Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 160

Thread: iPhone 4S, Siri...

  1. #1
    Senior Member Trailbreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    11,114

    Default iPhone 4S, Siri...

    Holy...



    If it weren't for cell phone companies' ridiculously overpriced data packages I would have this phone in a heartbeat.

  2. #2
    Senior Member TIMtationX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    2,099

    Default

    I'm just glad Sprint finally gets an invite the iPhone party.

  3. #3
    Senior Member r-type's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX
    I'm just glad Sprint finally gets an invite the iPhone party.
    Welcome to the cool side of the pillow. [Billy Dee voice]

  4. #4
    Senior Member Flyingheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Europe, Belgium, Antwerp, Brecht.
    Posts
    3,989

    Default Re: iPhone 4S, Siri...

    Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    Holy...



    If it weren't for cell phone companies' ridiculously overpriced data packages I would have this phone in a heartbeat.
    Dude! this is a *wink* to Cody and others! the background song Ray Charles was blind! Michael's contact with Steve Jobs really paid off! this is fantastic! look at 00:57 they show this is also perfect for bad sighted people or blind people this is perfect!
    But i wonder if this voice recognition is good enough for Cody?? of course its only in its first stages of development but lets hope so..
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...
    I'm a decepticon and my name is _____ All Hail Megatron!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Trailbreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    11,114

    Default Re: iPhone 4S, Siri...

    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingheart View Post
    Dude! this is a *wink* to Cody and others! the background song Ray Charles was blind! Michael's contact with Steve Jobs really paid off! this is fantastic! look at 00:57 they show this is also perfect for bad sighted people or blind people this is perfect!
    But i wonder if this voice recognition is good enough for Cody?? of course its only in its first stages of development but lets hope so..
    Right now, the site even admits it's still beta (http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/siri.html), but damn! That's one hell of a beta! I think this is Apple's way of trying to rid voice recognition technology of its "gimmick" status the same they rid touch screen technology of its gimmick status before.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Flyingheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Europe, Belgium, Antwerp, Brecht.
    Posts
    3,989

    Default Re: iPhone 4S, Siri...

    Siri needs a little more work..

    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...
    I'm a decepticon and my name is _____ All Hail Megatron!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Flyingheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Europe, Belgium, Antwerp, Brecht.
    Posts
    3,989

    Default Re: iPhone 4S, Siri...

    Well i ordered my first Iphone the Iphone 4S and Siri is starting to get pretty neat...

    Australian accent


    But i did read somewhere the Scottish accent is still not working lol :P
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...
    I'm a decepticon and my name is _____ All Hail Megatron!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Flyingheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Europe, Belgium, Antwerp, Brecht.
    Posts
    3,989

    Default Re: iPhone 4S, Siri...



    Siri is getting so cool :borat
    When i Transform i release rockets with nanobot-viruses that destroys you from within... the fuel inside you will turn into acid, metal will melt instantly...
    I'm a decepticon and my name is _____ All Hail Megatron!

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    None of your God damn business!
    Posts
    742

    Default Re: iPhone 4S, Siri...

    Apple have THE best marketing people in the Universe! Android have had voice activated app for years and 90% of tablets on the market outweigh the iPad 2 in every category but all companies were unable to release their devices until after the iPad 2 because they simply don't have Apples's marketing geniuses and a unlimited supply of mindless money making zombie consumers to survive off.

    The Android is out there!

    "we were selling rich women their own fat asses back to them" ~ Fight Club

  10. #10
    Senior Member r-type's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Majestic
    a unlimited supply of mindless money making zombie consumers to survive off.
    "They're coming to get you Barbara"

    - Sent from my iPhone

  11. #11
    Senior Member Ed Fuego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Lexington Park, MD
    Posts
    888

    Default Re: iPhone 4S, Siri...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Majestic View Post
    Apple have THE best marketing people in the Universe! Android have had voice activated app for years and 90% of tablets on the market outweigh the iPad 2 in every category but all companies were unable to release their devices until after the iPad 2 because they simply don't have Apples's marketing geniuses and a unlimited supply of mindless money making zombie consumers to survive off.

    The Android is out there!

    "we were selling rich women their own fat asses back to them" ~ Fight Club
    Siri is more than just a voice activated app, because the iPhone has had a voice activated app for years as well. Siri is much more than that.

    As for 90% of tablets in the market outweighing the iPad 2, do you mean that they literally weigh more, because I would agree with that. Of course, based on the numbers I've seen, more iPad 2's were sold in the first week that it was on the market than all other tablets have sold in their lifetime. And by 90%, do you mean the other 2? (Is there 2 others being sold?)

    And suggesting that all 50 million or so of the people who bought iOS devices are zombies is pretty silly. I mean, there's no way it's more than 40 million of us.

    And couldn't I say the same thing about Android users? Don't many of them drink the "it's open therefore it's better" kool-aid just a little bit too hard? Doesn't that make them zombies as well?

    "I am Jack's complete lack of surprise. " ~ Fight Club

    Ed Fuego
    "can you ban people who put other members quotes in their sig? if that is not a tell all sign that a person is going to be annoying i don't know what is."
    - thegreat

  12. #12
    Administrator nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,869

    Default Re: iPhone 4S, Siri...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Majestic View Post
    Apple have THE best marketing people in the Universe! Android have had voice activated app for years and 90% of tablets on the market outweigh the iPad 2 in every category but all companies were unable to release their devices until after the iPad 2 because they simply don't have Apples's marketing geniuses and a unlimited supply of mindless money making zombie consumers to survive off.

    The Android is out there!

    "we were selling rich women their own fat asses back to them" ~ Fight Club
    Actually, Apple had this in mind since 1987.

    Based on the dates mentioned in the Knowledge Navigator video, it takes place on September 16, 2011. The date on the professor's calendar is September 16, and he's looking for a 2006 paper written "about five years ago," setting the year as 2011.

    And this morning, at the iPhone keynote, Apple announced Siri, a natural language-based voice assistant, would be built into iOS 5 and a core part of the new iPhone 4S.

    So, 24 years ago, Apple predicted a complex natural-language voice assistant built into a touchscreen Apple device, and was less than a month off.


  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hour north of Chicago
    Posts
    257

    Default Re: iPhone 4S, Siri...

    Thats amazing thanks for teaching me something new Nelson. Im going to have to skip out on the 4s unfortunately because I have the 4, but it does seem pretty cool. Apple is a crazy company, hope they stay around for decades to come, which most certainly will happen.

  14. #14
    Senior Member TIMtationX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    2,099

    Default

    A friend of mine paid $680 for the iPhone 4s, even though he only had to wait 2 more months for his upgrade. He told me Apple could put it's logo on a brick, and he'd still buy it. THOSE are the ones people are referring to when they say Apple zombies.

  15. #15
    Senior Member r-type's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,578

    Default Re: iPhone 4S, Siri...

    Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
    A friend of mine paid $680 for the iPhone 4s, even though he only had to wait 2 more months for his upgrade. He told me Apple could put it's logo on a brick, and he'd still buy it. THOSE are the ones people are referring to when they say Apple zombies.
    "Players do what they want, haters do what they can" - Nietzsche

    Kidding aside, while that's a fair (but ultimately anecdotal) example, that kind of consumer behavior isn't necessarily exclusive to Apple products, is it? Personally, I just find it funny how someone will go into a Coca-Cola thread, unsolicited, to yell Pepsi (with antagonizing generalizations), is all, Tim.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Ed Fuego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Lexington Park, MD
    Posts
    888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TIMtationX
    A friend of mine paid $680 for the iPhone 4s, even though he only had to wait 2 more months for his upgrade. He told me Apple could put it's logo on a brick, and he'd still buy it. THOSE are the ones people are referring to when they say Apple zombies.
    Well, I mean, in your friends defense, an Apple designed brick would be pretty badass.

    Just kidding; your are right, that is excessive, although if somebody really likes a particular brand, who am I to argue how they show loyalty to that brand?

    I'm Ed Fuego, that's who!

    Wait, that isn't where I was going with that.

    As r-type pointed out (I can't believe I'm giving you credit for something), the crazy zombies exist for every brand, on both sides, and of course each side thinks their side is only comprised of completely balanced, rational people.

    Ed Fuego
    "can you ban people who put other members quotes in their sig? if that is not a tell all sign that a person is going to be annoying i don't know what is."
    - thegreat

  17. #17
    Senior Member jamjam101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Toronto CANADA
    Posts
    675

    Default Re: iPhone 4S, Siri...

    This tool makes people into a lazy turd. We now have to have our txts and emails read to us? We have to have the weather told to us? If We go as far as picking up the phone and talking to a machine, can't they just click the weather app and READ?!

    It makes sense from the driving standpoint for safety, but other than that, these "productivity" tools are making people more and more lazy.

    There doesn't seem to be an effort anymore for people to figure out the littlest things. Couldn't that man just look up article data base and make an effort to find that article from 5 years ago? No wonder America's GPA is not increasing.

    What I hate about companies like Apple is that they market the shit out of their products making it seem like the greatest thing on the face of the earth and that it's a 'people's product'. Bullshit. It's corporate GREED making unrepairable, proprietary products so you'd HAVE to buy from them. What's sad is that people fall for their marketing tactics. It's smart business I'll give them credit. But it's certainly not for the consumer's benefit.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Trailbreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    11,114

    Default Re: iPhone 4S, Siri...

    I love being lazy.

  19. #19
    Senior Member r-type's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,578

    Default

    Today I learned that using an iPhone will turn me into a lazy turd.

    Siri just typed this up for me.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Ed Fuego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Lexington Park, MD
    Posts
    888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamjam101
    This tool makes people into a lazy turd. We now have to have our txts and emails read to us? We have to have the weather told to us? If We go as far as picking up the phone and talking to a machine, can't they just click the weather app and READ?!

    It makes sense from the driving standpoint for safety, but other than that, these "productivity" tools are making people more and more lazy.

    There doesn't seem to be an effort anymore for people to figure out the littlest things. Couldn't that man just look up article data base and make an effort to find that article from 5 years ago? No wonder America's GPA is not increasing.

    What I hate about companies like Apple is that they market the shit out of their products making it seem like the greatest thing on the face of the earth and that it's a 'people's product'. Bullshit. It's corporate GREED making unrepairable, proprietary products so you'd HAVE to buy from them. What's sad is that people fall for their marketing tactics. It's smart business I'll give them credit. But it's certainly not for the consumer's benefit.
    First, I agree that people are lazier nowadays. But it's not the fault of technology. The problem is that the teachers (and I use that term in the most general sense, not just in school) of our youth use that technology to replace teaching basic principles and techniques instead of just using it to enhance the basics. Technology, in the right hands, in combination with the basics, is incredibly powerful and effective.

    Second, and you went off the rails here:

    A company making products people love is not in people's benefit how? Are the people aware of this?

    Unrepairable? Proprietary? Did we just take a time machine back to 1996?

    You know what jam, you don't like Apple products, that's fine. I've got no problem with that.

    But don't suggest that I have been duped by them. It's a pathetic argument, and doesn't do anything other that make your argument look ridiculous. I use the best tools at my disposal whenever I can, especially when they help me focus on doing great things instead of focusing on the technology.

    Plus it's insulting because I'm really smart.

    Maybe need to work on my humility.

    But really fucking smart.

    Ed Fuego
    "can you ban people who put other members quotes in their sig? if that is not a tell all sign that a person is going to be annoying i don't know what is."
    - thegreat

  21. #21
    Senior Member Trailbreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    11,114

    Default Re: iPhone 4S, Siri...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Fuego View Post
    First, I agree that people are lazier nowadays. But it's not the fault of technology. The problem is that the teachers (and I use that term in the most general sense, not just in school) of our youth use that technology to replace teaching basic principles and techniques instead of just using it to enhance the basics. Technology, in the right hands, in combination with the basics, is incredibly powerful and effective.
    I second this. In fact, I'll go by example. This past semester I've pretty much mastered Excel through my Microcomputer Applications class and even now, I'm using that knowledge for other courses.

    But I guess that means I am now too lazy to use a calculator to solve and apply functions manually as well as drawing tables and charts with a pencil and ruler.

    In my POV, we need something like Siri. Not to help propagate our laziness, but to help us deal with the constant increasing bombardment of information present in today's age. Because of that, it'll give us more time to do other things. That's not being lazy. It's being productive.

  22. #22
    Senior Member jamjam101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Toronto CANADA
    Posts
    675

    Default Re: iPhone 4S, Siri...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Fuego View Post
    Unrepairable? Proprietary? Did we just take a time machine back to 1996?

    Plus it's insulting because I'm really smart.

    Maybe need to work on my humility.

    But really fucking smart.
    Unrepairable as in that their parts are not replaceable at ease IE. battery. Oh, and it's the only phone right now that takes micro sim cards. That forces consumer to go to an Apple store or to John Doe's Cell phone repairs.

    Proprietary as in...proprietary. Microsoft does it, Apple does it. It's smart business. You need accessories? You have to buy proprietary accessories. Nothing else works. Can you prove otherwise?

    But don't suggest that I have been duped by them. It's a pathetic argument, and doesn't do anything other that make your argument look ridiculous.
    It's not ridiculous. It's valid. I was not talking specifically to you and Apple. I was being general and using Apple as the grand example. They really know how to grab a consumer's attention. It clearly worked on you and millions of others. How is that pathetic argument?

    Plus it's insulting because I'm really smart.

    Maybe need to work on my humility.

    But really fucking smart.
    You have the arrogance of Steve Jobs.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Ed Fuego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Lexington Park, MD
    Posts
    888

    Default Re: iPhone 4S, Siri...

    Quote Originally Posted by jamjam101 View Post
    Unrepairable as in that their parts are not replaceable at ease IE. battery. Oh, and it's the only phone right now that takes micro sim cards. That forces consumer to go to an Apple store or to John Doe's Cell phone repairs.

    Proprietary as in...proprietary. Microsoft does it, Apple does it. It's smart business. You need accessories? You have to buy proprietary accessories. Nothing else works. Can you prove otherwise?



    It's not ridiculous. It's valid. I was not talking specifically to you and Apple. I was being general and using Apple as the grand example. They really know how to grab a consumer's attention. It clearly worked on you and millions of others. How is that pathetic argument?



    You have the arrogance of Steve Jobs.

    Well, as far as replacing the battery, it is rarely a problem, so why is it important? I've had two iphones since 2007, never had a need to replace the battery. Micro SIM cards? That's an example of being unrepairable? Micro SIM cards weren't invented by Apple, and I'm pretty sure they decided to use them because they figured they would become very common (they still might). I think it's a little early to call that one.

    As for proprietary, I see your point. I'm still not sure how it's a problem, and should be used as a major knock on Apple (or Microsoft). It's not like there are only four accessories. Yes, you are limited, but it's like saying to a kid, "you can have anything you want for your birthday, as long as you buy it from Toys R Us." Rough problem to have.

    And as for pathetic, I still think it is after your further clarification. Or if not pathetic, perhaps unnecessary? Ineffective? If you were to say, "Apple knows how to grab the consumers' attention" (as you did above), that would be fine. That's a fair and valid statement. But you didn't say that initially. You said "What's sad is that people fall for their marketing tactics", suggesting that "it's sad that people are so stupid that they are confused by marketing into buying a crappy product." That's not valid, it's unfair, and again, it insults the intelligence of people who buy their products. And if you weren't talking about me, who were you talking about? As a member of the board, I'm your audience. I'm going to read it and responsd.

    And as for your Steve Jobs comparison, I'm not sure I could have asked for a better compliment.

    I plan to change to world like he did.


    Ed Fuego
    "can you ban people who put other members quotes in their sig? if that is not a tell all sign that a person is going to be annoying i don't know what is."
    - thegreat

  24. #24
    Administrator nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,869

    Default Re: iPhone 4S, Siri...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Majestic View Post
    Apple have THE best marketing people in the Universe! Android have had voice activated app for years and 90% of tablets on the market outweigh the iPad 2 in every category but all companies were unable to release their devices until after the iPad 2 because they simply don't have Apples's marketing geniuses and a unlimited supply of mindless money making zombie consumers to survive off.

    :
    Uhm, no.

    Apple’s Share of the 2011 Tablet Market: 75 Percent or More

  25. #25
    Senior Member jamjam101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Toronto CANADA
    Posts
    675

    Default Re: iPhone 4S, Siri...

    Apple can change the slightest thing year after year on their products and people will shell out their money and buy it. Hey, even I fell for it for a while when I got the 3G then a few months later wanted the 3GS. Then common sense hit me. Why change what's working fine?

    See Apple is smart. They can release a product that has almost everything...(most smart phones now days do- Mini HDMI, microSD, micro USB, replaceable batteries, changeable skins, mod able OS). But they don't so that they can add a slight difference and call it a new product. Therefore more phones, pads and mp3 players go out in the market. They can clearly come out with a product that will blow everything in the market away but they won't. They do it incrementally.

    Look at PS3 vs. 360. Let' forget the game vs. game and who has better titles, cause I really don't care. From a hardware standpoint, when the PS3 came out in 06, it came with features that were future proof - Bluray, HDMI, bluetooth. The HDMI alone was something Sony foresaw as being a standard in 1080P AND it can output lossless audio AND to this date, launch consoles can output 3D through the same HDMI outputs.

    360 on the other hand didn't have any of that. They will never support bluray, but that's another story. My point is, Sony invested a lot of technology on one product that was almost $1K when it was released at launch. Now 5 years later it costs LESS than one of the 360 versions. Sony I think JUST started making profit out of their consoles.

    Either Microsoft didn't think that far ahead when designing the 360...or they did, but said fuck it, let's rush this even though it over heats because we will just rerelease this a few more times and people will want to buy it because everyone will have HD tv's and sound systems so they NEEEED HDMI.

    It's all about global market share for corporations. PS3 is outselling 360 3:1 in Canada, and Android is outselling iPhone 5:1 in Canada. I know this cause I worked at Best Buy.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •