: Pearl Harbor commentary

Finally managed to order the special edition DVD. Hope it gets here soon. I heard there were some hidden special features in it. Is that true?

When Pearl Harbour is gonna be converted to 3D its gonna look awesome i think or thats what i hope..
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...
    I'm a decepticon and my name is _____ All Hail Megatron!

Mind: California. Body: Between US & Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingheart View Post
    When Pearl Harbour is gonna be converted to 3D...

This is not "Transformers" or "Pirates".

I seriously doubt that people want to watch the Pearl Harbor attack in 3D and say "how kewl" the 3D effect looks when young men and women are blown to pieces and killed like dogs. So thanks, but no thanks.

War movies, especially those based on actual events, should be left the way they are. No 3D conversion, no nothing.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Senior Member Bot of Badassness's Avatar

But wouldn't it make people feel more envolved in such a disaster?

Quote Originally Posted by Bot of Badassness View Post
    But wouldn't it make people feel more envolved in such a disaster?

In my view, the movie did a pretty good job at presenting the horror....and it really puts the viewer in the middle of the tragedy. And all of that, without 3D. Same thing can be said about "Black Hawk Down" and "Saving Private Ryan".

I always say that 3D works best for sci-fi movies ("Avatar" and "Transformers") and animated films (think Pixar). War movies....no. Especially hardcore R-rated war movies.

P.S. Yes, I know that "Pearl Harbor" is PG-13, but it's still a very effective war movie that contains a lot of "unpleasant" scenes.
    "You know why the departures and the arrivals at LAX are on separate levels? So the 30,000 heartbreakers that come here each month don't notice the 30,000 that are leaving with their hearts broken."

Senior Member Bot of Badassness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem View Post
    In my view, the movie did a pretty good job at presenting the horror....and it really puts the viewer in the middle of the tragedy.
    Fair enough, I still enjoy watching PH, even with it being in 2D

I think the romance part of the film might in fact be the reason why it shouldn't be in 3D, all that we can experience in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhem

This is not "Transformers" or "Pirates".

I seriously doubt that people want to watch the Pearl Harbor attack in 3D and say "how kewl" the 3D effect looks when young men and women are blown to pieces and killed like dogs. So thanks, but no thanks.

War movies, especially those based on actual events, should be left the way they are. No 3D conversion, no nothing.
    I was not talking in a disrespectful way, its just a effect that could be added to the movie with all those planes and all other materials flying through the sky, if you havent noticed, Michael Bay sometimes puts the effect in a movie as if objects are coming straight towards your face but they just scrape you along the sides of your face as if your in the scene yourself it's an almost 3D effect but in 2D i think this is why James Cameron said that Michael is meant to film in 3D.
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...

Quote Originally Posted by Bot of Badassness
    Fair enough, I still enjoy watching PH, even with it being in 2D

I think the romance part of the film might in fact be the reason why it shouldn't be in 3D, all that we can experience in reality.
    Yeah i agree with you on that, PH is awesome in 2D to watch i just wonder if it would be any good in 3D if it ever comes..

...Michael Bay sometimes puts the effect in a movie as if objects are coming straight towards your face but they just scrape you along the sides of your face as if your in the scene yourself it's an almost 3D effect but in 2D...

All of that can be seen in "Armageddon". Now this is a Michael Bay movie that I'd gladly pay to see in 3D. Come to think of it, that film is absolutely perfect for 3D.

All of that can be seen in "Armageddon". Now this is a Michael Bay movie that I'd gladly pay to see in 3D. Come to think of it, that film is absolutely perfect for 3D.
    I was thinking about that a couple days ago, when I was giving the blu-ray a spin. I would love a 3D conversion of Armageddon, as long as it's a good conversion.
    Optimus: "Amazing! A booby trap that actually catches boobies!"

I don't think 3D is disrespectful to a movie with historical events, i think it gives more depth and as a result you will feel more immersed in the movie, for some people 2D is enough and that's fine, i lose 2D to..
    But look, i know there are some people out there who get loads of movies watch everyone that comes out but if you go and watch a movie with them, they don't show one kick of emotion which is really sad i think, i'm laughing my ass off with certain funny scenes in a comedy while this person clearly has seen to many movies and has become numb with this.. it's the same with junkies.. you give them a certain drug and when they use it everyday they want something stronger.
    3D is not a addiction, it's just a effect that makes a movie even more enjoyable or intense whatever 3D add's to that certain type of movie and it's something new.. and yes, even Saving Private Ryan can have 3D if you ask me.. without disrespecting any veterans.. it's just something technical that's added to a movie in my view.

You can feel or think different that's your fair right, but this is just how i see it.

...even Saving Private Ryan can have 3D if you ask me.. without disrespecting any veterans.. it's just something technical that's added to a movie in my view.

There is nothing to add, and there's a reason why they don't convert these types of films from 2D to 3D. And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this thing out. Films like "Pearl Harbor", "Black Hawk Down" and "Saving Private Ryan" honor the people who were involved in these events and frankly it would be a damn shame if someone decides to re-release them in "kewl, modern" 3D for all the young folks to cheer at the screen when someone is stabbed or blown to pieces. Yes, some scenes would look great in 3D, but they look great in 2D too.

Crowd pleasers like "Transformers 3" and "Pirates 4" are great for 3D and I liked watching them that way. But let's keep serious war movies out of this whole "3D mania".

Films like "Pearl Harbor", "Black Hawk Down" and "Saving Private Ryan" honor the people who were involved in these events and frankly it would be a damn shame if someone decides to re-release them in "kewl, modern" 3D for all the young folks to cheer at the screen when someone is stabbed or blown to pieces.
    Absolutely. These movies have a different purpose. They're not meant to amuse the audience while they eat popcorn and cheer.

Well i view it differently, but i agree that it's not a must to convert these movies into 3D cause 2D is still possible to view on these TV's and do you really believe there are people out there who cheer when someone dies on screen? really? i have never witnessed anything like that in my life.. if you cheer at something like that then your a 100%, 1st class, dumb, stupid, moron to do so and have no respect for the dead. if these kinds of people really do exist then yeah your totally right about that.

In a psychological way people who laugh with this are or very scared of death, wanna die themselves, have nothing to live for and are crazy people or are just sadistic cruel human beings.
    It's very sad if you ever had to whiteness these types of people sit near you in the theater.

Next time you come across these types of people in the theater you should walk up to them and tell them "seek help" and just walk away or just yell it in the dark to them after such a moment.

Any word on a release for what was the 4 disk DVD Directors cut as a blue-ray?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Carroll View Post

No word.

I wouldn't hold my breath though. The movie was already released on Blu-ray (the theatrical version) - those who wanted it have already bought it - and I doubt they'll release the Director's Cut just to please few fans who demand to see it on that format. It'll be great, but I don't think it'll happen. Years from now...maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Carroll View Post
    You really can't as the extra behind the scenes footage was shot on non-HD video.

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    You really can't as the extra behind the scenes footage was shot on non-HD video.
    That's silly; extras are released as SD on Blu-rays all the time.

The question is whether the Vista Series cut exists as anything but SD video, the same as whether the Criterion cut of Armageddon exists in any reasonable HD format.

Quote Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
    That's silly; extras are released as SD on Blu-rays all the time.

The question is whether the Vista Series cut exists as anything but SD video, the same as whether the Criterion cut of Armageddon exists in any reasonable HD format.
    It makes no sense releasing it as a Blu-ray collection when 3 of 4 disk are SD. If they release it, let it be as Bay's cut all by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    It makes no sense releasing it as a Blu-ray collection when 3 of 4 disk are SD. If they release it, let it be as Bay's cut all by itself.
    It would only need to be two discs - one BD for the film (it was on two DVDs) and the two DVDs of extras on one BD containing the SD content.

Pity the Director's Cut hasn't even been made available via say iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by kevski View Post
    Remember that ultimate edition 4 disc Pearl Harbor DVD? Well it wasn't so ultimate if you live in the UK. We missed the director's commentary, the director's cut and it was in shitty plastic boxes. I still got mugged and bought it back in '02 though (dayum! 2002!!!).

I'm just gutted that I've never been able to listen to the commentary just because I live in the UK. Seriously what was the reason for that??? Anyway, is there any way of obtaining it? Does any have a link? Would anybody be kind enough to send me an mp3 so I can listen alongside the film. I'll pay you in... ummm.. plectrums!
    If you still want the commentary I can upload it.

Quote Originally Posted by digifruitella View Post

Upload it. A lot of folks around here will be grateful, trust me. I've received many PM's from people who wanted Bay's commentary (I blame my avatar for that ), but I have no idea how to extract it as an mp3 file. Or any kind of file for that matter...

Feel free to upload it. A lot of folks around here will be grateful, trust me. I've received many PM's from people who wanted Bay's commentary (I blame my avatar for that ), but I have no idea how to extract it as an mp3 file. Or any kind of file for that matter...
    It's DVD right? You can download simple DVD to MP3 software. Just play that certain part and convert it.

Quote Originally Posted by digifruitella View Post
    Thanks man, but I ended up biting the bullet and buying the US version in the end. (I now own 4 versions of this damn film haha).

However, if you have The Island commentary available to upload, that would be awesome. It doesn't work in any DVD player I've tried.
    I've always defended Michael Bay against attacks that his films are full of stupid explosions, girls in underwear and mindless characters... but then he made Transformers 2 and I conceded...

Quote Originally Posted by kevski View Post
    Thanks man, but I ended up biting the bullet and buying the US version in the end. (I now own 4 versions of this damn film haha).

However, if you have The Island commentary available to upload, that would be awesome. It doesn't work in any DVD player I've tried.
    Ahh well, that works out - I realize I don't have my Pearl Harbor DVD anymore, but I do have The Island - so I'll upload it in the coming days. Actually, since it works out - maybe you can actually rip the commentary from Pearl Harbor and upload it - I want to listen to it again. I will show you how to do it through a PM.

But hold tight, The Island commentary is coming