Thread: Michael Bay School of Film

Cool Michael Bay School of Film

I realize that this thread will likely get moved, but I would implore Nelson to keep it where it is, or even start a new subsection on the subject.
    The Film making section is over run with other movies, and seems to be only about crits of movies or reviews. What i'm proposing is somewhat different.

As with most young professionals in the film industry, I'm fascinated by the works of those at the top of their game, and as is self evident by my posting in this forum, the works of Mr. Bay himself.

Like many of us, I've watched his contributions to the big screen with great enjoyment, shelled out for repeated viewings in the local multiplex, and bought all the Blu-Rays on the market. I'm almost embarrassed to admit the number of times I've listened to the commentary tracks on the 2 Transformers films (nine times at present), or sat with friends and discussed at length the the greatness of Bay's style (much to the chagrin of many of them).

But What I don't think Bay Has done enough of, and what I hope he will do on this site, is talk about his process.
    Some many say that he has more than done this in the Behind the Scenes docs on the DVD and Blu-Ray releases, but I would disagree. I feel he has talked in a very general way about his films and the people involved, peppered in a few anecdotes here and there. I think, and and I'm sure many would agree, I would be amazing if we put away the kid gloves and really had the opportunity to talk shop.

Michael, If you are reading this, I would ask you to consider opening up to your fans a little more about the technical and creative process, and maybe shed some light on your thoughts about how to construct a film.

Why do you choose the lenses you do? How do you break down your scripts? Why do you cut on an Avid? What is it about Raising Arizona that you liked so much? Why do you hate that got Milk add you did? Do you ever watch Breaking Bad and question the motivation of the odd cuts to 10 mil wide angle close ups that come out of nowhere?

The last one is ridiculous to be sure, but I feel that once you've been in the buisness for a while, your perception changes. it's no longer about watching a story, it becomes about the pacing and transition of the edit, the color pallet and set dec, the integration of VFX into the shots, bad matte paintings, etc.

Your execution is quite unconventional, and yet simultaneously Masterful, I think we'd all like to know a little more about the how and why of what motivates you as an artist, and how that gets translated into the work you do.

SO, my first question is this: Now that you've post converted 3D and acquired it natively, what would you do differently if you had the chance to do it again?

Default Re: Michael Bay School of Film

Please, write in a watchable color.

Default Re: Michael Bay School of Film

Sorry, is this any better?
    Quote Originally Posted by omnimorphic View Post
    I realize that this thread will likely get moved, but I would implore Nelson to keep it where it is, or even start a new subsection on the subject.
    The Film making section is over run with other movies, and seems to be only about crits of movies or reviews. What i'm proposing is somewhat different.

As with most young professionals in the film industry, I'm fascinated by the works of those at the top of their game, and as is self evident by my posting in this forum, the works of Mr. Bay himself.

Like many of us, I've watched his contributions to the big screen with great enjoyment, shelled out for repeated viewings in the local multiplex, and bought all the Blu-Rays on the market. I'm almost embarrassed to admit the number of times I've listened to the commentary tracks on the 2 Transformers films (nine times at present), or sat with friends and discussed at length the the greatness of Bay's style (much to the chagrin of many of them).

But What I don't think Bay Has done enough of, and what I hope he will do on this site, is talk about his process.
    Some many say that he has more than done this in the Behind the Scenes docs on the DVD and Blu-Ray releases, but I would disagree. I feel he has talked in a very general way about his films and the people involved, peppered in a few anecdotes here and there. I think, and and I'm sure many would agree, I would be amazing if we put away the kid gloves and really had the opportunity to talk shop.

Michael, If you are reading this, I would ask you to consider opening up to your fans a little more about the technical and creative process, and maybe shed some light on your thoughts about how to construct a film.

Why do you choose the lenses you do? How do you break down your scripts? Why do you cut on an Avid? What is it about Raising Arizona that you liked so much? Why do you hate that got Milk add you did? Do you ever watch Breaking Bad and question the motivation of the odd cuts to 10 mil wide angle close ups that come out of nowhere?

The last one is ridiculous to be sure, but I feel that once you've been in the buisness for a while, your perception changes. it's no longer about watching a story, it becomes about the pacing and transition of the edit, the color pallet and set dec, the integration of VFX into the shots, bad matte paintings, etc.

Your execution is quite unconventional, and yet simultaneously Masterful, I think we'd all like to know a little more about the how and why of what motivates you as an artist, and how that gets translated into the work you do.

SO, my first question is this: Now that you've post converted 3D and acquired it natively, what would you do differently if you had the chance to do it again?